Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS4 Is Hiding A PSVR Masterpiece

It's Black Friday week, so if you're a PlayStation fan, you might have your eye on that sweet Spider-Man PS4 bundle. If you already have a PS4, then you may be looking to finally pick up the amazing God of War, or the now classic Uncharted 4, or Horizon Zero Dawn, or even the dramatically cinematic Detroit: Become Human. Maybe multi-platform is more your style, so perhaps GOTY contender Red Dead Redemption 2 is on your radar, or perhaps you're just wanting a truck-load of Fortnite V-bucks so you can buy all those sweet skins.

What if I told you that PSVR should be on your shopping list, along with a copy of a little game called Astro Bot Rescue Mission? As it turns out, the game currently has a bundle of its own--packaged with a headset, a camera and the equally breathtaking Moss--on sale now at GameStop* for a reasonable $199.99. If you've never tried PSVR, or you're simply curious about the best of what the system has to offer, you might want to consider grabbing one of those bundles. But what does Astro Bot have to do with it, and is it really that good?

You've got your largely linear levels, which are actually more akin to something like Crash Bandicoot or Super Magnetic Neo than Super Mario 64. The whole setup is probably closer to Super Mario 3D World. Then you've got your coins, which you collect throughout the beautiful stages to spend later on a cool redemption crane game, in which you earn pieces of miniature 3D playsets to run around in at your leisure. And since this is an official rescue mission, there are plenty of wayward Astro Bots, eight of them per level that you need to find and save. This creates some nice replayability, since some of these little guys are really well hidden.

Speaking of hidden things, one of the aspects this game does best is force you to look all around while playing, and I'm talking all around--360 degrees. There will be times when you need to crouch over to look inside caves, gaze up at perilous walkways as your hero tightrope-walks across dangerous chasms, watch your robot friend zip through an awesome roller coaster track from afar, and then other times when you'll hear the cries of a sad lost bot stuck somewhere behind you and thus need to turn around completely to find it. Like the brilliant Moss before it, Rescue Mission plops players down into believable fantasy worlds, fills its landscapes with whimsical characters and devilish traps, and most importantly of all, shows you the true potential of virtual reality via bespoke experiences.

And much more here.

Astro Bot is one of the best platformers I've ever played. I remember when it got announced and I thought "Hey, it looks nice" and that's it. After the first reviews and after playing it for a few hours....it blew my mind.

It's awesome to see that Sony used Astro Bot (including Moss) for their PSVR $199.99 Black Friday bundle. More people have to play it. It's amazing! :)

Last edited:

HussiZooT

Beware the Monkey's Paw
Nov 16, 2017
Tempted to pick it up. I rarely play VR though. It's actually collecting dust.

Oct 30, 2017
Almost over the edge to buy a PSVR for 188 euros / 215 dollars… Moss, Astro Bot and RE7 can be added to the list.
Still busy completing Witcher 3 + DLC. Have to start with RDR2 and a dozen ps+ games.

Where on earth do i get the time for this? Ps5 can wait til 2022…

Oct 27, 2017
The title of the article make it sounds like he juste discovered a surprise game no one is talking about, it's a little late for that, hehe.

But yeah, there will never be enough praise and press talk about Astro Bot anyway, so thanks for sharing.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
With Astro Bot, Sony Japan showed that they also can make great platformer games.

And not only trash like Knack ;)

Tirisfal

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
London
Astro Bot alone is worth it, GOTY contender.

Moss is beautiful and feels like you're in an actual fairy tale.

Resident evil 7 will make you shit yourself because it feels like you're actually in that house, walking down those narrow corridors, peeking behind a door to see if it's safe.

Those 3 games I've personally played and you cant go wrong with any of them.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I grabbed it and gave it a try yesterday after my PSVR arrived and was pleasantly surprised, really fun platformer with some fantastic uses of VR.

Is there a deal on Astrobot for the holidays independently?
It's on sale on the EU PSN for £20. Not that much cheaper than retail though. Dunno about US.

OP
OP

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tempted to pick it up. I rarely play VR though. It's actually collecting dust.
Then try Astro Bot. It will open your eyes. YES, it's that damn good ;)
Almost over the edge to buy a PSVR for 188 euros / 215 dollars… Moss, Astro Bot and RE7 can be added to the list.
Fantastic price. Do it. Astro Bot and Resident Evil 7 in VR -> Mindblowing experience imho.
ALRIGHT ALREADY YOU LOUD FUCKERS I'LL BUY IT SHEESH
Well, FINALLY! Took you long enough :P

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Ok I want a PS5 with PSVR V2 and full backward compatibility.

That should be technically doable, right ?

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
its one of those rare games that immediately blows your mind and makes you fall in love, and then every new level blows your mind even further and you love it more and more.

definitely one of the most fun and enjoyable games this gen.

i have the last level and final boss to beat, and i just dont want to because then the adventure is over :(

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Hiding? It didn't SEEM secret, but then I've had to tell two people who bought a new PSVR recently to buy this game. For some reason neither of them considered this their first pick. Wtf!

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I don't think they're hiding it at all. It's been well promoted, has a Game Awards nomination that it may very well win and is regarded as the best PSVR game to date.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Definitely my GOTY if not GOTG for me.

But it's not like this came out of nowhere if you even followed VR news a tiny bit...

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Don't look at me, I bought PSVR a few days ago and a major reason why I did so was to get all up in that Bot. #NotPartOfTheProblem

(Haven't actually opened the box yet though. Trying to clear a couple of unfinished games out of the way before I properly delve in to VR.)

Definitely my GOTY if not GOTG for me.

But it's not like this came out of nowhere if you even followed VR news a tiny bit...

Sony rather unceremoniously announced AB a couple of weeks before E3. If they had any sense they would've unveiled it at their main presser, but I guess they severely underestimated how good it was going to be.

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
Fine, I'm downloading it now. Thought I'll complete Red Dead first, but damn I keep hearing about it all the time.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Don't look at me, I bought PSVR a few days ago and a major reason why I did so was to get all up in that Bot. #NotPartOfTheProblem

(Haven't actually opened the box yet though. Trying to clear a couple of unfinished games out of the way before I properly delve in to VR.)

Sony rather unceremoniously announced AB a couple of weeks before E3. If they had any sense they would've unveiled it at their main presser, but I guess they severely underestimated how good it was going to be.

People would have dismissed it either way.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
The buzz around Astro Bot is what pushed me over the edge. I haven't played it yet because I'm saving it for a day by myself, but the demo in Playroom was already an incredible proof of concept.

Wipeout HD is another quiet masterpiece. It's a dream come true for me, and far more beautiful than I expected a PS4 VR game to be able to be.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
The buzz around Astro Bot is what pushed me over the edge. I haven't played it yet because I'm saving it for a day by myself, but the demo in Playroom was already an incredible proof of concept.

Wipeout HD is another quiet masterpiece. It's a dream come true for me, and far more beautiful that I expected a PS4 VR game to be able to be.
Yes, Wipeout is absolutely insane. It's so fucking good in VR. It's above and beyond what I expected.

Oct 27, 2017

I really feel like you'd have to be trying pretty hard to not have gotten "the memo" on Astrobot. It's not like the quality of the game has been overlooked—it was praised from day one (and even hyped as VR's Mario 64 moment before release). I realize that it is on system with a tiny userbase, but you'd think someone as entrenched in the video game industry as this dude seems to be would be more in touch.

Anyway, glad to see the game getting a second round of hype, it definitely deserves it.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
I don't think they're hiding it at all. It's been well promoted, has a Game Awards nomination that it may very well win and is regarded as the best PSVR game to date.
They turned up the marketing once it was launched and receiving GOTY praise.
I guess I can't blame them with the economics of VR development currently but they should have been able to identify the quality sooner.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Got my PSVR yesterday and played the first world yesterday. It's really fun and makes good use of the VR features. I'm certain this will land high on my GOTY list.

Wouldn't call it on par with Mario so far though because the movement options are too limited for what I want out of a 3D platformer.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
How well this runs on a base PS4? I'm really tempted to buy a PSVR to play this game, but i don't want to buy a Pro as well.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Dunno where he's been, plenty people have been praising it. IGN reviewed it and they never really get into VR stuff.

But yea, it is quite fantastic.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
I mean...
5srSmNf.jpg

Because of this game I really want to buy a psvr asap. Once paycheck arrives.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
All according to plan.

Looks like skipping the first generation of VR machines was the right choice. I am so looking forward to PSVR2 content now that developers had ample time to fiddle with the concept. Probably year 2 even on that to be on the fun side.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
How well this runs on a base PS4? I'm really tempted to buy a PSVR to play this game, but i don't want to buy a Pro as well.
Runs perfectly fine on the base PS4 IMO. You may notice some jaggies, but as someone who is usually a stickler for that, I don't really care too much about it once I'm playing. :P

It's not like say Skyrim VR which looks rather bad on my base PS4. Though truth be told, I've heard it doesn't look much better on the pro either, lol

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even that into platformers, but with the amount of praise, I'm starting to think

af6.jpg

I should buy Astrobot.