• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Today I was really excited to try PS4 VR (first version) and Astro Bot. Relatively easy to set up, I have some issues with the equipment but that's not the point of this thread.

I played about five levels of Astro Bot, so maybe 2hrs? Experience itself was great, and Astro Bot is a must for VR enthusiasts. Then came off the headset and the whole thing came crashing down. My eyes felt like they were swelling, immediate headache, and I'm still dizzy right now. After about 15mins, I felt like I needed to throw up, and I did.

What the hell happened? Did I play for too long? I don't even get motion sickness normally, so what caused this? First time experience?

Anyone else felt sick after playing VR?

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
VR Sickness is a thing, you'll get used to it, make sure you play in short bursts at first and stop when you feel whoozy, you can't "power through" it.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Sounds like you got motion sick and focused too long at a screen way too close to your eyes.

PSVR triggers my motion sickness way more than any other headset. Take some Dramamine next time, you should be okay.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I've felt bad after using pS VR couple times. I have no problems with Oculus Rift S though. Don't know why since they are both relatively low FOV and refresh rate.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
It's a very common issue with VR, you're not alone. I get sick from it fairly easily as well. Some games are better than others. Apparently you can get used to it over time (like, weeks of playing a little each day), but I've never put the time in myself.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
You played for too long as your first session. Start with 30mins and gradually increase.

OP
OP
DFG

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
VR Sickness is a thing, you'll get used to it, make sure you play in short bursts at first and stop when you feel whoozy, you can't "power through" it.
It's a very common issue with VR, you're not alone. I get sick from it fairly easily as well. Some games are better than others. Apparently you can get used to it over time (like, weeks of playing a little each day), but I've never put the time in myself.
I ha no idea it was a common thing. I probably should've looked it up šŸ˜­
You played for too long as your first session. Start with 30mins and gradually increase.
Yeah learnt this the hard way hahaha

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

You don't need weeks to acclimatize, more like a few days with it. I started playing in 15 min sessions and slowly extended it to an hour. I think the longest session I will do is two hours. Maybe when the tech gets lighter and fuss free you'd be able to go beyond that.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Astrobot is a little uncomfortable, but Beat Saber has been completely painless for me and everyone I've shown it too. I recommend sticking clear of Resident Evil 7 for the foreseeable future if Astro Bot made you puke.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Two hours in a single sitting seems like a really long time to be in VR. I'd probably almost never do more than an hour without a nice long break.

Dec 23, 2017
Welcome to VR, OP! I hope you have a lot of fun and amazing experiences!

39891228403_12f092a56a_o.gif

Since this is your first time in VR, I recommend playing in short bursts until your body and mind gets accustomed to it.

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
Any VR game where the camera moves you forward can be really rough on you. I'd recommend trying more games where you're stationary and the game happens around you like Job Simulator. It'll give you a better feel for VR and you might be able to eventually play games like Astrobot longer. Definitely take it easy.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I was never sick or anything, even after first use, but there are few games that made me feel like my eyes were lagging behind my brain (RIGS for example).
I played REVII in VR for hours so I don't think time has anything to do with it.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Yeah don't play VR for 2 hours, pretty much ever, especially if you're prone to motion sickness. I could barely play Astrobot for >30mins personally, and the more you move your head, the sooner you're crippled. RE7 is the worst I've played for motion sickness and I could barely manage 15 mins. Until Dawn was vomit-worthy after an hour. Something like HL: Alyx I got no motion sickness from, but playing it for hours without a break made me trip out of reality for a few days.

You know those old recommendations for taking a 15 minute break for every hour? That really does apply to VR if you wanna use it consistently.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
If Astro Bot can makes you puke, then you will still have some VR legs to grow before you can start Wipeout Omega Collection, Blood & Truth, Resident Evil 7 and Until Dawn Rush of Blood.

Chaserjoey

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad you didn't start with Iron Man then.

Astro Bot made me feel a little sick when I was still getting use to it. If you have a pedestal fan, having that blowing on your face while you're playing VR can help. Otherwise it's like others said and just playing short bursts until you hopefully get use to it.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Today I was really excited to try PS4 VR (first version) and Astro Bot. Relatively easy to set up, I have some issues with the equipment but that's not the point of this thread.

I played about five levels of Astro Bot, so maybe 2hrs? Experience itself was great, and Astro Bot is a must for VR enthusiasts. Then came off the headset and the whole thing came crashing down. My eyes felt like they were swelling, immediate headache, and I'm still dizzy right now. After about 15mins, I felt like I needed to throw up, and I did.

What the hell happened? Did I play for too long? I don't even get motion sickness normally, so what caused this? First time experience?

I think you are supposed to take 15-20 mins break per hour you play. šŸ˜•

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
They say 15 mins for every hour but you should break that up. I try to avoid playing longer than 15-20 minutes at a time, at least a few minutes break taken often.

I got wayyy too into my first time playing Half Life Alyx. I played for like 2 hours messing around in the beginning for a while. I went way too long, and then the first ladder made me barf lol

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
It may not be what happened in your case, but I had some pretty bad VR sickness when I was playing Tetris Effect on PSVR and the camera wasn't calibrated correctly for some reason. I couldn't even put my finger on what exactly was wrong, but I started feeling nauseous, worse than I'd experienced with any other game. I fixed it by simply looking up at the camera for a few seconds and the game corrected the problem itself and the view jumped as it recalibrated.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah VR sickness is still affecting me even though I owned PSVR for awhile now. I don't really play it often and when I play it I can't play more than 30 min before feeling sick to stomach.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I've never experienced it myself but my wife felt sick after 30 seconds in a racing game where you are in the drivers seat. This is on the quest, not sure if different headsets affect people differently.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I only ever have/had it with racing games like DriveClub VR. As soon as I crash into some lane and the car turns I will be immediately sick cause I guess my body is a bit confused lol. Everything else is totally fine though.

Apr 20, 2020
I didn't find the option to set the width between eyes for a while - that helped my experience a lot, maybe it will work for op

Apr 20, 2020
There's an option in the ps4 vr settings that uses the camera to take a pic of the face, you set where your pupils are in the pic, and it helps the focus of the image

It's in settings, devices, playstation vr, measure eye to eye distance

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
This happened to me with half life alyx. Kind of strange to me because I never had any issues with any other game that I played in the past. I remember one day I played for an extended period of time in the morning and for the rest of the day I felt sick.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
VR sickness largely varies from person to person but what you're describing isn't exactly uncommon.

If this was your first time experiencing VR, a 2 hour session wasn't a good idea.VR is an intense thing for your brain as your brain and body aren't accustomed to moving through a realistic 3D space with artificial movement. You should definitely try cutting back your sessions until you develop your "VR legs", the term used to describe your brain essentially becoming accustomed to virtual reality experiences without adverse physical reactions like what you're describing here.

Consider 30 minute sessions at a time, perhaps using comfort options like comfort blinders and teleportation in applicable titles (Astro Bot doesn't apply here) and slowly build your tolerance up. Eventually, unless you have an underlying condition that is likely to give you problems in the future with VR, you will become acclimated and can stretch that play time out and experience titles without any comfort options enabled.

When I tried VR for the first time, I played a short 20 minute demo of EVE: Valkyrie without any comfort options and I had no adverse reactions. I've largely chalked my ability to spend ample time in VR without discomfort to the fact that I have no prior history of motion sickness or anything of the sort. On the flip side, I demoed Budget Cuts to a friend using my Oculus Rift CV1 ages ago and despite the teleportation movement, he became ill after mere minutes and was decommissioned for the rest of the day. He eventually tried GORN, a far more physically intensive game with smooth locomotion, and he was absolutely fine throughout his hour long play session. As I said earlier, it's largely dependent on the person and experience. I can almost assure you though, once you've built up your VR legs, you'll be playing without issue and you can enjoy VR unencumbered.

Best of luck, man!

Chaserjoey

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
Adjust the PS VR for Eye Distance
Ensure the Scope is properly set for your specific eye distance. Keep in mind if you have customized eye-to-eye distance for yourself. If someone else uses your VR Headset, they may need to re-calibrate this setting.
You can make adjustments to the settings for your PS VR Headset doing the following:
Step 1: Go to Settings > Devices
Step 2: Go to PlayStation VR Measure Eye-to-Eye Distance.
Step 3: If you normally use default distance (63mm or 2.5 inches), and you see this value is different, select Use Default Value.
Step 4: Choose Next, and then follow the onscreen instructions for measuring your eye-to-eye distance if needed.
Step 5: When finished, the system will save this setting to your profile.

PlayStationĀ® Official Site: Consoles, Games, Accessories & More

Explore the new generation PlayStation 4 and PS5 consoles - experience immersive gaming with thousands of hit games in every genre to rewrite the rules for what a PlayStation console can do.

Oct 27, 2017
I tried beat saber for the first time this week with an Oculus Rift S, I was expecting high motion sickness as well but to my surprise I managed to get through it quite well. The little demo Oculus gives too when you boot for the first time didn't really make me feel sick either.

Oct 25, 2017
I was playing Superhot on a Quest (it has completely wireless wand/wii-remote-esque controllers for each hand, for those who might not know) and I went to hit an enemy that got very close.

In real life, I punched a door.

Hard.

Good times.

mingo

Oct 25, 2017
London
Half a lap into driveclub was enough to actually make me throw up and have a headache for the rest of the day, never played that again. The only VR game I played extensivly without problems was REZ. So I pretty much wasted my money on PSVR and probably won't be getting PSVR2.

Ananasas

Jul 11, 2018
At first it was the same for me too, but got used in few hours, biggest problem I had was with Resident Evil 7 when you turn you head and camera at opposite direction.

Milena

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it may need some getting used to.

The first time that I tried it I played a bit of The Lab, as I wanted to try an easy and calming experience at first, and I selected the mountain peak. It was not a great idea, I couldn't last 15 minutes before my head hurt like crazy.

Now I can manage up to 1 hour easily, but more might be pushing it with most games.
Half Life Alyx is certainly the smoothest experience yet, but even with that I don't think I've managed more than 1 hour and a half.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
Just keep on trying it, don't give up! At some point you get used to it and eventually you will feel comfortable throwing up.
That doesn't sound right... Never thrown up once in 4 years of VR. Your post would have scared me off of VR tbf...

If you're throwing up then you've done too much or played too long in discomfort.

www.resetera.com

For those new to VR, here is some information (and help) on motion sickness.

Upload has a list of things you can do to help mitigate or avoid motion sickness. Here: https://uploadvr.com/7-ways-overcome-vr-motion-sickness/ It's also not a bad idea having a thread that contains some general tips and info. Feel free to ask questions or add your own tips.

Oct 26, 2017
Is there an explanation of what's happening that causes this?
I've often heard of people feeling sick after ending their play session in VR but not during. Does that happen too?

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
That doesn't sound right... Never thrown up once in 4 years of VR. Your post would have scared me off of VR tbf...

If you're throwing up then you've done too much or played too long in discomfort.

www.resetera.com

For those new to VR, here is some information (and help) on motion sickness.

Upload has a list of things you can do to help mitigate or avoid motion sickness. Here: https://uploadvr.com/7-ways-overcome-vr-motion-sickness/ It's also not a bad idea having a thread that contains some general tips and info. Feel free to ask questions or add your own tips.

I sometimes fill up 3 buckets in a long session, but I just really like VR.

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
I am quite prone to dizziness. For a few years now, I can get dizzy even watching a roller coaster from afar. My first serious VR gaming experience was when I bought the Valve Index. I have never felt dizzy using it. Most games feel like being there, without causing unwanted effects. The exception was Layers of Fear VR. A lousy adaptation of a game that I love. So I asked for a refund.

So, the probability of feeling dizzy increases the weaker the VR system you use. And I think is a good idea to start with short times before going to two full hours of VR gaming.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)

Hmm. I guess you ain't gonna make the cut for Iron Man VR

PedroRVD

Oct 25, 2017
Ecuador
I expected the worst with PSVR ... after having a terrible experience with the first 3DS ... I even had to go to a doctor because I felt my eyes completely twisted and I was scared they would stay there for sure. (Thankfully I was cured with some drops).

I still wanted to try PSVR and never had any problems. The only game that makes me feel uncomfortable is that mini game of VR Worlds where I'm sliding on a road .... I turned it off immediately. Then no problems at all.
But I see you have played for a long time. I recommend shorter sessions.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
Astrobot is a little uncomfortable, but Beat Saber has been completely painless for me and everyone I've shown it too. I recommend sticking clear of Resident Evil 7 for the foreseeable future if Astro Bot made you puke.
Yeah, anything where your character doesn't move is a good VR starter game. Astroboy I could see being alittle rough.

PlzUninstall

Oct 30, 2017
I felt fine for most things until I played the alien shooter/mech game (Scavengers Odyssey) in Playstation VR Worlds. I played for about 10 minutes but the jumping around made me feel SO sick. I was honestly on the verge of running to the toilet.

Generally I don't get too sick during other games but FPS games can sometimes make me feel a bit disorientated at first. Changing settings and removing things like motion blur, improving FOV will help a bit. I feel like it's a combination of a new game overwhelming me plus FOV being strange will mess with me.

Deleted member 62078

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 12, 2019
I would suggest trying the experiences where you, the player, are stationary - first example that comes to mind is Moss, it's a gorgeous game with quite short levels that are almost like dioramas you can lean in for a closer look at.

If you were feeling particularly brave, also try the Kitchen demo - you are sat in a chair that doesnt move for entire thing, which should reduce nausea. It's just that what happens around you is horrific, haha.

Then I would suggest Beat Saber. It's a lot more dynamic than the previous examples, but there's no player travelling at all.