What will Nintendo's big pre-financial briefing announcement be (if any)?

• Switch 2 reveal

Votes: 139 53.1%
  • An update on one of their movie projects (Next Mario movie or Zelda movie)

Votes: 45 17.2%
  • A new movie or TV show announcement

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • Something related to Super Nintendo World

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • A new device that's not the Switch 2 (Ex: The clock that was filed with the FCC)

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • A Nintendo Direct announcing games for the rest of the fiscal year & beyond

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Nothing

Votes: 45 17.2%

• Total voters

Great Martinez Jr.

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 2, 2021
Mexico
I think two years is too little time to establish "a pattern". If anything, they holding a Direct on September for the past seven or so years was more notable, as well as they skipping it this time.

Anyway, I think we all know what we actually want to see them announce, and I honestly would be very surprised if they don't unveil the Switch successor before their next financial briefing. And if they don't do it... Well, we're simply not seeing the console releasing until the second half of 2025.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Why would they deprive the Switch 2 of some of its most guaranteed system sellers by making them effectively cross-gen?
Why would they deprive their still extremely well selling platform of a guaranteed system seller if it makes more sense to have it cross-gen? You don't know their plans for the new platform, so it's silly to make assumptions about what they will or won't do.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
Both of these announcements were about movies so if anything I would expect that precedent to continue. Maybe Zelda casting news or a Mario movie 2 poster?

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Why would they deprive their still extremely well selling platform of a guaranteed system seller if it makes more sense to have it cross-gen? You don't know their plans for the new platform, so it's silly to make assumptions about what they will or won't do.
Because of what Furukawa said about prioritizing long-term growth over short-term sales, & making sure the Switch 2 is as big of a success as possible would be part of that (I.E. making sure it has big exclusives that'll move systems). The Switch 1 will certainly still get games, but more of the kind we've been getting for 2024 (plus Pokémon, since Game Freak usually lingers on older hardware for longer than most).

Both of these announcements were about movies so if anything I would expect that precedent to continue. Maybe Zelda casting news or a Mario movie 2 poster?
Zelda casting news would make sense, though they previously did that at the end of a general Direct for the Mario movie. If not that, maybe concept art for the next Mario movie.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Because of what Furukawa said about prioritizing long-term growth over short-term sales, & making sure the Switch 2 is as big of a success as possible would be part of that (I.E. making sure it has big exclusives that'll move systems). The Switch 1 will certainly still get games, but more of the kind we've been getting for 2024 (plus Pokémon, since Game Freak usually lingers on older hardware for longer than most).
Just like Iwata said the NX wouldn't be a hybrid device, right?

You don't know what Nintendo projects as lending more to long-term growth over short term sales. Could be that they see more big switch releases as helping their long term plans. Otherwise, why not hold back Mario Party (and this one specifically, because I already know the excuse that'll be given for PLZA).

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I think two years is too little time to establish "a pattern". If anything, they holding a Direct on September for the past seven or so years was more notable, as well as they skipping it this time.

Anyway, I think we all know what we actually want to see them announce, and I honestly would be very surprised if they don't unveil the Switch successor before their next financial briefing. And if they don't do it... Well, we're simply not seeing the console releasing until the second half of 2025.
It's less that they held off on a September Direct & more that they did it a month early (hence the August Partner Showcase, which served the same purpose of a bunch of reveals from Japanese partners ahead of TGS).

You don't know what Nintendo projects as lending more to long-term growth over short term sales. Could be that they see more big switch releases as helping their long term plans. Otherwise, why not hold back Mario Party (and this one specifically, because I already know the excuse that'll be given for PLZA).
Because Mario Party is released on a quick enough cadence to where it's not a huge problem. And if 3D Mario/Mario Kart/Animal Crossing are used up on Switch 1, there wouldn't be many big exclusives left for the Switch 2's first year.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017

They didn't hold back Mario Party because there's always a bunch of Mario Party games per console, and because it's not the type of game many people buy a console for.

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
If we get to November I just don't see anything for Switch 2 past maybe a clear statement of a 2025 reveal being announced. But in reality they probably will just recommit to "this fiscal year" which will somehow have some people still thinking a game awards announcement is on the table.

I think most likely there could be some type of update on the Zelda and/or the second Mario movie? Maybe a confirmation of the rumored Zelda theme park expansion in Orlando? The new device (if it is something legit) will be revealed this month so it can presumably be out for the holiday season. So I guess they could just point that if it happens.

But at this point I am fully expecting Nintendo to be on the OG Switch train for the remainder of the year. It really makes no sense to announce Switch 2 at this point when in all likelyhood it's not coming out in March and they currently have a thriving platform that can carry them through another holiday. The only people that benefit from an announcement this month are the fans. Publishers and Developers got games to sell this holiday 2024 and so does Nintendo. This isn't 2016 and the circumstances are just completely different.

Before anyone brings up 3DS/WiiU, please compare the current software sales of Switch versus those two combined LTD.

Switch: 1,266.46 Million Units
3DS: 392.02 Million Units
WiiU: 103.60 Million Units

Again the scenario is not the same.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If we get to November I just don't see anything for Switch 2 past maybe a clear statement of a 2025 reveal being announced. But in reality they probably will just recommit to "this fiscal year" which will somehow have some people still thinking a game awards announcement is on the table.

I think most likely there could be some type of update on the Zelda and/or the second Mario movie? Maybe a confirmation of the rumored Zelda theme park expansion in Orlando? The new device (if it is something legit) will be revealed this month so it can presumably be out for the holiday season. So I guess they could just point that if it happens.

But at this point I am fully expecting Nintendo to be on the OG Switch train for the remainder of the year. It really makes no sense to announce Switch 2 at this point when in all likelyhood it's not coming out in March and they currently have a thriving platform that can carry them through another holiday. The only people that benefit from an announcement this month are the fans. Publishers and Developers got games to sell this holiday 2024 and so does Nintendo. This isn't 2016 and the circumstances are just completely different.

Before anyone brings up 3DS/WiiU, please compare the current software sales of Switch versus those two combined LTD.

Switch: 1,266.46 Million Units
3DS: 392.02 Million Units
WiiU: 103.60 Million Units

Again the scenario is not the same.
The Wii U was hella dead by that point, yes. But the 3DS was legit still kicking when the Switch 1 was revealed. And as Furukawa said in his recent Q&A, he's willing to sacrifice holiday sales in service of a more successful Switch 2. Plus it's not like the Switch 1 has any guaranteed heavy-hitters this year outside of Jamboree (EoW sales still pending). That said, if we don't get anything this month, I doubt we'll see the system revealed until next year. And if that's the case, the system won't launch until June at best or probably H2 2025.

As for movie news, maybe. Though you raise a potentially-good point in announcing intentions to do a Zelda expansion for SNW.

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
The Wii U was hella dead by that point, yes. But the 3DS was legit still kicking when the Switch 1 was revealed. And as Furukawa said in his recent Q&A, he's willing to sacrifice holiday sales in service of a more successful Switch 2. Plus it's not like the Switch 1 has any guaranteed heavy-hitters this year outside of Jamboree (EoW sales still pending). That said, if we don't get anything this month, I doubt we'll see the system revealed until next year. And if that's the case, the system won't launch until June at best or probably H2 2025.

As for movie news, maybe. Though you raise a potentially-good point in announcing intentions to do a Zelda expansion for SNW.

Just looking at the numbers in my previous post, it would be safe to say that Switch is averaging per year more software sold than 3DS and WiiU combined. The platform is also in a much healthier state than both the 3DS and WiiU was in 2016. It would undoubtedly be a much bigger "sacrifice" for Nintendo to announce the Switch 2 this October compared to Switch 1 in 2016 of October, 3DS alive or not.

By chance do you mind providing where Furukawa specifically said they would sacrifice holiday sales for Switch 2?

I've seen that mentioned a few times but never seen an actual citation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
By chance do you mind providing where Furukawa specifically said they would sacrifice holiday sales for Switch 2?

I've seen that mentioned a few times but never seen an actual citation.
7Gu5Uw2.png

The quote of importance is the last one, which is corporate speak for them saying that they're focusing on long-term rise in corporate value by preparing for the future (I.E. the Switch 2) rather than obsessing over single-year profits (I.E. this year's Switch 1 sales, including the holiday season). It's not that the Switch 1's momentum isn't important to maintain, but rather that it should be kept up in a way where they can cleanly pass the baton to the Switch 2. So yeah, they aren't adverse to revealing the Switch 2 this year (unless the system isn't dropping until H2 2025).

Feb 24, 2018
Daisy confirmed as a lesbian or wlw please!!!
Followed by The Pokemon Company finally confirming what everyone has known about Skyla and Elesa for decades.
The Capcom belly flopping into to finally confirm Cammy is a lesbian and it being hinted and long wanted by so many fans since the 90s
FjtRfBfX0AAhfW5
FjtRfd8WIAAIpbX

None of that is a joke post, that would make one of the happiest days of my life if any of the above was confirmed. Please?
🥺

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
7Gu5Uw2.png

The quote of importance is the last one, which is corporate speak for them saying that they're focusing on long-term rise in corporate value by preparing for the future (I.E. the Switch 2) rather than obsessing over single-year profits (I.E. this year's Switch 1 sales, including the holiday season). It's not that the Switch 1's momentum isn't important to maintain, but rather that it should be kept up in a way where they can cleanly pass the baton to the Switch 2. So yeah, they aren't adverse to revealing the Switch 2 this year (unless the system isn't dropping until H2 2025).

Thank you for supplying the remarks.

Not to mean any disrespect, but I feel like you are reading into the above statements to support your own hopes for an announcement this year.

Single-year profits are in relation to the fiscal year (evidence by "this fiscal year is when we devote ourselves to preparations for the successor of the Nintendo Switch). The first statement also says it is extremely important to maintain momentum of this fiscal year for the current Switch. Which again is at odds with sacrificing sales this fiscal year with an announcement during the largest sales period.

That last statement could be taken many different ways. In relation to the audience it was stated for, that seems more like preparing them for profit drops this year in preparation for increased profits and revenue in the future (next fiscal year and beyond).

Lastly, the word holiday is never mentioned. The fiscal year ends in March. Any logic used to support sacrificing a portion of the fiscal year could also be in relation to the final quarter (Jan. - March).

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
If we haven't seen the Switch 2 in an official channel by then, I think Nintendo may throw a "we will tell you more at the beginning of next year" and that would be it.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
So both times it was movie news…. If this is a trend which I don't think two times is enough to call it a pattern then it would likely follow that it would be another movie update.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Its only October 8th, lets not already jump to the "It was November all along, knew it" safety net predictions yet lol.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Thank you for supplying the remarks.

Not to mean any disrespect, but I feel like you are reading into the above statements to support your own hopes for an announcement this year.

Single-year profits are in relation to the fiscal year (evidence by "this fiscal year is when we devote ourselves to preparations for the successor of the Nintendo Switch). The first statement also says it is extremely important to maintain momentum of this fiscal year for the current Switch. Which again is at odds with sacrificing sales this fiscal year with an announcement during the largest sales period.

That last statement could be taken many different ways. In relation to the audience it was stated for, that seems more like preparing them for profit drops this year in preparation for increased profits and revenue in the future (next fiscal year and beyond).

Lastly, the word holiday is never mentioned. The fiscal year ends in March. Any logic used to support sacrificing a portion of the fiscal year could also be in relation to the final quarter (Jan. - March).
Never said they'd fully sacrifice holiday sales, which goes into the other part of what I said...
It's not that the Switch 1's momentum isn't important to maintain, but rather that it should be kept up in a way where they can cleanly pass the baton to the Switch 2. So yeah, they aren't adverse to revealing the Switch 2 this year (unless the system isn't dropping until H2 2025).
Either way, when they reveal the system will be dictated by when manufacturing starts. If that's this year, the reveal will be this year. And an October reveal would give them time to pivot back to the Switch 1's last holiday going into November (hence why I don't see November or December as viable reveal months).

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's any point in speculating about some announcement that may or may not happen in a month and may or may not be significantly impacted by something else that may or may not be announced by then.

SpiritDusk

May 5, 2024
I don't think the argument that "oh this should all be contained to a single thread" is fair. That's not the case for Sony or Microsoft threads. Think how many threads have been made on the Pro, for example. People enjoy the speculation, which is why these threads get so many responses. The thread-whiners are the minority.

Also, when this was tried with making a Switch 2 speculation thread, no one used it lol.
It's pretty much dead.

Chippewa Barr