• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Superman00

Jan 9, 2018
Well yeah, it's up, but it's not corresponding to the rise in positive cases. Florida was breaking records in early June and trend line of hospitalizations has been pretty stable.

The raw numbers are going to ebb and flow, that's why you look at the 7-day trend. The hospitalization 7-day trend is where it was back in April. Meanwhile, the number of positive cases trend is at an all-time high.

Florida hospital data is very convoluted for a reason, they are actively trying to paint a completely different picture than what is happening.

Cumulative COVID patients that were hospitalized on June 11: 11571
Cumulative COVID patients that were hospitalized on June 23: 13318

That's an increased of 1747 in 12 days.

Majority of the new cases have been in the last 8 days or so. So hospitalization won't be fully noticeable. The last 8 days have added more cases than the 3 weeks before that combined.

May 25-June 1 New Cases: 5084
June 2-8 New Cases: 8074
June 9-15 New Cases: 12422
June 16-23 New Cases: 26177

Last edited:

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
If they don't take some serious steps before the 4th of July this thing is going to get so much worse.

I think the thing people don't understand is that that many cases out there with fairly limited testing means there are tons of other people out there spreading it to others.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
First, what are you trying to look at? Are you trying to find the excess for all deaths? As I stated, there may not be excess deaths as the deaths relating to COVID may be offset by other deaths like accidents as people were driving way less.

Second, the number that are used are not up to date. I already took a look at this last week. It's off by a lot. Here is an example for Florida:

(Deaths involving Pneumonia, Influenza, or COVID) - (All COVID Deaths) = Flu and Pneumonia deaths only = 8315 - 2723 = 5592
(2020 Flu/Pneumonia deaths) - (2018 Flu/Pneumonia Jan-June deaths) = 5592 - 1902 = 3690
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

The data for the excess deaths for Flu/Pnuemonia from week 1-20 for Florida only total up to 1637. That's a huge difference. If you're trying to look at all death and compare it to previous year average, you won't find any for Florida, they are currently only at 99% of expected death.
https://data.cdc.gov/api/views/u6jv-9ijr/rows.csv?accessType=DOWNLOAD&bom=true&format=true target=
I don't see why you have to look at the cause of the deaths? What we can see is that the excess death was exceptionnaly very high while the big epidemic in NY and the same is now visible in Florida. It's simply highlighting what the effect of such a new big epidemic is.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
in contrast, our country of 90M which is still on its first wave, had 600 new cases today, and we are doing masks

damn

Superman00

Jan 9, 2018
I don't see why you have to look at the cause of the deaths? What we can see is that the excess death was exceptionnaly very high while the big epidemic in NY and the same is now visible in Florida. It's simply highlighting what the effect of such a new big epidemic is.

Because the COVID deaths are misclassified and being downplayed. They are incomplete and lagging way behind current numbers. What if the excess deaths are actually lower than average? The number 1 misclassification is pneumonia for COVID deaths.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
I think the next update should just say: "Everyone in Florida has coronavirus" :-/

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
Because the COVID deaths are misclassified and being downplayed. They are incomplete and lagging way behind current numbers. What if the excess deaths are actually lower than average? The number 1 misclassification is pneumonia for COVID deaths.
But deaths caused by pneumonia are still counted in the data I posted. I don't think that the CDC can alter the data in that regard.

Shokunin

Oct 25, 2017
The city beautiful

Superman00

Jan 9, 2018
But deaths caused by pneumonia are still counted in the data I posted. I don't think that the CDC can alter the data in that regard.

Maybe down the line it will be a good tool, but currently it doesn't provide an accurate picture for a bunch of the states, especially Florida. For Flu/Pneumonia, they have 178 deaths total above avg. in Florida. Is that even close to an accurate picture of what we currently have data to?

Shokunin

Oct 25, 2017
The city beautiful
AbleDeadlyBasenji-size_restricted.gif

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Florida hospital data is very convoluted for a reason, they are actively trying to paint a completely different picture than what is happening.

Cumulative COVID patients that were hospitalized on June 11: 11571
Cumulative COVID patients that were hospitalized on June 23: 13318

That's an increased of 1747 in 12 days.

Majority of the new cases have been in the last 8 days or so. So hospitalization won't be fully noticeable. The last 8 days have added more cases than the 3 weeks before that combined.

May 25-June 1 New Cases: 5084
June 2-8 New Cases: 8074
June 9-15 New Cases: 12422
June 16-23 New Cases: 26177

I guess maybe the numbers are borked. I'm reading this article where Miami's hospitalizations are at an all-time high

amp.miamiherald.com

Florida reports a new single-day record of more than 5,500 coronavirus cases

Florida’s Department of Health on Wednesday confirmed 5,508 additional cases of COVID-19, setting another daily total record high since the start of the pandemic. The state now has a total of 109,014 confirmed cases.

Also, the cumulative total of positive cases is now 6.3%. It was around 5% for the last month, IIRC.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
Florida Reported around 200 or so Covid deaths the week ending June 6 but CDC data shows Florida was up 28-35% from historical averages which is roughly 1150-1300 additional deaths. That's the latest week available but it seems to be Florida is substantially undercounting

Looking at the excess death in Florida says otherwise.
capture2s7j6q.png

I think the US had a huge problem in New York and New Jersey only. You can see how it affected the whole country.
capture1vkjg3.png

Excess Deaths Associated with COVID-19

Figures present excess deaths associated with COVID-19 at the national and state levels.

That's a lot more than the official Covid figures.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017

And there it is. Definitely done with Florida in mind given the pipeline to the northeast.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
That's a lot more than the official Covid figures.

yes and if you look at the weeks in May it started to slowly pickup so once CDC updates for the 2nd week in June I'd expect the same if not worse.

edit: also those numbers might increase as CDC even states there is a 6+ week delay in some reporting so pretty much anything with the + on it is incomplete data

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe down the line it will be a good tool, but currently it doesn't provide an accurate picture for a bunch of the states, especially Florida. For Flu/Pneumonia, they have 178 deaths total above avg. in Florida. Is that even close to an accurate picture of what we currently have data to?
Okay, I think I got your point. I was aware of it that the data isn't perfectly up to date. However, it still shows how the pandemic is hitting Florida pretty hard right now.

Zombegoast

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
DeSantis doing damage control by finally increasing Teacher's wages.

While the minimum wage is $8.56 and the fact that millions have been out of work for months and not received their check.