Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
My memory may be a bit foggy, but isn't Count Varley supposed to be a total POS who abuses Bernadetta in Three Houses?
Yes. Everytime anything related to her father comes up in Three Hopes, Bernadetta wants to avoid seeing him at all costs. It is pretty obvious even in the Three Hopes timeline she was abused by her father.

R.D.Blax

Oct 26, 2017
Finished Scarlet Blaze. Had a blast even if the ending was pretty abrupt

I find extremely funny that Thales and Rhea end up "killing" each other and we are like :"I guess our job is done"

My memory may be a bit foggy, but isn't Count Varley supposed to be a total POS who abuses Bernadetta in Three Houses?

Still is. Everybody hate him. Even the developer hate him. There is a reason why
We can just let him die in the last mission and everybody is like " Oh no. Anyway". Pretty sure it's the only "Protect someone mission" we can fail without game over lol

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Still is. Everybody hate him. Even the developer hate him. There is a reason why
We can just let him die in the last mission and everybody is like " Oh no. Anyway". Pretty sure it's the only "Protect someone mission" we can fail without game over lol
This is beautiful game design.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Hell the game even goes out of its way to repudiate the Bernie Yuri A support from Three Houses which suggests that Varley is maybe not as bad as Bernie thinks. Bernie and Dorothea's A support is basically a sequel to it where Bernie goes like 'nope it doesn't matter that my father 'protected' me because he still did all of that horrible shit to me and he obviously wasn't doing it for my sake either'

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
You know what's a pet peeve of mine? When people call Edelgard 'Empress' instead of Emperor. She's the head honcho, people are her wives not the other way around.

Master Milk

Oct 25, 2017
don't think anyone's in doubt that edelgard's in charge, never known anyone to imply that empress was a lesser term than emperor

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they add War Monk Dark Flyer and Valkyrie as DLC at some point. Also let's get an armored caster too so I can blow shit up as Edelgard wearing full plate mail like the universe intended.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm about 32 hours into Edlegard game and am loving it. As addictive and fun as these games have ever been.

Was curious just how much more I have to go, though. Was hoping to have it finished before Xenoblade, but it doesn't look like it's gonna happen.

At this point the 600 screens/reports that pop up post battle are really aggravating me, but it's really my only complaint, haha.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I'm about 32 hours into Edlegard game and am loving it. As addictive and fun as these games have ever been.

Was curious just how much more I have to go, though. Was hoping to have it finished before Xenoblade, but it doesn't look like it's gonna happen.

At this point the 600 screens/reports that pop up post battle are really aggravating me, but it's really my only complaint, haha.
What chapter are you on?

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
I finally finished Golden Wildfire and.. the route was pretty good and the ending was satisfying. I really dont see the complaints on this feeling incomplete in particular. Claude got exactly what he wanted, Rhea is dead and thus they dont have to be part of the war anymore. It really doenst matter if the war still continues for a while, its irrelevant to the Federation story. I guess they could have added ending texts on how everything got magically solved at the end just like in Three Houses but i always had problems with those, like Edelgard managed to reform the class system, no details how, she just did it magically. same with Claude, somehow he ended up as the king of Almyra in Verdan Wind, no dont ask us how

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Finished Azure Gleam. I liked that ending far more than Scarlet Blaze, I can say that.

Edelgard didn't really deserve to have her mind shattered like that, but it was a consequence of her own actions in starting the war against the church and Fodlan when it was really in her and everyone's best interests that she actually talk to the other factions about Thales. The church aided her in overthrowing Ludwig and were aware of the mole people due to Solon's outing. They would have and could have helped!

Certainly a better ending than, "Thales and Rhea are (maybe) dead. High five!"

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
I was pretty bummed to see a handful of added playable characters like Holst, Rodrigue and Monica, and even several unlockable playable characters like Rhea, Sothis, Aardvark and even Gatekeeper, but no playable Randolph, Fleche or Ladislava. Like.... what? Those three are my favorite secondary characters! Couldn't even have a one-off Paralogue with them!?

I was super happy to see they were all a bit more involved than in Three Houses, but would've loved to have them playable. Hell, they even have blue dots on the minimap while at your basecamp like other playable units! Ugh!

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
I was pretty bummed to see a handful of added playable characters like Holst, Rodrigue and Monica, and even several unlockable playable characters like Rhea, Sothis, Aardvark and even Gatekeeper, but no playable Randolph, Fleche or Ladislava. Like.... what? Those three are my favorite secondary characters! Couldn't even have a one-off Paralogue with them!?

I was super happy to see they were all a bit more involved than in Three Houses, but would've loved to have them playable. Hell, they even have blue dots on the minimap while at your basecamp like other playable units! Ugh!
Yeah them and Judith seemed like sure bets. Maybe DLC? But how would they balance it so each house gets comparable exclusive DLC characters? They could do Randolph and Ladislava, Judith and Nader, but I can't think of anyone missing from BL.

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
Yeah them and Judith seemed like sure bets. Maybe DLC? But how would they balance it so each house gets comparable exclusive DLC characters? They could do Randolph and Ladislava, Judith and Nader, but I can't think of anyone missing from BL.
Hey, it's not my fault they have a deficit of characters 🧐

Since they're all churchy they could at least have gotten Cyril I guess?

Edit: oh, duh, I forgot about Alois.

Last edited:

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Finished Azure Gleam. I liked that ending far more than Scarlet Blaze, I can say that.

Edelgard didn't really deserve to have her mind shattered like that, but it was a consequence of her own actions in starting the war against the church and Fodlan when it was really in her and everyone's best interests that she actually talk to the other factions about Thales. The church aided her in overthrowing Ludwig and were aware of the mole people due to Solon's outing. They would have and could have helped!

Certainly a better ending than, "Thales and Rhea are (maybe) dead. High five!"

If anything, that story decision validates Edelgard in 3 Houses a bit more
since if she wasn't willing to cooperate with them, they'd have mind-controlled her like they did here and the war would've started anyway except she wouldn't have gotten any of the good she wanted done.

Did you get the good ending or bad ending to Scarlet Blaze though? It has two endings.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
If anything, that story decision validates Edelgard in 3 Houses a bit more
since if she wasn't willing to cooperate with them, they'd have mind-controlled her like they did here and the war would've started anyway except she wouldn't have gotten any of the good she wanted done.

Did you get the good ending or bad ending to Scarlet Blaze though? It has two endings.
I got the good SB ending. It didn't feel like a strong ending and honestly the SB route as a whole left a sour taste.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I got the good SB ending. It didn't feel like a strong ending and honestly the SB route as a whole left a sour taste.

Huh, why? Because of Edelgard's politics?

It's basically Crimson Flower
but Edelgard is no longer complacent with the villains and she gets to take them down.

Only thing missing was her crushing Dimitri but it's a foregone conclusion in the good ending

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Huh, why? Because of Edelgard's politics?

It's basically Crimson Flower
but Edelgard is no longer complacent with the villains and she gets to take them down.

Only thing missing was her crushing Dimitri but it's a foregone conclusion in the good ending
That's the thing. I don't like Crimson Flower.

And the whole notion that Edelgard would spend two years planning an attack on the Church without ever telling them about Thales remains absolutely daft to me.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
That's the thing. I don't like Crimson Flower.

And the whole notion that Edelgard would spend two years planning an attack on the Church without ever telling them about Thales remains absolutely daft to me.

I mean the Church has almost all the information that Edelgard knows
about them at that point and Rhea didn't tell anyone about them for 2 years either as Dimitri only learned about them a while later. Sharing more might reveal that Edelgrd plans to take the Church out too.

Ending feudalism just takes priority in Edelgard's mind.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I mean the Church has almost all the information that Edelgard knows
about them at that point and Rhea didn't tell anyone about them for 2 years either as Dimitri only learned about them a while later. Sharing more might reveal that Edelgrd plans to take the Church out too.

Ending feudalism just takes priority in Edelgard's mind.
Then she is very bad at prioritizing.

And also it's clear through interactions in Three Hopes that Rhea wasn't aware it was Those Who Slither at work until information was brought to her two years later. Rhea doesn't have any secret knowledge of the mole people's infiltrations of the Empire or Kingdom regardless of how much she knew about the Agarthans themselves.

And Edelgard still didn't tell anyone. Not Rhea, not Claude, not Dimitri. Hell, in AG, she only tells Dimitri about Thales right before he whisks her away.

Edelgard's politics don't concern me. What does is that she is a warmongering fool who had two years to talk to anyone and compare notes, and she doesn't even make the attempt. The Church provided Edelgard direct aid to take back power in Adrestia, and her repayment is putting a serial child abuser in charge of the reopened Southern Church and starting a war.

Mar 30, 2019

And also it's clear through interactions in Three Hopes that Rhea wasn't aware it was Those Who Slither at work until information was brought to her two years later. Rhea doesn't have any secret knowledge of the mole people's infiltrations of the Empire or Kingdom regardless of how much she knew about the Agarthans themselves.

And Edelgard still didn't tell anyone. Not Rhea, not Claude, not Dimitri. Hell, in AG, she only tells Dimitri about Thales right before he whisks her away.

Edelgard's politics don't concern me. What does is that she is a warmongering fool who had two years to talk to anyone and compare notes, and she doesn't even make the attempt. The Church provided Edelgard direct aid to take back power in Adrestia, and her repayment is putting a serial child abuser in charge of the reopened Southern Church and starting a war.

She put the child abuser at this position BECAUSE she can protect Bernadetta that way and because she knows he is a weakling who will do everything she says. Claiming she "put a child abuser at charge" totally is not what her intention is. She actually does know that this position will make him a target for assassins. Also how is he a "serial" child abuser?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
She put the child abuser at this position BECAUSE she can protect Bernadetta that way and because she knows he is a weakling who will do everything she says. Claiming she "put a child abuser at charge" totally is not what her intention is. She actually does know that this position will make him a target for assassins. Also how is he a "serial" child abuser?
Maybe serial is the wrong wording, but:

Weakling though he is, he was put in charge of a denomination of the Church and then installed at Garreg Mach in that same role. And while it was done largely as a form of punishment to him personally, it was still irresponsible to give Gregoire that level of authority in an organization central to the religious faith of so many.

There is nothing to my knowledge in the game that specifies how Edelgard used him as a puppet beyond the act of making him Bishop and she seems largely unconcerned with his handling of his specific responsibilities.

And on top of that, Bernadetta is still terrified of the prospect of being in his vicinity.

Seeing Gregoire suffer and be miserable every literal moment he's on screen is delicious. I feast on his agony. Beyond his deserved personal suffering, however, and in context of the larger picture, I think it was a mistake to give him the duty Edelgard foisted on him.

Mar 30, 2019
Maybe serial is the wrong wording, but:

Weakling though he is, he was put in charge of a denomination of the Church and then installed at Garreg Mach in that same role. And while it was done largely as a form of punishment to him personally, it was still irresponsible to give Gregoire that level of authority in an organization central to the religious faith of so many.

There is nothing to my knowledge in the game that specifies how Edelgard used him as a puppet beyond the act of making him Bishop and she seems largely unconcerned with his handling of his specific responsibilities.

And on top of that, Bernadetta is still terrified of the prospect of being in his vicinity.

Seeing Gregoire suffer and be miserable every literal moment he's on screen is delicious. I feast on his agony. Beyond his deserved personal suffering, however, and in context of the larger picture, I think it was a mistake to give him the duty Edelgard foisted on him.
Uh, did we play a different game? Bernadetta is quiet happy because her dad is not at home anymore and she can be more free now. I personally think it was the right choice because of that. She had no legal reason to punish him or put him into prison because he didn't rebelled against her, so she had to choose a more indirect punishment. They never implied ingame that Gregoire had any real influence on his own despite his position

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Uh, did we play a different game? Bernadetta is quiet happy because her dad is not at home anymore and she can be more free now. I personally think it was the right choice because of that. She had no legal reason to punish him or put him into prison because he didn't rebelled against her, so she had to choose a more indirect punishment. They never implied ingame that Gregoire had any real influence on his own despite his position
Bernadetta is still afraid of him when you talk to her when the army is headed toward the monastery. And also, at minimum, Edelgard being the Emperor could just strip Gregoire of his titles and put him under house arrest as she did in Three Houses.

There was never any need to keep him in any office

Mar 30, 2019
Bernadetta is still afraid of him when you talk to her when the army is headed toward the monastery. And also, at minimum, Edelgard being the Emperor could just strip Gregoire of his titles and put him under house arrest as she did in Three Houses.

There was never any need to keep him in any office

In Three Houses she never created an Anti-Pope so it wasn't necessary. And putting him under House Arrest would mean he is still allways around Bernadetta and her mom

The Awesomest

Mar 3, 2018
Augh, I need to vent.

I'm getting close to the end of Golden Wildfire, and two extra missions popped up on the map. I haven't missed any yet because I always make a beeline for them. This time I figured, I've got time, I'll do another lower-leveled mission first. The extra mission counter goes to 1, I finish the area mission, and now it's gone. The next one will go away once I do its area mission.

I tried to reload my save to before I did that lower-level mission, but out saved after it thanks to my muscle memory. I wanted to fight some monsters and now I'm too bummed to play :'(

EDIT: They regenerate! hooray!

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some quick thoughts on the game

Shez is the arguably the best FE protagonist if we don't count the three lords. Making them voiced obviously did wonders but they genuinely have good chemistry and good story moments peppered throughout each route. I'm quite fond of them.

AG was very good. I think the people saying Dimitri is boring compared to his 3H variant weren't paying attention to his dialogue. He's in many respects, more brutal, more decisive and just as compelling and tragic as before. Aside from the abrupt ending (which all routes suffer from) and decisions regarding you know who, it was excellent.

Scarlet Blaze was also very good, but let down by Edelgard being an uninteresting lead, relative to the other two. They gloss over her motivations from FE3H, and she doesn't grow, develop or face mental hardships. The core of the character is very good and her supports are excellent as usual, however, and it's great that she finally has her own route. The discourse is pointless because the whole point of her character was "how far she'd go for immediate societal reformation" and the answer is always "very."

I have not played GW yet, though I think the war-time politics in 3 Hopes are substantially better wtitten than 3 Houses which suffered massively from glossing over crucial characters/moments/etc with "oh you just missed them, they were offscreen"

Great and fun game

I think there's an incredibly simple and satisfying answer to this

Because she doesn't want to work with the Church. She doesn't respect the church's legitimatecy or Rhea and wants them out of the way. Her non cooperative nature is central to her character. She is a revanchist and has openly stated it would be better if Dimitri and Claude died.

That's the point. There's no appeal to games like this every lord is the same boring do-gooder or "safe and pleasing". Scarlet Blaze only leaves a sour taste insofar in that it doesn't go far enough with her imo. It sounds like you just don't want a lord who is relentlessly brutal devious and that's a shame because she contrasts with the others very well. Like I think it's a very good thing we get a Fire Emblem where the protagonist isn't some generic flawless do-gooder like Alm or Marth and his clones

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Some quick thoughts on the game

Shez is the arguably the best FE protagonist if we don't count the three lords. Making them voiced obviously did wonders but they genuinely have good chemistry and good story moments peppered throughout each route. I'm quite fond of them.

AG was very good. I think the people saying Dimitri is boring compared to his 3H variant weren't paying attention to his dialogue. He's in many respects, more brutal, more decisive and just as compelling and tragic as before. Aside from the abrupt ending (which all routes suffer from) and decisions regarding you know who, it was excellent.

Scarlet Blaze was also very good, but let down by Edelgard being an uninteresting lead, relative to the other two. They gloss over her motivations from FE3H, and she doesn't grow, develop or face mental hardships. The core of the character is very good and her supports are excellent as usual, however, and it's great that she finally has her own route. The discourse is pointless because the whole point of her character was "how far she'd go for immediate societal reformation" and the answer is always "very."

I have not played GW yet, though I think the war-time politics in 3 Hopes are substantially better wtitten than 3 Houses which suffered massively from glossing over crucial characters/moments/etc with "oh you just missed them, they were offscreen"

Great and fun game

I think there's an incredibly simple and satisfying answer to this

Because she doesn't want to work with the Church. She doesn't respect the church's legitimatecy or Rhea and wants them out of the way. Her non cooperative nature is central to her character. She is a revanchist and has openly stated it would be better if Dimitri and Claude died.

That's the point. There's no appeal to games like this every lord is the same boring do-gooder or "safe and pleasing". Scarlet Blaze only leaves a sour taste insofar in that it doesn't go far enough with her imo. It sounds like you just don't want a lord who is relentlessly brutal devious and that's a shame because she contrasts with the others very well. Like I think it's a very good thing we get a Fire Emblem where the protagonist isn't some generic flawless do-gooder like Alm or Marth and his clones
I'd say it's more Three Hopes doesn't want to paint Edelgard as an overt antagonist and does a very clumsy job of watering down her actions compared to Three Houses.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say it's more Three Hopes doesn't want to paint Edelgard as an overt antagonist and does a very clumsy job of watering down her actions compared to Three Houses.

Because she isn't an antagonist. How can she be in her own route? Your antagonists in SB are the Kingdom, Church and TWSITD.

I think 3 Hopes does a much better job of making her actions seem antagonistic from the other side though. You have Dimitri saying he agrees with her reforms but disagreeing with her means of implementing and how naive she's being about the people of Faerghus. These are interesting character dynamics. Also the death scenes on the Faerghus side are all very tragic as well. It hurts to push forward with her vision, which gives the route weight.

The alternative is her being beholden to poorly written mole people who force her hand at every turn and have her sign off on cartoonish village burning (when the biggest appeal is clashing of ideals instead of boring good vs evil). There's also no "the mole people nuked me so i will lie to my allies about it" or "I was the flame emperor but we're going to avoid that.

In Scarlet Blaze, you're playing as a dictator with a vision for the world. That's a cool setup because a lot of games shy away from that and are more obsessed with the status quo. Whether you agree or not, it's still admirable the game has that kind of route instead of having you only beat up mole people.

I think FE3H glosses over how bad imperialism but this is FE, it's something Fire Emblem has been consequently guilty of so it's nothing new.

Edelgard's problem is that FE3H isn't fully equipped to handle her kind of character or really challenging her like say Dimitri (or even Hubert/Ferdinand who get arcs). It's a flawed experience but still worthwhile, and one I'll miss. Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude compliment each extremely well.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Because she isn't an antagonist. How can she be in her own route? Your antagonists in SB are the Kingdom, Church and TWSITD.

I think 3 Hopes does a much better job of making her actions seen antagonistic from the other side. You have Dimitri saying he agrees with her reforms but disagreeing with her means of implementing and how naive she's being about the people of Faerghus. These are interesting character dynamics.

The alternative is her being beholden to poorly written mole people who force her hand at every turn and have her sign off on cartoonish village burning (when the biggest appeal is clashing of ideals instead of boring good vs evil). There's also no "the mole people nuked me so i will lie to my allies about it" or "I was the flame emperor but we're going to avoid that.

In Scarlet Blaze, you're playing as a dictator with a vision for the world. That's a cool setup because a lot of games shy away from that and are more obsessed with the status quo. Whether you agree or not, it's still admirable the game has that kind of route instead of having you only beat up mole people.

I think FE3H glosses over how bad imperialism but this is FE, it's something Fire Emblem has been consequently guilty of so it's nothing new.

Edelgard's problem is that FE3H isn't fully equipped to handle her kind of character or really challenging her like say Dimitri (or even Hubert/Ferdinand who get arcs). It's a flawed experience but still worthwhile, and one I'll miss. Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude compliment each extremely well.
Edelgard spends 90% of her route dealing with the consequences of thinking it would be a genius idea to attack two nations on opposite fronts at once, plus an internal rebellion.

She just comes off as a fool to me. I don't like Crimson Flower and Scarlet Blaze feels like it wants to be a kinder, gentler CF. But the moment I beat it, I was just left with an empty feeling and moved on to Azure Gleam.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Edelgard spends 90% of her route dealing with the consequences of thinking it would be a genius idea to attack two nations on opposite fronts at once, plus an internal rebellion.

She just comes off as a fool to me. I don't like Crimson Flower and Scarlet Blaze feels like it wants to be a kinder, gentler CF. But the moment I beat it, I was just left with an empty feeling and moved on to Azure Gleam.

Taking on two fronts at the same time that happens in real life, though. Edelgard had a plan and it backfired. Consequences are good for a protagonists to face, instead of always being right and winning every fight like every other FE lord.

Her fights are messy and it gives the route intrigue and suspense. One thing I didn't like about Azure Gleam was how you spent too much time quelling the rebellions from the southern lords. Forward momentum helps in a game like this imo.

Idk I just can't relate at all when we have so many good moments like Shez proving his trust to Edelgard/Hubert, Ferdinand's arc and resolution with his father, the solid supports all around, and the increasing desperation of the Kingdom as you push them into a corner. It just feels like you shouldn't have bothered if the investment in the cast was already this low.

Edit: Wait why play it before Azure Gleam

Last edited:

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Taking on two fronts at the same time that happens in real life, though. Edelgard had a plan abd it backfired. Plus consequences are good for a protagonists to face, instead of always being right and winning every fight like every other FE lord.

Her fights are messy and it gives the route intrigue and suspense. One thing I didn't like about Azure Gleam was how you spent too much time quelling the rebellions from the southern lords. Forward momentum helps in a game like this

Idk I just can't relate at all when we have so many good moments like Shez proving his trust to Edelgard/Hubert, Ferdinand's arc and resolution with his father, the solid supports all around, and the increasing desperation of the Kingdom as you push them into a corner. It just feels like you shouldn't have bothered if the investment in the cast was already this low

Edit: Wait why play it before Azure Gleam
I played it first because I love many of the Black Eagles even though I don't like Edelgard herself. Ferdinand, Dorothea, Bernie, and Petra are all among my favorites, and I was ride or die with the whole crew during Silver Snow.

As for Azure Gleam, I don't have as much fondness for the Blue Lions, but I still like them a lot, and while they do spend a lot of time dealing with internal issues, overall, I just felt Azure Gleam was a better overall story, and a more interesting alternate take on Dimitri compared to the Three Hopes Edelgard.

I just can't get over the fact that Edelgard had two years where she could have told anyone. It didn't need to be the Church. It could have been Dimitri or Claude. She could have told anyone about the mole people, and she just doesn't. In fact, there's no substantial plot development in the intervening two years other than "OK, we're going to attack the Church now."

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played it first because I love many of the Black Eagles even though I don't like Edelgard herself. Ferdinand, Dorothea, Bernie, and Petra are all among my favorites, and I was ride or die with the whole crew during Silver Snow.

As for Azure Gleam, I don't have as much fondness for the Blue Lions, but I still like them a lot, and while they do spend a lot of time dealing with internal issues, overall, I just felt Azure Gleam was a better overall story, and a more interesting alternate take on Dimitri compared to the Three Hopes Edelgard.

I just can't get over the fact that Edelgard had two years where she could have told anyone. It didn't need to be the Church. It could have been Dimitri or Claude. She could have told anyone about the mole people, and she just doesn't. In fact, there's no substantial plot development in the intervening two years other than "OK, we're going to attack the Church now."

That is... A very interesting response honestly, I didn't expect that. Most people stay pretty close to their house lines, so I suppose I'll give you my respect there

There's no reason to tell anyone about the mole people because Dimitri and Claude are her enemies, and any destabilizing force would make conquering their respective kingdoms much easier. Hell that's LITERALLY what happens in Faerghus with Cornelia! Especially in base 3 Houses. Her voice and appearance distract from the fact that she's just like past FE Emperors like Walhart, only less stupid and cartoonishly evil.

In fact her only character development moment in the main story happens when she goes against her better nature, when she spares Dimitri and Claude in the Good end of the route. She admits it would be better for her if they died, but decides against it. Her supports with the two house lords did a good job of foreshadowing this moment.

Overall though, she's just cold and calculating, though no doubt Hubert has influence here as well. What's uncharacteristic about her this time around is that she actively works to save those allied with her instead of letting them die, which I thought was a neat touch. Meanwhile Dimitri has his amazing campaign and against the corrupt elements of his Kingdom that requires him to tap into his darker side. It's awesome how 3 Hopes contrasts these two at every turn

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
A general question regarding training at the Training Instructor and the stats that come with it:

Lets take for exampe Hubert, a magic user. Hubert is a magic user by default and I will probably mostly use him as a dark mage. Does it have any benefit to additionally train him as a fighter or mercenary? Does he gain stat bonuses from those physical combat classes that carry over when using him as a dark mage?

Asking because otherwise the training slot would be wasted, but I already maxed out everyone on their standard/ recommended classes that I have unlocked so far.

Master Milk

Oct 25, 2017
A general question regarding training at the Training Instructor and the stats that come with it:

Lets take for exampe Hubert, a magic user. Hubert is a magic user by default and I will probably mostly use him as a dark mage. Does it have any benefit to additionally train him as a fighter or mercenary? Does he gain stat bonuses from those physical combat classes that carry over when using him as a dark mage?

Asking because otherwise the training slot would be wasted, but I already maxed out everyone on their standard/ recommended classes that I have unlocked so far.

i think the effects of character stats are understated compared to the effects of a good weapon's stats, so if you care about stats you want to focus on getting a good weapon first

if your character is only attacking with magic, then no, physical strength isn't gonna do much good, and vice versa

the character stats have a max and there are items in the game that can help you hit that max, if training from level one in the best class didn't already push the character to the max

LoboRundas

Oct 25, 2017

It can help get additional skills you can use on him independently from his class, there's useful stuff peppered around all over the skill tree. I would recommend leveling up other classes with everyone, starting from those close to their recommended (in Hubert's case, all of the magic classes first).

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Finally wrapped this up after 50 hours (just did the the Scarlet Blaze playthrough)

I suppose this is true for a lot of musou games, but for as 'simple' as the combat can feel, man does it feel super cathartic to mow down hundreds of enemies. I played most of the game as Shez and I was basically a one woman army on most of these levels lol.

And speaking of Shez, really have to say the decision to move to a voiced protagonist definitely made the character much more endearing than Byleth was for me in Three Houses, and in turn, probably made me enjoy playing through the story more as well. Really enjoyed the voice work, and felt it also made the support conversations feels more natural with the back and forth dialog.

Also kind of digged how 'Three Housey' this felt despite being a different style of combat. Between building up support conversations, training, chores, cooking, it was nice to have different things to do in between battles. I am genuinely impressed how many voiced support conversations they manage to cram into these games lol.
And while this isn't a pure strategy game per se, I did like the concept of sending different units to accomplish different objectives during a level.

I do wish most battles let you take more than 4 units into battle. I was a bit surprised that all the levels don't let you bring 8 units into battle like the end of chapter battles. Maybe they felt the side missions just weren't built to have that many units in play, which is probably true, as the game on normal isn't particularly difficult. But at the same time, it did feel like a bit of a waste to have 'recruited' all these units by the end of the game, and feeling like I didn't have the opportunity to use a lot of them as much as I'd like.

I also wouldn't have minded if the story was a bit shorter, though I'm probably was a bit slow in going through the game. I know you don't have to do all the side battles to unlock the end of chapter mission, but they always felt 'short enough' and the rewards were good enough that I wound up doing all of them. I suppose they add up over time, along with listening to all the support conversations, paralogues, etc. I feel something closer to 30 hours probably would have been the ideal length for me, though I realize a lot of folks probably did finish closer to that.

All in all, really enjoyed this. Game was definitely a pleasant surprise to me as it wasn't on my radar until I checked out the demo before release. Wound up digging the gameplay and the voiced protagonist just added a lot of personality to the story for me. Excited to play Engage next year.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really enjoying everything about this game except the battles, haha. I'm just so bad at Mosou. I never know what I should be focusing on and suddenly i've failed for some reason. Love the stuff between battles, its great being with these characters again.

One thing for sure though, this has me very hyped for Engage.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the necro bump, just finished the game and loved every second of it and now I'm just sad that the DLC dream seems to be over. :(