• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MorningDew

Oct 27, 2017
As far as I know, Nintendont does that, yes.
Nintendont and playing Wii U games off a hard drive. So incredibly useful when I was loading Smash 4!

I'll have to try out Nintendont. I was reading a guide on it and it says that you should use an 8GB card to install HomeBrew or smaller. Then once installed, you can use a larger card. Is this true?

If so, I can see the advantage of permanently putting the hack in place via the DS game so you don't have to deal with the swapping of SD/ SDHC cards.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Which games are you looking to try? I never heard of this so I looked it up. I see that there are a few games on this system. I'm familiar with Mario Kart Arcade GP but which of the other games would you say are worth playing?
The big three Triforce games are Mario Kart Arcade GP, Mario Kart Arcade GP 2 & F-Zero AX.

The Mario Kart games are interesting. I played a lot of GP 2 while abroad around 10 years ago. Also played a lot of GP DX in Japan(but that's a lot more modern and isn't a Triforce game). Of course, F-Zera AX is a class game.

Other games include Virtua Striker 2002 & Virtua Striker 4. Good arcade football/soccer games.

pikablu

Oct 28, 2017
What kind of stuff can you still do with the broken unit? Can you try running the browser hax and does it load honebrew launcher? Or does the memory issue prevent it? I think there is a tool called savemeii that will let you copy the saves.

Are you also looking to transfer the purchased games?]
Yes it will let me power it on. I haven't tried loading homebrew browser because I was afraid it might not let me do what I wanted to. I saw savemii and it looked promising.

I also wanted to transfer the purchased games.

Lilyth

Sep 13, 2019
I'll have to try out Nintendont. I was reading a guide on it and it says that you should use an 8GB card to install HomeBrew or smaller. Then once installed, you can use a larger card. Is this true?

If so, I can see the advantage of permanently putting the hack in place via the DS game so you don't have to deal with the swapping of SD/ SDHC cards.
This is untrue. The hack uses a FAT32 formated SD card which can be 1TB and higher if I recall correctly. It is accessed any time you use Mocha, with all homebrew and software on the card. I would recommend this, as Haxchi is unnecessary, risky, comes with a cost and possibly obsolete once the eShop closes for good.

Nintendont in particular can access the games from the SD directly (and I think it's not compatible with an external hard drive).

Use this and you'll be fine:

Wii U Hacks Guide

A guide to hacking the Nintendo Wii U.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I think when you login to your new console, you bring up eShop and then re-download your games to the new system. Have you tried that?
Pretty sure Nintendo still had NNID being locked to the console fuckery going on with 3DS/WiiU - so you have to contact their CS and hope that they would delete the link to your old system.

But its been a while...maybe im wrong and they fixed in the post Switch years.

MorningDew

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure Nintendo still had NNID being locked to the console fuckery going on with 3DS/WiiU - so you have to contact their CS and hope that they would delete the link to your old system.

Good point. I think you're correct. I think Tech Support is pretty good about this. Especially if you send a screen shot or something of the error that you're getting. I do agree that we should be entitled to play our games and not have to resolve to this.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Playing games from an external HDD is the reason I hacked mine. Worth it. Big improvement.

I should explain that I refused to buy digital games from Nintendo consoles at the time because of Nintendo's backwards policies with license transfers and lost/broken consoles. So I had nothing but physical games even though I'm SO LAZY about switching discs. They improved with the Switch so I'm exclusively digital now.
Yeah I haven't taken out my Wii u in a long time, but that was 100% the best part back in the day.same with the Wii, I was able to rip my games and just put them away and never have to think about it. Felt like the damn future at the time lol.

Mat-triX

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing that prevents me from hacking my WiiU is the lack of QOL improvements that interest me - like turning off the gamepad, or replacing the Wara Wara plaza with...anything else. I like both the gamepad and the plaza, but I don't want to use the Gamepad for every game (you can only turn off the screen) and the Wara Wara plaza has been dead for years.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I was actually wondering if I could have just the wii hacked and keep the Wii u legit, so I can play multiplayer without fear.

pikablu

Oct 28, 2017

You think they might do this today still? I could try giving them a call.

After that I guess I could then copy my saves from one to another using savemii.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
You think they might do this today still? I could try giving them a call.

After that I guess I could then copy my saves from one to another using savemii.
Depends on where you live but you can def. shoot your shot a their customer service with your account information.

Probably wanna do this as early as possible with Holidays coming up though.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
So, outside of the things that the Wii can do...

DS games, as well as DS games with hacks, like playing Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass with NORMAL controls.

Playing Wii-U games with hacks! It's fun to play BOTW without fuming at the durability system, and also, playing as Linkle.

Playing n64 games in a much better resolution is nice, I have Mario 64 on there, running at 60FPS, with a widescreen hack.

MorningDew

Oct 27, 2017
DS games, as well as DS games with hacks, like playing Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass with NORMAL controls.

I actually liked the stylus controls. Even played Super Mario 64 DS using stylus controls. Still, it's nice that the Wii U offers an option for normal controls.

I like the Picross series and have been playing on the Switch. Definitely prefer stylus controls since it's easier to count and to fill in lots of blocks.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
I actually liked the stylus controls. Even played Super Mario 64 DS using stylus controls. Still, it's nice that the Wii U offers an option for normal controls.

I like the Picross series and have been playing on the Switch. Definitely prefer stylus controls since it's easier to count and to fill in lots of blocks.

* The Hacked Wii-U offers this.

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
So you have to choose between mod support or higher FPS when choosing Wii U vs. Switch BOTW?

Well if you ask me, I dont think mods do much for BOTW. Also, you can play the game on PC if you have a good rig, the framerate is supposed to be good, and the mods also work there.

I personally played the game on WiiU first and Switch later and I am happy with my experience on the WiiU. I dont think the framerate is bad. But it depends of people, some people will disagree with me, I am not arguing.

The mods are a novelty, but nothing amazing. The framerate is decent. Up to you really.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone tried games like Killer Instinct 1 and 2 or heavier emulated games on WiiU? Ive been really tempted for long time to unlock my WiiU instead of buying a raspberry pi.

MorningDew

Oct 27, 2017
I thought I had bought a DS game but I'm not sure that I did. I don't see it installed. Is there a way to list my eShop purchases on the web to find out if I did? Currently I'm on 5.5.1 and I use the browser hax to boot HomeBrewLauncher. Then I run Mocha. It seems that the browser hax is successful every time for me (I've done it about 5-6 times) so perhaps it's not worth getting a DS game. I have no interest in playing DS games on the big screen.

Then when I'm done playing the WiiU, I put it to sleep so Mocha is still running. I only need to run the browser hax if the WiiU is rebooted or powered off. So I'm not sure that CBHC is worth the trouble. The browser hax is not that bad. I guess if I were on 5.5.3, it might take longer to be successful because of the performance "fixes" that were added.

I just realized that part of my confusion is that there is **NO** sleep mode on the WiiU. Anytime I push the power button it goes off or perhaps it might do standby. That means you have to execute the browser hack anytime you walk away from a game session.

The Switch suspend/resume is probably the best feature it has. Also, the WiiU is so sluggish in comparison to the Switch.

I do have the Home Brew Launcher installed as a channel but I don't know how I did that if I don't have Haxchi installed. Not sure what I did to the system back in 2016. I don't see any signs of a DS game installed. Only GB/GBA and Wii U titles.

BourbonJungle

Nov 1, 2017
I just got my Wii U back up and running, replaced the faulty external HD and redownloaded all my games.

Would love to install homebrew and load all my Wii and Wii U discs onto the HD, and was wondering if you can also make all the VC and WiiWare software currently available in Wii mode accessible via the top level Wii U menu? Also, do I lose the software on the SD card when using it for the hack?

I do have a Wario Ware DS game purchased from the Eshop, do I lose access to it if I use it for the exploit?

I've been playing a few light gun games regularly, and don't want to risk the chance of bricking the system if I'm not going to get much benefit.

Xeno-V

Oct 30, 2017
I am not sure whether there's a better thread to ask this, but I have been on Haxchi since 4-5 years ago at least and haven't touched my Wii U in a while.
I want to upgrade to Coldboot Haxchi so I need to know if I can just continue from where I am right now with some additional steps, or if I should first uninstall Haxchi and start over so that I end up with CBHC.

I am asking to make sure that I avoid bricking my console etc so if anyone can help it would be great.

Piggsy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do you still need to have two hard drives plugged in, one for Wii games and other for Wii U's?

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Sorry to necrobump--I successfully installed Homebrew on my Wii U, but it's not showing up in the Wii mode. Do I have to do a separate installation for that, or did I do something wrong?

Piggsy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sorry to necrobump--I successfully installed Homebrew on my Wii U, but it's not showing up in the Wii mode. Do I have to do a separate installation for that, or did I do something wrong?
Going from memory here, but I think you need to patch the Wii side just like you would on a regular Wii.

Tarv

Jan 26, 2019
I was on the fence and forgot about hacking my wii u. Does it have support for the 8bitdo snpro+ controller?

Dolobill

Oct 25, 2017
Do you still need to have two hard drives plugged in, one for Wii games and other for Wii U's?
No, everything can be installed to the system menu with one hard drive for storage.

I was on the fence and forgot about hacking my wii u. Does it have support for the 8bitdo snpro+ controller?

I don't think so. Possibly if you connect via USB and run an app every time you want to use it. However, you can use the SNES Classic controllers on Wii U and IMO they are better than the 8bitdo controllers anyway.