Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I'm a white software engineer and there are lots of times when entities are labled as slaves or masters. I've always thought this was a little weird and wondered if it was offensive to black people. Like for instance our builds are all handled by Jenkins. Jenkins implements master/slave architecture (as well as lots of other apps/systems). When discussing a problem with a build we often refer to the "jenkins slaves". These are the vm's that the build is running on. I always felt kind of weird discussing slaves in this context but literally everyone does it without batting and eye. Is this problematic? Is anyone here offended by this nomenclature?

Here is a wikipedia article for some additional context: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master/slave_(technology)
You've missed the recent conversation and movement around this I'm guessing?

www.businessinsider.com

Companies like Apple, Red Hat, and GitHub are dropping decades-old coding terms like 'slave' or 'blacklist.' Advocates say it's a small but important step towards a more inclusive tech industry

Here's why companies like GitHub, Apple, and Red Hat and open source projects like Linux and Google's Android are adding more inclusive terms.

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
Not from the US, but from general conversation people often seem to lump Seattle and Portland with progressive Californian cities. That not the case?
Total opposite at least for Portland. On the surface Portland appears to be the Oregon version of Austin, but it's no Austin. Problem is the American political spectrum does not recognize racist liberals and there are plenty of them. They lump them in with the good white people, not fair but it is what it is. Also California problem is high cost of living which overwhelmingly effects people of color which automatically ties into racism. Without counting the family car the average African American family (not black immigrants but descendants of slaves) are worth about $1,200 and typical white family 6 figures. Facts.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
You've missed the recent conversation and movement around this I'm guessing?

www.businessinsider.com

Companies like Apple, Red Hat, and GitHub are dropping decades-old coding terms like 'slave' or 'blacklist.' Advocates say it's a small but important step towards a more inclusive tech industry

Here's why companies like GitHub, Apple, and Red Hat and open source projects like Linux and Google's Android are adding more inclusive terms.
Yes I have. Thanks for the link. Definitely seems like the time has come to change these terms.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
Image that employee going to meet Phil, have lots of thing to say, but then Phil just told him "yeah you're right, so we're going to complete close it down, one and done".

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
People really think this is what caused MS to shut down Mixer ? Like really ? To go with fucking Facebook of all things ? Hilarious.

Oct 29, 2017
People really think this is what caused MS to shut down Mixer ? Like really ? To go with fucking Facebook of all things ? Hilarious.

They've probably been considering it for some time... the metrics haven't exactly been great (to put it lightly!), despite the huge amount they invested into it.

But I can believe that this incident was the final catalyst that sparked the decision...

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't know what he means by justice not being done though? Repercussions can still happen since layoffs have not been announced.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
They've probably been considering it for some time... the metrics haven't exactly been great, despite the huge amount they invested into it.

But I can believe that this was the final catalyst that sparked the decision...
With Spencer talk about the click to play thing, it was definitely something brewing for months and more.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It matters because Phil wants to root out the scum that will be part of the reorganization. Not every employee will be let go and he's going to want to know which to keep to help further the non-racist, non-sexist culture.

I agree, hopefully with the meeting Phil can put his fears to rest and use the information to clean house.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
They've probably been considering it for some time... the metrics haven't exactly been great (to put it lightly!), despite the huge amount they invested into it.

But I can believe that this incident was the final catalyst that sparked the decision...

Lol no? They've announced a deal with Facebook Gaming alongside this move to shut down operations of Mixer. This incident has nothing to do with it. You don't form partnerships like that on a whim overnight.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
- Thanks for meeting me Mr. Spencer, is a pleasure to meet you
- Oh, no problem, the pleasure is mine
- About the racism that plagues Mixer....
- Mix-wat? Sorry, we don't have a service called like that, you sure you don't mean Facebook Gaming? Yeah, I heard too, damn I hope they can do something about it.

Oct 29, 2017
Lol no? They've announced a deal with Facebook Gaming alongside this move to shut down operations of Mixer. This incident has nothing to do with it. You don't form partnerships like that on a whim overnight.

Quite frankly, what other option did they have?

There's literally nobody else they could've partnered with. It wouldn't take long to decide who to go with if they were already considering shutting down the division.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Quite frankly, what other option did they have?

There's literally nobody else they could've partnered with. It wouldn't take long to decide who to go with if they were already considering shutting down the division.

You're not making sense. My point is that regardless of who the deal is with, it's not something that would have just materialised overnight along with PR and announcements because a story came out about racism within Mixer. These kinds of deals and partnerships are months in the making. This is just a big coincidence.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
As far I as I know, they aren't removing anyone, just shifting staff? So it should be easy to just fire the perpetrators and move on. Also, hopefully, hire Milly in some role at Microsoft. That's the least they have to do to make it right.

Oct 29, 2017
You're not making sense. My point is that regardless of who the deal is with, it's not something that would have just materialised overnight along with PR and announcements because a story came out about racism within Mixer. These kinds of deals and partnerships are months in the making. This is just a big coincidence.

Oh of course, I'm not suggesting that everything happened immediately overnight. They have to have been considering cutting their losses with Mixer for some time now; given the metrics.

But the decision to dump it might well have not been one that had actually been finalised until last night, in light of the scandal (the fact that it happened so suddenly, with no warning or even a hint of a rumour also suggests this. Microsoft is leaky as fuck, so it's actually pretty shocking that nothing leaked about this at all). And if that was the case, it wouldn't take them long to decide to go with Facebook Gaming and announce the partnership at all since... well... there was literally no other option available to them.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
Oh of course, I'm not suggesting that everything happened immediately overnight. They have to have been considering cutting their losses with Mixer for some time now; given the metrics.

But the decision to dump it might well have not been one that had actually been finalised until last night, in light of the scandal (the fact that it happened so suddenly, with no warning or even a hint of a rumour also suggests this. Microsoft is leaky as fuck, so it's actually pretty shocking that nothing leaked about this at all). And if that was the case, it wouldn't take them long to decide to go with Facebook Gaming and announce the partnership at all since... well... there was literally no other option available to them.
I doubt that considering they had to negotiate with the streamers they signed like Shroud and Ninja. Both of whom ultimately decided to cut their losses and cash out their contracts. This took some time, especially when you think about the xCloud integrations they are working on with Facebook.

Oct 29, 2017
I doubt that considering they had to negotiate with the streamers they signed like Shroud and Ninja. Both of whom ultimately decided to cut their losses and cash out their contracts. This took some time, especially when you think about the xCloud integrations they are working on with Facebook.

That wasn't Mixer/Microsoft making those offers, that was Facebook. Obviously they would know in advance as soon as the decision was made.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
As far I as I know, they aren't removing anyone, just shifting staff? So it should be easy to just fire the perpetrators and move on. Also, hopefully, hire Milly in some role at Microsoft. That's the least they have to do to make it right.
Provided Milly is interested in working there again/anymore. There is no feel good ending to this though.
Edit: as stated by others though this was not a knee jerk reaction. It's just incredible timing.companies don't make those kind of deals on a 4 hour notice.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Executives at that level have their emails filtered. Something like that typically gets forwarded to HR. It is an example of why this is a problem that persists in most corporations. An email like that is forwarded by HR. HR makes it go away. For anyone else here who's sent a racism and sexual misconduct complaint to a high level executive, it's in some HR person's workbasket and their goal is to protect the corporation. Hence the cycle continues.

Must have changed since my time working as a service rep contractor, then.

I worked global technical escalations, I had contact to the Microsoft department chef of global escalations, head of EMEA public relations, and other technical chefs/heads in my field. Never was a work-related E-Mail ignored, even if it was just an acknowledgment. It's not like I spammed my bosses, if I contacted them (and not my immediate supervisor who was middle-management) it was for a reason. When my E-Mail was forwarded to another manager or department, the original manager either acknowledged that the issue was resolved because he got an update, or he asked me himself if the issue was resolved after some days.

At least on global escalations, every email/issue that got forwarded (or send to our desk) was expected to get an update from the receiving department if the issue was solved.
May be different in the gaming department or for HR/Internal issues but that would be weird when it was drummed into our head that it was Microsoft's way of being certain that nothing falls through the cracks.

Drksage

Oct 30, 2017

He just retweeted this... sounds like it wasn't the outcome he wanted.
q5cUB6N.png

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He just retweeted this... sounds like it wasn't the outcome he wanted.

I don't want to make assumptions eitherway with how the meeting turned out, atleast not right away. Those retweets though could be in regards to todays news regarding Mixer being sold/shut down as he no doubt feels like himself and former colleagues put alot of work into Mixer for nothing. It's going to take some time to make changes and I'm not sure how Phil would go about terminating those managers employment without starting another investigation.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Well the meeting agenda should also be what can MS do to eliminate racism and promote diversity, that agenda doesn't change.