• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
So what would be an interesting to explore? I'm guessing just to eventually go lower weight and more reps? Or should I explore something like calisthenics a bit more?
If you want to develop some skills do calisthenics/gymnastics. It'll develop a lot of the little muscles and nerve connections, all the connectivity between your body parts (like extended glutes alongside flexed abs and protracted scapula), and flexibility will improve, and it puts a lot of tension on tendons and ligaments so they become a lot stronger (but that'll take years of consistency). If you want to do backflips and handstands, this is for you.

Strength work in the gym is low rep, but not lower weight. It'll do little hypertrophy but still provide you the opportunity to lift heavy stuff. A lot of the improvements is in the nervous system, making all the muscle contract forcefully. You could also look into power (strength/speed) like olympic lifts which will give you big benefits to overall max load.

Rikalaus

Oct 30, 2017
Have a bit of a new goal that i wasn't really expecting this year but could very much be a possibility, a100kgs / 220lbs push press, hit a new PR of 95kgs / 209lbs this morning quite comfortably

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I've been out of the gym for like 6 months, and I'm really surprised at how little mass + strength I've lost. I really thought it would degrade faster than it has now that I'm back.

LetsEatSnacks

Oct 18, 2020
United States
I'm someone who tried creatine in the past and didn't really have much luck. I tried to take it "properly" but kind of curious if people's ideas about it have changed much in 10 years (when I last tried to take it). I bought a jar of micronized creatine this week and curious if "loading" is worth it, etc.

Any tips are appreciated!

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm someone who tried creatine in the past and didn't really have much luck. I tried to take it "properly" but kind of curious if people's ideas about it have changed much in 10 years (when I last tried to take it). I bought a jar of micronized creatine this week and curious if "loading" is worth it, etc.

Any tips are appreciated!
Loading simply shortens the time needed to reach optimal creatine saturation in your system if you are below. It is not necessary, you'll get there in a few weeks taking it properly too - which is just take 5g daily. Do a loading phase if you wish, and it doesn't give you any unpleasant tummy troubles.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
FitnessEra, is there consensus on how effective AI routine planning applications are or if they are worth using/paying for? For instance a service like FitBod that builds a routine and plan based around equipment you tell it is available to you. I'm not really an avid exerciser or knowledgeable about fitness so I can't really give meaningful advice to someone who asked me.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
FitnessEra, is there consensus on how effective AI routine planning applications are or if they are worth using/paying for? For instance a service like FitBod that builds a routine and plan based around equipment you tell it is available to you. I'm not really an avid exerciser or knowledgeable about fitness so I can't really give meaningful advice to someone who asked me.

It depends, if this type of service is appealing to you and makes things easier and you'd rather spend the money than deal with the hassle of figuring it out yourself then go for it.

What are your goals? If you want to be a competitive powerlifter for example then things like specific equipment and programming are crucial, if you're just trying to get stronger, leaner, and healthier then you can just focus on basic movement patterns (for example a pressing motion can be done with your body weight, a barbell, dumb bells, machines, or bands) the equipment doesn't really matter and you can just pick whichever you want.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I'm not familiar with the service. For gen pop, it seems entirely feasible to custom create something with that info very easily. Whether that's worth paying for rather than just using an existing beginner program like Strong Lifts or whatever, is up to you.

I mean the basics aren't that hard. Generally, if going for strength, sets of 5. If hypertrophy, 8-15. Focus on compounds. 10-20 working sets per muscle group per week in 2-3 sessions. Most muscle groups only do one or two things, so it's not hard to pick reasonable choices based on available equipment. Then progressive overload.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Two more weeks until I can sign up at the new gym… ugh it's only an hour but feels like a weird part of routine is missing and triggering the heck out of my desire to do something lol. Luckily my walk to work now after moving is 1 hour total. So that's basically my cardio day done each day up from one a week that I was doing.

Definitely lost a lot of size on my upper body namely arms and chest but my legs look better which is nice since I have a lot of natural swelling in my legs since birth.

Wish I didn't spend so much money after moving so I could sign up sooner but I wanted that big ass couch dammit (and I'm still too tall to stretch out on it -sigh-)

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
It depends, if this type of service is appealing to you and makes things easier and you'd rather spend the money than deal with the hassle of figuring it out yourself then go for it.

What are your goals? If you want to be a competitive powerlifter for example then things like specific equipment and programming are crucial, if you're just trying to get stronger, leaner, and healthier then you can just focus on basic movement patterns (for example a pressing motion can be done with your body weight, a barbell, dumb bells, machines, or bands) the equipment doesn't really matter and you can just pick whichever you want.

I'm not familiar with the service. For gen pop, it seems entirely feasible to custom create something with that info very easily. Whether that's worth paying for rather than just using an existing beginner program like Strong Lifts or whatever, is up to you.

I mean the basics aren't that hard. Generally, if going for strength, sets of 5. If hypertrophy, 8-15. Focus on compounds. 10-20 working sets per muscle group per week in 2-3 sessions. Most muscle groups only do one or two things, so it's not hard to pick reasonable choices based on available equipment. Then progressive overload.
Thanks for the replies. I'll pass these along.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
I'm somewhat unsure whether I should continue losing weight before starting to gain mass.

My stats: 37 years old, male, 176 cm, 68 kg.

In the long term, my goal is to achieve a "beach body," but I'm not in a hurry. Short term, I want to eliminate belly fat.

I was completely sedentary from the age of 20 until 10 months ago and have lost 37 kg so far. I was overweight with very little muscle mass. I think I need to lose at least 5 more kg to achieve my short-term goals, but I'm also worried about becoming too skinny, especially since my stomach is already a bit flabby. What do you guys think?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I'm somewhat unsure whether I should continue losing weight before starting to gain mass.

In the long term, my goal is to achieve a "beach body," but I'm not in a hurry. Short term, I want to eliminate belly fat.

I was completely sedentary from the age of 20 until 10 months ago and have lost 37 kg so far. I was overweight with very little muscle mass. I think I need to lose at least 5 more kg to achieve my short-term goals, but I'm also worried about becoming too skinny, especially since my stomach is already a bit flabby. What do you guys think?
That's an outstanding weight loss, well done.

Honestly, it's impossible for anyone to say what's best based on numbers like that. Your BMI is 22, which isn't a very useful indicator for an individual, but that's in the normal range. You could continue losing, but I wonder if appearing skinny fat may be a possibility.

At the end of the day it's your call. There's no reason you can't do whatever you want for a three or six month cycle then reassess, e.g. you could maingain from here for a few months and decide how you feel after that, whether a cut is needed then or whatever. By maingain I mean gain weight slowly while keeping your body fat % the same or dropping. So a small, very small, calorie surplus above maintenance (up to 200 calories, to gain close to 0.5 pounds per week), lift hard frequently, progressive overload, up to 0.8g per pound protein. In other words, focus on muscle gain without gaining body fat.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017

With these "stats" you're probably in firm "can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time" territory. Put yourself in a slight deficit and start lifting weights moderately (no crazy volume!). You're gonna progress pretty easily and even though you won't put on huge slabs of muscle right away you're gonna prime yourself for when you increase calories and the fun part starts :)

P.S. You sure that flabby part is fat and not just skin? I've seen that problem with people who have been overweight for a long time.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
That's an outstanding weight loss, well done.

Honestly, it's impossible for anyone to say what's best based on numbers like that. Your BMI is 22, which isn't a very useful indicator for an individual, but that's in the normal range. You could continue losing, but I wonder if appearing skinny fat may be a possibility.

At the end of the day it's your call. There's no reason you can't do whatever you want for a three or six month cycle then reassess, e.g. you could maingain from here for a few months and decide how you feel after that, whether a cut is needed then or whatever. By maingain I mean gain weight slowly while keeping your body fat % the same or dropping. So a small, very small, calorie surplus above maintenance (up to 200 calories, to gain close to 0.5 pounds per week), lift hard frequently, progressive overload, up to 0.8g per pound protein. In other words, focus on muscle gain without gaining body fat.

With these "stats" you're probably in firm "can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time" territory. Put yourself in a slight deficit and start lifting weights moderately (no crazy volume!). You're gonna progress pretty easily and even though you won't put on huge slabs of muscle right away you're gonna prime yourself for when you increase calories and the fun part starts :)

P.S. You sure that flabby part is fat and not just skin? I've seen that problem with people who have been overweight for a long time.

I'm not 100% sure about my BF. I had my measures taken in my gym and it was 13.6%, but I don't look a lot bellow 20% on those charts like the one posted on the other page.

I'm already lifting heavy on the gym, so I guess I will continue the calorie deficit for a couple of months and see how I will look. At any rate, getting some fat later will be much easier if I really need to lmao.

By the way, this is me this sunday. Slightly NSFW (at a waterfall wearing trunks)
r2oEyZB.jpeg

KKbjbdV.jpeg

2Cr4g1m.jpeg

This is me one year ago:
DaPQtuc.jpeg

Zgz5rZA.jpeg

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I'm not 100% sure about my BF. I had my measures taken in my gym and it was 13.6%, but I don't look a lot bellow 20% on those charts like the one posted on the other page.

I'm already lifting heavy on the gym, so I guess I will continue the calorie deficit for a couple of months and see how I will look. At any rate, getting some fat later will be much easier if I really need to lmao.

By the way, this is me this sunday. Slightly NSFW (at a waterfall wearing trunks)
r2oEyZB.jpeg

KKbjbdV.jpeg

2Cr4g1m.jpeg

This is me one year ago:
DaPQtuc.jpeg

Zgz5rZA.jpeg
WOW what a crazy transformation! Excellent work! I'm still working my way there one day at a time.