• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This student tried to throw his principal to the ground by his neck. That's a criminal act that could have ended with serious injury.

No he wasn't. People are suggesting the sentence is too harsh because he is clearly just a douchebag posing and had no intention of actually doing it.

Dec 16, 2017
While everyone is dismissing that wrapping your arms around someone's neck as a joke, I'd like to point out that the video is edited so we have no idea what was going on before this. Also, I don't want to live in a society where any 18 year old can run up to me and attempt to wrap their arms around my neck as a joke.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Fair enough. But I'm pretty sure most have suggested a variety of punishments that could have been used.

Anyway, what's this gonna accomplish? Another criminal straight out of prison back on the street soon. Only way more angry at the world and way more likely just go right back. Sure ain't making society safer.

(If prison was actually about reform instead of just machines that create more recidivism I might agree with prison. Don't live in a perfect society though.)

Yeah man we should...
*checks papers*
Throw kids in prison so they become even more hardened criminals. That's a much better solution.

Edit: Formatting
I didn't say put them in prison, but the whole "it's just a kid whatyougonnado" is sickening.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He doesn't even do anything, detention maximum, in fact I could see the teacher even just laughing it off and using it as a bonding moment.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
My guess is the Principal was embarrassed because kid were laughing. I could have talked this down to a three day suspension, talked with the student body about playing games like that and the consequences that could come from it, and then moved on. I think the arrest was a bit much.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
The headline is hilarious, and the punishment seemed okay at first. Then I saw the actual video and, uh, nah. He should have been suspended at the most. There was no intent to actually follow through there, it was just a dumbass posing.

Lys Skygge

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I feel that arresting him was a bit overkill. The kid didn't look like he was actually committed to following through with the move. A few detentions or a few days suspension would have been more than enough.

Sowrong

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Man the end to that video. The student definitely didn't have a cool relation with the principal. To put your hands unexpectedly around anyone who isn't cool with you is a complete no-no.

Oct 27, 2017
While everyone is dismissing that wrapping your arms around someone's neck as a joke, I'd like to point out that the video is edited so we have no idea what was going on before this. Also, I don't want to live in a society where any 18 year old can run up to me and attempt to wrap their arms around my neck as a joke.
Pretty much this. Don't know why people are defending the kid and some are assuming he wouldn't have dropped his full weight on that guy's neck. Imagine being at your place of work and teenagers trying this shit on you.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
This is about disrespect of an authority figure. The kid deserves everything he gets. It will teach him a lesson. All of you softies saying this is overkill are part of the problem.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I feel that arresting him was a bit overkill. The kid didn't look like he was actually committed to following through with the move. A few detentions or a few days suspension would have been more than enough.
You get detention for cutting class and suspension for fighting another student.

You usually get idk....expelled for attacking a teacher / principle. At least when I was in school

MrLuchador

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
I mean as someone who works in education, the thought of setting up a student with a criminal record at the age of 18 strikes me as odd. I work with kids who have been excluded from mainstream school, so seeing this kind of thing isn't odd behaviour at all. None of them mean any harm, and you know that as you know the kid. Deal with it in school, remind them about expectations and consequences and using the established school reward/consequence system to manage it appropriately.

Principle has fucked that kid's life up now. Good job, teacher.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
In high school i saw a fight where a dude tried to stone cold stunner the other dude. With the kick and everything. Thankifully it was sloppy or the guy could have been killed

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
If he'd actually come close to landing the RKO I'd probably be fine with the charges but 1. He was nowhere near to landing that move. 2. The principal countered into a headlock and then hit the kid.
Just expel the kid and be done.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Uhh...that's kinda one of those moves where the RKOee has to cooperate in order to pull it off.

....Shoulda gone for the Rock Bottom.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
This is about disrespect of an authority figure. The kid deserves everything he gets. It will teach him a lesson. All of you softies saying this is overkill are part of the problem.
Softies for proposing a lighter punishment? Wouldn't the "softie" in this case be the principal who can't take a joke?

Also lol at believing that "respect for authority" is a core virtue in 2019.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I mean as someone who works in education, the thought of setting up a student with a criminal record at the age of 18 strikes me as odd. I work with kids who have been excluded from mainstream school, so seeing this kind of thing isn't odd behaviour at all. None of them mean any harm, and you know that as you know the kid. Deal with it in school, remind them about expectations and consequences and using the established school reward/consequence system to manage it appropriately.

Principle has fucked that kid's life up now. Good job, teacher.
Florida has a pretrial intervention program, and hopefully this kid applies for it. It'll wipe this off his record completely after he completes the program.
It's called discipline. You don't put your hands on authority figures. You wouldn't do it to your boss and if you did, you'd have no grounds for complaint if he/she stuck an assault charge on you.
There are plenty of options for discipline. In my professional opinion, arresting the kid wasn't needed in order to correct this problem.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I don't care, anyone in agreement with the principle's decision to press charges are straight up idiots. The hard on some of you get over this shit is unreal.

Fucking criminal record of this? Dickheads

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
It's called discipline. You don't put your hands on authority figures. You wouldn't do it to your boss and if you did, you'd have no grounds for complaint if he/she stuck an assault charge on you.
Interesting that you equate school authority with boss.
Teaching them that they're slaves while they're still young eh?

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
If the kid had any real intent, he's a moron for even thinking of trying such a thing. If he was joking, he's a moron for trying it on someone he clearly did not have the appropriate relationship with to make it a fun bonding moment.

Either way the kid is dumb.

People are not allowed to randomly go up to others and threaten bodily harm. His punishment should be sufficient to make him understand that, with the flex point being whether it can be established there was true intent.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
The kid was an idiot. He deserved discipline, as did whoever recorded it, seeing as they apparently planned it out.

I would not have called the police, though, unless he actually took him to the ground with that move.

In this case, I would have just suspended them the rest of the year and made them repeat whatever grade they were in.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You run up to someone and put your arms around their neck, you get what's coming to you. No sympathy for an adult (yes, an 18 year old is an adult) who assaulted another, because they thought it would be a laugh. Teachers have it hard enough without dipshits thinking physical assault is OK on anybody, teacher or otherwise.

this_guy

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like the kid tried to record the principal at the end and saying "You won't put your hands on me now that I'm recording you." If the principal didn't press charges the kid or his parents would probably try to get charges thrown at the principal for the headlock.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
The young man, he is 18, put his hands on another person without consent. Damn right he deserves expelling or detention. The kid thought it was all fun and games until the principal put hands on him in defense. Then kid went record and this "man is assaulting me mode!" You know what happens to school employee when parents claim there precious boy was unjustly treated- the employee get fired and loses their livelihood. Some joke.

That is why the cops were called, the kid escalated this prank to a possible pay day and conviction of the principle. Putting a teacher/principal in the spot they may lose their job is no joke.