• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to be really interested in the second round of games for this platform.

I wonder what publishers think of the sales numbers.

I was watching that nba stream that was posted here, and my God. Ghost town is the perfect name for it. NBA probably sold what? Double digits? Triple at best?

CJohn

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder if Stadia will ever come out in countries like the one where I live, Portugal.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This makes a lot of sense. If your entire group doesn't move over, what's the point in playing there most of the time unless you just use it to run bounties or strikes solo? The erratic input lag makes PVP an absolute no-go for me as well, because it can mean the difference between winning and losing in certain modes and playlists.
I basically use it when my PS4 or PC is actually downloading the bigger updates/patches if I've not used something like the PS4 Remote Play app to do it ahead of time. It's a neat novelty for now and my use case for Stadia with respect to Destiny 2 is extremely situational, as I've described.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
I wish someone would go back and highlight all the condescending posts folks made about how Stadia would kill it, how the technological hurdles somehow didn't matter and how streaming games is the future. The reality is that the infrastructure to support a streaming audience just does not exist in the vast majority of the markets served by gaming. End of story.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who occasionally uses Stadia, and doesn't think it's shit, Destiny 2 is probably one of the worst games you can play on it. It's a visual mess, and additional latency does the competitive no favors, which hurts Destiny 2 a lot since most frequent flyers are going to allow the Pve to sink into their PvP, and vise versa.

In short? Stadia is quite literally the worst place to play Destiny 2 right now. There are no advantages. There are, on the other hand, plenty of Stadia games that are fine and worth playing on the platform.
Are you playing on a Chromecast? I have not played on my ps4 pro version as it is just so much better for me.

But I'm a solo player that plays at erratic times. I might have to wait 2 minutes queuing for gambit, but I've saved 20 minutes in load times everywhere else.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
I wish someone would go back and highlight all the condescending posts folks made about how Stadia would kill it, how the technological hurdles somehow didn't matter and how streaming games is the future. The reality is that the infrastructure to support a streaming audience just does not exist in the vast majority of the markets served by gaming. End of story.
Yep. On top of that you should add a mediocre launch line up and a clear mismatch between business model and target audience.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
When I think of this place it is certainly how Stadia players shit on everyone else and derailed threads...oh wait

James

Oct 25, 2017
US
Stadia's D2 population has been continuously growing, contrary to what these stats might indicate. They are still very low, but there are far more players around now.

The obvious conclusion to draw is that at launch everyone was just logging in to Destiny and looking around. Most of those players didn't really do anything and logged off before long. There aren't as many new players on Stadia now, and those who do join have more games to choose from. Most of the people playing Destiny now actually want to play D2 on Stadia.

It's comical how much some people read into this. "Google should start thinking about shutting down" this service they haven't finished launching yet. ::huge eye roll:: The undisguised glee greeting every bit of bad Stadia news reflects very poorly on the gaming community.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
At least now Stadia players can get those dumb kill x50 weapon bounties without having to fight other guardians for kills.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, ever since the reveal, the overwhelming consensus here has massively been that everything about their launch was bad, from pricing to messaging.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Expected. I haven't logged on in a month lol. Just not my type of game. I don't think I'll re-upp in Feb when my Pro sub ends.
Also lots of buddy passes being activated recently should give this a bump in Jan.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. On top of that you should add a mediocre launch line up and a clear mismatch between business model and target audience.

I mean yea they've made a lot of unforced errors but the technology itself proved to be not on par with their lofty claims and (surprise) not scalable which is what a lot of folks (myself included) were trying to point out in the months following the Stadia announcement

When I think of this place it is certainly how Stadia players shit on everyone else and derailed threads...oh wait

it was absolutely insufferable in every single stadia thread leading up to launch. The fact that nobody is being utterly obnoxious and sniping people down for posting criticisms of it after it's essentially self destructed does not change the fact that it wasn't prevalent before launch.

To be fair, ever since the reveal, the overwhelming consensus here has massively been that everything about their launch was bad, from pricing to messaging.
True but I'm talking about the lead up to launch when every thread anyone that dated point out all the reasons a streaming platform would likely not work were repeatedly "LOL" d at and told "it's the future get used to it"

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I play almost daily and do not have issues vs you reading a Forbes article based on a discord bot about info we had here a while ago?
Most people who gleefully circle jerk the demise of Stadia have literally no actual experience with it.
Matchmaking working to put you together with people != actual population numbers increasing or decreasing now does it?

Numbers = population increasing or decreasing

You finding people to match with = Matchmaking working properly.

See the difference? Can you absorb it? Internalize it? If someone is going to claim that the population is strong and/or increasing, show me the receipts. I can check Charlemagne if I need to, but I didn't make the claim so it's not my responsibility to back up claims with facts.

Stop projecting and be less sensitive. Nobody has the time or interest to nurse your issues or insecurities.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
[
Stop projecting and be less sensitive. Nobody has the time or interest to nurse your issues or insecurities.
I own 2 PS4's and a Nintendo Switch and I view them all with the same emotion as I do my toaster. They are fucking toys.

I just hate something bring railroaded through bullshit.

If Stadia fails, life goes on. I hope it doesn't as the tech is great.. Which I can state based on my actual experience with the product.

Get it?

Oct 25, 2017
Are you playing on a Chromecast? I have not played on my ps4 pro version as it is just so much better for me.

But I'm a solo player that plays at erratic times. I might have to wait 2 minutes queuing for gambit, but I've saved 20 minutes in load times everywhere else.

I've tried it on both the Chromecast and just Chrome on PC. The former is a better experience overall because, with Destiny 2, you *really* need the aim assist that controller gives you to stand much of a chance in any kind of competitive scenario if you're experience middle-of-the-road latency.

Also, I neglected to point out: players do indeed to get 60 fps on Destiny 2 on Stadia, which is not available with console versions (even the X1X, to my knowledge). That being said, it still feels kind of irrelevent to me because the entire point of 60 FPS is to -- you guessed it -- reduce latency! Frame latency, yes, which translates into a smoother experience, but also input latency as well. The problem? Well, just streaming the game alone is going to re-introduce input latency into the equation; so while visually things appear smoother, the game does not necessarily feel more responsive. For the people who desperately want 60 FPS and want to play a competitive shooter, this is going to feel more like a net 0 gain.

That all being said, if you're playing the cooperative gametypes, I think a lot of these points are less important, and even if you're playing PvP then it's acceptable I suppose since, walled garden and all, you're not being lumped in with people who aren't "sharing" the latency of Stadia. It's even, yes, but I didn't find it particularly fun to lose to what felt like, more often than not, input latency.

I just don't think the average Destiny 2 player is going to want to even think about Stadia. For those reasons, yes, but also because Destiny 2 *needs* a thriving community to persist, and it can't do that on Stadia right now. In fact, I'd argue it has no hope of doing that ever. Destiny 2 has built its playerbase around the ecosystem of PS/XBox, with PC a distant second last I checked. Stadia needs its own, exclusive shared multiplayer game to built mindshare and also to be built around its inherent limitations rather than being a Port of a Port.

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I continue to believe streaming will only ever be viable as an option, not as the primary way to engage. Stadia's huge mistake was going all-in on something no one was really demanding at the scale they sold it.

There is no great untapped AAA audience out there, very few who would get into big-time gaming if not for the (relatively meager) cost of entry.

Jun 14, 2018
And to think that Sony and Microsoft were worried about Google Stadia. I've no idea why; if you're the owner of Halo and Gears of War or The Last of Us and God of War, you shouldn't be afraid of an emerging platform that doesn't understand that exclusives matter.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017

This is not a "technological hurdles" problem at all. Just take a few minutes to read the Stadia OT thread and you will see most users there are reporting a good experience with the service and you will see over and over how many say they are surprised it works so well. The main problems with Stadia are related to their business model, small library of games, the current price for the premier bundle and a bunch of features that are still missing. All of these are things that Stadia will have to address and fast, but it has already been proven that the service can work.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
What will really help Stadia take off is all the exclusives they have lined up.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
For the less sensitive out there, Stadia's population as of yesterday.

FSfYreE.png

As far as I can tell, this looks like roughly the same population numbers as it had in mid-November. I can't say that it's rising or falling with just those 2 points of reference, but it may have had higher numbers in December (which would mean some decline if it fell back to near-launch totals). But that's just conjecture unless someone else has that info. Sorry; I don't know how to make Charlemagne show historical data. I think it can, but I can't figure out how to do so.

For reference, the populations on PC, PS4 and Xbox respectively as of yesterday.

BHQllRr.png
QMJ1Yxa.png
NxRoZ1S.png

Regardless, it's cool that some of you are saying you don't feel the small community size on Stadia. I'd expect matchmaking to take a long time for some of these activities with numbers like this, so kudos to Bungie if you're not having trouble doing group stuff like Altar or PvP.

I can't imagine trying to find a raid party with only 426 people on the planet looking to do a raid on any given day.

The40Watt

Oct 29, 2017
Destiny 2 on Stadia is awesome. I haven't played the PS4 Pro version since the launch of Stadia. I just wish the population was higher. Finding a match in Crucible is hit and miss.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
There are more games available on the service now. Not everyone wants to play destiny.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Google tried to treat Stadia like one of their apps. Launch it half assed, then support it if the core idea takes off, or kill it if it fails.

You can't do that with a gaming platform and expect it to grow. People need a reason to be early adopters and to get their friends on board.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
There are more games available on the service now. Not everyone wants to play destiny.
Sure, but that would be in line with a steady decline not a 50% drop.

PC, PS4 and Xbox gamers have other games to play too and their numbers have held steady relative to the claimed numbers in late November quoted in the article (compare with my Warmind.io numbers in the images I linked on this page).

But again, I personally don't ever remember a time when Stadia's Destiny 2 population was 16K ever. Am I misremembering? The article says Stadia peaked at 19K but doesn't provide an exact source for that claim. If anyone has data that shows Stadia was ever in excess of 19K daily population, please link it.

HiredN00bs

Oct 25, 2017
Laurel, MD
Stadia has become my Destiny platform of choice. It has this feeling of a budding community, and playing from my phone at 60fps with a full size controller is a trip.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
I still use Stadia for Destiny 2 when Im just chilling solo. It loads faster, and runs better than my PS4Pro. Its great.

I would have played more of the games so far, but Ive beaten both of those Tomb Raiders, played Thumper, and my regular fighting game buddy doesnt have Stadia, so I cant play SamSho with him. More farming will happen soon though, haha.

HiredN00bs

Oct 25, 2017
Laurel, MD
Destiny 2 on Stadia is awesome. I haven't played the PS4 Pro version since the launch of Stadia. I just wish the population was higher. Finding a match in Crucible is hit and miss.
I can pretty much always find a match in Control, but I only play that, Iron Banner, and Survival. PvP on Stadia is wonderful. I still see some questionable things happen in terms of latency, but at a tremendously smaller frequency compared with playing peer-to-peer out there in the wild on the other platforms. Once I found an ideal setup for lowering input latency (it's comparable to console), I really came to prefer playing PvP on Stadia.

LukasHeinzel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Destiny 2 is a good example of why Stadia's launch was so deeply misguided. They launched bwith the "Pro" tier of their service first, with the biggest selling point being 4K/60 - a target that their highest profile game can't even hit. As a result - there is absolutely zero reason to play Destiny 2 there.

I am gonna call Bullshit on the absolute zero reason thing there, I have plenty reasons to play Destiny 2 On Stadia. It also looks sharper and crisper on my 4k Projector.