Red

Oct 26, 2017
I am in awe of Galaxy. It's one of those things that, every time I experience it I think to myself I will never in my life produce anything this good.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Is Galaxy playable with a standard controller or do you really need a Wiimote/Joy-cons?
It's playable on all three of the Switch's control methods to varying degrees. Portable mode is the worst because you have to take one of your hands off the sides to touch the screen a lot. The pro-controller is alright but the motion controls are clearly designed for you to move the cursor with a flick of the wrist so it's cumbersome when holding it with two hands. The detached joy-cons perfectly emulate the wiimote though which is what the game is designed around.

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
Playing it now as part of 3D All Stars, my first reaction was "oh wow Mario feels so much worse to control than Sunshine. I hate not having control over the camera, too."

60 stars in, I still feel that way. And the level design is good enough to make up for that fact. It's a tour de force for platforming creativity and invention. The last star I got as the second on Melty Molten Galaxy, which finishes by combining ideas from three different galaxies I'd previously visited: the rolling star ball from Rolling Green galaxy, the lava tiles from FreezeFlame Galaxy, and the sliding cookie cutter from Sweet Sweet Galaxy. It's brilliant.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It kinda makes me happy that despite the fact that we disagree on a lot of things, and y'all disagree with me in particular on almost everything...

At least we're all in agreement about how good Galaxy 1 and 2 are.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I was excited when this game came out, but I admittedly didn't quite know what to expect.

I beat the game in two sittings on release day. I totally lost track of time on the second sitting and was up way past when I'd normally go to sleep without realizing it.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
It's a spectacular game! Glad you enjoy it! I'm obviously in the minority, but I prefer Galaxy 1 over 2, but I think it might just be due to the novelty of Galaxy. Without a doubt 2 improved on several aspects of 1.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Kinda offtopic, but I still dont get why 64 is THAT beloved. Same for Mario Bros 3.

Like they are good, but they aren't Galaxy good.
So, I missed out on Mario 64 even though I was 8 years old when it came out. Played some at friends' houses but that's it. Now I'm truly playing it for the first time and have 60 stars. It's fun, and I keep coming back for more, but the controls and camera have not held up all that well. I know there are mods to fix that, but such is true for many games that haven't held up. I still think SMW is peak 90's era Mario. Still need to play Galaxy and I think I'll just skip Sunshine

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
The 3D collection is kinda funny in that way. You hear complaints like "64 is outdated" (it totally is, could not manage to continue playing after just 15 stars) and Sunshine is well, Sunshine.

And then there's Galaxy which is still indisputably a masterpiece and no one dares contend that.
You should check the 3D all stars thread, some people recently saying Galaxy is "all style no substance" and one guy even said "it should be prescribed as a sleep aid"

sugar bear

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing it all week, so good. I loved the Wii version back in the day, but the motion controls were rough on me - my right shoulder got so cramped after a weekend session I was hurting for weeks. So much better docked with the Pro Controller.

30-some stars in, lots of new territory I missed first time around.

Rockodile

Dec 7, 2018
It really is incredible. I'm gonna echo a bunch of others in this thread and say Galaxy 2 is even better. In fact, it's one of the greatest games ever made.

Oct 25, 2017
México
OP. Have you played Super Mario 3D World? Because I honestly think it's an even better game.

I find it highly unfortunate that the best Mario game ever created was missed by many or at least misjudged and passed over due to the Wii U's failure. I realize that starting discussions about Mario game rankings (or any game) is highly subjective, but I'm only hoping to draw more people to this amazing game that may have given it a miss so far.

I can't remember a time that I played a game through that continuously gave me this much joy and then added surprise after surprise with more and more content and challenges.
Anyways here are my reasons:

The game still looks absolutely stunning. Smooth framerate at 60fps with not a single blurry texture. Very colorful.

Incredible level design and difficulty balance which gets progressively harder at almost the perfect level. And level after level, they always introduce new mechanics or new elements to each stage.

Ongoing content that just keeps going, opening up surprise worlds that feel fresh, fun and really add tons of value. Unlike Odyssey where the main game feels like 4-5 hours long...This game continues and feels fresh all the way until the final Bowser fight...then keeps going and going with surprises.

Real innovation that integrates amazingly creative new game elements, like the Toad levels, stamp collection, getting the "top" of the flag on all levels. These all feel like real challenges and you actually want to collect EVERYTHING. (Edit: I'm not saying getting the top of the flag is a "challenge", but it's something that's inherently "Mario". It's cool that they turned it into an objective in each level rather than just extra points.)

You can play this game in single player only and you'd almost forget that you can also play multiplayer. Some may disagree, but I'm willing to bet you jumped right into this thinking it's a multiplayer game and didn't really give single player a chance on its own. Playing in multiplayer makes it feel like a totally different game. It's like two games in one. Try it single player only and beat it that way, then go back with multiplayer. You'll see what I mean.

Integrates all of the best "true" Mario elements into one. Maps opening up worlds like Super Mario World (SNES), playable characters with different attributes like Super Mario Bros 2 (NES), random roaming enemy challenges on the way like Super Mario Bros 3 (NES), all with a very Super Mario Galaxy feel and amazing creativity.

Great audio tracks. Love the "circus" Bowser level music.

The cat suit is really fun and a welcome addition (the Tanooki suit is the only forgettable one) and makes finding all stars fun. However, the real creativity is in the bullet block head, light block head (later boo levels), coin block head and more (like NSMB but I think executed very well here). Seriously, there is amazing creativity here in using so many game elements to add value to already great level design, I don't even know where to start. It's like the Mario Galaxy team brought all their best ideas together and put them into one game. There are time rush levels, speed levels...it's the perfect amount of pacing and change to keep it interesting all the time.

Perfect integration of real classic Mario enemies. They're all here, from spiky turtles, to mini Goombas. What really stands out though are the little touches. Like Goombas relaxing and sunbathing in tropical levels. Look for the little touches that make this world come alive. It's so much fun because it makes you smile all the time.

Roxoriku

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, so I misread the title as "How is this game good?". I thought to myself: No way is Shinobi picking a fight with the gaming community at large. lol

Glad I misread. Yes, this collection has shown to me how sublime Galaxy really is.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
It's magical. One of those rare games I was really hyped for that exceeded my expectations and made me feel like a kid when it came out.

I can recognize some people prefer more "exploration"-style gameplay but this was exactly what I wanted from 3D Mario. And there's constantly new gameplay ideas/mechanics being introduced to you.

Cantona222

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
I got 13 stars so far on my 2nd playthrough and I'm really enjoying it. First playthrough was in 2007 😁

Correct me if I'm wring. So when I start a level there is not much incentive in roaming around other than for 1-ups, coins, and star bits? I mean there are no hidden stars or other big secrets?

sugar bear

Oct 27, 2017
3D World is my favorite, even better in my book than the Galaxies. Best game on Wii U, worth owning the system if only for this game. I can't wait for next year's Switch release.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing game. Better than 2. Would love to play it again, but no way I can support Nintendo's greediness. I suppose I could play it on the Wii U again, but then, I'd have to get the Wii U out, lol.

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018
What's weird is I thought Galaxy was the best 3D Mario game (last played it during the Wii days) but after playing it again on All Stars (and after playing Odyssey for a few years) I am shocked at how bad Mario's movement is in Galaxy. Really impacts my viewpoint of it now

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
OP. Have you played Super Mario 3D World? Because I honestly think it's an even better game.

I find it highly unfortunate that the best Mario game ever created was missed by many or at least misjudged and passed over due to the Wii U's failure. I realize that starting discussions about Mario game rankings (or any game) is highly subjective, but I'm only hoping to draw more people to this amazing game that may have given it a miss so far.

I can't remember a time that I played a game through that continuously gave me this much joy and then added surprise after surprise with more and more content and challenges.

The game still looks absolutely stunning. Smooth framerate at 60fps with not a single blurry texture. Very colorful.

Incredible level design and difficulty balance which gets progressively harder at almost the perfect level. And level after level, they always introduce new mechanics or new elements to each stage.

Ongoing content that just keeps going, opening up surprise worlds that feel fresh, fun and really add tons of value. Unlike Odyssey where the main game feels like 4-5 hours long...This game continues and feels fresh all the way until the final Bowser fight...then keeps going and going with surprises.

Real innovation that integrates amazingly creative new game elements, like the Toad levels, stamp collection, getting the "top" of the flag on all levels. These all feel like real challenges and you actually want to collect EVERYTHING. (Edit: I'm not saying getting the top of the flag is a "challenge", but it's something that's inherently "Mario". It's cool that they turned it into an objective in each level rather than just extra points.)

You can play this game in single player only and you'd almost forget that you can also play multiplayer. Some may disagree, but I'm willing to bet you jumped right into this thinking it's a multiplayer game and didn't really give single player a chance on its own. Playing in multiplayer makes it feel like a totally different game. It's like two games in one. Try it single player only and beat it that way, then go back with multiplayer. You'll see what I mean.

Integrates all of the best "true" Mario elements into one. Maps opening up worlds like Super Mario World (SNES), playable characters with different attributes like Super Mario Bros 2 (NES), random roaming enemy challenges on the way like Super Mario Bros 3 (NES), all with a very Super Mario Galaxy feel and amazing creativity.

The cat suit is really fun and a welcome addition (the Tanooki suit is the only forgettable one) and makes finding all stars fun. However, the real creativity is in the bullet block head, light block head (later boo levels), coin block head and more (like NSMB but I think executed very well here). Seriously, there is amazing creativity here in using so many game elements to add value to already great level design, I don't even know where to start. It's like the Mario Galaxy team brought all their best ideas together and put them into one game. There are time rush levels, speed levels...it's the perfect amount of pacing and change to keep it interesting all the time.

Perfect integration of real classic Mario enemies. They're all here, from spiky turtles, to mini Goombas. What really stands out though are the little touches. Like Goombas relaxing and sunbathing in tropical levels. Look for the little touches that make this world come alive. It's so much fun because it makes you smile all the time.

Love this write-up, I have a preference for Galaxy 2 but 3D World is fucking outstanding and now I'm extra hyped for the Switch version.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
About 90 stars in. I gotta be honest and say I'm not a huge fan of it. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely a good game but I am not a fan of the movement. I like Odyssey much better and I feel like I would like sunshine more but I haven't played it in years so I can't give a definitive verdict yet.

Can't wait to play 3D World for the first time in February to see where they all stack up in my head but right now Galaxy is looking like it is gonna land on the lower end for me.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I got 13 stars so far on my 2nd playthrough and I'm really enjoying it. First playthrough was in 2007 😁

Correct me if I'm wring. So when I start a level there is not much incentive in roaming around other than for 1-ups, coins, and star bits? I mean there are no hidden stars or other big secrets?
There are some alternate paths to stars.

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018

This has me hyped. Cannot wait to play 3D World for the first time

OP
OP
shinobi602

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017

I haven't but was planning on picking the Switch version up next year. Looks like it'll be a good choice!

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Sunshine made me get into a period where I didn't like Mario like, at all. Galaxy alone made me realize this is the GOAT series. So much of that game is focused on what it's going far and seldom misses.

Now, Galaxy 2...I felt that game made the first one look like a tech demo, but I don't know how many feel similar to me.

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017
It's unreal that SMG2 was conceived from leftover ideas that didn't make the cut in SMG. Imagine if they were able to pack all of that goodness into one game. But I'm happy we got two great games instead of one 😃

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
It's beyond good. It's just so full of good ideas and smiles. And just when you think you've seen it all...it's like wow that was the first two levels.

Mario galaxy proved to me once and for all that linearity can force a player to engage with finely tuned mechanics in ways more open games can't. And there is zero bloat. The game is done way before you're tired of it.

It is peerless.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
What the hell, I didn't know there were 3D World stans. It wasn't bad, but I could hardly care for that game. Same with 3D Land.
Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 are the best games in the series. And SMG2 is better than 1, because it has less motion control shit.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Playing Mario 3D All Stars, I am shocked at the difference in quality between Mario Sunshine and Mario Galaxy. The controls in Sunshine are just unpolished and outright frustrating to play, while Galaxy is an absolute joy to play.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Same boat. Never played it, and just picked it up last week. It's a 3D platforming fan's dream. I've been loving every second of it*.

*In docked mode. Handheld mode is pretty bad with Galaxy, actually.

Oct 28, 2017
What's weird is I thought Galaxy was the best 3D Mario game (last played it during the Wii days) but after playing it again on All Stars (and after playing Odyssey for a few years) I am shocked at how bad Mario's movement is in Galaxy. Really impacts my viewpoint of it now
Playing it for the first time and feel the same. Having played through Odyssey twice in the past few years the controls in Galaxy are so much worse. I wonder if I would feel different if I had played Galaxy first.