Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Judging from comments seen in Twitter threads Matt Gaetz was public enough to bring her to political functions, so I doubt that.
well that's a small relief at least. that've been extra too much.

anyway, gaetz brought this shit on himself for trying to not seem like a racist toolbag. so he deserves all of this shit out in the open. fuck him

Staff Post

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
We're seeing a number of posts in here that are close to or have crossed the line into homophobia or conspiracy theorizing. While we understand that this is a weird situation and that Matt Gaetz is a contemptible human being, posts that cross that line will still be actioned.

Oct 25, 2017
Judging from comments seen in Twitter threads Matt Gaetz was public enough to bring her to political functions, so I doubt that.

When was that? The story is very odd.

I'm trying to piece together the timeline in my head because it doesn't seem to make sense. The stories say Nestor came to the US at the age of 12. When did his mom die? When did he and his sister move in with Gaetz. How long did the kid actually live with him for? It's pretty gross he is being used as a political prop.

Last edited:

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
When was that? The story is very odd.
I thought it might've been posted here but I guess not. I can't find the tweet but I did find the referenced article here: https://www.gq.com/story/matt-gaetz-trumpiest-congressman-in-washington

It, uh, doesn't look great still, but yeah.

Gaetz is tall, clean-cut, and sturdy—he's conscious of his weight—with chestnut hair and deep-set eyes, his face vaguely evocative of a bulldog or a pug. He's not married, a rarity for a politician and a fact that gets remarked upon now and then. He told me a story about that. Once, at a party at the Florida governor's mansion, he introduced his date to Governor Rick Scott. "Why aren't you married yet?" Scott teased him. "Well, Governor, Gaetz shot back, 'You vetoed alimony reform.' "

When I asked Gaetz what his date had thought of his alimony zinger, he said, "I don't think she knew what alimony was." Then he said, "She's this Cuban girl." Then he did an impression of her asking him, " 'What is thees alimony?' "

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Nestor replied to the original Tweet saying something about how glad he was to have Gaetz as a mentor which definitely is not a word you use for a father figure.

Gaetz sucks but I really don't think this was a grooming relationship or anything, and Gaetz was careful to not use the word adoption. From what's been pieced together it seems like more of an informal older brother relationship where Gaetz took his girlfriend's kid brother under his wing. Gaetz keeping this relationship hidden and only unveiling it for what he thought was political dunk points is super disgusting, no doubt about it though.

Bizarre story regardless.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nestor replied to the original Tweet saying something about how glad he was to have Gaetz as a mentor which definitely is not a word you use for a father figure.

Gaetz sucks but I really don't think this was a grooming relationship or anything, and Gaetz was careful to not use the word adoption. From what's been pieced together it seems like more of an informal older brother relationship where Gaetz took his girlfriend's kid brother under his wing. Gaetz keeping this relationship hidden and only unveiling it for what he thought was political dunk points is super disgusting, no doubt about it though.

Bizarre story regardless.
"You don't know what it's like to be black."
"How dare you assume that we don't have black kids!"
"Um, even if you had a black child, you yourself have never experienced being black."
"Well, I do have a non-white child!"
"You have a black son?"
"We're not related by blood. Also, I never legally adopted him. Also, he's Cuban and has living parents and possibly is the younger brother of a girl I dated. But it's totally the same thing as being black in America! IN YOUR FACE! ALL LIVES MATTER!"

That's how this whole nonsense has gone...

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
like if it's a mentoring relationship, or a uncle-nephew sort of thing, cool. But he made this whole thing weird, and now people are just waiting for a shoe to drop.

If there is something afoot, I hope it is revealed, otherwise, I hope the kid doesn't get used as a prop or a political point ever again.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
"Um, even if you had a black child, you yourself have never experienced being black."
"You have a black son?"
"We're not related by blood. Also, I never legally adopted him. Also, he's Cuban and has living parents and possibly is the younger brother of a girl I dated. But it's totally the same thing as being black in America! IN YOUR FACE! ALL LIVES MATTER!"

It has been a rollercoaster ride since Gaetz tweeted. I'm glad we got a new meme out of it.

Viriditas

Oct 25, 2017
United States
giphy.gif

The Truman Show House makes it a whole other level of weirdity that it makes you feel like the alien gods are just fucking with the simulation we are in for kicks. The Truman Show was itself about a fake reality. As above, so below.

Sometimes I like to think of it more like a Kobayashi Maru-type deal -- a harrowing simulation that tests one's character in a no-win scenario where no one makes it out alive.

But like, jfc. I had just enjoyed some Bio Jesus when I read the OP and the whole thing threw me for a helluva loop akin to The Albatross ' experience. I felt like I had witnessed our cursed pocket dimension spaghettify itself forever around and inexorably into the singularity of its own asshole.

I'm functioning in my daily life like an approximation of a person but at this point my inner monologue is an eternal Laura Palmer scream suppurating from the inchoate abyss where all my emotional availability used to be.

tumblr_ovsnd7Jifn1qm1oc0o1_1280.gif

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Sometimes I like to think of it more like a Kobayashi Maru-type deal -- a harrowing simulation that tests one's character in a no-win scenario where no one makes it out alive.

But like, jfc. I had just enjoyed some Bio Jesus when I read the OP and the whole thing threw me for a helluva loop akin to The Albatross ' experience. I felt like I had witnessed our cursed pocket dimension spaghettify itself forever around and inexorably into the singularity of its own asshole.

I'm functioning in my daily life like an approximation of a person but at this point my inner monologue is an eternal Laura Palmer scream suppurating from the inchoate abyss where all my emotional availability used to be.

tumblr_ovsnd7Jifn1qm1oc0o1_1280.gif

Lol cursed pocket dimension spaghetti

Exactly.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Another relevant topic - why is Nestor okay being a prop for Matt Gaetz?

Likely because Nestor is a poor American who is very much on the fringes of society, close to falling through the cracks in America and this giant monolith -- a congressman and a friend of your family from a broken home -- is offering to take you under his wing and help you.

Even if there's nothing weird between gaetz and Nestor, that in itself is just exploitative and bizarre.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Didn't a liberal journalist who said she disagrees with him on just about every issue say he talks about him all the time?

And didn't he almost accidentally slip and call him his son in an interview posted on page 1? This is gross, as he seems ashamed of him, or certainly doesn't want the world to know about him, but I dunno.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't a liberal journalist who said she disagrees with him on just about every issue say he talks about him all the time?

And didn't he almost accidentally slip and call him his son in an interview posted on page 1? This is gross, as he seems ashamed of him, or certainly doesn't want the world to know about him, but I dunno.

Wasn't a liberal journalist but a previous California Democratic Representative Katie Hill.

I'm of the opinion he probably loves and cares for Nestor, but the whole way he's gone about this especially to reveal him at this time when it's not even relevant to the political issues he's arguing are completely weird and gross.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Wasn't a liberal journalist but a previous California Democratic Representative Katie Hill.

I'm of the opinion he probably loves and cares for Nestor, but the whole way he's gone about this especially to reveal him at this time when it's not even relevant to the political issues he's arguing are completely weird and gross.

Oh doh, not sure why I thought it was a writer.

Matt Gates sucks. And this was a tactic pure and simple. But the conspiracy theories aren't great.

Sep 14, 2019
Oh doh, not sure why I thought it was a writer.

Matt Gates sucks. And this was a tactic pure and simple. But the conspiracy theories aren't great.

I'm really surprised people here jumped to those conclusions.

Gaetz is an asshole, but even assholes bond with people.

He probably thought he could shape Nestor as his "mini-me." "You remind me of when I was your age," or something like that.

I don't know, but the way he came about it was shitty.

Basically he's his son when it's convenient.

Or the conspiracy theories could be true. This is a weird timeline, so 🤷🏽‍♂️

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
it just has to be divorced from the original circumstances of gaetz bringing him up because it's 100% irrelevant to the discussion about black children and is clearly gross that he's trotting out this man nestor as some sort of proof of his worldliness

all that's left is a big line full of question marks

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Do we even have any comments from Nestor to begin with? That'd certainly clear some stuff up...

Gonna say that based on the skimming of the thread/linked tweets I've done so far, I'm leaning much more towards "kept him around because it'd be good for this inevitable gotcha moment" rather than grooming. Don't want to lean into any "all homophobes are actually just self-hating gay people" shit when there's seemingly nothing to point to that here (at least so far). Feels much more likely that he just knew he'd get this benefit out of having him around.

So your saying he kept this kid around for 6 years just in case he became a Rep and needed to play the "I know what it's like to raise a minority card" one day?

If that were true, wouldnt he have a backstory ready that isn't torn apart by previous social media posts.

At best he hastily decided to use his mentee in a disgusting, racist political stunt.

Last edited:

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't know about you, guys, but I'm sure adoption agencies think single men who are unmarried with a DUI record are GOOD prospects. And then, keep a child, who probably barely speaks English, hidden from the world for 7 years and the few times he was shown, there was nothing showing that their bond was familial.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
I don't know about you, guys, but I'm sure adoption agencies think single men who are unmarried with a DUI record are GOOD prospects. And then, keep a child, who probably barely speaks English, hidden from the world for 7 years and the few times he was shown, there was nothing showing that their bond was familial.

This part is almost certainly not true. Young people learn languages very quickly. I grew up in Miami and I'm Cuban, and I went to school with many people who were fresh off the boat (literally) from Cuba and other Latin American countries who were then were fluently gabbing in English in a couple of months. If this young man is now 18 or 19, went to school, and worked as a congressional page, I'm 100% positive that his English is perfect.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
"You have a black son?"

Yep, this entire thing is like HUH? WHAT THE... WHY!?!?

And then you think about all the times they were previously photographed together or near each other or on video together and it seemed Matt Gaetz was going out of his way to call Nester "a local student" "his helper" just a "congressional page". And the word WEIRD just seems like the best way to describe this whole thing.

Democrat Katie Hill claims Matt Gaetz's relationship with Nester is genuine and he talked about him all the time. But it just feels like he might have previously been ashamed of the public knowing about it, but then decides to unveil the relationship in one of the weirdest ways when he thought he could use it to score political points.

Last edited:

16bits

Banned
Apr 26, 2019

barely speaks English? Where do you get that from?

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This part is almost certainly not true. Young people learn languages very quickly. I grew up in Miami and I'm Cuban, and I went to school with many people who were fresh off the boat (literally) from Cuba and other Latin American countries who were then were fluently gabbing in English in a couple of months. If this young man is now 18 or 19, went to school, and worked as a congressional page, I'm 100% positive that his English is perfect.
barely speaks English? Where do you get that from?

Meant to say "Probably barely spoke English when he arrived to the States"

I'm sure he can speak it now. lol

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Imagine being 12 and having this guy be your father figure/older brother figure/mentor figure. The guy is an absolute ass so I'd hate to think of how he's influenced him

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The most benign interpretation of this story is that a 30-year-old single guy adopted a 12 year old kid. Which I feel like still isn't great? Not that single people can't adopt but maybe they should be a little older at least? Idk.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017

Nah, it's totally cool and totally normal for a 31 year old single drunk to house and care for a non-English speaking immigrant minor for supposedly a number of years, with zero paperwork or oversight, and over the minor's own family living in the same state.

Only way this story makes sense is if Gaetz is now drastically overestimating his relationship and time spent with his "son" through the years to score political points today.

The most benign interpretation of this story is that a 30-year-old single guy adopted a 12 year old kid. Which I feel like still isn't great? Not that single people can't adopt but maybe they should be a little older at least? Idk.

Well, it's not just the age and domestic situation, but also that Gaetz had a record. His connections helped him so that it didn't stick, but there's still a lot of public record violations including a DUI, which should be a mark against him holding guardianship over any kid, especially foreign born ones.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
So your saying he kept this kid around for 6 years just in case he became a Rep and needed to play the "I know what it's like to raise a minority card" one day?

If that were true, wouldnt he have a backstory ready that isn't torn apart by previous social media posts.

At best he hastily decided to use his mentee in a disgusting, racist political stunt.

Someone earlier in the thread was saying that he was living with his other family members for a decent portion of the time, then only moved back with Gaetz recently. Was that not correct? That's the context I had in mind.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
He lived with his real Dad in Miami until he was 18.

This whole thing is suuuuuuuper weird.
that's probably the weirdest. the whole thing was made to look like matty gaetz had taken in a young cuban orphan and was raising him as a son. Then it was his girlfriend's brother who he considered a son. Now it's some former pageboy who's parents were both in America and is now 18 and hanging out for some reason with Congressman Gaetz.

It's just fucking weird. I didn't want to know. I never wanted to knew. But now that he brought the shit out, it should be cleared up.