Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
To me personally, the design is a bit aggressiv, like it's demanding attention all the time, and that can get annoying pretty fast. I would prefer it, if the console was all black.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Always loved this concept - although I'm not sure how practical it would've been:

PlayStation-redesign-concept-2017-5-680x450.jpg

Probably not practical. These components are big and are gonna be pumping out a lot of heat and that looks far too small unless Sony was trying to make a console to compete with the Switch.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Mentioned this in another thread, but my biggest problem with the design is the USB placement (why in the middle of the console???) & Disc Drive location, which makes the console asymmetrical at the bottom.

Quick mockup of how I wished it looked (though due to the desire to have a digital SKU without substantial changes to the internal components, I doubt would be possible.):

uReKt5m.jpg
hey man can you censor that. this is a family forum.

Mat-triX

Oct 27, 2017
As almost every console design has shown, you will never have a disc drive in the middle of a console, it just isn't a practical place to put it as that's where most of the other important parts are going. Every modern console has the disc drive to one side and usually in the top half part, older consoles use to just stick them straight on top.
Doesn't the original PS4 design have the disc drive center-aligned in the middle of the console?

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Take off the taco shell, get rid of the circular stand, keep it black, move the USB ports to the side (why on earth are they in the middle of the console?) and make it less rounded and more angular, though I'm not too fussed about that.

Take off the controller jackets too. Straight up looks uncomfortable to use.

CorrisD

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't the original PS4 design have the disc drive center-aligned in the middle of the console?

Hence the "almost every console", it's one of the few, and the pro and slim relegated it to be higher in the console misaligning it from the middle.

Which is funny really, because cartridge consoles typically had the cartridge load into the middle of the console because they would directly connect to the boards.

Timlot

Banned
Nov 27, 2019
Have you seen it? Is that a stand or a piece of plastic to make the console yet more unstable?

comparasioniykr9.jpg

Man, the PS4 was a master class in design. I feel calm and relaxed when I look at the front of the PS4. I feel conflicted and stressed looking at the front of the PS5. Are they really using a stand for it to lay horizontally?

Musouka

Dec 31, 2017
I think the stand HAS to be included, as it appears to be required for both horizontal and vertical orientations. That said, I think the reason for the lack of flat surfaces has to do with cooling. It's either to discourage people from stacking other boxes on top of it or to at least ensure decent airflow if something IS stacked on top of it.

I don't why it cannot stand vertically on its own. The outer shell seems to be able to carry its weight.

You've got a point about the curved shape. The collar seems to serve the same purpose of enforcing a certain airflow.

Sony might rather people stand it vertically, so they might not include any stands. I find it hard to believe they won't include a horizontal one seeing how people will attempt to lay it on its side, stand or not. Minimizing costs and opening new revenue streams might take a precedent, though. And if they included a horizontal one, some will try to use it for the vertical position.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be cool with the digital version if it was flattened out. Im not just not a fan of the alienware curves.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that it needs a stand when placed horizontally speaks to the deficiencies of the design. I can appreciate bold aesthetics but they've gone into form over function here with the curvy fins. It would look (and probably function) better if it were toned down a bit.

I also don't like the heavy white/black contrast, but I know that's more of a personal thing.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Flat surfaces are more stable/easier to clean
White: i really hope its high quality white that does not change color over time

bust mostly: the added character is nice for decoration and ornaments... but a console is for playing. A simple black box fits in almost every design your room has, and even if not, its easy to decorate a flat surface. This? it sticks out more, and if your interior design does not fit its design language, but you still want to play ps5 games: bad luck, now you have a gadget that takes the attention when someone (or you) enters the room.

Yeah, there are people that take care of their interior design, its not just places to put boxes in and sleep/sit for some.

Edit:
Also, the white fins that stand over the console... the scream "break me of". I asume they will use sturdy plastic... but why even design them? they have no function and increase the footprint. But at least they gave us the Kaiba 5 meme.

RedPanda

Alt-Account
Banned
May 28, 2020
my main problem is that i honestly don't know where to place it. i have 2 cats so placing it standing somewhere with those lights will result in it getting pushed over by the two devils in my house and placing it horizontal is impossible seeing how big it is.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Does the presence of a stand mean it's going to have some ugly grooves or attachments on the right hand side? Man, the more I look at it, the worse it gets.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
It looks like the Alienware x51's flamboyant cousin.

dell_ax51r3_3011blk_alienware_x51_r3_gaming_1217985.jpg

I used to have one of these, and it looks quite discreet with the lights off. But my point is, it looks like a nearly 10 years old design.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I would rather have had the rumored twice the size ps4 pro as long as it was just a square box. MS won this design round.

Its clearly meant to be stood up and they say the backlash of the series x and were like hey it can be on its side to, that image of the disc version on its side looks like an accident waiting to happen. Plus its white and everything else I have is black like most people.

I literally have to move my tv up higher on the wall to fit it under or get a different table/stand.

Don't worry, nothing a few stability updates can't fix.
Lmao

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 looks pretty good but it's a bit simple. I'm all for a bit of flair. I love the white, blue, and black color scheme though.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
I don't need the white fins, I don't need the blue lights.
I didnt even think of the lights... i hat that everything has lights on it. you cant even make the room dark anymore without going around with tape and covering it....
i hope you can dissable it.

Today I realize I only like the PS4 design.
PS1 was good for its time. PS2 was hard to look at, but the slim variant is actually good. PS3 was never a looker from what i've gathered, and ps4 was on point.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
The design just doesn't look like it will age well. Routers don't occupy a central location in my entertainment Centre.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
The PS5 should look more like the PS4 Pro, 1X, or Series X. I want something blocky and compact, with flat surfaces.

A bonus advantage of geometric design is the device won't look dated in two years.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I'm more soso on the positive side, but there are absolutely ways to improve it. Keep the inner curve, clip the wings, and flatten out both sides

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I didnt even think of the lights... i hat that everything has lights on it. you cant even make the room dark anymore without going around with tape and covering it....
i hope you can dissable it.

PS1 was good for its time. PS2 was hard to look at, but the slim variant is actually good. PS3 was never a looker from what i've gathered, and ps4 was on point.

Fair enough @ PS1, N64 looked pretty ugly too.

PS2 had to go up against the sexy ass GameCube design.

PS3 lost to X360 in terms of looks

PS4 looks good, I never get why some people complain. It's a nice black box that goes with everything. I personally also like the light bar on top.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Not a big fan of the design, but the biggest flaw is that it's mostly white...no electronics should ever be white.

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
Ok with the design, but will prefer a full black option.

Not a fan of white consoles, seems like it may turn yellow over time.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Man, the PS4 was a master class in design. I feel calm and relaxed when I look at the front of the PS4. I feel conflicted and stressed looking at the front of the PS5. Are they really using a stand for it to lay horizontally?
It makes sense.
I sometimes play my PS4 at my desk where it's sitting on my table.
It gets so hot that the table is hot to the touch after about an hour.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
IMO the best designed Playstation's are the PS3 slim and the original PS4. They look great and they function well. That's what I wanted the PS5 to look like.

It looks like the PS5 digital edition was designed first, and out of the two it looks the best. It's still huge and focuses on aesthetic over function. But at least it isn't the normal PS5 with it's blu ray drive sticking out like a tumor. How the hell Sony gave the OK for that model is beyond me.

edit: Basically it doesn't look like something that Sony would design.

RedShift_

Jul 24, 2018
I just wanted a white rectangular box :(
Maybe gloss white, with white LEDs... Damn, I'm describing the PSX.

I like the XSX better, in that sense. Make a white version of that and you have what i would've wanted from PS5.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Most unique looking consoles are met with a similar reaction at the reveal. N64, Dreamcast, GameCube...eventually you get used to it and it becomes iconic. I think it will at least age better than the launch PS3.

I'm just happy they went for an actual design rather than a grey box, I thought the era of exotic console hardware was a thing of the past.
N64, DC and GC were each lauded from a design standpoint upfront. Well GC's color selection and handle got some flack from insecure morons but that's about it.

The response to PS5 reminds me a lot more of OG Xbox or PS3.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Thx. Needed to do a reverse google search, here for people that dont know the story:

It makes sense.
I sometimes play my PS4 at my desk where it's sitting on my table.
It gets so hot that the table is hot to the touch after about an hour.
Well, there are less wobly options than this one to leave room under the console for air flow.
But from the design, there is no airflow under the console. The desk getting hot is a "good" thing, since its all heat thats not staying in the console. if you put it flat on a aluminium plate you have a sort of heat sink.
Keeping the console from touching the surface is like isolating it, and keeping the heat to itself.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
The video was really slick.. Think it looks really nice

Also first thing I thought of (and luckily someone else, saving me cut'n'paste skills)