• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
Hopefully it takes place shortly after RotS, like a year or two. The original movie definitely gives the impression that a long period of time has passed since their last meeting.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Love the idea for an Obi Wan limited series.

Love that Hayden Christensen is returning.

Hate the idea of another face to face.

^^^ There was such a sadness in ANHope when you see him talking about Anakin, all those years since that day but now no wait wait wait wait wait they actually had this epic battle even after Mustafar. OK. Hate it,It will probably be really good tbh simply by just how good Ewan is in the role but I can still not like their decision story wise. I cannot wait until this series goes into the future

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Kessel Run (source who stated bad batch is being made, and said a lando show is coming out has additonal details

• The main villain in Obi-Wan Kenobi, aside from Vader, is a clone squad led by Commander Cody for the express purpose of finding Kenobi. KRT speculates that this is the same squad of black-armored clone troopers we saw in the Bad Batch trailer. Edit: They also confirmed that Temuera has been cast in Kenobi.
  • There are still two animated projects that have yet to be announced. Their speculation is a Rebels sequel and a High Republic animated show. KRT also claims there are 3-5 unannounced live-action shows, Boba Fett being one of them.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe it will be some type of Sith Ritual battle.
In Clone Wars Yoda fights Palpatine and Yoda belives that everything is really happening until it's not.
Obi-Wan doesn't know Anakin is using a suit or even alive for that matter which is how they can get away with it being regular Hayden and not tin man.

So maybe it will be something like this with pre-suit Vader and Obi-Wan. Nothing is retconned and yet they still have a rematch of sorts.

Yeah this is my bet. I think it'll be a weird hallucination.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I see ANH scenes it just jives with me how much has been retconned/how many lines you have to stretch to make sense with the expanded content post OT. In a bad way.

They need to remake the OT. Especially a new hope is very dated. They have their place in history, but action filmmaking has come a long way.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
They seem to play fast and loose with just how well known Vader is to the galaxy at large. It keeps changing depending on the story.

When it takes place is also a factor. The closer it is talking place within the OT(i.e after ANH) the more well known he is as he keeps running into the Rebels. The many years before ANH I could easily believe he was pretty unknown for most of it.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Vader being Luke's father was already a retcon of ANH people, you can't look at anything in that movie as gospel. I'm happy for them to stretch it as much as they have to in order to tell a fuller and more interesting story.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kessel Run (source who stated bad batch is being made, and said a lando show is coming out has additonal details

• The main villain in Obi-Wan Kenobi, aside from Vader, is a clone squad led by Commander Cody for the express purpose of finding Kenobi. KRT speculates that this is the same squad of black-armored clone troopers we saw in the Bad Batch trailer. Edit: They also confirmed that Temuera has been cast in Kenobi.
  • There are still two animated projects that have yet to be announced. Their speculation is a Rebels sequel and a High Republic animated show. KRT also claims there are 3-5 unannounced live-action shows, Boba Fett being one of them.
damn commander cody is one of my all time favorites in clone wars.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Huh, that's new to me
There's a great bit in the book Lost Stars when the imperial character Ciena is lined up with the other troops to welcome the Emperor to the second Death Star and she describes her horror at seeing his appearance and general demeanour as that of a eldritch abomination, being at odds with the more managed persona she is used to in holos.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Link?

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
^^^ There was such a sadness in ANHope when you see him talking about Anakin, all those years since that day but now no wait wait wait wait wait they actually had this epic battle even after Mustafar. OK. Hate it,It will probably be really good tbh simply by just how good Ewan is in the role but I can still not like their decision story wise. I cannot wait until this series goes into the future

We'll be dead by the time that happens. They universe wants to let the main-line movies progress the franchise so that'll be at episode X when it moves to the future

HaL64

Nov 3, 2017
QIdAsX.gif

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Vader being Luke's father was already a retcon of ANH people, you can't look at anything in that movie as gospel. I'm happy for them to stretch it as much as they have to in order to tell a fuller and more interesting story.

There are retcons that serve a narrative purpose and there are retcons that are shoved in because of lazy writing and/or to inject more fanservice into a project.

ESB's retcon was the former, almost every other Star Wars retcon since then is the latter (yes, even Leia being Luke's sister).

HaL64

Nov 3, 2017
Hopefully it takes place shortly after RotS, like a year or two. The original movie definitely gives the impression that a long period of time has passed since their last meeting.

The original movie also gives the impression that the prequels totally wouldn't suck and Anakin wasn't a whiney-ass teenager.
They are bringing back that whiney-ass teenager. What, is he going to be in the Vader suit the whole time? Or is he going to walk around in Spawn makeup?
This doesn't make sense. I can only see him being used in flashbacks, but he's way too old for that now.

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
Excited. For years I and others have maintained that this line left the door open for another encounter.

Luke:
Come with me.

Darth Vader:
Obi-Wan once thought as you do. You don't know the *power* of the Dark Side, I *must* obey my master.

Glad to see this come true.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Excited. For years I and others have maintained that this line left the door open for another encounter.

Luke:
Come with me.

Darth Vader:
Obi-Wan once thought as you do. You don't know the *power* of the Dark Side, I *must* obey my master.

Yeah but you see IN MY MIND BACK WHEN I WAS 12 They never saw each other so clearly there's no way to make this work or tie it into existing canon.

Not everything is TROS, it can be executed well enough

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
The original movie also gives the impression that the prequels totally wouldn't suck and Anakin wasn't a whiney-ass teenager.
They are bringing back that whiney-ass teenager. What, is he going to be in the Vader suit the whole time? Or is he going to walk around in Spawn makeup?
This doesn't make sense. I can only see him being used in flashbacks, but he's way too old for that now.

Eh, people change. There are decades between OT Darth Vader and Anakin Skywalker as well as a load of personality-changing trauma.

In fact, the intention of Darth Vader in the end by Lucas was to show that Vader was not cool which Anakin is built off of.

They can easily de-age Hayden.

Oct 25, 2017
finding out today there's a lot more canon nerds than I thought
surprised people would choose steadfast dedication to their own assumptions about one vague line in ANH, over getting another lightsaber duel between Obi-wan and Vader

This fight is going to be what Vader was talking about in RotJ when he told Luke "Obi-wan once thought as you do" about there still being good in him

Obi-wan brought a can of whoopass to mustafar, not an olive branch, so this is totally going to be Obi's ill-fated attempt to redeem him

Gotchaforce

Oct 31, 2017
There's a great bit in the book Lost Stars when the imperial character Ciena is lined up with the other troops to welcome the Emperor to the second Death Star and she describes her horror at seeing his appearance and general demeanour as that of a eldritch abomination, being at odds with the more managed persona she is used to in holos.
But he revealed he was disfigured in Episode 3 to the whole senate to gain sympathy. Gah, Star Wars.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
oh fuck

are we going to see more known clones in both live action and bad batch/other animated shows..?

I can't take anymore tragic shit with them I just absolutely cannot. We're going to see how they eventually get phased out, aren't we? I'm expecting to see some try to rebel/remove the chip and die.

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017

Luke:
Come with me.

Darth Vader:

I'm totally okay with another encounter, that could be an awesome emotional moment for Obi-Wan, but another fight just seems... bleh. Like it has to end in a stalemate so I don't know the point of an actual all out lightsaber duel. Hopefully the creative team has a similar thought in mind.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is 100% a replay of Ben/Snoke. Palpie will tell Vader he must complete his training, to completely eliminate the light in him. They'll find out Obi is alive, and Vader will be told to kill him to extinguish the light inside himself. Vader will fight off Obi-Wan, defeat him but not kill him (purposely or not). This defeat will nerf Obi-Wan, justifying how the emperor and co could no longer sense Obi-Wan. Everyone thinks Obi is truly dead, and Vader now finishes his training and becomes "master" of the dark side.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
surprised people would choose steadfast dedication to their own assumptions about one vague line in ANH, over getting another lightsaber duel between Obi-wan and Vader

This fight is going to be what Vader was talking about in RotJ when he told Luke "Obi-wan once thought as you do" about there still being good in him

Obi-wan brought a can of whoopass to mustafar, not an olive branch, so this is totally going to be Obi's ill-fated attempt to redeem him

THIS

Glorification of the OT fucked up the Sequel trilogy's setting with TFA and gave it the killing blow with TROS.

The OT is not sacrosanct. Fuck the OT and the lines everyone keep repeating like it's gospel, TROS made it all pointless anyways, so why care? just make a good show.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

Internet fans are always canon nerds. The general audience won't give a fuck though and that's okay

Star Wars is already so full of retcons that I've become meh about the continuity

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it's kind of cool that the actors get another crack at these roles in something presumably more competently-written than the prequels.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sigh. I had a rant ready before deciding to just accept the dumb ass retcons and just deal with it. Bunch of fucking incompetent sorry excuses of "writers". ANH made it perfectly clear both didn't see each other since that fateful day.

Which is how it should be. Why do they want to continue to turn this shit into, shit?

Flashbacks of them doing Clone War stuff would have been awesome and enough. Them fighting again for, reasons, just to have them fight? Complete and utter shit.

Oneiros

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, he already fought Darth Maul while in seclusion, so might as well add another Sith lord to the list.

Pennybags

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I can't help but to feel the ANH fight is gonna be cheapened by having a "by the way, they totally had another epic fight" moment.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Oh heck yeah, this sounds awesome. Looking forward to seeing Obi and Vader again.

Post-PT, pre-OT is a really interesting and unexplored time period that I'll alays love to see more of. There's so many characters we could know more about, let alone the state of the galaxy and the changes it has wrought.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can't help but to feel the ANH fight is gonna be cheapened by having a "by the way, they totally had another epic fight" moment.

It was already cheapened by the prequels turning Anakin from a tragic fallen hero in a whiny douchenozzle who was already committing genocide and acting like a creepy incel even before he turned evil.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
But he revealed he was disfigured in Episode 3 to the whole senate to gain sympathy. Gah, Star Wars.
So? There are plenty of real life examples of regimes rewritting historical events to suit their purposes.

it is not beyond belief that Palpatine milked the sympathy of his disfigurement for as long as required, and later transitioned to the benevolent gracefully old statesman character

Recordings of the original speech could be altered and anyone sharing contraband would be spreading "fake news" and get a visit from the ISB goon squad

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So? There are plenty of real life examples of regimes rewritting historical events to suit their purposes.

it is not beyond belief that Palpatine milked the sympathy of his disfigurement for as long as required, and later transitioned to the stage-managed benevolent gracefully old statesman character

Recordings of the speech could be altered and anyone sharing contraband originals would presumably be visited by the ISB goon squad

There's gracefully aging and then there's looking a like a fucking scrotum...

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I was never itching to see an Obi-Wan spin-off but the age of the actors makes sense to revisit this now if they ever care to do anything in this era with those actors again and I supposed there is some leeway about Luke and Old Ben's relationship on Tatooine without having to really retcon anything. I'm not married to canonical details that can be chalked up to unreliable narration or characters withholding info, as long as they do something interesting with it.

I don't care for OT worship or throwing out everything old and only doing something new and unconnected. I just want good Star Wars content.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
"witness the fight between Obi-Wan and Darth Vader that we forgot to tell you about, which came after their final fight that we made sure everyone knew about since the eighties."

I'm interested in Hayden's return just because it's so out of left field, but everything else about this seems scraped off the floor of a pitch meeting.