KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
GQtbu1J.gif

How does this gif make any sense in this context?

I need a Chrome extension that blocks certain memes at this stage.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
These are the same posters that laughed and made a big stink regarding DC's Titans costume design, then lo' and behold when you see the final product with the proper lighting, color grading, and makeup it looks completely fine. The internet loves shitting on stuff.
They still got shit on super hard after the trailer came out. The narrative around them hasn't changed since the set photos came out.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
This shows that pretty much no one played The Witcher 1 or 2, it seems.
2 is my favourite of the games. I'm just somewhat surprised they're doing no scars Geralt, must be early in terms of the books they're adapting for this first season. I also imagine Geralt as a rather pale man as described in the books but the blending between skin tone and wig is not great on Cavill. Hopefully that wasn't just a screen test and they'll work more in the makeup and wig.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The beard is 100% gonna be an easy way of portraying "character development" later on. The cleanest he's shown in the beginning the better.

Tulipunaruusu

Oct 13, 2018
Given the other liberties being taken with this adaptation giving Cavill Geralt a beard shouldn't be a dealbreaker. Cavill can definitely pull this off but they need to do something to make him look less like Superman wearing a Thranduil wig.

Geralt of Rivia's beard growth was a commentary on one point of the saga's travel. And as Sapkowski has said: the books are the ideal from which everything springs as quite clearly was the case with Witcher 3's setting and character relations. The basis of Netflix Witcher then seems to bring some more integral characters and relations into the story earlier so the question is not beard or shaved appearance but how the long story and themes are told which favours non-beard to begin with. During that journey I would bet they envision that Geralt's beard will grow and he will shave it also.

The ethnic backgrounds of in example wizards, elfs or dwarves wasn't very descriptive in the first place as the Witcher fantasy world is mostly written from the major viewpoint of people who are foreign to each other. I wouldn't relegate the book themes to be handled as heavily through Witcher 3's various minor medieval united village people narratives. There are even many concepts not central to our world's general imagination until 1800's or 1900's so the overall visual language could also take some liberties if wanted instead of being Monty Python's Holy Grail.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"It's ok to cast POC is a WAY different argument and context than "Why doesn't this look exactly like the games?" Holy shit.

I'm not saying it's not okay to cast POC but by doing so they are taking liberties with the source material. And that's fine. And giving Geralt a beard if that looks better visually is also fine.

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
2 is my favourite of the games. I'm just somewhat surprised they're doing no scars Geralt, must be early in terms of the books they're adapting for this first season. I also imagine Geralt as a rather pale man as described in the books but the blending between skin tone and wig is not great on Cavill. Hopefully that wasn't just a screen test and they'll work more in the makeup and wig.
I don't believe the books ever described him having scars on his face.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Showrunners: We're adapting the books

Gamers: Sounds good it'll be just like the witcher 3

Showrunners: This is most definitely an adaptation of the book series

Gamers:Sounds good check out this photoshop of Henry Cavill as Witcher 3 Geralt

Showrunners: Here's the cast

Gamere: Hey, this doesn't look like the Witcher at all what gives?

Showrunners: Here's a makeup test

Gamers: D:< WHERE'S MUH BEARD
Meanwhile, in Literacy Land:

Readers: Sounds good it'll be just like the books

Gamere: Hey, this doesn't look like Sapkowski's descriptions at all what gives?

Gamers: UH... ON SECOND THOUGH, MAYBE GIVE HIM THE BEARD TO COVER UP THIS MILD-MANNERED MALE MODEL SITUATION HE HAS GOING ON THERE

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017

Gamers: Sounds good it'll be just like the witcher 3

Showrunners: This is most definitely an adaptation of the book series

Gamers:Sounds good check out this photoshop of Henry Cavill as Witcher 3 Geralt

Gamere: Hey, this doesn't look like the Witcher at all what gives?

Gamers: D:< WHERE'S MUH BEARD

lol

Deleted member 33515

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
bunch of nerds arguing about a beard

OoRLie0.jpg

Geralt was bearded in the first TV series and he was bearded in the movie as well. Get over yourselves.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
hair extensions are way too long and clean.

normally don't care about this kind of thing and in the show it will probably look fine but that is not what i'd show as a promo shot

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping it'll look better in the actual show but Cavill does not look good with really long hair in that style, the white color only makes it worse.

Oct 27, 2017
helps that the hair seems to be his (but dyed) while Cavill is clearly wearing a Halloween 3$ wig

I know Matt Damon wore a wig for that one movie where he fought dragons at the Great Wall of China or whatever, even did press tours in it but later said that it wasn't real. It looks extremely good though, they could do something like that for Henry and then just dye it white.

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Did I mention face? I can't remember. He has a big scar on his neck in the books right? He gets into a fight in the first book with a Stiga that gives him a scar... or am I miss remembering the first book? It's been a while.
I think that fight happens in the....I want to say second book? Sword of Destiny? If the series is starting with the Last Wish, he may not have that scar yet.

misho8723

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
I don't believe the books ever described him having scars on his face.

Yep, the scar over his eye is only in the games.. that's why Ciri in Witcher 3 ask him about her, because she never saw her before - https://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/6h8pj6/all_geralta_known_scars/

Face - Cockatrice Of Spalla (game lore, not in the books)
Chest - Pitchfork
Arm - Voydnoi ( A little Sacrifice )
Thigh / Abdominals - Nekker ( Something More )
Neck - Striga (?) .. maybe

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Well they should have based some of it on the games too. Literally millions of people was introduced to The Witcher from the game. Most of the fanfare came from the games not the books so you are going to get alot more of "thats not my triss" and "thats not yennefer" comments.

Fuck the games, as great as they are they're not canon and not what the show is based on.