pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
I only use the services when I get a coupon. 40% off the food usually offsets the additional fees. It usually ends up being about the same as what I'd pay if I went in myself for pick up, sometimes a bit less, sometimes a bit more. Every once in a while they kick me a 70% off coupon for some reason and I usually order 3 meals at a time there. No way I'd use the services if I didn't get the coupons though.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
These delivery services were priced "okay" before the pandemic, but it shot up so much that I won't use them anymore. I agree that delivery workers should be paid fairly, but there's other ways to do that rather than very high delivery fees. Places offering delivery need to treat a delivery sale like a sale they otherwise would not have gotten, and not as a premium service. All these companies are seeing record profits so I don't want to hear it from them.

Oct 27, 2017
42a.jpg
This. Gig economy bullshit because we can't pay people decent salaried wages with reasonable benefits / pension, don't have enough salaried jobs for productive causes (i.e., remaking the economy to be sustainable through revamping energy production and distribution, electrifying vehicular transit and building HVAC, rebuilding disintegrating infrastructure, building new energy efficient housing, expanding chip making capacity to any meaningful extent, etc.), shut down collective bargaining via unionizing at every turn, and instead overextend the existing workforce within the context of bullshit financialized industries jobs (i.e., propping up speculative financial markets like the stock market, crypto currency, commodity markets [especially oil / fossil fuels], and now the real estate market), funneling hundreds of billions / trillions of dollars that should be paid to the workers to do important problem solving work to an ever shrinking plutocracy that does nothing but fuck around making "deals" all day and playing golf.

hypno

Oct 25, 2017
Don't blame the drivers with regards to fees, DoorDash takes all those and only pays the driver base pay ($3-5 usually $3.50, but base pay also depends on your region) and then the tip from the customer.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
The worst part of it is you are paying considerably more for food of drastically lower quality. Like things go wrong that would never happen in the restaurant. The last two times I ordered a sandwich that was supposed to come with an au jus dip...no dip whatsoever. Maybe you'll get your drink, but maybe you just won't (and try not to complain to the apps about it too much or they'll stop helping you out when you have bigger problems). Maybe the driver is on three apps and the chances of your food arriving in edible condition are slim to none. I once had an order of meatballs from a nice German restaurant which had been cooked so poorly that the lake of grease had been spilling out of the bag, and when I placed it on a table it came out like a wave and literally ruined my couch.

And you pay a premium for this! A *massive* premium. I really try not to do it anymore.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
It is expensive, which is why I don't get food delivered. I just can't justify the cost, and would rather spend the extra time and effort to either cook something, or drive somewhere and pick something up.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
My favorite pizza place in my town stopped using those kinds of services and started delivering on their own. Result was cheaper pizzas than the competition and FREE delivery (to my postal code).

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have DoorDash+ or whatever it's called, which cuts the cost a bit, but yeah. I only do it due to being super lazy. Cutting back on it lately though.

DoorDash pickup is pretty good though.

TangoTango

Oct 30, 2017
I probably order delivery at least 2-3 times a week. Yeah the fees and up charges are ass, but I have no car and most of the restaurants I can walk to I've been to a bunch of times or I don't like them. Also, I go out a lot and I always get the drunkchies at the end of the night and there's no way in hell I'm cooking anything. I do get a lot of 40-50% off codes, so sometimes it's actually cheaper for me to order delivery than to go to the restaurant itself.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I've personally ordered delivery food under 10 times in my life. Never seemed worth the cost. I'd rather cook, go out, or starve usually haha

Oct 25, 2017
I have waaay more money than sense and got on food delivery apps fairly early when local prices where very much worth it.

It's a complete luxury but it's been difficult getting out of "no think, just food" mode in the evening after work.

BimmyLee

Oct 30, 2017
These kind of services are pure luxury, so it's to be expected that they are expensive. A majority of the time I get food delivered is because there's a half off promo or something like that.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
Used Doordash and Uber Eats a few times when the pandemic started, but not since. Every time I've thought about using it the last year and a half or so, I quickly changed my mind after seeing how much it would cost. The fees have gotten out of control.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
If I have a bunch of people over and everyone is splitting it, it's not horrible.
When it's just me, absolutely not.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Maybe someday future generations can get cheap delivery by drones or driverless electrics, but for now, shit's a luxury.

I actually think this will be one of the first uses of commercial drone deliveries.

There's just too much convenience and cost saving in it for both the customer and the corp.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
We stopped using it because it was way more expensive than just picking it up to go, which is understandable. I just didn't feel like wasting the extra money to save a little bit of time.

Several restaurants around here just upcharge the menu items on UberEATS and then stick a bunch of fees on the back of it.

And also, there is just nothing worse than ordering food, it being late and wrong. Because you're just so ready to eat that one specific thing. Ugh. Returning nightmares…

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I've never used any of these services. Living in the suburbs, I can't imagine an instance where it would be worthwhile. Especially at those prices.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apps like Ubereats and DoorDash is how I blew my money as a teen living in suburbia with no car. It's the convenience that really entices people.
Yeah honestly. Lived in the suburbs least year, was 20 minutes to walk to the closest store (which was a corner store, not even a grocery store). So times where I worked super late, or didn't have time to get groceries, I'd basically have to order UberEats.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
it's expensive but it's also hella convenient and I use it too much. thank god chase rewards helps subsidize some of it

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
We got a family. Both the wife and I work full time/stressful jobs. My wife is a teacher and after having to come home with dealing with all the BS a teacher had to deal with, no one is in the mood to cook.

It makes sense for people like us

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
My favorite pizza place in my town stopped using those kinds of services and started delivering on their own. Result was cheaper pizzas than the competition and FREE delivery (to my postal code).
more places need to do this. I think a lot of pizza places have gotten lazy on this issue, and just use doordash/etc. instead of their own drivers now because it's less work for the management. But it results in much higher prices for customers.

CardsFall

Jul 31, 2021
The only one of these I really use is Slice. They don't have drivers or anything it's really just a frontend for online ordering at the pizza shops. Haven't noticed boosted prices either.

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
You pay for the convenience. If I didn't have a car, I'd probably would have never used any of the apps at all. Plus my Chase card subsides the Doordash+ subscribtion. I do get slightly annoyed if some of my restaurants do force you to use a delivery app. All my fast food restaurants close to me are drive-thru only now and I can't order normally as the lobbies are closed and they don't allow walk-ups anymore.

Sandcrawler

Oct 27, 2017
I try to combine credit from my Amex and coupons they email to make it more palatable. It's not terrible ordering for multiple people, but most of the time when I put an order together for myself I can't bring myself to pay $23 for a Wendy's meal.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
It all seems insane to me. Poor financial outcomes, poor health outcomes, poor environmental outcomes for the transport of all this food. Just weird. That said, we love to cook.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Some rich dude on youtube was considering hiring a personal chef full time because he was getting a lot of food delivered and it was costing so much. He figured paying a full time chef to shop and prepare the meals for his family would be a similar cost to delivery.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
If cost is of no concern, then you do you. But having tried out briefly during the pandemic as a delivery driver, prices have changed drastically since the peak and only the gig companies have profited. The drivers are getting less and less money and the customers are paying more for worse service.

If you're a good tipper, its likely your order will be bundled with another order that either has low tip or none. Your food will come late/cold and no one wins except the gig companies.

robox

Nov 10, 2017
i donno how expensive it is, i just assumed it is, given how much labour and logistics are involved.
i'll pick up whatever nearby my damn self

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I can count the number of times I've used these services on one hand, and all at my wife's behest. The charges are ridiculous. I'm not saying the drivers don't deserve it, I just don't value the service enough to pay for it.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
It really is a luxury service OP. And using it once a week most definitely qualifies as 'regularly' IMO.

But yeah, its really only reasonable when you are ordering for a group.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
The only one of these I really use is Slice. They don't have drivers or anything it's really just a frontend for online ordering at the pizza shops. Haven't noticed boosted prices either.
I love Slice. Supposedly, their restaurant fee is a flat $1.00 per order, too, paid for by the customer, so it makes me happy to order from there.

And besides, I very highly prefer getting food delivered from places where the restaurant does the delivery themselves instead of a 3rd party driver. (Especially with things like pizza, which has very special considerations.) Sometimes it's hard to tell on a site like Seamless who's doing the delivery.

Samenamenick

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Manchester, NH
I only really used it when Uber eats gives the 40%+ coupons. But lately they cut off the pickup option for those coupons, so it still ends up more than just picking it up. Even with 40% off! So I even ignore those now.

The one that really get me though, is I ordered pickup (directly, not via 3rd party app) from olive garden a few months ago. The only pickup option is now curbside, so you feel obligated to leave a tip. Fuck that, never again.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I got 3 50% off uses added to my account recently, I have no idea why or what they are from. But even that only offsets fees and tip pretty much as they restrict their 50% off coupons to a certain amount of dollars off

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I only really used it when Uber eats gives the 40%+ coupons. But lately they cut off the pickup option for those coupons, so it still ends up more that just picking it up. Even with 40% off! So I even ignore those now.

The one that really get me though, is I ordered pickup from olive garden a few months ago. The only pickup option is now curbside, so you feel obligated to leave a tip. Fuck that, never again.
I do these still, because it's not THAT much more expensive than getting it in person after their discounts, even with tip.

That said, their max discounts have gotten worse over time. I used to love getting one 50% off max $20 coupon every week, but then they started doing two max $15 off coupons a week. And this week I saw three max $10 off coupons...

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Back in December Grubhub was offering me a free Grubhub+ trial which I thought would last until the end of the month, but it's just kept going and I still have it. And yes I checked and it didn't revert to a paid sub or anything.

So with that I have free delivery, then I only buy from restauarants with promos going and I've managed to never pay more than $18 for an order. Usually under $15 for dinner for 1. Not cheap but pretty much the same or less than I'd be paying for take out near me so like, why not.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Yeah, once you add up all the fees plus tip, the order total basically doubles.

I ordered some Chinese food for me and my wife last night and the grand total was about $60. It would've been $30-ish if we picked it up in person, but it's not worth the hassle. Delivery is expensive, but you can't beat the convenience. That's why we typically spend close to $2000 a month on Uber Eats, DoorDash, Amazon Fresh, Shipt, etc.

chimpychi

Oct 27, 2017
Used to order lots. I've moved to a more "country" area with limited food options. It's helped me stop using these services and I'm glad. I don't even want to calc9how much in fees I've spent.

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
I only use it when I get one of those 20% off coupon that makes the price marginally more expensive than pickup at a restaurant.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't been using it the past few months because of it. That service fee be half the cost of the food. I always tip the driver of course but when everything adds up it's hard to continue using it.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i pay: $5 more

i receive: gets churros delivered to my face without needing to move an inch

MgtODYJ.png

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
service fees vary, some places dont even charge service fees, usually if they have their own delivery drivers

find the places that charge less, eat there more

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Yeah unless I'm ordering a lot of stuff with a bunch of people, I never use these services. I luckily live within 10min of any kind of food I want and I don't ever mind going to pick it up.