• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

EhPz7l-WAAAN8vY

Honestly some things look better and some don't. But overall i don't see "8K textures" there.

What would you even see an 8K texture on in this shot?

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Tech wise the remaster looks nice.. but yeah, not a fan of the new lighting direction they went with but I'm hoping that there are going to be mods that are going to fix this - my personal - issue that I have with this remaster

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
The distant LOD in that screenshot is impressive, but hasn't Crytek confirmed that the VTOL level is absent from the non-Switch versions as well? In which case, "Look at how far we can push our LOD system!" is a bizarrely tone-deaf flex.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I think the most impressive thing in this screenshot is the detail on the mountain side. Quite the leap from the original.
I think all other features they've shown in that tech trailer are kind of getting lost here. Only side-by-side gameplay footage will truly show the differences.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
The distant LOD in that screenshot is impressive, but hasn't Crytek confirmed that the VTOL level is absent from the non-Switch versions as well? In which case, "Look at how far we can push our LOD system!" is a bizarrely tone-deaf flex.
Damn, if true. It's not a very good level but it was one of the benchmark (CPU wise) moments of the original. I can imagine it being too much of a headache to rework, but I just thought that not even Saber Interactive could make it playable on the Switch.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The VTOL level is strange to me. Everybody seems to say it was a computer killer, but my memory of it was, the performance was pretty damn stable. The level was a bit "boring" and basic, but performance problems I just dont remember it being so, plenty of other levels however yeah, but not that one.

Think I was running at 8800GT and Q6600 at the time.

Nov 8, 2017
I missed that the whole remaster project is based on the PS3/360 version of the game, which didn't have the VTOL level among other things.

Yeah but it's not like being "based on" that version means they were just mailed a build of the PS3/360 version and nothing else from Crytek. They've updated and added in new features to the renderer based on updated CryEngine versions, so it's not like they couldn't in principle have ported Ascension to the game regardless of where it started.

I'm not expecting it, but it's possible.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, well, I'll be damned, it actually is an upgrade after all.

...But can we see some actual footage of this version? Or at least some confirmation of which version of the game (2007 CE2 or 2011 CE3) was used as the base for this Remaster? This matters for gameplay reasons.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Excited for this. Not the crysengine 5.0 overhaul I was dreaming of, but this is a start. And the switch version I already bought is great.

Excited to Max this out and see how it looks.
Even just the optimization is somthing to look forward to, as the game takes a pretty wild hit to FPS with just Marty Mcfly's RTGI and Reshade.

so this looking better than that, and likely running better too is already a win.

speaking of mods, for games that take advantage of RTX like this one, does that make it easier theoretically for a modded to add more RTX features at some point?

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is this coming to Steam?

Unfortunately not.
Tim Sweeney decided to free Crysis from the woes of a free market and paid money to make it exclusive to the EGS.
All while complaining about Apple having too much leverage over products and stating how important free markets are.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Unfortunately not.
Tim Sweeney decided to free Crysis from the woes of a free market and paid money to make it exclusive to the EGS.
All while complaining about Apple having too much leverage over products and stating how important free markets are.

Almost bit like Sweeney is blatant hypocrite who only wants what is good for him, rest is smoke screen.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Tried to match colors a bit more to this one and remove blueish tint. Sunlight intensity is much higher in the remake, so a bit hard to get equivalent setting.

ehpz7l-waaan8vyedit9wj6i.jpg
Why remove the Rayleigh scattering? That blue tint in the distance is what happens in real life. It's why the sky is blue and why anything at a far enough distance takes on a blue tint.

Air scatters light and produces the color blue. All surface air on Earth does this due to the make-up of our atmosphere, so if there's enough air between you and, say, a mountain, then that mountain with look blue as the air is essentially acting as a giant tinted lens between you and the mountain. It's why the opposing side of the Grand Canyon looks bluish compared to the side you're on.

Edit:

Here's a pic of what tree covered mountains look like in real life.
1-distant-mountains-allen-penton.jpg

Last edited:

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
So do we know yet that this is unadulterated Crysis made for modern hardware or is it 'cut down' but better looking?

I'll admit I don't really know what changes the PS3 version had other than a flying mission that's like almost entirely CPU bound or something.

mikel202

Jun 22, 2020
I will buy the game on PC if it's a remaster of the original one on PC, the last thing I want is to buy it and find out it's a remaster of the console version ported to PC.

Atilac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If that pic is of the first level on the beach judging the lighting conditions will be weird. That level goes to daytime from morning. It changes depending how long you dilly around.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Why remove the Rayleigh scattering? That blue tint in the distance is what happens in real life. It's why the sky is blue and why anything at a far enough distance takes on a blue tint.

Air scatters light and produces the color blue. All surface air on Earth does this due to the make-up of our atmosphere, so if there's enough air between you and, say, a mountain, then that mountain with look blue as the air is essentially acting as a giant tinted lens between you and the mountain. It's why the opposing side of the Grand Canyon looks bluish compared to the side you're on.

Edit:

Here's a pic of what tree covered mountains look like in real life.
1-distant-mountains-allen-penton.jpg
I genuinely feel a little bad for people who haven't seen mountains in real life and don't know about the blue haze

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
I think there's beta footage or pre=release footage out there that probably still looks better than the released game.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
To be fair, the blue haze is only visible at very long distances. At least that's what I've noticed during our random weekend hikes

TDrRSyvYmUs_YOmfl_UyO6t8yw0Orik8LsnzmTCLm_XYdXWIZkvcjFIZo9ailtWWn0wyDubzAG_jGbndmVz5mcFgjJgpQitZGOimLhzVIX9yDqSYkoOxkjPIhuFI-fXyxxkE8qvN9xofOfPP6gZ6N6uyr5tvTRYCGJKYT1H7y0SYzzXyAvzOFkkbiHx12Ic4O5rV66bpx-qepvyzaFZq2WH0ZNKCRIlI84LELA2qxHXmlhWNwzh7MSse7L1X8TrBhFkcUPFfTrG8-P_Dn8HgErifI0hXeQbnK0u1Cy8mUFZZZA-cvf4TkXpZlXuC2vre2tGMKthpZFwbFTYXV8Fx_awz-DDSuEdCZ4taRx0KTmBpxsv7-Ma3Ckd0_5oPpf9DYX8YIJk-djv8D72KL-NqmkNXabRM4lJIzIg0DvAglJNPGb9XB6l9G0TjZoOmjTPmoH7mGV-0u47Bdf-UyWnvRFyiFmNdROzxleLoz6B7VtaqWB0UaLNuDf05SZUtANV1ESERxlTRiZ5iTKHyN7OloTsYNu4M-2OIZ9a7o63hPxgyroLI8HU57XXVYkylHxwK_579kC-pAUGEdqLuAxd1W5_X7HVhvt5699bU0U3DSAvCaQLoRFZpq5wlUOsImLPVz_C4yENbez-dsiwMsBVnOWrIrRVhoHpyP4bc0Jbv4m5HCZiGYPp6Q7sfAP9uZg=w1266-h949-no
I live near the Appalachian mountains so I know distant mountains very well. I don't know enough about the physics to say whether the screenshot in the OP is accurate though

that's a beautiful shot btw

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
To be fair, the blue haze is only visible at very long distances. At least that's what I've noticed during our random weekend hikes

TDrRSyvYmUs_YOmfl_UyO6t8yw0Orik8LsnzmTCLm_XYdXWIZkvcjFIZo9ailtWWn0wyDubzAG_jGbndmVz5mcFgjJgpQitZGOimLhzVIX9yDqSYkoOxkjPIhuFI-fXyxxkE8qvN9xofOfPP6gZ6N6uyr5tvTRYCGJKYT1H7y0SYzzXyAvzOFkkbiHx12Ic4O5rV66bpx-qepvyzaFZq2WH0ZNKCRIlI84LELA2qxHXmlhWNwzh7MSse7L1X8TrBhFkcUPFfTrG8-P_Dn8HgErifI0hXeQbnK0u1Cy8mUFZZZA-cvf4TkXpZlXuC2vre2tGMKthpZFwbFTYXV8Fx_awz-DDSuEdCZ4taRx0KTmBpxsv7-Ma3Ckd0_5oPpf9DYX8YIJk-djv8D72KL-NqmkNXabRM4lJIzIg0DvAglJNPGb9XB6l9G0TjZoOmjTPmoH7mGV-0u47Bdf-UyWnvRFyiFmNdROzxleLoz6B7VtaqWB0UaLNuDf05SZUtANV1ESERxlTRiZ5iTKHyN7OloTsYNu4M-2OIZ9a7o63hPxgyroLI8HU57XXVYkylHxwK_579kC-pAUGEdqLuAxd1W5_X7HVhvt5699bU0U3DSAvCaQLoRFZpq5wlUOsImLPVz_C4yENbez-dsiwMsBVnOWrIrRVhoHpyP4bc0Jbv4m5HCZiGYPp6Q7sfAP9uZg=w1266-h949-no
Yeah it is hard to get a sense of scale in the image to know how far away that mountain is, but I think it's about this far away. The additional light reflecting off the water could increase the effect as there'd effectively be more light to scatter.
Rainy_Blue_Ridge-27527.jpg

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I don't think any of these screenshots are from the game? These were presented as promotion for CryEngine, as far as I recall.

And I mean, yes, they absolutely aimed for photorealism, but what kind of aesthetic they aimed for is not necessarily representative here.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I don't think any of these screenshots are from the game? These were presented as promotion for CryEngine, as far as I recall.

And I mean, yes, they absolutely aimed for photorealism, but what kind of aesthetic they aimed for is not necessarily representative here.
Yeah none of those are in the game as locations, and even most of the assets are not in Crysis. There is even some tech there that Crysis 1 does not have, like how the reflection looks on that river there. Crysis 1 sadly cannot do that.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
13 years later, still the same screen caps NOT from the actual game. I have seen those pictures so many times, lol