Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

Wield overpowered weapons!

Aim carefully!

www.playstation.com

Helldivers™ 2 - PS5 and PS4 Games | PlayStation

Join the Helldivers to fight for freedom across a hostile galaxy in third-person shooter operations. Use crossplay to play with friends on PS5 and PC.

Definitely starting to sound like vehicles and mechs are gone from the game. I think that's a fairly poor design decision if so? I've seen a lot of folks already complaining about this.

I don't know, I think that sense of being ultra powerful in those vehicles and working together to maintain them was a big part of helldivers. They add to the danger of friendly fire too. They should be in and it's surprising that in a line where they're discussing the range of tools you can use, it only extends between airstrikes and turrets.

Steam page still mentions 2023, but the PS Blog no longer mentions the PC port this year.
What's up with that discrepancy?

I might be wrong on this but I think they prefer to keep the posts quite separate in general. They'll surely eventually have a whole article focusing on the PC version.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
I will not have a regular squad to play with but I am still very interested.

Hoping for a beta or network test.

Wing84

Nov 21, 2022
It's an AAA co-op game. Expect a $70 launch price.
Thankfully.

As someone who never played the first: what's the loop like? Like are you getting loot, leveling up, things like that, or is the completion of the mission the sole goal?
It's hard to say. It's like like a mix of old school Ghost Recon + Destiny + Diablo.

You gain points to unlock new aesthetics and load out options (which range from attack drones, medic drones, vehicles, mechs, guns, etc).

You start out by choosing planet to run a series of missions on. Each mission have you choose your team's drop zone, and each mission has mini missions which are represented as a point on the map. A mini missions can be blow up this hive nest, secure the briefcase (which forces the carrier to be slower and can only rely on a pistol and his/her teammates), get to a base and activate something via up, down, left, right type commands.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
Thankfully.

It's hard to say. It's like like a mix of old school Ghost Recon + Destiny + Diablo.

You gain points to unlock new aesthetics and load out options (which range from attack drones, medic drones, vehicles, mechs, guns, etc).

You start out by choosing planet to run a series of missions on. Each mission have you choose your team's drop zone, and each mission has mini missions which are represented as a point on the map. A mini missions can be blow up this hive nest, secure the briefcase (which forces the carrier to be slower and can only rely on a pistol and his/her teammates), get to a base and activate something via up, down, left, right type commands.

Ohhh, thanks! that sounds neat!

Feb 15, 2019
I might be wrong on this but I think they prefer to keep the posts quite separate in general. They'll surely eventually have a whole article focusing on the PC version.

Still hard to conclude.
blog.playstation.com

Helldivers 2 drops on PlayStation 5 later this year

Get ready to spread peace and liberty with extreme prejudice.

While obviously the headline of that is "Helldivers 2 drops on PlayStation 5 later this year", they still mentioned PC at the bottom of the article in the exact same way they didn't now for this article. It's even the same person in both articles! Could be an honest mistake, could also be quietly announcing it's delayed.

May 24, 2023
ToQfKjR.png

July 6, 2023
lXPn6c5.png

So yeah I am worried about a PC delay. If this doesn't come out day 1 on PC then that's a ton of hype completely gone from me.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Only 4 seconds of gameplay. 😩 At least I'm now leaning more towards what I thought before that the game doesn't have crosshairs but uses colored lasers for each player instead.

bbg_g

Jun 21, 2020
Is it known if split screen will be a thing?

Three player co-op is how my brother, in-law, and I played Helldivers for 200+ hours. I really want to play this with them, but am holding my breath expecting it to be one player per console.

Ugh I'm praying for at least 2 player split screen like you can with EDF. Playing locally with a friend and then together online with other friends is what really made the games shine for me.

Wing84

Nov 21, 2022
Ugh I'm praying for at least 2 player split screen like you can with EDF. Playing locally with a friend and then together online with other friends is what really made the games shine for me.
:: Rewatches the 4 second clip ::

Yeah, I don't foresee split screen, guys.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Still hard to conclude.
blog.playstation.com

Helldivers 2 drops on PlayStation 5 later this year

Get ready to spread peace and liberty with extreme prejudice.

While obviously the headline of that is "Helldivers 2 drops on PlayStation 5 later this year", they still mentioned PC at the bottom of the article in the exact same way they didn't now for this article. It's even the same person in both articles! Could be an honest mistake, could also be quietly announcing it's delayed.

May 24, 2023
ToQfKjR.png

July 6, 2023
lXPn6c5.png

So yeah I am worried about a PC delay. If this doesn't come out day 1 on PC then that's a ton of hype completely gone from me.

I think that's because the top one is the announcement trailer so they need to make folks aware that the game will be launching on both platforms, but beyond that I expect most of the marketing to be separate.

That's not to say that I don't think the PC version will be delayed. I think delays are always a reasonably likely and if one of them is then it's much more probable that it would be the PC version due to the additional issues that come from getting things running on all the different architecture. But I don't think Sony's blog posts / trailers missing mention of it is a reliable indicator.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Would've made sense to publish this with the co-op and combat blog post that went up four hours ago, but that's SIE.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
RelaxItsJustMe this trailer ends with coming to PC and PS5 2023 still. God bless.

Looks fun! Can't wait to check it out. Helldivers 1 was a blast with friends.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Add in a shoddily controlled biplane, weird arbitrary lava pools of death, and a creeping sense of dread, and you got Body Harvest 2!

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Now THIS is how you do a gameplay trailer. Get these people working on the next showcase.

The game itself looks absolutely phenomenal.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Game is looking amazing both visually and on the gameplay front. Love seeing enemies with armor so thick and tough it deflects weaker bullets.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Would this game be alright with randoms? Dunno how many friends I'll be able to convince going in on this one

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Looks pretty fun, I can see potential there although its not for me.
Would've made sense to publish this with the co-op and combat blog post that went up four hours ago, but that's SIE.
Theyve made a Threads post about it at the same time, so I think somewhere the marketing team chose to push the trailer until theyve sorted the API use.
Looks cool but I don't know about making "a turret" one of the highlights of the promo.
Theyve presented it a bit weirdly but i think the reason why they highlight features like that is because of their friendly fire always on approach. It makes these mecahnics somewhat more tactical and potentially funny/frustrating than your average co op shooter.

Oct 25, 2017
Theyve presented it a bit weirdly but i think the reason why they highlight features like that is because of their friendly fire always on approach. It makes these mecahnics somewhat more tactical and potentially funny/frustrating than your average co op shooter.
Oh yeah that's a good point. That should have been highlighted better, I guess.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I know some are holding onto hope for local co-op/splitscreen but looking at this gameplay.... really doubtful that'll be the case.

I didn't play the first Helldivers but did that one have jetpacks as well or is that new?

Wing84

Nov 21, 2022
I am unreasonably hyped for this game. The first was so damn fun. Played it for years.

I want a Helldivers figurine done in a SD Gundam proportion.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
This looks just awesome, I can't wait!

Looks cool but I don't know about making "a turret" one of the highlights of the promo.
I hated the turrets in the original but seeing it up close in action has me wanting to try it out so I think it worked.

Would this game be alright with randoms? Dunno how many friends I'll be able to convince going in on this one

Yes. Early on you might get people who don't know how to play but you will find good people. I played a lot of solo and mostly with randos with the first game. Actually, now is a great time to play the original cause you only find the diehard who are dedicated to it and not trying to troll. I booted it up with the first announcement and had a full team join me almost nonstop. I can't remember a single troll.

The original also had a SOS startegem that you could throw out to prioritize your game as an option to join.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I will definitely play it but it just doesn't look nearly as fun as the original. I understand why they had to go away from the top down aspect, but it's just not the same.