• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Well, what is it?

• Soulsbornering

Votes: 183 22.2%
  • Elden Soulsborne

Votes: 79 9.6%
  • Sekidenborne Souls

Votes: 121 14.7%
  • Blooden Souls

Votes: 24 2.9%
  • Elkiro Soulsborne

Votes: 97 11.8%
  • Bloodsouls Ring

Votes: 21 2.6%
  • Other

Votes: 298 36.2%

• Total voters

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Soulsbornekiroring of course!!
...not

Elkiroborne and Souls Co. is my trademark

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Souls game or Souls-like. Soulsborne was always a silly name.

100% with you here.

I wouldn't go this far, though. I see the value of a name like Metroidvania or Souldborne in demonstrating both things that the games have in common as well as showcasing some additional room for variation. Ideally you'd want two different developers included because right now you could infer that it's not a Soulsborne if it's not by From. Some might even agree, but if that's the consensus then it's just a loosely connected series rather than a genre.

Still, it's notable that nobody else has really pulled it together enough to earn their way into the genre name. At this point they probably won't even if we do see some more credible offerings than the likes of Nioh (which I'd argue belongs to the same genre, but it isn't noteworthy enough to play a role in defining the genre.)
The difference between "Soulsborne" and "Metroidvania" is that Metroidvania is a fusion of two very different games that had certain similar gameplay elements that both became popular around roughly the same time (though Metroid obviously outdates Symphony of the Night) and kickstarted a new type of game based on both of them. So the subgenre was named that to honor both of the games that can be considered the progenitors of that type of gameplay.

Bloodborne is literally a Souls game. The only difference between Bloodborne and the Souls games is that it doesn't have the word "Souls" in the title. The name Soulsborne would only make sense if FROM had made Demon's Souls and Bloodborne at roughly the same time and both games kicked off the genre, but that's not the truth. Bloodborne was specifically created as a Souls spin-off.

So Soulsborne makes as much sense as calling the subgenre Soulsbornekiro now because Sekiro also shared some gameplay elements with Souls games.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
A From Software Game? honestly it's getting too complex that I rather stick with soulsborne and I would assume they person I'm talking to gets the idea!

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne was never unique enough to warrant adding ''borne'' anyway. They're all Souls-likes, whether it's Sekiro, Bloodborne, Nioh, Lords of the Fallen, The Surge. Anyone would understand the concept of the game if you described those games with Souls-like combat and gameplay.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
soulborkiring
ringbornekisouls

FromBorne I think is a good contender, because it acts as a bit of a double entendre

Though I think that "Souls" games will continue to be the most practical option

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'll actually play the game first. Like how I played Sekiro first. And by the time I finished I came to the conclusion it wasn't a soulsborne game. It's an action game.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
At this point, that style of game will forever be known as 'Soulsborne' in my mind (or just Souls for short). If Elden Ring is that style of game (I haven't followed any of the coverage for it), then I'll probably just call it a 'Soulsborne' game and leave it at that.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I honestly think "Borne" should be removed from the name and just call it a Soulslike. Yeah, bloodborne is good; but it's just one game by the same developer made and names that way because of exclusivity issues. Souls or Souls-like is all these types of games ever need to be called.

We don't need tack on another game to the metroidvania genre just because a new good one of those released; if that was the case it would be called Holloxiomtroidvania.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Soulsborne

Metroidvania never changed as an established term, so why should it this time around?
Soulsborne is not an established term and Metroidvania at least describes the combination of two very different types of games, while Soulsborne is just… Soulssouls. It's a bad umbrella-term that seems to warp with every new FROM game. Is Sekiro Souls-like? No. Does it get grouped with Soulsbornes? Yes. Just call it FROM-like, when the term just means "similar to FROMSofts recent output", lol.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to call them anything like that.

I usually just say "it's like Dark Souls".

It's not even a genre!

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
I'll probably just refer to it as a soulsborne if I had to describe the game to someone else, or a "fromsoft rpg"​

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
Darkbornekeriosouls1darkseksouls2bloodeldindarkringsouls3

(It's still Soulsborne like we don't change Metroidvania everytime a new game comes out).

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Personally I never found the need to add the borne to Souls so I'll just keep saying Souls tbh. I do wish there was a better term, but people seem to be very particular about lumping other games into the genre for whatever reason. I can't imagine 20 years from now talking about the genre when I look at discourse around Metroidvanias.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
What makes you excited for it if not From's involvement? They haven't showed anything.

And I'm not sure they've described it as "another dark fantasy RPG".

They've said multiple times that people who like their previous dark fantasy games will be pleased with what they do next.

This was known a long time ago. They talked about three games they had in the works and what they were like. I think one ended up as Derecine. One was described as specifically something that fans of FROM's dark fantasy games would feel very much at home. They've talked about it in those terms a lot. Made it pretty clear it's that type of game.

But my main point is that FROM make a lot of different kinds of games that are nothing like Souls games.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
None of us would be anywhere near as excited for Elden Ring if it wasn't by Fromsoftware. Heck, that's one of the few things we actually do know about it, haha!

Well...yes.

But we're excited for this game because it's by FROM. But it being by FROM isn't necessarily what would excite us. Hearing about a dark fantasy game coming from FROM makes me excited. But hearing about some random other game that isn't that genre probably wouldn't excite me. FROM make many different kinds of games that are nothing like souls games.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I don't use Soulsborne much I'll usually say Souls-like to describe a similar game. Or I'll just say "it's like a Souls game".

Abuguet

Apr 23, 2019
Souls-like or Masocore. You don't keep adding syllables to your Metroidvanias, do you? 😉

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
Soulsborne or Souls-like is good enough. No reason to change it just because From Software is making more games.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Metroidvania has been the term for decades and a new game in both of those series hasn't been released in a LONG time. Why would this change for Soulsborne/Souls-like games?