• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I'm really interested in the idea that there's no FOMO here. So you're telling me I can never miss out on anything?

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Except the point of battle passes isn't to give you fixed content for money, or better even, for free.

The entire thing is banking on you to be too lazy to get it done in time, so you'll have to spend money to catch up on the last few days. Literally the entire premise of why it's not being sold a la carte.
Water is wet. This thread is literally showing that it can be done differently.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Welp, seeing as I'm probably gonna be unemployed soon, looks like I'll have plenty of time to complete each character's battle pass lol
I'm really interested in the idea that there's no FOMO here. So you're telling me I can never miss out on anything?
Only regarding battle passes. There will be events that will have unique cosmetics/nameplates/gear that will be available only during those events.

Last edited:

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
FOMO is one of the key reasons I haven't preordered Beyond Light. I know Bungie promised to reduce FOMO, but Bungie isn't trustworthy at all.

CD's way of handling this is just good, it feels rather like a normal single player DLC, you can play whenever you want, fast or slow.

I wish Destiny was more like that, but I can't see Bungie changing. Hell, one of the key things for Destiny this year is the FOMO of paid destinations, missions and gear leaving. Shameful.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
it would be better if they had one battle pass and not one for each character? That seems scummy.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
There's still FOMO in that I assume the ability to buy the BPs expires. So you can complete it once you buy it on your own time, but you're still having to drop a lot of money at once if you want multiple characters' BPs at once.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
There's still FOMO in that I assume the ability to buy the BPs expires. So you can complete it once you buy it on your own time, but you're still having to drop a lot of money at once if you want multiple characters' BPs at once.
That was my assumption here. No pressure to finish it...but plenty of pressure to buy it in the first place.

I don't get the impression there's an expiration date? You get the character's BP when you get the character, and you get all the characters for free, and it should backfill whenever you decide to buy it because that's how every BP in video games works.

Deleted member 70824

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2020
Their battle pass idea doesn't sound that bad

Everything sounds good except the progression being tied to these weeklies/dailies. Just let me progress the pass naturally by playing the game the way I want to play. These passes are something that should reward you over time for constantly playing, I don't want to do these silly challenges and then be done for the day until they reset. Let me binge and reward me for doing so!

Yeah it's a personal peeve of mine as well, in any game. I don't like the way it encourages you to play in a certain way. That can be annoying in games with team based play, using objectives that reward individualistic behavior. But it's just what developers do.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest issue with D2's battle passes are more issues with their idiotic seasonal model where everything about the season disappears at the end and you miss out if you weren't there. Bungie finally acknowledged it was a mistake and wont be happening in Y4 so hopefully along with the bounty rework, it should alleviate the FOMO pressure of the battle passes. If they continue with that model that is, the $10 buy in each season was for more than just the battle pass.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I think right now, the only thing predatory for Avengers is if you want to finish the battle pass quickly and don't have the patience to wait until the daily and weekly challenges to come. Someone else counted it earlier, if you play all the daily and weekly challenge for 1 character, you'll finish that character battlepass in around 3-4 weeks.

Or, if you don't have the patience, you can unlock all the reward with credits immediately. I imagine there will be a lot of people who for example really want that tier 40 premium costume reward day 1 and just pay real money to shortcut the battlepass progression instead of playing it for a month to get it.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Avengers isn't free to play is it? So they want 60 bucks up front AND battle pass money? Or is it just free to play with a battle pass?