• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

New to Gamepass What you think?

• Overwhelmed this is better than expected

Votes: 381 62.4%
  • Underwhelmed worse than I thought.

Votes: 52 8.5%
  • About what i thought (positive)

Votes: 117 19.1%
  • Meh (negative)

Votes: 61 10.0%

• Total voters

DSmalls84

Jun 2, 2018
So far I have downloaded Gears 5 and Outer Worlds.
I would say the only disappointment so far is that I didn't realize DLC was in some cases sold separately. The overall experience other than that has been positive.

HanSoloCup

Oct 27, 2017
Richmond, VA
Amazing! Never owned an Xbox, but picked up the Series S as a Gamepass machine to go along with my PS5. I've been blown away by the entire experience so far. I have around 20 games downloaded and have been working through quite a few games that I've always wanted to play but never picked up.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing! Never owned an Xbox, but picked up the Series S as a Gamepass machine to go along with my PS5. I've been blown away by the entire experience so far. I have around 20 games downloaded and have been working through quite a few games that I've always wanted to play but never picked up.
But the doom-mongers said that thing could only fit like 3 games!

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
I'm suffering from massive choice paralysis. I don't know where to start. It has also affected how I buy games on other platforms. Like I will get an alert from deku deals that doom is on sale for switch. But why buy that when it is on gamepass? And if I do buy it, it would make sense to stay in the xbox ecosystem where they still support games that came out 20 damn years ago.

And in the most mundane utility ever, It's nice not to have to switch disks on games I own. Like I own he tomb raider and gears games already, and even though they were disc versions, gamepass lets me switch between them as though I bought them digitally. Super convenient considering when I bought the GOTY versions of MGS5 and Spider-man for ps4, I lost my existing saved games for the base versions.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
It was fine before and then they dumped the EA games on there and now it's too much. TOO MUCH!

it's fine really...

I wish the "All Game Pass Games" button still worked... it hasn't since the Series X launched so there's no way on the console on one screen anymore to see ALL THE VALUE IN ONE PLACE.

Go to My games & apps, Full Library, Xbox Game Pass. It's all there, though EA Play titles are in their own section.

Stormblessed

Feb 21, 2019
It's nice and I get to try a lot of games I otherwise wouldn't play. Also feel a lot less guilt dropping games I'm not enjoying too much since I didn't actually pay for them specifically. Plus after I'm done with Valhalla I'm gonna get to experience Dead Space for the first time which I'm hyped about!

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm not a new subscriber by any means, but man, I was scrolling through last night and it was so daunting that I ended up downloading Peggle 2 and Mass Effect Andromeda. Someone help me please. I have so many better games to play, but it's like "oh, I've never played Andromeda"...an hour in and I get why. WTF is with that game? The combat seems alright, but everything else just feels wrong. I couldn't even tell you what's supposed to be happening in the story. I should really just delete it.

Also, do the game trials work for EA Game Pass? I'd like to try out Squadrons, but I don't see the option.

diderotto

Oct 11, 2020
I tried it for the first time recently (PC version) and while I think it might be great for some people, it didn't appeal to me that much. Personally, I found it hard to feel committed to a single game with such a big offer, especially since I wasn't crazy about any of the existing titles in the catalogue.

PugSith

Mar 8, 2018
I'm subbed up for 3 years as part of the offers that were floating around, it's good value for me at the moment as I missed 2/3rds of the XBOX One stuff. As someone with little interest in the traditional XBOX games I can't see myself paying ÂŁ10+ a month once my 3 years finishes unless something changes. Hoping they bring in more RPGs and extensive single player experiences over the coming years.

marcinaldo

Oct 28, 2017
I will see after some time. Right now I'm jumping between multiple games without really focusing on one. Also I think it might put a bit of a pressure on me to blast through some titles before they are removed as I feel that I would be really upset if I liked something and they would remove it.

So... on one hand I love the number of games, on the other I was not expecting that it may make me feel this pressure. I wonder if I manage to really finish anything with that service.

But I bought it to just see how it works. If it's not for me, then it's not for me. I'll just return to simply buying games that I like.

Also, already played some titles I was interested in buying in the past, but did not and thanks to Game Pass I learned that I would spend more money for games I did not like. So even if I treat is as demo versions, then I guess it's fine

rafacamolez

Jan 3, 2019
Brazil
I have a new console – which normally I'd have like one or two games at launch. But now i have 15 games I REALLY want to play, just cause of game pass.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Love this thread, please share your stories.

For me it's compeltly changed how how I play games and hwo I play with my friends, for the better.

Dec 30, 2017
Insane. XsX is my first xbox (first xbox, first forum post), so for me this is the best console launch experience ever. And when I remember that i have gamepass already paid until 2023... just insane.

The craziest thing is that I think it is good for my backlog OCD. I don't feel the pressure to finish anything. This weekend I'm going to play Jedi Fallen Order, and when I get bored I will uninstall it without second thoghts because I haven't paid 60$ just for one game.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I feel kind of foolish for avoiding getting on this train for so long.

Got a Series S and Game Pass and it's been the most pleasant console launch I've ever experienced. Played a bunch of games I haven't had access to on PS4 (Carrion, Katana Zero, Deep Rock Galactic) and I'm currently downloading Gears Tactics. A new Halo is the only thing missing. Would've been perfection.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
nice. glad to see most impressions are very positive. just wait until the next gen 1P titles start hitting the service.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
I was out of the Xbox/PS generations and there's just a ton of games I missed on that I finally get to play like NieR or Titanfall. It's pretty great. Also some surprises I didn't know that were in it like Perfect Dark which is one of my favourite games ever.

Selection isn't perfect but that $1 Game Pass Ultimated upgrade deal is pretty great and I can't really complain. I'll buy whatever games I really like and maybe beat the rest. They're kinda like long demos for me at this point lol.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
One thing I wish is that they didn't include games that aren't permanently available. I don't want to feel pressured to play or complete something. Other than that I really like it, but I just don't like that it's a bit of a minefield in that I don't want to play a game that's only temporarily available because there's a fair chance I won't finish it in time.

I'm not really a new user though, but I did shift to start using it very often in the last few months.

I've also started a Ubisoft+ subscription and I've been really happy with that. It's a bit pricy but you get a good set of triple A experiences every year. The only thing is I wish I could play them on PS4 too.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
It's incredible!!!
I am playing so many games on one X that I've never would experience if wasn't for gamepass.
Its fantastic!!!
I am on quarantine since March and okayed absolute all games I wanted this gen and was out of games to play and gamepass made me try so many new games...
I imagine that if there's a person that was only a PlayStation player for the last 2 generations and picked a new Xbox with gamepass, man, this person will have games to play for so so long...
And i only can imagine with all this new development teams Microsoft acquire, what gamepass will be in one or 2 years.
Just insane.

Oct 25, 2017
I went in on Gamepass PC knowing there was stuff I wanted to try (CrossCode, Forza) but Indies like Carrion and Lonely Mountains are a great to find. I'm sure I'd be more blown away if I had more time to dedicate strictly to gamepass but alas. It's a great service.

Aug 9, 2020
I built my first PC for gaming this week after months of research with LTT, gamersnexus, PCpartpicker, r/buildapc, refreshing nowinstock and it feels like a great burden has been lifted. Now I can stop obsessing over hardware parts and just enjoy some new gaming experiences. I've been playing only on Nintendo systems since the ps2, so I have a lot of catching up to do haha. Gamepass is really a insane value for where I'm at—although it is overwhelming (in a positive way).

Aiustis

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cybertronic Purgatory
I've now downloaded about 10 games. Tried about half of them for 30 minutes and moved on to the next one. This thing is great.

Also I downloaded Gears: Judgement cause it said I owned it and this thing pulled down my save from my 360. I seriously was not expecting that. I loaded it and sure enough my campaign progress was still there. I never finished this game and I could continue from where I stopped years ago.

I'm about to start downloading random 360 games to see which one still has my saves. Not sure if it can do that for all of them but it was cool.

So far Gamepass is a 10/10.
Definitely great cloud save system.

PSA: Use MS Rewards! It's easy and you earn points for playing games and getting achievements.

PaultheNerd

Dec 25, 2018
I came into it knowing a couple of games I wanted to try, but booting up my Series S this past Tuesday and seeing the full selection, I was blown away, especially now with EA Play included. Games I always wanted to try such as Nier Automata or FFXV blew me away that it was included, and now I have to say I'm overwhelmed haha.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
Overwhelming is the perfect word.

There's so many games, and great games at that! Pretty awesome.

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
I came into it knowing a couple of games I wanted to try, but booting up my Series S this past Tuesday and seeing the full selection, I was blown away, especially now with EA Play included. Games I always wanted to try such as Nier Automata or FFXV blew me away that it was included, and now I have to say I'm overwhelmed haha.
FFXV includes all DLC Episodes, including Episode Ardyn.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
The selection and the price (at least the low intro price you can usually get) are great.

It's just a shame MS never prioritizes making the Windows Store not be a flaky piece of crap. I've had games fail to launch. I've had downloads go infinitely. It's just less reliable than any other store I've used, and it's freaking 2020, it's been like this for years.

Quinho

Dec 25, 2017
I know it may sound stupid to complain about this, because the value is astronomically high, the best possible, but the fear of the games being dropped from the catalogue (ala netflix and other streaming services) is always looming in the back of my mind while I playing these games.

While it may never happen, the thought of not owning these games and wanting to play them later and not being able to makes me not appreciate this service as much.

Deleted member 5876

Big Seller
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First time using it. First time with an Xbox since 360.
Downloaded and am playing through Jedi Order for the first time.
Kinda wish Ubisoft would get on board so I could play through the Assassins Creed games.

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
I payed for 13 months of Ultimate and for me it is a "meh". Played now and then for a month, and havent touched it since.

PC Game Pass app is just garbage. Xcloud support is great, on the othee hand (Android).

I would recommend it only for people invested in Xbox IPs/ecosystem or that want to have a sneak peak and see how Xbox flagships (Halo, Forza, etc.) play. Third Party AAA on Game Pass are games that have been out basically forever and at a really cheap/discounted price (FF XV, Nier, The Witcher 3 etc).

Again, this is from the point of view of someone that wasnt previously into xbox and just realized that I actually dont care about xbox IPs (after trying them). I'll try again when avowed, Fable and other big games come out, but for now, is a pass.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Not participating in the poll, but when I joined in November of 2018 I was blown away even then at the content on display on the Xbox, it was honestly incredible, and it's only been getting better since then. I honestly don't see myself dropping the service any time soon tbh, even without the first party content it gets a lot of good third party content that I never got around to buying/playing at launch or was never sure about buying

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
I've had it on PC for a couple of months before the XSX arrived, although I hardly played a thing on it if I'm honest. A bit of Outer Worlds and not much else to any extent. This is due mostly because I'm old and crusty, program computers for a living and don't want to sit at a desk and play games any more. That's why I went for the Xbox, hoping that GP would give me tonnes of comfy couch gaming for a good price.

So far, it's OK. I'm really liking Grounded a lot and as someone who HATED Gears 1 I'm really enjoying Gears 5. Of course my kids get Minecraft too which is cool. One thing I have found though is that I'm not particularly excited by older games especially if they run at 30fps - it's like I've developed this aversion to it since diving into God of War on PS4 :) I've been finding that I get this weird sensation like I'm not really in the game unless I move really slowly and can see things clearly, and I can't quite figure out what's causing it.

But I digress. Typically I don't play a huge amount of games because I don't have the time any more so I'm very picky and tend to pick highly rated games are up my alley. I haven't seen a lot of those on GamePass yet and I have to say that currently I do have a couple of games on the go (GoW and Uncharted 2) and part of me wants to knock those off first. I'm afraid if I get too much into the XSX I'll end up REALLY hating the PS4 haha.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
This might be a good place to ask, does the stacking Xbox gold and then converting to Gamepass Ultimate still work? I am thinking I'll eventually pickup an XSX, but I might go ahead and get a couple years of Gamepass a little cheaper if that is still an option.
As of a couple of months ago it did as I did it. Got 3 years for about NZD$5 a month.

Nov 1, 2017
I'm on PC, joined about a month ago. Let me get the bad out of the way first: This is my mistake for not researching enough but going in I thought the content was going to be the same across all platforms. I also didn't realize that games cycled out, I was under the impression it was an ever growing collection accessible at any time. I also had a very frustrating time with the Microsoft Store but I use the Xbox App now and it's much better and gets me what I need though still far from ideal. The way Microsoft locks away game files is also super frustrating, but UWP is a conversation bigger than just games.

Now, for the good! As time goes on there's more and more games I want to check out. I'm frustrated at my data cap because there's so much I would love to play but I've already downloaded a butt load. Now that I'm in the ecosystem the thought of buying an Xbox Series X went from "Probably not" to "Maybe I'll keep an eye out for a good deal". I love that JRPG's are represented with some pretty notable titles. I've also been emboldened to try out games I normally wouldn't be interested in ever playing, and in some cases finding out I really like them.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
I had it for a while, but really didn't use it well until the past half year:

Ori 1+ 2
Katana Zero
Red String Club
Descenders
Ape Out
Demon's Tilt
Streets of Rage 4
CrossCode
Crusader Kings 3
Gears Tactics
Battletoads
Flight Simulator
Age or Empires 3

And now streaming Destiny 2 to my phone as I am temporarily away from my TV

Quite a lot more I am interested in... So now I am relocked in for 3 years

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
It's an amazing service. I've had it for 2-3 weeks now (converted my Gold sub). Got a gaming PC not quite two weeks ago, and GP alone has basically convinced me that XSX is the way to go in the living room, despite the overlap. It's just so nice to be able to have the gf look through a list of games and pick out the ones that she is interested in. For example, last night we beat Tetris Effect on the xbone.

On the PC I've beaten Celeste, and playing Gears Tactics with several more on deck. Especially with games starting to hit the $70 mark, it's a great value.

My only actual complaint is that I wish GP games would work with Steam (friends list, achievements, etc).