• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
dzm1l54vxb531.png

Hi all, I wanted to make a tips thread for FFXIV players new to the game, and those who may be giving it a shot with the expansion of the free trial and starter edition to include Heavensward on August 11th. For starters, absolutely please join us in the FFXIV OT thread and share your experiences and questions about the community, story and content. Below is a short list of tips to give you some direction and get the most enjoyment from the game as you progress. FFXIV is a huge and daunting game to parse and it can easily overwhelm you with all the content thrown your way. Hopefully this thread can help you manage it.

XIV-ERA CROSS WORLDS LINKSHELLS RECRUITMENT
**I've created a cross world linkshell for XIV era in case anyone who is on the Primal data center wants to join. These will be especially useful for trial players who aren't able to join an FC. PM me with your character's name and server, and I'll invite you. If you are on the Aether data center, PM Dark Knight . If you are on Crystal, PM Samaritan . If you are on Light, PM Rikalaus . If you are on Chaos, PM meadowdrone . Check the thread link above if you're unsure which data center your server is in. If you aren't on one of those five data centers and would like to start an Era CWLS of your own, let me know and I'll add your information to the recruitment. We also have a Discord server linking the CWLS together.

FREE TRIAL LINKS
PC
Steam
PS4

If you had a prior existing FFXIV account and are experiencing issues trying to register it, please consult the troubleshooting thread for help.

Generally, you will want to make sure that:
  • You do not have any version of FFXIV already installed before downloading the trial version
  • You do not try to register the free trial to a prior existing FFXIV account
  • You do not try to register the free trial to a Square Enix service account that has already been linked to a paid FFXIV account
  • You do not try to register the free trial to a Steam account that has linked to a paid FFXIV account
  • You do not try to register the free trial to a PSN account that has linked to a paid FFXIV account
  • Your region is correct
  • You have the correct free trial version for your platform
If you had a previous FFXIV account and register the free trial, keep in mind you cannot link your old account to the free trial version.

RECOMMENDED BUYING OPTIONS
Current best value for newcomers and free trial players:
Complete Edition - contains the base game (ARR) and all expansion packs, as well as 30 days of subscription time, starting from when you register the game's product key.

For people who own the game already:
FFXIV Shadowbringers - Stormblood will be automatically included if you don't already own it. Since Heavensward is now included with the base game, this means all you need to buy is the Shadowbringers expansion to get Stormblood as well and have all current content. Note that this does not include a free 30 days.

Is the collector's edition worthwhile? For some reason I can't find info on what that actually includes.
It's all cosmetic stuff. It's up to you.
  • In-game items from the Shadowbringers Collector's Edition:
    • Grani Mount
    • Wind-up Fran Minion
    • Revolver Gunbreaker Weapon
  • In-game items from the Stormblood Collector's Edition:
    • Syldra Mount
    • Wind-up Bartz Minion
    • Chicken Knife Red Mage Weapon
  • In-game items from the Heavensward Collector's Edition:
    • Flying Griffin Mount
    • Dark Knight Cecil-themed Baron Helm
    • Wind-up Kain
    • Fantasia, an item that grants you a single opportunity to edit your character's appearance.
  • In-game items from the A Realm Reborn Collector's Edition:
    • Fat Chocobo Mount
    • Coeurl Mount
    • Wind-up Moogle Minion
    • Baby Behemoth Minion
    • Behemoth Barding
    • Helm of Light

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (provided by rpm ):
Q: When does 5.3/the ARR rework/the new free trial release?
A: The maintenance that adds 5.3/the ARR rework/the new free trial is scheduled to end on August 11th at 3 AM PDT.
t1597140000z4.png

Q: What does the new Free Trial include?
A: The new Free Trial includes all of the content from A Realm Reborn (the base game) and Heavensward (the first expansion). The new free trial level cap is 60.

Q: What are the free trial restrictions?
A: https://support.na.square-enix.com/rule.php?id=5382&la=1&tag=freetrial
  • Free Trial Players are not required to purchase licensed software to use the Free Trial.
  • One (1) Free Trial account may be registered using a Square Enix account so long as that Square Enix account has not been previously registered with any version of the game.
  • Free Trial Players cannot make in-game micro transactions during the Free Trial.
  • Free Trial Players can create only eight (8) playable characters, restricted to one (1) playable character per world.
  • Free Trial account characters have their level capped at level thirty five (35).
  • Free Trial account characters can obtain only a capped amount of in game currency (GIL).
  • Free Trial Players cannot use the "shout", "yell" or "tell" in-game chat options during the Free Trial.
  • Free Trial Players cannot access the in-game market board during the Free Trial.
  • Free Trial Players cannot trade items with other players during the Free Trial.
  • Free Trial Players cannot use the Mogletter service during the Free Trial.
  • Free Trial Players cannot hire a retainer character during the Free Trial.
  • Free Trial Players can join a Linkshell if invited, but cannot create a new Linkshell during the Free Trial.
  • Free Trial Players cannot create or join a Free Company during the Free Trial.
  • Free Trial Players can join a party if invited or by using the Duty Finder, but cannot assemble a party during the Free Trial.
  • Free Trial Players cannot login to the Lodestone and or any other game forum during the Free Trial.
  • Free Trial Players cannot progress past Floor 10 in the Deep Dungeon during the Free Trial.
These are the restrictions of the current free trial. The only known changes to this list are the level cap (35 -> 60) and the Deep Dungeon progression cap (Floor 10 -> Floor 200, which is the final floor, meaning the restriction has been fully lifted from Deep Dungeon)

Q: Can I play the Free Trial if I've already bought the base game (A Realm Reborn/Starter Edition)/received the base game for free through a promotion (Alienware Arena, Twitch Prime, free PSN giveaway)?
A: No, the Free Trial is not accessible to those who have already bought the base game.

Q: Is a subscription required if I own the base game but am still in A Realm Reborn/Heavensward content?
A: Yes, you need to pay the subscription fee if you own the base game/are not on the Free Trial.

Q: I'm currently playing the Free Trial. Will my current Free Trial be upgraded to the new Free Trial?
A: Yes, you should be automatically upgraded when 5.3 releases.

Q: What do I need to buy if I want to continue playing after the free trial?
A: You need to buy both the base game and the latest expansion, Shadowbringers. These can be bought separately, or together in the Complete Edition.

Q: Does the base game/the Complete Edition include 30 days for free? Do expansions include 30 days for free?
A: The base game/Complete Edition provides a free 30 days. Every time the base game/Complete Edition is registered on a new platform, you will receive a free 30 days (i.e. if you're playing on PC, buying and registering the PS4 version to your account would provide you with a free 30 days.

Q: Does the game have cross-play/cross-progression? Can I play the free trial on two platforms at once?
A: The game has unified servers across all platforms. You can play your account/characters across multiple platforms if you buy the game on multiple platforms. You cannot play a free trial account across multiple platforms; if you want to play on two or more platforms, you must buy the game on each platform you wish to play it on.

Q: Can you pay the subscription via PSN?
A: No, subscriptions are paid via SE's own XIV account management website, MogStation. You can pay with a credit/debit card, PayPal, or via prepaid game time cards found in stores or on Amazon.

Q: How does cross-server play work?
A: Servers are grouped into clusters called "data centers". You can play with others within your own data center. The main things that are still determined by your server is what FCs (read: guilds) you can join (you can only join FCs on your own server) and housing (you can only own housing on your own server)

Q: What is the "Recruit a Friend" system? How does it work?
A: The "Recruit a Friend" or "RAF" system is a system that allows both existing and new players to be rewarded for bringing in new players to XIV/joining XIV. For recruits, the rewards are:
  • Friendship Circlet, a headgear that increases XP by +20% when level 25 and below
  • 99 Aetheryte Tickets. An Aetheryte Ticket allows you to use a ticket to teleport instead of incurring the normal gil cost.
  • A fist bump emote.
  • 10 Silver Chocobo Feathers, which you can trade in for gear
RAF codes are entered after you buy the game, but before you pay for your first month. You will receive the rewards upon paying for your first month.

TIPS:
0. (Precursors)
I'm making my way through Stormblood and so far my biggest tip would be to slow down and enjoy the story and not worry about end game so much.
Enjoy yourself, and play as much or as little as you feel like. The story is the primary content of the game and is the uniting factor everyone praises it for.
Take your time and smell the roses. You don't have to (and probably shouldn't) focus on progressing through the game as quickly as possible to the exclusion of everything else. Endgame's not going anywhere.
I think the overall story is definitely a highlight for the game, especially by the time you hit the expansions. I really would encourage people to play at a pace that works for them, and not just rush to the endgame if possible. I'd also take the time to catch up with 'side content' in the game, including the 8 and 24 man raids (which have their own story), and things like the Hildibrand and Delivery Moogle Quests as some other side quests to check out.

Also if you're like me and end up getting really into the fashion aspect of the game with glamours, I'd recommend checking out Eorzea Collection and the FFXIVGlamours subreddit if you're looking for outfit ideas for each job you play. Definitely check out the guides linked on how to use the glamour dresser and glamour plates so you can save your favorite looks.

Looking forward to seeing new players embark on their journey in Eorzea and checking out the free trial. Hope you guys have a great time with the game.

0-a.
Another link you could add to the OP is this glamour guide. I met quite a lot of people who play for weeks without knowing you can change the appearance of your gear. One of the most important features. :)

fashionninjutsu.com

A Guide to Glamour in FFXIV

Most of the time, when I get a request from Patrons, I’m asked to put together a new glamour, but returning player and Patron Helena wanted to see a breakdown of how glamour works in the game…
A fresh look improves your enjoyment of pretty much everything. It's also really cool to see your character in cutscenes. The glamour guide linked is great for getting started.

0-b.
Is there a way to make the dialogue text bigger? they are very small to baffling levels (on cutscenes at least)
On PC it's easy, just right click a dialogue box. On PS4 I had to activate the mouse mode, right click it and then I could scale it.

0-c. You can play FFXIV with either a mouse and keyboard setup or with a controller. The controller scheme works just as well as m-kb setups thanks to its fantastic support by the FFXIV dev team. Hotkeys can be customized in character settings via the main menu.
I feel like I'm running into a wall with targeting using a controller though, comfy as it is. Been playing paladin and it's rare but the cases where I need to target an ally with shirk or something is always a struggle, especially as parties get larger. Kinda why i'm also hesitant to try a healer, since I feel like that's even more target swapping.
With a controller, you can select party members by pressing the up or down arrows on the dpad. Pressing the dpad's left or right arrows will select the nearest targetable object, whether npc, enemy, player character, or item. Pressing L1 or R1 will select only enemies, from left to right or right to left. You can also go into your button configuration for controller and customize which buttons do what. You can also set up L3 or R3 to target the enemy a selected player is targeting via assist target.
Wanna add that controller is a great way to play! I did my whole run on a DS4 controller and it was great, it's an amazingly accessible control scheme if you feel daunted by all the key binds on the KBM or don't have it set up yet on the PS4. You can even use it in combination with a KB for chatting.

This guide handily covers most of the key controller pointers like the extended crossbar and targeting.

I started FFXIV about 2 months ago.

Best advice I can give to anyone playing on a controller on PC or PS4 is learn to use the Expanded Hold Controls and the WXHB.

You will never be lacking buttons again specially when you reach high levels when there is a lot of actions available.

I also configured the XHB to have all my out of battle buttons displayed automatically when I sheathe my weapon.

Honestly as far as controller and HUD customization go FFXIV is a masterclass that every other game regardless of the genre should learn from. It's amazing how much you can do.
The expanded hotbar settings for controllers are absolutely essential once you get to higher levels. Having to constantly swap between hotbars was getting really cumbersome for me, but enabling those extra options made a world of difference (in a good way).
General controller tips:

- On DS4, press trackpad (Select button for other controller iirc) to cycle between UI elements on screen. Not sure if the game already made it clear about this but I had a friend who didn't know and needed to use a mouse for this which can be annoying if you are using a controller.

- If you are using a controller, auto-translate is very useful even if you are speaking the same language. You'll be able to communicate with commonly used phrases (which is all you'll need for most general contents) without needing to type it out.

You can do this by pressing trackpad then X to enter chat window and press R1 for the list of auto-translate phrases in many different categories.

- You can copy item names by pressing square and copy then press L1+R1 to paste (I think you need to enable this it the setting first). This is especially useful when searching for items on the market board.
I would make use of W Cross Hotbar (WXHB). I found it really helpful. Your cross Hotbar can fill up quickly and WXHB allows you to access your other hotbars quickly by double tapping R2 or L2.

Option > System > Character Configuration > Hotbar Settings > Custom tab > Enable WXHB

This guy goes over it.
youtu.be

FFXIV WXHB Tutorial Reborn

This tutorial goes over all of the fundamentals of the W- Cross Hotbar (WXHB) and Expanded Hotbar features for controller users in Final Fantasy XIV. This ca...
To add to this, you can also press R1/L1 while holding R2/L2 to switch targets without having to use the d-pad and press X to hard target enemies. This is particularly useful when you need to switch between multiple enemies mid fight.
O6Kv3Vx.png

This is how I have my UI using a controller. This let's me see all my skills I need and I also have my "class-specific bar" set between them.

But a big since is that sprint button. It's actually on a hotbar so it can only be clicked while using a mouse. So then why is it there?

So- going into User Macro, either spot 98 or 99, I have the following text: /ac "Sprint" <me>

Then I go to System Configuration -> Gamepad Settings -> Button Configuration -> Change pressing right analog stick to Macro 98 or 99.

This ultimately allows you to use sprint like you would in an FPS or other games and when it goes off, it will actually cause the Sprint icon to go on a CD so you know when it is up again. This is useful because it can be easy to forget it's there and there is plenty of fights where being able to sprint a lot is useful.

If this was already covered, sorry! But I wanted to put it in here to help anyone.
For those who like to have cleaner ui (mostly for controller users):

- If you uncheck 'Always display cross hotbar' in the Character Configuration-> Hotbar Setting--> Cross, the cross hotbar will only appear when you are holding R2 or L2 (or R1 that's used to toggle between cross hotbars).

- If you use WXHB and don't want it to always be on, but you still need to see it to keep track of the cooldowns, you can also add regular hotbars and put the skills you need to keep track of in them.

- You can also hide text chat log by pressing square while selecting the log and select the option to hide it for even cleaner ui.

- HIDE NAMES you don't really need to see everyone's and their pets' names. Play around in the Display Name Setting and choose what you think you need to see.

- You can choose to hide duty list during instanced/non instanced duty. You don't really need to see all those quests you have when you're in a dungeon.

- You can instantly change window size (for character, inventory, etc.) with R3

- Or just L1+touchpad to hide them all. you can still play the game this way unlike /gpose. It even work in cutscenes.

..and generally just play around with the setting. There are so much you can customize in there. You can move and resize ui elements in HUD Layout and you can choose what to display or hide in the many pages of Character Setting.
To add to this, you can also press R1/L1 while holding R2/L2 to switch targets without having to use the d-pad and press X to hard target enemies. This is particularly useful when you need to switch between multiple enemies mid fight.

0-d. If you are on PS4, use a USB plug in keyboard for easy communication with other players. You can also play via mouse and keyboard on the PS4.
What's the best way to handle targeting with KBAM? Any tips for positioning? I just can't adjust from using a DualShock on the PS3.

I've been playing on PC for a bit and it's driving me nuts. I'm a level 30 MRD my parties have got to be thinking that their tank is drunk out of his mind.

No deaths yet, but I know I'm playing sloppy as hell and it's frustrating to frantically switch targets and land on the wrong one so often (or worse, resort to manual mouse clicks).
For targeting using tab has always worked fine for me. It can be a little wonky some times but as a tank you are usually just gathering big groups using AOEs so it isn't a big deal. Also make use of the threat list. It's that list that is on the left side of the screen (by default) that shows all the enemies your party is engaged with. Sometimes it's easier to glance at it and click on the creatures that are green (you don't have aggro) than it is to swing the camera around trying to find the mob that's attacking your part member. You might want to move it a bit closer to the center of the screen for easier reading.
You can bind a key to "Confirm" which will target whatever is in front of you just like on a pad. I rarely use it but sometimes it can help to get an auto-attack target while AoEing. There's also the Target Filter (default binding is 'X') you can customize, I mostly use it to find all the NPCs in the crowd on patch days! The game does separate that one from the gamepad's target filter system which can be confusing when setting it up.
MDZxFwm.png

To clarify more, the enemy list on the left shows every monster that is currently engaged in combat with the party. The color is their current threat with you, red is you are on top threat with them, followed by orange , yellow, then green. The bar under the name is the monsters health bar, and if they are casting abilties that will show up on a cast bar there too for easy targeting and interupting or just knowing when to react to things.

The bars under the class icons on the right in the image dictate the threat level of the monster you have targeted, who ever is on top threat will always show a full bar and the other bars will fill up in relation to the distance to the max threat of the person with the most.

These are both very important
Thanks for the tips! I do have one more question, though:

I'm playing as an Arcanist for my starting class, and every time my Emerald Carbuncle attacks an enemy and ended up pulling nearby enemies, my character sometimes stops targeting the initial enemy. And when that happens, I can't seem to target any enemy. What am I doing wrong here?
You might be getting confused between soft targeting and hard targeting.

Hard target is probably what you think of as a normal target. To hard target an enemy, you need to press X button on it. Then after you attack the enemy, you will still be targeting it afterwards.

Soft target is like a temporary target. To soft target enemy, you select it with the d-pad without pressing the X button. Then you can do one action on the enemy, afterwards you will return to your hard target. Or if you have no hard target, you will stop targeting.

When your carbuncle pulls other enemies I guess they attack you, and I think you automatically soft target enemies that attack you.

Just remember to always press X button to hard target an enemy. And after you kill that enemy you need to press X to hard target another one. I'm guessing that's the part that's missing for you.

0-e.
Not sure if mentioned already, and this is more of a precaution/warning to groups of newbie friends looking to start the game together. Depending what job class you and your friends pick, you will all start in different areas and won't be able to play together for a small time, unless if you have someone already experienced in game taxi you guys to eachother to at least meet up. You can probably make it on foot I think but it's suggested you play on your area and do story and class progression until you unlock the first dungeon.

I'm sure someone else can explain this better then me.

I remember this happening years ago with my friend and his cousin and there was disappointment and frustration lol. (This was before I played at all)
Yeah till you reach a point on history (is quite early tho, its before the first dungeon) if you choose Arcanist, Marauders, your starting city is Limsa Lominsa, and that is on an Island, so even with a someone working as a taxi it wouldnt work.
If you start as a lancer, archer anc conjurer, you start in New Gridania
If you start as thaumaturge, gladiator or pugilist, you start in Uldah

Those last 2 cities can be reached by walking through with monsters way above your level, but if a player with a mount can serve as a taxi to reunite them.
The three starting cities are Ul'Dah, Gridania, and Limsa Lominsa. Each city has classes that correspond to it. Your choice of starting class determines the city your character arrives in at the start of the game.

b72ac7750d030d72312245a10f3b7d2e.jpg

Ul'Dah, the desert kingdom
Classes: Gladiator (GLD), Thaumaturge (THM), Pugilist (PGL)

f18018d71cd79d56a5b320b8aa2eb9d9.jpg

Gladiator

cad1d0444fd793920625be08344a9b35.jpg

Thaumaturge

d6bf9835c196c235bf12cf4aaccad6bf.jpg

Pugilist

20200811-082347.jpg

Gridania, the forest society ruled by elementals
Classes: Archer (ARC), Lancer (LNC), Conjurer (CNJ)

4bcd23df5255db1b408ea99d1212c55b.jpg

Archer

FFXIV-lancer-box.jpg

Lancer

602ff3f89f2c5d8a6b6e240212326d46.jpg

Conjurer

ffxiv-structure-limsa-lominsa.jpg

Limsa Lominsa, the maritime state
Classes: Marauder (MRD), Arcanist (ACN), Rogue (ROG)*
*unlocks at level 10

ff14-elezen-male-marauder.jpg

Marauder

17b69a3cfabad55b615b2335629ffa62.jpg

Arcanist

62-626472-final-fantasy-art-rogue-final-fantasy-xiv.jpg

Rogue

You will visit all three cities within the first several hours of the game's story, so don't worry if you decide you aren't fond of your starting class and want to try a different one. In FFXIV, you can switch classes simply by changing your weapon. Expanded jobs will unlock as you progress the game. Note that you must own the related expansion to each job to unlock them. Heavensward is now included with the free trial and starter editions, so Dark Knight (DRK) and Machinist (MCH), as well as Astrologian (AST) will unlock upon reaching Heavensward for all players.

MNSoIXq.jpg

Left to right: Dark Knight, Astrologian, and Machinist

You also have the job actions video for Shadowbringers:

In addition to what's been posted, if you'd prefer a text overview of the jobs, there's an official set of overviews for each one here.

na.finalfantasyxiv.com

FINAL FANTASY XIV Job Guide

In FINAL FANTASY XIV, sufficient mastery of a class will open up the path to one or more related jobs and their respective actions. To learn more about job actions, traits, and job gauges, check out the section below.

It lists the skills for each job, and at the bottom of each it explains their individual gauges, combos and mechanics.

0-f.
As a sidenote, when you make a character: join a preferred server. You get double EXP or something before level 70 for 90 days. You will never need to grind just to enjoy story content if you do this even before the EXP adjustment. It lets you really just enjoy the story.

0-g.
Speaking of controls, I don't remember if this has come up yet in this thread, but for people using mouse and keyboard I heavily recommend switching your movement from Standard to Legacy. This can be done under Character Configuration, and it's the first option on the General tab under Control.

It takes a bit of getting used to if you've been playing on the default movement for a bit, and it might not be everyone's cup of tea, but legacy movement lets you run backwards instead of slowly backing up when you move backwards. It makes positioning much faster and easier during tough content where you need to reposition a lot to dodge attacks. (I've never played with controller, so I don't know if this is an option for that as well.)
Controller is legacy by default.

That being said, I still play standard and just bind strafe to Q+E on KBAM and turn the camera a little to run sideways out of AOEs.

Another tip for KBAM is that a pad like the Razer Tartarus or Hori Tactical Commander, and/or an MMO mouse like the Razer Naga will make playing the game and simplifying your hotbars 100000x easier.
Yeah Legacy is truth. I switched to it while raiding because trying to keep uptime while moving led to a lot of instances of my character snapping back to attack which caused me to wipe. This was an issue with standard controls.

Legacy does not do this so you can attack while moving without snapping backwards. It makes a huge difference and makes things easier imo

1. Feel free to ignore all of the quests other than main story and unlock quests, denoted by their blue color in the chart below.

ce4d811dedc143d4da04f6f0f74a9e1c6fff6f.jpg

Normal sidequests don't offer anything other than more experience and possibly some lore about the world of Eorzea. Main story quests will progress the main scenario. Unlock quests will unlock gameplay content and typically come with stories of their own (which may be referenced or alluded to by the main story if you complete them!). It's always a good idea to do the unlockable content quests as you come across them. Normal sidequests are great for leveling up an alternate job later on.

2. Don't worry about side content outside of the unlockable raids, dungeons, and trials. A/S rank hunt trains, relic weapons, Palace of the Dead, Eureka, treasure maps, and even crafting, can all be done later, or when you need a break from the narrative. Crafting is a huge deal in FFXIV and can even be the primary way you play the game - but the game is still predicated on your completion of the main story, and the story is the meat of the game. Crafting is also time and resource intensive. The unlockable raids, dungeons, and trials all either come with their own story arcs or are tied to the main scenario. Some of these may be referenced by the main story later, and some further still are actually required for Shadowbringers (the Crystal Tower quest line).

3. Make sure you unlock both your mount and companion at levels 20 and 30, respectively. You can unlock mounts by doing the quest My Little Chocobo at level 20, related to your specific Grand Company, which you'll join as part of the main scenario. You can then do the quest My Feisty Little Chocobo at level 30 to unlock your chocobo as a fighting companion on the field. Note that companions can't be used or summoned while in an instanced duty. You can view the status of your chocobo, it's support skills, and its equipment under the Companion window from the main menu.

ffxiv-05022014-133117.png

What's the most efficient way to achieve this? I started a character a few months ago (and only played for a bit, then stopped, due to other commitments) and when I got the chance to unlock my mount, I wasn't sure what the best (and quickest) method was to obtain the company seals required for the issuance.
The quickest way to obtain Grand Company (GC) seals is by doing your Grand Company Hunting Log. This will net you a lot of seals within the hour.

4. Using the leveling roulette once a day when it unlocks will help you level extremely fast. Duty roulettes are a set of options available via the Duty Finder from your main menu that give daily bonuses to experience, tomes, and gil on top of the normal rewards. They refresh every morning and are the best tool you have for gaining resources quickly.

5. Use your Tomestones of Poetics to purchase gear at the levels 50, 60, and 70. These gear sets are the most accessible top item level gear for their respective levels and will make accessing raid content for that level a breeze. You get a ton of them by doing roulettes and dungeons as you progress through the story, they're basically an unlimited resource. Tomestones cap out at 2000, so make sure you spend them to make room for more.

6. Tomestones are the primary form of endgame currency used for max item level gear. Players at endgame usually aim for a mix of this gear and gear won from raids to maximize their character builds. There are usually three forms of tomestones active at any time, with poetics being a permanent constant and the highest level tomestone (currently Allagan Tomestones of Allegory) having a weekly acquisition cap of 450 tomes, which resets every Tuesday at 1AM Pacific standard time (PST).

7. Log out in towns or settlements near aetherytes to gain a daily experience bonus. This usually extends to a +50% exp bonus for a full level each day.

8. Make it a habit to immediately attune to every aetheryte and aetheryte shard you see. They typically look like so

New-Gridania-Aetheryte-Plaza.jpg

Aethernet-Shard.jpg

These are the primary method of getting around and everyone uses them.

9. Once you reach Heavensward you'll be able to unlock flight via Aether Currents, pictured below.

ffxiv-06172017-175147-1280x720.jpg

They can be obtained by either finding them around the various zones or completing blue unlock quests in each area. You can either use your aether compass to find the nearest one or google a map for your particular zone to find their locations.

10. Don't worry about Parsing just yet. Parsing is the act of using a third party program to measure data packets from XIV and give a reading of your combat data in numeric form. It's useful for difficult endgame content and analyzing your performance, but is officially banned from being used or talked about in game to avoid harassment by unsavory players. I'll post resources for this tool if you want to use it to help you improve below. As a general rule, just learning how your job works and being friendly are all the tools you'll need to complete the game and have a good time.

11. You can ignore other players by right clicking or pressing square/Y and selecting ignore from the drop down menu. This is useful against RMT bots spamming the chat and unfriendly players. You can also select their name from the chat log to ignore them.

12. You can toggle player names appearing via character settings from the main menu. I hated seeing a sea of player names every time I logged in to Limsa Lominsa and this fixes that.

13. You can customize your HUD and UI however you like from the main menu.

6acbaedd7bd48734f1de8eb74ba64f6f2524e6.jpg

Everyone has a different preference, and you can actually improve your combat performance by tailoring your HUD to your playstyle. You can read a detailed introduction to the UI via the FFXIV Official UI Guide.
Is the sprint button always next to the hotbar? How do you place it there? Also if possible can you rundown how to move the job specific meter to above the WXHB?

And i've been curious. On the bottom right of the HUD there's a bunch of dots. I'm not sure if its suppose to represent the number of PCs/Enemies active in the fight or what. I kind of want to get rid of it but if its important to have I'll deal.
Sure!

So to start you go to: Start -> System -> "Character Configuration" -> "HUD" (looks like the 8 squares) -> "Enable Hotbar 7" -> Click the 1x12 option.

Note: Make sure in this same menu that: "Hide Unassigned Slots" is on.

Then go to Start - > System -> Hud Layout -> Now it's called something different for each class but for PLD it's called the "Oath Guage" you simply click it (best to use mouse here) and drag it into the middle of the WXHB (you can use the d-pad to fine tune it's movement and press down on the right analog stick to increase size)

Then look around for Hotbar 7, drag it until it matches this:

1GrdCkp.png

Now save your HUD.

Start -> Character -> Actions & Traits -> General.

Your going to want to use your mouse for this but you want to click and hold Sprint and then drag it down to the very bottom spot of Hotbar 7. Once done you can exit out of your skill and none of the other assigned spots will show.

Now whenever you use the macro by clicking the right analog stick, you can see Sprint go on CD without it taking up a traditional spot.

Let me know if this helps... or not.

Edit: Also all of the dots in the bottom right corner is just showing you your inventory space at a glance.

Do your hunting log/challenge log as well. Free XP and Gil.
Hunting and Challenge logs can be accessed from the main menu. They're a useful resource while progressing and will speed your early leveling process.

J0wLgaJ.png

Hunting logs pertain to various monsters listed for your current class, and will reward an experience bonus upon completing them.

9GsId6U.jpg

Challenge logs reward experience and gil dependent on various objectives listed in the logbook. These reset every week on Tuesdays at 1AM Pacific Standard Time (PST), and can be repeated.

Don't forget to go back and do your job quests as you level! Important skills are locked behind them.
Job quests will unlock key skills that are part of your job's rotation and provide extra lore, story, and experience as well. New job quests unlock every 5 levels or every other level after level 50. The location of the quests vary depending on the events in each job quest line and the associated NPCs. If you are unsure of where to find your next job quest, the FFXIV Community Wiki contains all quest and associated NPC (non-player character) locations and coordinates.
At level 30 you can take the quest to turn into your advanced job (Gladiator>Paladin, Archer>Bard, etc). Don't be the guy who's still a Conjurer in a 50+ dungeon.
It should be noted that the nine base classes aren't equipped to handle the later dungeons past A Realm Reborn. It's recommended to upgrade to your class's job as soon as it becomes available.

16. Don't waste gil on new equipment. Gear is rewarded to you via main story quests at frequent intervals and will get you through all the way until levels 50 and 60 of both ARR and Heavensward and beyond. Gil is actually somewhat hard to come by and should be saved for that hot new glamour item on the market board you really want. Or for buying a house, which is a whole can of worms in itself.
I would also add not to worry about gil as much, at least for getting gear. They hand out gear every other quest (seemingly) and you'll be running plenty of dungeons and getting chances at drops there.
Each of the big cities (Limsa, Gridania, Uldania, and others for expansions) have vendors for gear. Some smaller towns in maps might have as well, but the cities have from lv 1 to 50. It's pretty cheap as well. Don't buy off the marketboard as that's most likely priced higher (but do check). Otherwise the main story quest gives you new gear (so once you catch up, no need to worry again), plus dungeons obviously.

A nice tip for gear that lasts from like lv 12 (or whenever you can equip it) to 30 is the gear you get from doing the Hall of Novice: https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Hall_of_the_Novice
It's at the inns at the cities, or outside the first few dungeons you'll do. As you can always redo them you can get free and good gear!

This is the most obvious advice in the world but I think it matters a lot:
See if you can convince friends to start with you. If not, seek out other new players in-game.

It's all well and good knowing people at cap, but that's most of the population, and will only make you feel like you're so far behind and need to catch up, you'll miss a lot of good content. If you can convince your friends to start the game with you, you'll have a group of people all discovering things at the same time, and you'll have people more willing to run old content since it's not so old for them.

I know a lot of XIV players pride themselves on being helpful and willing to run old content, but it's never going to be a replacement for experiencing things for the first time with people who are also experiencing it for their first time. Learning how dungeons and boss fights work is more fun than having people tell you how they work, you know?
The best tip you can give anyone is to try and be social and aim to make some friends. The game is legitimately a hundred times better when you do content with people you know.

I know a lot of new players want to play solo but you're really missing out on half of the experience if you do so because at the end of the day this is an MMO after all. All those characters you see running around the world are real people like you and me.

A few hot tips of my own:
  • You should have a food XP buff up all the time when leveling. It's a +3% XP bonus plus some other stat bonuses depending on which food you get. 3% doesn't seem like a lot, but it adds up, and the cheapest food item is like 5 gil (basically nothing) and each food item lasts for half an hour (can stack up to an hour at a time, more if your FC has the food buff up)
  • Do the Hall of the Novice as soon as you hit level 15. Not only does it teach you important information, it gives you a decent set of gear for that level and a ring that gives a +30% XP boost when at or below level 30
  • If you decide to buy the full game, use someone's referral code, you get some neat stuff. Referral codes are inputted after you buy the game but before you pay for your first month, and the rewards are given when you pay for your first month.
  • You don't need to go out of your way to get gil. The mandatory gil sinks aren't that big (teleports, repairs), and the MSQ will give you enough to cover those.
  • You don't need more than one character. All jobs can be leveled on the same character, and it is advised you do so since there is a large XP boost if you have a higher level combat job than the combat job you are currently leveling
As Zen said, feel free to come join us in the OT, we don't bite, I swear

I don't have much to add, but I figure I can share some tips for instanced duties like dungeons and trials:

- There are "Limit Breaks" in dungeons, trials, and raids. These are party-wide, meaning the meter is shared for the whole party. Depending on the duty they can fill up to 3 bars (LB1>LB2>LB3), with the effect essentially being "better" the more bars. Tank barely use it, Healers can use it during emergencies (only LB3), and DPS are meant to use it. Melee DPS are single-target attacks, whereas ranged are AoE attacks (physical is a line, magic is a circle). Melee are meant to use it on bosses, ranged when the tank does giant pulls (some people still get annoyed at this, but they're factually wrong). So it depends on your party composition on when it's used. You'll mostly only have one LB per duty, so you'll get the hang of it eventually. The game is poor at explaining LBs, but you can find the skill under "General" in your skill tab.

- You'll have to do the math yourself, but generally you'll want to use your AoE attacks when there's 3 or more enemies as it deals more damage. Ranged DPS, and tanks, learn their AoE skills before their first dungeons. Melee dps is later.

- If you're a tank, keep enemies and bosses faced away from the party (usually you'll be north, party south). This increases their damage, as well as keeps them safe from some attacks.

- If you're a healer, the end goal is ABC (Always Be Casting). In this game every role can be seen as a DPS; you should attack as a healer. You don't need to keep the party at 100% HP, so attack instead. You'll get the hang of this balancing act, but trying it out early is good as the early dungeons are easy and forgiving.

I could write a few more (mainly for tanks (and don't worry, I'd say tanking is the most relaxing role!)), but these are pretty good if you're just starting.
Definitely in regards to playing a healer class, here are a few tips:

1. Don't worry about healing 'scratch' damage. Especially in early content, it's not a worry and you would be better suited doing damage.

2. Don't spam your AoE heal when you are only focusing on one target (usually the tank).

3. Casting a healing ability before a pull can risk pulling aggro to you if you are in range.

4. Between pulls is a good time to let the game restore HP/MP due to higher regeneration rates. It makes it an opportunity to use more expensive spells, but don't blow high-cooldown abilities.
Also, make sure you're using Lucid Dreaming on cooldown. Unlike WOW (which is where I came from), you can't "drink" in between pulls. So you need to use active mana regen to keep your mana up.

Oh and also make sure to go to a mender regularly to make sure your gear is repaired. You really don't want your stuff to start breaking in the middle of a dungeon run.
All equipment has a condition ranging from 100% (top condition) to 0% (broken). As you battle enemies your gear will wear and take damage. It's important to mend them to avoid gear breakage.

20200728-094835.png

Above you can see the status of each pieve of equipment denoted by the bar next to them. Green indicates the remaining condition of the piece. When a piece of equipment breaks, you lose all associated stat and defense benefits associated with that gear piece. When your gear is in top condition, the bar will be a blue color.

One thing that I think is really important is when doing group content like a dungeon or a trial for the first time, it's totally normal to be anxious or even a little nervous! If you're playing as a tank or healer particularly, let your group know that it's your first time running that particular dungeon! The vast majority of the XIV community is welcoming and helpful, especially to new players, and so don't be afraid to ask questions or let people know when you don't know something. Most players will probably assume this when they see the little "new player" sprout next to your name, but it's still good to be up front and honest when playing with others. :)
Always communicate. At the start of an instance other players will be told that someone is new, but that doesn't say if you're an alt, if you want to go blind, if you are fine with big pull sizes (if you're tank/healer), and so on. Just throwing out a "Hi, I'm new, please [don't spoil fighters/give boss tips/give me feedback/bear with me]" goes a long way. It's better for everyone. Please, just do it if you're not using a controller (and even if you are, at least make a basic macro).
Communication and teamwork is one of the most important aspects of combat in FFXIV at higher levels. As you progress the story, content will become more demanding and dependent on your understanding of battle mechanics, specific fight mechanics, job skills, and combat roles. By communicating with your team in instanced duties, you'll be able to better assess and understand what each person is doing in the fight, how to approach it, and what you need to look for. Not everyone will be accommodating or helpful, but there are usually friendly people who will talk to you. If nothing else, letting your team know you are new to the fight will grant you leeway in being able to make mistakes without fear of judgment from less friendly players, and breaks the ice.

I feel you should mention something about retainers. They should be used as early as possible not only for storing extra items and Gil but to be able to sell things on the market place.

Once you get them leveled up a little bit you can send them on quick explorations which can bring back valuable items you can sell for tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of Gil.

You also get two for free and are able to purchase an additional 1 for 2 extra dollars a month.
Retainers can be obtained from the retainer vocate npc in your starting city. The main story will take you there as part of the introductory tour. Make sure to take advantage of this. Retainers are the most important asset for selling wares on the market board and provide a lot of storage (175 slots per retainer). As a side note, your chocobo can store items as well, up to 70 slots.

zwbvv5vk1cd01.png

The Chocobo Saddlebag is accessed from the main menu, while retainer storage is accessed by summoning the retainer at a summoning bell in various towns and inns, pictured below.

unnamed-3.jpg

Nice! Yes the Chocobo Saddlebag is great mention. Also lets you store an additional unique item you wouldn't be able to have in your inventory, for example more than one Phoenix Down.

Don't assume a skill is worthless. Over my many years of playing the genre I've seen countless players immediately discount a new skill without actually understanding what it does.
Every action has it's purpose, there're single target actions and AoE actions. Use them properly. There're role actions too, for example; Second wind, which is extra healing for melee job. Before choose your job, you can read skill descriptions and basic rotation of each job here: https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/jobguide/dragoon/
Every job's skill palette is tailored to serve the job's playstyle and combat role. An individual skill that might at first appear to be unhelpful might be useful in a specific scenario where other jobs in that combat role can't act. One example is the Monk skill, Mantra, which increases the effectiveness of healing spells cast upon party members in a small radius around the user. This isn't helpful for the job's normal combat role, but can help a lot in situations where the team is taking heavy damage and healers need the extra support. Study your job skills carefully and don't be afraid to use them a lot to get a sense of how they work and what applications they might have. Some jobs, such as the Scholar, have complex skillsets that need to be fully understood to be played efficiently.

rz4k17j2iy2z.png

Skills can be viewed under Actions and Traits from the main menu. Traits are permanent passive status and effect bonuses granted to your job as you level, which can alter the way skills work in addition to strengthening your character. Every job also has a unique skillset for PVP in addition to its normal skills, which can be accesed under your PVP profile from the main menu.

dcxw6if0n3zy.png

24. If you become bored or dissatisfied with your character's appearance, you can change your hair and face makeup in the inn in your starting city, via the Aesthetician for a small sum of gil. You will first have to unlock him, by completing the level 15 quest Beauty is Only Scalp Deep. Note that you cannot change your character's race, skin tone, or physical features using this feature. The aesthetician can be summoned from the pictured bell below in inns.

unnamed-2.jpg

25. Should you wish to switch your character's gender, race, or physical features, you will need to use a Potion of Fantasia, an item that, upon use, will allow you to edit your character in the character creation screen when relogging. You get one bundled with the collector's edition if you buy it, and one after completing the A Realm Reborn main scenario. They are also available for purchase from the FFXIV Online Store at USD $10 per item.

ffxiv_12262013_182459_zps5795a2f0.png

26. If you wish to avoid the usual 10 to 20 minute queue times for instanced duties and want to stick with one core job, consider playing the Arcanist class, which later on can upgrade to both Summoner

FFXIV-Summoner-Artwork-1.png

and Scholar

Scholar-Artwork-XIV.png

This line is unique in that leveling one job will simultaneously level the other, since their levels are linked.
People who want to do something like this should also look into the Arcanist class, which splits into both Summoner (a DPS) and Scholar (a healer) at Level 30 and you only need to equip the right weapon to change between them. They share experience and both jobs level together, so it's the best one for switching between DPS in the open world and healer for fast queues in duties.

A tip for people about to head into a dungeon for the first time when you reach level 15 is to first visit a place called the hall of the novice. It includes tutorials on how each role (tank,healer,dps) functions in a dungeon.

As a bonus if you complete the novice quests I believe they actually award you with some pretty useful gear, so thats another reason to complete them even if you are already familiar with dungeon mechanics.
The Hall of the Novice is a series of quests aimed at familiarizing players with gameplay mechanics. It can be accessed by speaking to one of the smith NPCs located in the three starting cities of Limsa Lominsa, Gridania, and Ul'dah, in the respective Adventurer's Guild.

FFXIV-PUB-Patch3-2-44.png

Just started with my friend and we are taking our time. Any recommendation on which crafting class we should take for each of us?
Real talk, the answer is all of them. They all feed into each other to an insane degree with a few exceptions. If you just want to get the hang of things you could work on cullinarian. Once you reach HW content a crafting/gathering specialty area was added to the city with very simple recipes and ingredient list for fast exp and rewards exclusive to turn ins related to it.
As someone who has all crafters to 80 but isn't that great at crafting:
  • It's certainly a lot easier when you have some money to work with. I'd recommend those who don't have two gil to rub together to hold off for a while. I'm lazy, so I generally buy mats off the MB instead of harvesting them myself. If you insist on doing it all yourself, you're gonna have to level up other crafters/gathers in conjunction.
  • This is a very useful resource in terms of gear for up to 50. For 50-69, I had to craft my own gear, which was expensive. You can get scrip gear at 70 and 80, which I highly recommend doing.
  • You should do your GC turn-in every single day. Great source of XP for very little effort, especially for lower levels where you can buy the turn-ins for cheap from the MB or from a vendor.
  • Learn how to use Teamcraft. The Trial Synthesis they're adding looks to be similar for figuring out if you can craft it, but Teamcraft is still going to be better for seeing if you have the stats to make something and planning how you're going to do it
- Grand Company dailies are the way to go, especially the ones with stars that give double experience.
- Its easier and cheaper to simply level all of the crafter and gatherer jobs together because your leatherworker is going to need to use stuff made by your blacksmith
- Use your retainers to get annoying to gather or expensive goods like stuff that drops from mobs (skins)

So recently someone posted a Raiding Fundamentals guide on Akh Morning, and it's a pretty good read even if you don't raid because it covers a lot of the weird janky stuff XIV does that isn't necessarily intuitive. Why "I was out of that!" doesn't matter, the inconsistency between when you need to get out for animation-based snapshotting and castbar-based snapshotting, why you should *always* run into or avoid things from the front, not behind, the way damage and healing propagates out from sources, etc. It also highlights some of the real, good, non-parse-obsessive features of FFLogs: Being able tell when Addle is applying to non-targetable copies and actually mitigating damage, using the attack colors in FFLogs to easily tell the damage type of attacks and what kind of mitigation will work on them, etc.

It's a pretty good read if you're just interested in how the game functions as a collective of systems, and can help make sense of the seeming nonsense that can occur in combat. I don't think I've seen another attempt to be this comprehensive at just the basics of how the game functions outside of rotational stuff. Only thing I noticed it missing is a section on shield application delay.

Is there a dictionary (or something) that translate some of the terminology to the more common ones used? ie company is guild, duty is repeatable quests and the likes (Im just throwing terms here). How about the main mechanics terms?
Free Company -> Guild
Grand Company -> NPC Faction
Leve -> Task, usually offered by a Grand Company or local governing body in the game
Duty -> Instanced gameplay, either a dungeon, raid, boss fight, or a solo instance that is not shared with the overworld
Instance -> A zone or area
Trial -> Boss fight
Gil -> Money
Ilm -> Inch
Fulm -> Foot
Yalm -> Yard
Malm -> Mile
Popoto -> Potato
Lalafell -> Popoto
Aether -> Ether
Primal -> Summon
Tome -> Book
Linkshell -> Chat room, or communication network within the game's lore
Linkpearl -> Communication device for linkshells

I see some users using what seem to be quick chats in dungeons, how do you access these? are they chat macros these guys have set up? Can't seem to find much about it.
For quick chat, people usually use a combination of auto-translate and chat macros. Auto-translate is a feature that translates text into another user's language. Typing on a keyboard, if you type a letter, say letter h, and then press the tab key, a list of auto-fill words will show up for you to select. These words will usually show up in chat with arrows on each side, like shown below

zI7UqoS.png

To the person seeing these, the text between the arrows will appear in the language their client is set to. The below image shows the list that appears when selecting an auto-translated word.

auto-translate-chat-ffxiv.jpg

Macros are scripts used for a number of effects in FFXIV. They can be used to communicate, set timers, or execute skills. You can even set them up to perform a full rotation of skills on any given class or job. These tend to be used for crafting classes that require specific rotations for high quality (HQ) items. They tend to be less useful for combat because they lack the queueing effect to the server that happens when you press a skill key directly, but can still be useful for individual skills, either by cutting out the extra step of targeting, or letting the party know you have used that skill upon pressing the macro's assigned key.

They are also often used for communication. You can access macros from the main menu.

258df9c0705a674b7c67e8bb95af0cf94a3cb777.png

Within the macro box, if you type /say or /p, followed by a message, such as "Hello!", and then press its assigned key, it's effect will be to post "Hello!" immediately to the chat box in either local chat or party chat. You can also input auto-translate words to macros. You can find a guide to macros at the end of the post.

Not relate to gameplay but I recommend unlocking Fashion Report in the Gold Saucer asap for easy MGP weekly. You get 60000 for getting 80+ score each week. It's relatively effortless and depending on the week's challenge, quite cheap. You will at least get 10000 for participating (just talk to the NPC and select 'present yourself for judging') if you don't won't to bother with the challenge.
I don't remember the exact day but they'll give you the challenge early in the week and you can present yourself later in the week. Around weekend, there will be an info graphic of that week's challenge post on reddit that will tell you how to get easy 80+ points. I typically just check on that on Sunday, buy/equip/glamour whatever is cheapest/easiest to get and go present myself at the Gold Saucer for easy 60000 MGP.

Otherwise you can play the mini game in the Gold Saucer for MGP which will take way more time and effort. Also, the Gold Saucer's FATE is a good source of MGP, be sure to join whenever they come up. If you're willing to put in more effort, do the weekly Gold Saucer challenge.

MGP can be used to buy emotes, hair styles, mounts, fashion items, etc. There may be some events that you will need MGP to buy some of the rewards (i.e. FF15 event require MGP to buy the car and hairstyle)

------------------------------------------------------------
Below are a list of resources for quality of life and gameplay. I'll update all of this as I get new information or am corrected/told new tips. Thanks to everyone for your help on improving this thread.

RESOURCES:
FFXIV Community Wiki
- a community-based site for content guides and definitions of terms. Use this for looking up quest locations, loot tables, and other miscellaneous needs
Ariyala's FFXIV Toolkit - Useful for planning out your gear builds
Advanced Combat Tracker - Parsing tool to measure combat data
XIV Rotations - Tool for putting together skill rotations
The Balance - Useful resource for job guides and current metagame. The discord is more active than the website by nature and thus more up to date
FFLogs - Useful for looking at data averages. Beware using this to compare yourself against others. Many of the top end parses are unrealistic.
XIV Analysis - Alternate tool for data analysis.
Fashion Ninjutsu's Guide to FFXIV Glamour - A great guide for learning the glamour system.
The Eorzea Collection - a glamour enthusiast site dedicated to the game's most popular, and competitive, endgame.
FFXIV User Interface Guide - the official website's guide to understanding the user interface.
FFXIV Online Store - The official cash shop for FFXIV. A number of cosmetic items, mounts, minions, dyes, and other goods are sold here for real world money.
FFXIV Mogstation - The site for account management on FFXIV. This is where you pay your subscription or use account services such as server transfer.
The Lodestone - The official front page for FFXIV news about server status and maintenance, events, and more.
FFXIV Companion App - A $5/month downloadable app that lets you buy and sell through the market board without being logged in. You can also chat with other players who are on the app.
Akhmorning Raiding Fundamentals Guide - a great guide for raiding basics.
Late to the Party Finder's Macro Guide - a guide to macro creation and usage.

I may add more images to aid with clarity. Please let me know of any errors.

Last edited:

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
10. Don't worry about Parsing just yet. Parsing is the act of using a third party program to measure data packets from XIV and give a reading of your combat data in numeric form. It's useful for difficult endgame content and analyzing your performance, but is officially banned from being used or talked about in game to avoid harassment by unsavory players. I'll post resources for this tool if you want to use it to help you improve below. As a general rule, just learning how your job works and being friendly are all the tools you'll need to complete the game and have a good time.

OR ever. I've well over several thousand hours and i've never parsed and i've done plenty of high end raiding. Just learn to play your job and only worry about this if you're like top 90th percentile.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
Don't forget to go back and do your job quests as you level! Important skills are locked behind them.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Maybe sorta OT, but I have some questions about the free trial. I have a Japanese account from several years back. Will I be eligible to play the free trial content, or it something limited to certain regions/new accounts?

Jul 24, 2018
There are some side quests not marked by the Blue icons, that have interesting self contained storylines usually they have a picture thumbnail in their descriptions.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
OR ever. I've well over several thousand hours and i've never parsed and i've done plenty of high end raiding. Just learn to play your job and only worry about this if you're like top 90th percentile.
Sure, that might work for you, but that doesn't mean it's universally true for others doing high end content.

Parsing is a good way to figure out where the damage gaps are within a team (speaking for statics moreso than pugs) and address them as opposed to having no clue why the group is getting to Shiva's enrage with 5% health left.

For example, my static is currently about 5k dps short on the damage check for Shiva. I'm usually one of two people in my static pulling a 90%+ parse alongside 3 other people consistently hitting 50-75% parses. Our big sore spot is our RDM and to a lesser extent our healer DPS. All three of them are below the 10% mark.

We would have no idea about that if somebody wasn't parsing

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fanastic thread, thanks so much!

Will definitely be digging into all the resources come Aug 11.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm making my way through Stormblood and so far my biggest tip would be to slow down and enjoy the story and not worry about end game so much.

Edit: I do a decent amount of the sidequests as well. I enjoy them.

Oh and this is a general tip for MMOs - don't assume a skill is worthless. Over my many years of playing the genre I've seen countless players immediately discount a new skill without actually understanding what it does.

TheOther

Jan 10, 2019
Texas

Oh and this is a general tip for MMOs - don't assume a skill is worthless. Over my many years of playing the genre I've seen countless players immediately discount a new skill without actually understanding what it does.
I rushed through the MSQ and completely forgot to unlock the challenge log until I was level 80 in a Eureka party.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
Really asinine that you can't take advantage of this new trial with an old account (according to my FF14 playing friends anyways). I played pre-heavensward a lot and wouldn't ever start over just to take advantage of this even tho I'd love to jump in and check back in

OP
OP
Zen

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017

I like this. In fact it may be the most important tip. I've added it to the OP

Buttons

Oct 31, 2017
Another link you could add to the OP is this glamour guide. I met quite a lot of people who play for weeks without knowing you can change the appearance of your gear. One of the most important features. :)

fashionninjutsu.com

Most of the time, when I get a request from Patrons, I’m asked to put together a new glamour, but returning player and Patron Helena wanted to see a breakdown of how glamour works in the game…

ravnelis

Prophet of Regret
Jan 1, 2018
Thanks for this thread! I am downloading the game as I type this message. I will make sure to join the OT and let you know if I enjoy the game. :)

Btw creating an account is a nightmare, like in some MMOs from early 2000s. Maybe it's because I tried to download it on Steam?

TheOther

Jan 10, 2019
Texas
I would also add not to worry about gil as much, at least for getting gear. They hand out gear every other quest (seemingly) and you'll be running plenty of dungeons and getting chances at drops there.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Really asinine that you can't take advantage of this new trial with an old account (according to my FF14 playing friends anyways). I played pre-heavensward a lot and wouldn't ever start over just to take advantage of this even tho I'd love to jump in and check back in

They might eventually allow registered accounts to "fall back" to trial version functionality if they run out of subscription time, but as of right now the two are still treated as separate.

The game's good enough that if you ARE registered, it's still worth the twelve bucks or whatever to progress up to and through the end of Heavensward, plus you'll be able to do it with more social options and access to the marketboard. It isn't like trial version users are getting an identical experience except you're paying, which truly would be asinine.

OP
OP
Zen

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017

fashionninjutsu.com

Added to OP, thanks for this.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
See if you can convince friends to start with you. If not, seek out other new players in-game.

It's all well and good knowing people at cap, but that's most of the population, and will only make you feel like you're so far behind and need to catch up, you'll miss a lot of good content. If you can convince your friends to start the game with you, you'll have a group of people all discovering things at the same time, and you'll have people more willing to run old content since it's not so old for them.

I know a lot of XIV players pride themselves on being helpful and willing to run old content, but it's never going to be a replacement for experiencing things for the first time with people who are also experiencing it for their first time. Learning how dungeons and boss fights work is more fun than having people tell you how they work, you know?

Rothgil

Oct 28, 2017
Have they detailed what's changed in 5.3 for ARR? I have a level 30 WHM from the 2.0 days I was planning on either picking up or starting fresh and was debating either starting now or holding off until the patch

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Great thread, Zen.

• You should have a food XP buff up all the time when leveling. It's a +3% XP bonus plus some other stat bonuses depending on which food you get. 3% doesn't seem like a lot, but it adds up, and the cheapest food item is like 5 gil (basically nothing) and each food item lasts for half an hour (can stack up to an hour at a time, more if your FC has the food buff up)
  • Do the Hall of the Novice as soon as you hit level 15. Not only does it teach you important information, it gives you a decent set of gear for that level and a ring that gives a +30% XP boost when at or below level 30
  • If you decide to buy the full game, use someone's referral code, you get some neat stuff. Referral codes are inputted after you buy the game but before you pay for your first month, and the rewards are given when you pay for your first month.
  • You don't need to go out of your way to get gil. The mandatory gil sinks aren't that big (teleports, repairs), and the MSQ will give you enough to cover those.
  • You don't need more than one character. All jobs can be leveled on the same character, and it is advised you do so since there is a large XP boost if you have a higher level combat job than the combat job you are currently leveling

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Have they detailed what's changed in 5.3 for ARR? I have a level 30 WHM from the 2.0 days I was planning on either picking up or starting fresh and was debating either starting now or holding off until the patch

They trimmed down the amount of questing and traveling to get to the end of ARR's content, you unlock flying after the end of the ARR 2.0 main quest (shortly after you hit level 50), and you'll level faster and get smarter quest rewards. Other than that, they've massively streamlined how different jobs play, so playing a 30+ WHM in 5.3 is going to be a lot more intuitive and fun than playing one back then.

I'd suggest just picking it back up where you left off, not a lot of story would have happened by level 30. (you're basically just starting to track down Primals and understanding the nature of their existence).

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The best tip you can give anyone is to try and be social and aim to make some friends. The game is legitimately a hundred times better when you do content with people you know.

I know a lot of new players want to play solo but you're really missing out on half of the experience if you do so because at the end of the day this is an MMO after all. All those characters you see running around the world are real people like you and me.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
After a certain point the game became 100% Glamour hunting for me, and i loved it haha, i spent hours just trying to get equipment to make a new look or just putting looks together

OP
OP
Zen

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017

Great thread, Zen.

All good points, I've added these to the OP

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Can I use the free trial if I played a few years back and am still on the base game? I'd like to revisit it but I'm level 40 and really don't want to go through the slog of getting back to this point

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Can I use the free trial if I played a few years back and am still on the base game? I'd like to revisit it but I'm level 40 and really don't want to go through the slog of getting back to this point

With this I would ASSUME so once patch 5.3 hits (where the changes to the trail come into effect on Aug 11th). I would assume that it reverts an unpaid sub back to a free trial account, but this is SE and their whole account/payments system is STILL awful so you never know.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Pray go to the Waking Sands by boat from Limsa Lominsa.
Dear god how did I miss this
The revamp fixes this

Not unless they make changes to how the system works, no. You currently can't go back to the free trial once you've bought the game.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
All good tips. Been playing for the first time myself lately with a friend who's a veteran. Level 51 white mage at the moment, it's been great.

Definitely don't ignore side quests. I got sort of blinders on trying to get through the story in A Realm Reborn, didn't even realize I was missing out on skills through job quests, access to new dungeons through unlock quests, etc.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Wanna add that controller is a great way to play! I did my whole run on a DS4 controller and it was great, it's an amazingly accessible control scheme if you feel daunted by all the key binds on the KBM or don't have it set up yet on the PS4. You can even use it in combination with a KB for chatting.

This guide handily covers most of the key controller pointers like the extended crossbar and targeting.

Last edited:

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I've made it to almost to the end of ARR (I think) but my sub ran out and I let it run out. I'm going to wait for the overhauling patch to hit in August and then re-activate my account, wrap ARR up and get right into the expansions. These tips will help me greatly.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Take your time and smell the roses. You don't have to (and probably shouldn't) focus on progressing through the game as quickly as possible to the exclusion of everything else. Endgame's not going anywhere.

Pray go to the Waking Sands by boat from Limsa Lominsa.

If you're on a SSD, this is preferable. If not, it's a marginal difference to ride from Horizon, especially with mount speed increases.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Also, XIV (Complete Edition and Shadowbringers (includes all expansions)) is gonna be 50% off for like the next month

PSN:

FINAL FANTASY® XIV Online - Complete Edition

The complete FINAL FANTASY® XIV Online experience. Enter the realm of Eorzea and join over 20 million adventurers worldwide. Includes base game and all expansions. Begin the latest chapter and become what you must. Become the Darkness. -Shadowbringers™ -Stormblood™ -Heavensward™ -A Realm...

FINAL FANTASY® XIV: SHADOWBRINGERS

Take part in the next saga of the critically acclaimed FINAL FANTASY® XIV Online with the next legendary expansion pack—SHADOWBRINGERS New jobs Gunbreaker and Dancer New races Viera and Hrothgar Level cap increased 70 to 80 New cities The Crystarium and Eulmore Journey through expansive...

FINAL FANTASY® XIV: SHADOWBRINGERS - Collector's Edition

Collector’s Edition Items Grani Mount - Ride the formidable Grani and strike terror into the heart of any foe in your path. - Players must meet certain conditions to be able to fly and dive. - Flying is limited to Heavensward, Stormblood, and Shadowbringers areas. - Diving is limited to...

SE Store (banner is up showing 50% off, but prices are not yet live):
store.na.square-enix-games.com

FINAL FANTASY® XIV SALE

The Square Enix Store is the official shop for Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest, soundtracks, merchandise, video games and exclusive collector’s editions.

I assume it'll come to Steam at some point as well

Both PSN and SE Store show end dates of around 8/19

TheOther

Jan 10, 2019
Texas
Also, XIV (Complete Edition and Shadowbringers) is gonna be 50% off for like the next month

PSN:

FINAL FANTASY® XIV Online - Complete Edition

The complete FINAL FANTASY® XIV Online experience. Enter the realm of Eorzea and join over 20 million adventurers worldwide. Includes base game and all expansions. Begin the latest chapter and become what you must. Become the Darkness. -Shadowbringers™ -Stormblood™ -Heavensward™ -A Realm...

FINAL FANTASY® XIV: SHADOWBRINGERS

Take part in the next saga of the critically acclaimed FINAL FANTASY® XIV Online with the next legendary expansion pack—SHADOWBRINGERS New jobs Gunbreaker and Dancer New races Viera and Hrothgar Level cap increased 70 to 80 New cities The Crystarium and Eulmore Journey through expansive...

FINAL FANTASY® XIV: SHADOWBRINGERS - Collector's Edition

Collector’s Edition Items Grani Mount - Ride the formidable Grani and strike terror into the heart of any foe in your path. - Players must meet certain conditions to be able to fly and dive. - Flying is limited to Heavensward, Stormblood, and Shadowbringers areas. - Diving is limited to...

SE Store (banner is up showing 50% off, but prices are not yet live):
store.na.square-enix-games.com

FINAL FANTASY® XIV SALE

The Square Enix Store is the official shop for Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest, soundtracks, merchandise, video games and exclusive collector’s editions.

I assume it'll come to Steam at some point as well
To add to this: if you buy Shadowbringers you get all the other expansions with it.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Don't feel pressured to do sidequests, the game is overwhelmingly long so no need to do them if you're only in it for the main story.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I definitely recommend trying to play with a controller. I switched from mouse and keyboard to a controller after 700h of game time, and I never looked back. It's just so comfy and it feels.... nicer to play with one? It does take an adjusment period, but it's worth it 100% imo

Senator Rains

Oct 27, 2017
I played through ARR and like half of Heavensward and then I got burned out. It wasn't fun anymore especially with how classes work imo.

Thing is, I want to do the challenging fights and the raids (I literally bought the game so I can experience Alexander raid), but they're usually behind a god awful wait time, and when I assemble a party to try them, I get lvl 80 players who finish the raid while i'm watching the cutscenes lol (happened twice in Bahamut coil).

Also, my experience in Spriggan server was very bad. I thought it was for new players but it's filled to the brim with hardcore players who don't engage, mock, and complain. That includes the FCs which are a whole bag of trash.

My tip for new players would be to definitely find a friend you know to play with. It will make the experience much more enjoyable. Playing the game alone or with randos can be really depressing.

TheOther

Jan 10, 2019
Texas
I played through ARR and like half of Heavensward and then I got burned out. It wasn't fun anymore especially with how classes work imo.

Thing is, I want to do the challenging fights and the raids (I literally bought the game so I can experience Alexander raid), but they're usually behind a god awful wait time, and when I assemble a party to try them, I get lvl 80 players who finish the raid while i'm watching the cutscenes lol (happened twice in Bahamut coil).

Also, my experience in Spriggan server was very bad. I thought it was for new players but it's filled to the brim with hardcore players who don't engage, mock, and complain. That includes the FCs which are a whole bag of trash.

My tip for new players would be to definitely find a friend you know to play with. It will make the experience much more enjoyable. Playing the game alone or with randos can be really depressing.
They literally had to put IN unskippable cutscenes into the last two ARR main story quests because people would just skip cutscenes and leave other players in the dust.

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
I got to the end of ARR before my sub lapsed and I think I'm gonna renew soon

Is the expectation that you look up how to complete dungeons and raids before you do them? Whenever I or someone else in the party is clearly doing it for the first time and doesn't understand a quirk or gimmick of a puzzle or boss people get mad at them. I prefer to work things out as I play, reading a guide before I've even tried doing something for myself or having someone tell me exactly what to do isn't how I normally play games and it feels weird

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean they can now just teleport to the Waking Sands. That eliminates like 80% of the boredom right there.

CONCHOBAR

Oct 25, 2017
I got to the end of ARR before my sub lapsed and I think I'm gonna renew soon

Is the expectation that you look up how to complete dungeons and raids before you do them? Whenever I or someone else in the party is clearly doing it for the first time and doesn't understand a quirk or gimmick of a puzzle or boss people get mad at them. I prefer to work things out as I play, reading a guide before I've even tried doing something for myself or having someone tell me exactly what to do isn't how I normally play games and it feels weird
In my experience, people being short with new players is very rare. Even in the case of a wipe, my groups have only occasionally said anything other than tips for the encounter. I've never had any issue playing exactly the way you described: taking encounters as they come and figuring it out as I go. Players have died, groups have wiped, but I honestly can't recall a situation where one person flamed another over a dungeon encounter. For reference, I'm at MSQ 77, and Shadowbringers has had some of the trickiest dungeon bosses to date and yet I can't recall any anger or frustration from my groups.
I mean they can now just teleport to the Waking Sands. That eliminates like 80% of the boredom right there.
Wow, that IS a game charger. I spent so much time teleporting to Horizon or sailing in from Limsa.