Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
They are talking about the size at which the components of the chips (transistors and such) can be produced.

Currently, the Series X and PS5 are on 7nm, but likely the slim revisions (and mid-gen refresh) of these will end up on 5nm.

The same thing happened with PS4 and XB1, where they went from 28nm to 16nm, allowing for smaller chips / power requirements, and thus smaller systems.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Replace the guys with PS5s, have the middle console holding the human and this thread will be complete.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, that thing is huge. That dude is grimacing in pain as his muscles strain to keep the mighty console aloft.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019

Wait why aren't they wearing face masks?

Since the source for this photo hasn't been confirmed, I'm going to cite no face masks as another reason this photo may be fake.
I mean, you can see the plastic divisions between the workers in the back, which is exactly what those are for. They may have thought face masks might ruin their photo op, plus maybe they were feeling a bit comfortable since the levels in China had dropped from their peaks. Regardless, it's probably not proof of anything either way.

The dude holding the PS5 is the same dude in the background there lol

OP photo is real
OMG but this shows the PS4 is about the same size as his torso too.. so...

But what a turn of events. I hopped off this thread when we thought it was fake still. Interesting, either way. Still most interested in the teardown and walkthrough. Cerny said we'd be impressed with the cooling solution. Looking forward to being impressed.

TSOLfan

Oct 27, 2017
There
I supposed that ! So just for curiosity, what are the actual tools used to detect a photoshop ?

The way I read the instructions for that tool is, the more/better the compression, the darker the representation in the tool's output.

So if an image was edited, what was original to the image would be darker since it would be compressed again and what was new to the image would be lighter since it would be compressed for the first time.

Case in point:

JWlJUsA.png

FotoForensics

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
What if they photoshopped him in the background ?

I WOULDNT PUT IT PAST THEM!1!!

This is the lengths that crazed foaming at the mouth Xbox fanbois will go to just for internet maymays and spreading FUD

it's disgusting, I know for a fact it's all Photoshop because in actuality SONY would never make a console that is a different size and shape than what I consider the perfect size and shape for a console!!!!!

E: there is absolutely nothing in the world like leading up to a console launch nonsense, I love it, I'm so thristy for both consoles and the wait is killing me but some of these ridiculous offensive and defensives stands are satiating me.

JimmyJacking

Oct 28, 2017

This is the lengths that crazed foaming at the mouth Xbox fanbois will go to just for internet maymays and spreading FUD

it's disgusting, I know for a fact it's all Photoshop because in actuality SONY would never make a console that is a different size and shape than what I consider the perfect size and shape for a console!!!!!

E: there is absolutely nothing in the world like leading up to a console launch nonsense, I love it, I'm so thristy for both consoles and the wait is killing me but some of these ridiculous offensive and defensives stands are satiating me.

lol.. wow

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017

aba529f7babca2caca3114a639d2aaa1.gif

Afro_DusT

Apr 11, 2018
Outside Xbox One X all Microsoft consoles are as big or bigger then Sony.
Xbox One X has a much better/expensive cooling and that's why they could go smaller.
You're right, but after two consecutive instances of it happening it kinda feels like there're on a roll lol. The cooling system in the PS5 must be truly insane for it to be that big. Otherwise they REALLY didn't use space efficiently. Even at that crazy GPU clock I have to think they didn't have to go THAT big to keep everything cool.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
That shit is exactly as tall as my Madcatz TES+ arcade stick and probably just as thick. Notably larger than a Pro.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
You're right, but after two consecutive instances of it happening it kinda feels like there're on a roll lol. The cooling system in the PS5 must be truly insane for it to be that big. Otherwise they REALLY didn't use space efficiently. Even at that crazy GPU clock I have to think they didn't have to go THAT big to keep everything cool.

We gonna have to wait for a breakdown to see how that thing looks inside.

360 was smaller than PS3

It wasn't if you include that big external power brick that Xbox 360 had while PS3 was all internal.

Last edited:

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
Outside Xbox One X all Microsoft consoles are as big or bigger then Sony.
Xbox One X has a much better/expensive cooling and that's why they could go smaller.

It all started with the Surface. Glad to see that philosophy expand to Xbox. Their hardware is on another level now.

Oh, yeah! That's my main complaint with many non-Sony consoles. Do we know if the Series X has a power brick this time around?

Have you seen the DF video where they put the Series X together?

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
The way they're holding it makes it look like an ancient biblical tablet. Hopefully the cooling is sufficient.

A.M.R

May 17, 2020
Interesting.

I think Cerny mentioned that PS5 will support PCIe 4.0 m2 SSD drives from third parties. and they needed to accommodate space for them, and list what's supported later on.

and they can be big

edit: not that big actually, thanks Bloodforge , Decarb & Expy

Last edited:

Bloodforge

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Interesting.

I think Cerny mentioned that PS5 will support PCIe 4.0 m2 SSD drives from third parties. and they needed to accommodate space for them, and list what's supported later on.

and they can be huge btw... an example:
2019-05-28%2009.53.42.jpg

I'm curious, can someone make a poll:
- Would you prefer if Sony went with proprietary drive expansion (similar to XSX card expansion) and managed to reduce the size of the console say by 10%? - Or you prefer to have other options with the availability of big slot in the back to accommodate many potential third party drive?

That is not an M.2 drive. M.2 NVMEs are pretty small.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting.

and they can be big
edit: thanks Bloodforge!

I'm curious, can someone make a poll:
- Would you prefer if Sony went with proprietary drive expansion (similar to XSX card expansion) and managed to reduce the size of the console say by 10%? - Or you prefer to have other options with the availability of big slot in the back to accommodate many potential third party drive?
That's for motherboards that don't have PCIE 4.0 slot for NVMe so you plug it in one of the x16 slots.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Shoving something into a cabinet without airflow is a good way to kill your console. You need a bigger gap.
It's not a cabinet really, more like book shelves, it's an IKEA Vilto or something like that.

Individual shelves are 10in tall, and the back isn't closed and neither are the sides apart from the legs that hold it up.

Could only have better airflow if I was suspending the PS5 from the ceiling with wires or something, haha.