• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Game developers are often working against a deadline, and with (sometimes literally) a world to build, so I feel it's easy for some obvious and not-so-obvious fixes that would have benefited the game a lot more.

Presumably if we put hundreds of hours into something, it's because we like the game. So, with respect to your favourites, what's a QoL fix you "discovered"/would have wanted that was reinforced through playing a game across hundreds of hours?

I'mma go first!

Xenoblade X

Jb2I95.gif

There's a few elements I'd probably fix, and like, way more obvious ones, but I'm willing to take something small here.
I wanted a "Keep Materials Only" option after fights. Xenoblade X is an item-heavy game between collectables, materials, and equipment between PCs and their robots. There's also an equipment limit of 999. Frequent drops of "busted" 1 STR weapons drop from any fight, and with the amount of grinding, even against low-level pawns....constantly getting equipment during grinds sucks. A shame because there's a handy "Sell All" " and Take All" buttons, (the latter which immediately converts excess materials over 99 to money), those are great ideas! But obviously equipment is more nuanced. But when you need 25 monster materials and keep nabbing Level 10 Equipment when you're 50 levels higher and 100 hours past that point, blows.

Final Fantasy X

LET ME SKIP CUTSCENES....AAUAUUUUUUUGGGHHHHH

tumblr_o4xj9euRFk1sjiojbo3_500.gif

YOU, I HATE YOU. YOU TALK SLOW. My incentive to grind in this game was literally so I didn't have to sit through long-ass cutscenes. X-2 makes this even worse by penalizing you on your completion %.

Smash Bros/ Hyrule Warriors /BOTW

fe242d0197e2e0322068fe5ab4999624.gif

It honestly bums me out no other game has referenced that Link once had pink hair. In an alt costume, in some dorky cutscene, or one of Link's "nostalgic" costumes. Kay, not a REAL problem.
But actual QoL: um BOTW's cooking/shrine scenes are too long/frequent, and I wish there was an "Equip Set" option to spare menu clicks.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
I'm going to het a hundred hours on Risk of Rain 2, and i desperately need an option to push a button after death to instantly go for another run in the same settings (character, loadout and difficulty and artifacts). Yes, i want to try another run after failing miserably a 96 minutes run.

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to completely redesign my island in Animal Crossing New Horizons. It took forever to set up things, I had to keep bringing up the menus so much. I can't describe them perfectly anymore because it's been a while, but that's what finally got me to stop playing the game after putting in over 100 hours.

Just let me be able to craft multiple things at once and make things faster.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of any small change I would do with RE5 other than have all story files found in game to also be at the library.

Shooting while moving came to mind but that would break the game.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I could've used more storage options for Horizon Zero Dawn. Too much item management in that game IMO.

Also having climbable ledges / wall nubs glow (or be otherwise indicated) would've been helpful.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Let me talk to people in FFXIV while being on my mount. Please Yoshi-P, I beg you.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
AC: Valhalla: being able to quickly switch between different types of bows. It's a pain to have to go to the menu to switch to the predator bow and back whenever you want to snipe.

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
I think many RPG's could use a x2 speed feature like Trails of Cold Steel; simple but effective.

AlexMurphy

Oct 19, 2018
Xenoblade chronicles 2. Let me change characters while exploring and in combat. There are other games with other QoL changes I'd want but none would open up the game more than this.

You could debate that this is bigger than QoL but it's a change they implemented in Torna and clearly is something the game had in mind but just couldnt implement in time. You can play as different characters anyway and this wouldnt alter game balance in any meaningful way, it would just encourage/open up the prospect of using your full team.

As is, I find myself always going back to Rex for important battles just because of Mythra. Character switching would give me reason to check out the others and experiment more with what is easily one of the deepest and most interesting battle systems I've played.

Infi

Oct 27, 2017
The Cold Steel series on PC. It has certain times when you are given the option to save and the option to proceed, I'd like it for them to add the option to exit at that point as these times always seem to be the time I want to exit. As it stands after you proceed there are usually long periods of dialogue that I have to skip past just to be able to open the game menu and quit unless I alt-F4.

CJCW?

Oct 27, 2017
After putting over 1000 hours into Rocksmith, I'm still baffled that there isn't a proper setlist feature. Instead I have to individually select the next song a want to play after finishing one. There's an infinite play mode that will cycle through songs based on the parameters you give it, and it even lets you use playlists you've made, but I don't want to have to make a new one every time I decide to play a bunch of songs in a row. Just let me queue up a bunch and get right into it.

OwensboroEsq

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny 2 - Allow a toggle for auto-disassembling of blues or lower. It takes 2 seconds to shard a blue...but you do it so often it would have saved me HOURS by now.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I didn't put hundreds of hours in Horizon Zero Dawn (close to 80h), but I always wished we had access to a 2nd weapon wheel by pressing R3 while selecting a weapon. There's 9 weapons in the game (plus 3 with the DLC) and you can only equip 4. It sucks.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Monster Hunter World.

When you complete a hunt, a 60-second timer starts and you are whisked back to your camp. Can't I just stay? Sometimes I see a bunch of stuff lying around I want to pick up and 60s is pretty fast. Also if you cart and the hunt is completed by your party, you may not have enough time to run back and carve.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I love all those old 3D Zelda games, but maybe they need to just have a jingle shortcut instead of having to play the whole song every time.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe Horizon Zero Dawn never got a "pass time" feature. Actually Ghost of Tsushima could use one as well.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
MH:World, just let me join the mission of a friend before i watched the cutscene thank you.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy IX, holding the full trance bar and choosing when to activate it.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy VII: Remake could use a summoning mode that just has the summon pop out and do their signature attack without the filler in between. Even just an option to dismiss them early with that effect would be very welcome.

It would also be great if your party members were more able to generate ATB on their own, because I think having to switch to them just to spam some auto-attacks and build ATB isn't the right kind of engagement.

Lastly, I'd really like it if the enemies worked more on some kind of aggro system. With the current implementation enemies strongly favor attacking whoever you're currently controlling, which can make some characters (read: Aerith) more of a pain to get comfy with than others.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
God I wish you could skip the damn news in Splatoon, but after New Horizons when they managed to copy the concept and make it even less informative and less interesting I have zero hope they'll do that.

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017
FFXIV - Let me keep all my skills and abilities in lower level dungeons. Scale down the power if you have to. Who cares if it makes them easier. Satasha isn't exactly the hardest thing in the world.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
I would have liked a couple of things from Bayonetta 2 when it came to replaying it for ranks: 1) not having to complete the whole chapter for your verses to contribute to your overall rank for the chapter, and 2) being able to start up a chapter from specific sections (or better, specific verses) so you don't have to play a large chunk of a chapter just to get to one verse you screwed up on. Astral Chain basically did this, and it makes me wish Bayo 2 did it as well because it would have been a great feature to have in a game I actually liked replaying.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Destiny 2. Where do I even begin?

Here's a small one: remove Glimmer (think World of Warcraft Gold) cost on mod swapping. Different activities require different load-outs and mod swapping. It's a core part of the game. And all of this requires a glimmer cost. It's really stupid.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Field Skills could have been WAY better.

Gathering field skills should just happen without an animation (just run over and it auto-gathers maybe with a notification but do not stop player movement).

Also, other exploration field skills should have all been available from mandatory Blades, not optional ones. Golden Country did this ok, because it had no gacha elements.

I think if they had done away with the Gacha part of XC2 and instead just made other blades optional recruitable characters that you find during your adventures/exploration that would have been WAYY better.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Every open world game I've ever played just needs better (more fun) ways of traversal.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Animal Crossing: New Horizons -
Crafting multiple items at once, simplifying dialogue tree options for things like flying to other islands and the Town Hall options, multi-select in the pockets menu

Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 -
Apply camos to DLC weapons in zombies, add all DLC weapons to all zombies maps, restart level in zombies, multiplayer pause option in zombies games (finally added in Cold War)

Pokémon Sword/Shield -
Stop disconnecting from online everytime the game is booted and allow for the console to stay online even if the game itself is not being played online, like Let's Go.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem Three Houses

Once I beat the game, make gift and lost item-giving available through the menu/map. It's not fun opening up a map to find out where a character is at and then running around an empty school for the one character who's at the very end of the second floor dormitory. It wasn't fun during my first playthrough either but I could get behind the idea a bit when looking at the narrative. Running around to multiple places on my free days on the weekends shouldn't take 40 minutes especially when I'm on my third playthrough.

Also, let me buy multiple items and gifts so I can avoid
"You've got a good eye."
"You've got a good eye."
"You've got a good eye."
"You've got a good eye."
"You've got a good eye."
"You've got a good eye."
"You've got a good eye."
"You've got a good eye."
"You've got a good eye."
"You've got a good eye."
"You've got a good eye."
"You've got a good eye."
"You've got a good eye."
"You've got a good eye."
"You've got a good eye."
"You've got a good eye."
"You've got a good eye."
"You've got a good eye."
"Come again."

Last edited:

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Probably Super Mario Kart on the SNES. Played Match Races and Battle Mode with friends for years on end.
There are no fixes. That game is perfect.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
Putting the boxes in more obvious places in Crash 4, or even remove those specific hidden ones in tricky and cheapy ways altogether as there's already plenty of boxes in each level

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Souls games need a shared storage space between all characters. I shouldn't have to rely on friends or strangers to transfer items I don't need to other characters.

Kaydigi

Apr 25, 2019
Street Fighter V - Some sort of Character select in Ranked. It's currently set to use your main only and you have to go through a lot of menus just to change it. You should be able to change your character easily in ranked due to matchups etc...

Judgement/Judge Eyes - minI map rotation options. It's currently set as you can't rotate it and there is no option to change it.

BOTW - Faster cooking animations , I stopped playing because it annoys me. If you could cook multiple quantity dishes at once it would be a god send.

Fire Emblem Three Houses- increase text size options

Demon Souls - easy mode , i just don't have the time to memorize a game of that size .

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
Sea of Thieves: Remap Eat food to Pressing Right Stick to simplify combat and other dangerous situations.

Destiny 2: Disable controller vibration to improve aiming performance.

Forza Motorsport 7: Remap clutch to A button, Gear Up to B and Gear Down to X (Xbox controller). Press A and B or A and X to improve both QoL and lap times.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
Completion checklists. Any game where it's going to show a progress of completion percentage, there should be a completion checklist somewhere. Hollow Knight is my example.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Souls games: There's some sort of input buffer issue where if you mash the roll button after getting knocked down, and stop mashing during the standup animation, sometimes you'll immediately roll after getting up even though you've stopped pressing the button.

It's gotten me killed multiple times. I think I've seen it in both Dark Souls 1 and 2. And maybe once in Bloodborne too?

FFXIV has a serious issue with its boss/raid token trade-in system. The tokens themselves are a QoL pity system so that you can still get a drop that you want if a certain equipment piece doesn't actually drop, but the fact that every boss and raid has its own unique token, plus you don't trade them in all at the same NPC, means that the trade-in system itself is an incomprehensible mess where you need to figure out (or look up) what each token does, and who you need to talk to to turn it in. If you haven't kept up with the game, this system can get very confusing.

The other issue is that these tokens eat inventory space like crazy.

Its rolling treadmill of Allagan Tomestones of Fucking Whatever is also quite confusing when you've been away for a few patches.

Final Fantasy X

LET ME SKIP CUTSCENES....AAUAUUUUUUUGGGHHHHH

tumblr_o4xj9euRFk1sjiojbo3_500.gif

YOU, I HATE YOU. YOU TALK SLOW. My incentive to grind in this game was literally so I didn't have to sit through long-ass cutscenes. X-2 makes this even worse by penalizing you on your completion %.
I liked FFX but this moment was definitely a dark spot in my memories of it. The cutscene where this gif is from is like 15-20 minutes long, and it's right before a boss fight.

Guess who wiped in that boss fight several times and had to sit through this cutscene every retry!