Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Nocturne - 3rd person action adventure fighting Vampyres, werewolves etc as the trench coat wearing, dual pistol w/laser sights weielding "Stranger".

I'm genuinely not sure if I've ever met anyone else that knew about this game, let alone played it.

Also, Messiah , anyone?
Drakan and Crimson Skies getting love, glad to see that
Nocturne mentioned a few times but no media, so here's a trailer for it;

It got a quasi sequel in an unrelated game, Blair Witch Volume I: Rustin Parr and also launched the Bloodrayne series since she's your partner (or her forerunner is anyway) in a couple missions

We are among the few it seems

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Nocturne should've been remastered long ago

Like a RE4 type or something
Terminal Reality games tend to fall to the wayside of history, except maybe Ghostbusters, because of the license. Even their games for Microsoft (Fury3, Monster Truck Madness) are relegated to memories of Windows 95. A side effect of being associated with Gathering of Developers and not ending up at Take2 I guess.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Nocturne - 3rd person action adventure fighting Vampyres, werewolves etc as the trench coat wearing, dual pistol w/laser sights weielding "Stranger".

I'm genuinely not sure if I've ever met anyone else that knew about this game, let alone played it.

Also, Messiah , anyone?
Nocturne and sequel are on Steam and on my wishlist.

I learned of Messiah via Ross Scott's (the voice of Freeman's Mind) Game Dungeon series, and that's on the retro " to play" list, too!

hephaestus

Oct 28, 2017
2907-crusader-no-remorse-dos-front-cover.jpg

My friends and I were addicted to this game for ages, I`m actually surprised it never got a remake.

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
store.steampowered.com

Lords of the Realm II on Steam

The great Lords of England have their eyes on the the English throne! Muster an army and overrun your enemies' castles in this classic, nail-biting strategy game that blends turn-based and real-time gameplay.

Man, I loved this game so much. Not until looking it up right now did I realize it got a steam release. Guess I'll buy it again and see how it holds up.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
2907-crusader-no-remorse-dos-front-cover.jpg

My friends and I were addicted to this game for ages, I`m actually surprised it never got a remake.
Any word as to how the console versions compare to the PC version? I was honestly just thinking about this series a few days ago, but I'd rather pick up the PlayStation version than the PC version so I can just pop it into my PlayStation 3.

dipship31

Oct 26, 2017
The Legend of Kyrandia point n click games were overshadowed by a lot of other series, but I really loved them:

legend-of-kyrandia.png

1-kyrandia2_update8_000.png

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
Any word as to how the console versions compare to the PC version? I was honestly just thinking about this series a few days ago, but I'd rather pick up the PlayStation version than the PC version so I can just pop it into my PlayStation 3.

They run at half the resolution and control pretty poorly. Wouldn't recommend.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
PC is not click to move. They have the same control scheme, the console versions are just very unresponsive.

Deliverance

Aug 1, 2020
Awesome thread. I grew up in the era of shareware and game demos so I recognized a bunch of these.

Baldies, super weird strategy game

55V2cBUODD1l2k_ptR2mQpwhnqRX7klEfFU1voFCBV9mdXzjY4btCeJdUERGDgfAdJ7b2sYZlmtV_NSMiO5KT7yfYLf6fTnndb0cnprO

Stellar 7, space tank game

hqdefault.jpg

hephaestus

Oct 28, 2017
Unfortunately I never played the Console version, honestly I have no idea why this title popped into my head now after so long.

JoeBoy101

Oct 25, 2017
The Dark Eye is definitely up there when it comes to Forgotten PC games.

It's a rare horror title that i'm still wishing to see hit GoG.

The_Dark_Eye_cover_art.jpg

270931-darkeye_001.jpg
270934-darkeye_004.jpg

270933-darkeye_003.jpg
270932-darkeye_002.jpg

Giving this post some love. I played this when it came out it and its really unsettling with the animation and dolls. Poe would be proud.

Not least of which:

Wikipedia said:
Also notable was the use of author William S. Burroughs as a voice actor: Burroughs provided not only the voice for the character of Edwin, but also voiceovers for two slide-show sequences illustrating the short story "The Masque of the Red Death" and the poem "Annabel Lee". Another story, "The Premature Burial", can be found while reading the newspaper during "The Tell-Tale Heart", and the poem "To Helen" can be read while playing the victim in "Berenice".

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
For the fans of the heyday of isometric RPGs, Arcanum - 2001

1mQtxyu.jpg

j93Got8.jpg

A deliciously deep RPG set in a world of steampunk and magic. Layered racial and class systems that left it up to the player how they wanted to approach situations and deal out justice.

It's popular among hardcore fans of the genre, but I still come across RPG fans who never heard of it. It's certainly dated, but still enjoyable.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds. Sure, it is Age of Empires II but with Star Wars painting, but despite that, it was enjoyable back when I was a kid.

Another game that I wish people remembered was Star Wars Empire at War. And talking about Petroglyph and Westwood, what about Emperor Battle for Dune.

514BN47VMWL._AC_.jpg

This game, gameplay wise, wasn't nothing exceptional. But what stood of this game is the amazing soundtrack. Three different composers, one for each race. And while Klepacki is know for his amazing music, this time another composer did a better job: David Arkenstone. His Harkonnen soundtrack is the best.

Invincible
Tribute to Evil

IzzyRX

Powered by Friendship™
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

He goes over like, patching some games that need to be patched, as well as where to find obscure fixes and mods. It's seriously wonderful.

I remember this one, never played it, but my cousin did, however he never let me stay in his room to watch him play as it was 'not for kids', well, it looks like he was right. lol

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Its already been mentioned, but I'm going to add to the people praising the Descent games. Personally I prefer Descent 2 the most. It improved on the first game, and it also had a really good soundtrack. It was one of the games that really made me want a PC when I was a kid as my friend had this game. It definitely makes my top 5 90s PC games I think its that good.

Another one already mentioned is Total Annihilation Kingdoms, which was always overshadowed by the main game. Both are still worth playing as they're still great.

Star Wars Rebellion was a game I remember having fun with back in the day. Though until this thread even I forgot it existed.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Heavy_Gear_II_cover.png

I don't know of anyone who remembers playing Heavy Gear 2. For a game from 1999 the game had impressive multiplayer. It wss the first Direct3D game to be ported to OpenGL, and was the first to implement OpenAL at the time.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
A game I only played a couple of minutes on a (then) brand-new PC at a retail store. I had forgotten the name until last year or so.

Gangsters: Organized Crime.

I've always loved how it looked, though I have no idea how to actually play it, lol.

916rphv50xL._AC_SL1428_.jpg

gangsters-organized-crime-05.png

58392-gangsters-organized-crime-screenshot.jpg

63ruygy.jpg

1472447565-2119175279.jpg

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
I've seen plenty of people mention the Decent games but nobody mentioned these two games:
OIP.6GvG-g03YHxYVsEad7wzWwHaJO
OIP.DPmfwpQnl4AvwzfoGdFsowAAAA

(Descent Freespace 1 & 2)

So either they are still highly regarded or forgotten. Y'all tell me.
I just bought my first gaming PC. Haven't gamed on PC since the late 90s.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
Yes! I can actually answer a question like this lol.

MandaloreGaming does a fantastic job of giving overviews of old or obscure PC games. It's awesome. Great great channel. He did a good job of covering Pathologic 1.

If this is the one I'm thinking of, he also did a good job explaining Arx Fatalis

He goes over like, patching some games that need to be patched, as well as where to find obscure fixes and mods. It's seriously wonderful.

This looks great. Thanks!

Cdammen

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I've seen plenty of people mention the Decent games but nobody mentioned these two games:
OIP.6GvG-g03YHxYVsEad7wzWwHaJO
OIP.DPmfwpQnl4AvwzfoGdFsowAAAA

(Descent Freespace 1 & 2)

So either they are still highly regarded or forgotten. Y'all tell me.
I just bought my first gaming PC. Haven't gamed on PC since the late 90s.
These are gems. I loved dodging laser beams from capital ships while frantically trying to target a sub system. Was also super impressed by the volumetric (or faked volumetric) nebula clouds in FS2. I need to get a flight stick soon. Really wanna get deep into Elite Dangerous in VR.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
3f74bbc068d4b5346ab48884c949bd86.png

I think it was reviewed pretty average but I liked it a lot when it first came out. It was early 3D RTS so it probably doesn't hold up at all now.

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any good YouTube channels besides DF Retro and Lazy Game Reviews that talk about old PC games? Someone with the quality/style of Jeremy Parish?
www.youtube.com

Pixelmusement

Looking for info on some Ancient DOS Games? Then you've come to the right place! My name is Kris Asick; I am an indie game designer/programmer and a web show...

ADG has been my favourite DOS gaming series for years now. Kris does fantastic job but doesn't seem to get recognized anywhere for some reason.

Menome

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Heavy_Gear_II_cover.png

I don't know of anyone who remembers playing Heavy Gear 2. For a game from 1999 the game had impressive multiplayer. It wss the first Direct3D game to be ported to OpenGL, and was the first to implement OpenAL at the time.

As a kid, I got very confused in the pre-release to both Heavy Gear and Metal Gear Solid as I though both were the same game. I still have Heavy Gear lying around here somewhere too, though last I tried installing it back in Windows XP days, it was a bit fiddly even then. Dread to think of it now.

oh damn nocturne, didn't the devs make some other games too? was it the blair witch stuff?

Same producers and engine, but different developers:

I've still got my CD version :)

Trivia Fact: The Nocturne engine was then used for three survival-horror Blair Witch games:

Steeven

Oct 26, 2017
Loving this thread.

Here's my contribution:

Constructor. Apparently Constructor is playable on PS4 still. This was a hard game.

14520.jpg

...and its far superior successor Street Wars (or Mob Rule):

028e8c342d2c386b4ab27378fbcf490d558beeb38fbb9b603b19c2df2d0361be.jpg

Close Combat; I preffered the 4th installment: Battle of the Bulge. Your units gained experience and you bonded with them over time, making their deaths sometimes hard to swallow.

Close-Combat-IV-Battle-of-the-Bulge.jpg

SWAT 3. I fondly remember using my 56k modem to download new skins and visual mods. Great game, which also had a great successor in SWAT 4. They really should make a new one.

c6c1b3c6b1.jpg

Dungeon Keeper. It was great that it was possible to possess a creature and attack the enemy with it.

1537898848-525051634.jpg

Hidden and Dangerous. Now this was a truly revolutionary game at its time. There was a lot of freedom in how to approach the missions. You were able to switch between first and third person view. Most vehicles/tanks were usable. It was also very hard.

hidden-dangerous-deluxe-windows-.jpg

flobber

Nov 1, 2019
My friend was obsessed with Escape Velocity and after introducing me to it and let me play on his PowerPC it was all we talked about for weeks. It was cool how you could choose a mission path to become either a Rebel or Confederate, it was the first game I played that had a big choice impacting your endgame. I was so happy when I finally got my Rebel Cruiser and could take on the Confeds.

Valkyria

Oct 26, 2017
Pufff so many memories. Pc has so many forgotten games.
Nowdays playing on Pc is a wall in the park, even thougt I moved to consoles and never looked back.
Back them everything was a pain in the ass, sound card, processor, graphic card... I had an S3 virge and that thing was trash. I bought a Ge-Gorce 3 later on when it was cheaper, but in the end console were an streamlined experience.