Which faction do you think had the right approach to the conflict?

• The Church of Seiros

Votes: 32 4.3%
  • The Kingdom of Faerghus

Votes: 100 13.4%
  • The Leicester Alliance

Votes: 347 46.6%
  • The Adrestian Empire

Votes: 235 31.6%
  • Those Who Slither In The Dark

Votes: 30 4.0%

• Total voters

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Oh boy, this won't go well.

In the end, no one is a saint in Three Houses.

The church? Lead by an insane dragon that's doing the same shit as the Slitherers. Any opposition is forcefully crushed.
The only opposition we see in the game Rhea crushes is the Western Church who tried to kill her AND the students.
Shamir openly doesn't believe in Sothis but she's still one of Rhea's most trusted allies.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Edelgard is basically your average misinformed far-left/far-right college student who thinks that burning the system to the ground and replacing it with one of their own is the only way to solve pressing social issues (which is ironic, given that Part 1 of Three Houses pretty much takes place in Fire Emblem's equivalent of a college), but given actual power. Would her plans have worked if she succeeded? Possibly. Would it be that much of an improvement to Fodlan, especially given the human cost of achieving those plans? Probably not, given the nature of the Church of Seiros.

In that regards, she's a very well written villain. Notice the use of the term villain.

In other words, Edelgard did everything wrong.

Edit: Edelgard's supports with Manuela and Ferdinand does give credence to the possibility that her system could work, but the issue of the human cost required to get there, and whether it would have been that much of an improvement still exists.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
How was Dimitri persistent in wanting to kill Edelgard? He opens his hand out to help her up and she stabs him.

Can anyone tell me what the Kingdom of Faerghus are up to during Claude's route?
Before Rodrigue's death Dimitri is pretty damn persistent.

I'd assume the implication was the Kingdom was pretty much up to the same thing as they are in the Kingdom route, just without having their base in the Monastery. My evidence for that is the fact that you see them at the battle of Gronder Field, and that same thing happens in the Kingdom Route. I know it's a flimsy line of logic for that, but the best we really get.

That does remind me though, on the Church route, it kind of bothered me they had Dimitri show up briefly toward the end and then disappear, and not really explain that. I was kind of hoping that would be explained in another route but it never was.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

When you destroy the church and bring peace, freedom, justice, and security to your new empire

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Edelgard's motives are ultimately wrong because the Church/Rhea is actually against the use of Crests but can't do anything to solve the issue. They don't really have the power to rule to Fodlan, the Knights of Serios are probably the weakest army in Fodlan.
The real best way to fix Fodlan is to let Edelgard and Rhea explain each other their motives and then destroy TWSID.

I don't entirely disagree (leaving aside the fact that Edel and Rhea would never get to talking frankly without changing the entire backstory), but Rhea, at least at the beginning, doesn't give a fuck about anything except bringing Sothis back (as Sothis, not as an avatar/Byleth). Having her come to terms with Sothis not 'coming back' would be a huge issue, not to mention Edelgard's having worked with, however distasteful, TWSITD.

Edelgard's intentions are admirable, but yeah, even as an Edelgard supporter, the writing on BE-E definitely shows its weakness in being underdeveloped/the last route to be developed.

Her route/storyline definitely needed more polish - the game sets up much moreso for BE-Church than it does to justify BE-E.

Would her plans have worked if she succeeded? Possibly. Would it be that much of an improvement to Fodlan, especially given the human cost of achieving those plans? Probably not, given the nature of the Church of Seiros.

Obviously there's no 'canon' ending (and the fact that each ending is 'good' for each route), but Edelgard's route specifically mentions that her reforms and such did take place, and were successful.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine you're fighting for your emperor, and you look over and she transforms into a demonic Final Fantasy end boss abomination. "uh oh... are we the bad guys?"

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I back the empire in the end mostly because her ballad "edge of dawn" pretty much spells out for the player why the game and all of the campaigns turn out the way they do

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London

I'd assume the implication was the Kingdom was pretty much up to the same thing as they are in the Kingdom route, just without having their base in the Monastery. My evidence for that is the fact that you see them at the battle of Gronder Field, and that same thing happens in the Kingdom Route. I know it's a flimsy line of logic for that, but the best we really get.

That does remind me though, on the Church route, it kind of bothered me they had Dimitri show up briefly toward the end and then disappear, and not really explain that. I was kind of hoping that would be explained in another route but it never was.

Yep, one of my only issues with the game was that the Leicester Alliance/Kingdom of Faerghus kinda go awol in eachother's routes. Like, are you telling me that the heads of house Gautier, Galatea and Fraldarius just disappeared quietly when the Empire rolled in?

Deleted member 69771

getting threads like these monthly and people having good arguments for every path show how good the story and characters are in this game

i played all 4 paths and still can't choose one that was "right". i love it

Timelord19

One Winged Slayer
Aug 21, 2018
Mallorca, Spain
Edelgard basically closes the borders of Fodlan after getting her way.

Dimitri's Path doesn't solve Fodlans issues at its core with TWSID.

So it's either Rhea or Claude. I enjoy Edelgard as a fictional character but no doubt someone like her in real life would be considered unjust.

Eeeeh the first statement is false, after her mission fighting Nader she specificaly states that after the war she want to open borders with the rest of nations.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
I don't entirely disagree (leaving aside the fact that Edel and Rhea would never get to talking frankly without changing the entire backstory), but Rhea, at least at the beginning, doesn't give a fuck about anything except bringing Sothis back (as Sothis, not as an avatar/Byleth). Having her come to terms with Sothis not 'coming back' would be a huge issue, not to mention Edelgard's having worked with, however distasteful, TWSITD.

Edelgard's intentions are admirable, but yeah, even as an Edelgard supporter, the writing on BE-E definitely shows its weakness in being underdeveloped/the last route to be developed.

Her route/storyline definitely needed more polish - the game sets up much moreso for BE-Church than it does to justify BE-E.

Obviously there's no 'canon' ending (and the fact that each ending is 'good' for each route), but Edelgard's route specifically mentions that her reforms and such did take place, and were successful.
I think a better comparison would have been if Edelgard's war was required for her reforms to take place on a large scale. Sylvain's ending gives credence to the idea that it wouldn't have been, but then again, it presumably was only successful on a small scale.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Edelgard is an imperialist through and through. Her excuses for launching a war of conquest are either exaggerated (crest system is bad, but a rich people problem isn't worth getting thousands of commoners pointlessly killed for) or literally made up from nothing (church did not create the Kingdom, and in fact is probably what saved the Empire when they were losing). She's evil on all routes, including the route where she's the hero and stumbles onto a good ending. The only good thing she ever did was force Rhea and the church to actually start ruling Fodlan like she accused them of doing.

The Church has its issues for sure, but they're easily the greatest force for good in Fodlan. They're the ones trying to keep everyone from fighting each other and encourage nobles to get closer to each other to discourage pointless conflict. They're also the main group routing bandits and doing something about the underprivileged, though there has to be a better way to take care of people than Abyss. When the Empire wanted them out, they mostly pulled out without stirring up conflict. Rhea should've put her foot down on corrupt nobles more, but overall I can see why she made even her bad decisions.

The Kingdom has the most evil action in its backstory out of the good factions, but at least its new leaders realized that the Duscur genocide was terrible and that they should do something about it. Outside of that they promote the most toxic culture, but are also the faction that cares the most about their ordinary civilians. While not really the most moral faction since they've got plenty of issues to figure out, they're probably got the best ending overall. The only good person to die is like, Rodrigue. TWS's leadership is routed, and thanks to Hapi their main force is crushed as well. Rhea is retired, which is probably for the best, but still around to give advice when needed.

The Alliance is a joke faction who outright wants to get absorbed by some other Fodlan power. Even when they win they still make the leader of the church their leader. TWS is a joke faction that flip flops between masters of disguises with missiles that no one can fight and complete idiots who shoot themselves in the foot more often than not.

Overall Church (especially under Byleth) and Kingdom in the present day relatively good. Empire and TWS bad. Alliance who cares.

Bovine

Oct 29, 2017
My main problem with Edelgard is that I believe she could have done her reforms without the imperialistic conquest of Faerghus and Leicester, which is what lost me. It is clear that she, likely instilled by her father, believed she should control all of Fodlan, even though those countries had been independent for hundreds of years. It is shown that the Church has no power in Adrestia anyways, so they won't try to stop her. Maybe if the Slitherers were shown to be more of a threat, but they go down so easily (by accident in AM) that they aren't very threatening at all.

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
You got the Blue Lion route wrong.
Yeah, it was by far the shortest write-up, didn't acknowledge what actually happened with Dimitri's character (to the point where it even said that he still wanted to kill Edelgard when that clearly wasn't the case) and didn't acknowledge the fact that the crest system of value was completely taken away! This is, at the very least, far better than the church route outcome.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
One of these days I'll actually find time to play the other routes and see why people could possibly think Edelgard is wrong. I was spoiled for the Flame Emperor (was looking at voice actors...) early on so that probably influenced things, but I find it hard to see how she could be worse than the others even if she is (apparently) technically wrong about the exact nature of our obsessed religious dragon overlords...

A lot of other people's reactions when they only knew other routes just really felt like they completely assumed she was 100% on board with Slither, compared to "I don't want to work with them but my uncle's involved and they're extremely powerful so we have to go along with it, also we're going to fight them off-screen after the game I guess".

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
One of these days I'll actually find time to play the other routes and see why people could possibly think Edelgard is wrong. I was spoiled for the Flame Emperor (was looking at voice actors...) early on so that probably influenced things, but I find it hard to see how she could be worse than the others even if she is (apparently) technically wrong about the exact nature of our obsessed religious dragon overlords...
Edelgard is the one that kicks off the war arc by deciding to just attack the Church and try to conquer Fodlan instead of, you know, attempting literally anything else less drastic.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Edelgard is right but her methods were somewhat extreme. Only through Byleth was her plan any reasonable. Basically, without him her plan would be unfinished and they look bad but with him then hey, I get it and she was right. She was just aggressive about it which turns a lot of people off. We gotta remember that this is an anime-like world so her attitude being the way it is makes sense.

Rhea? Definitely not.

Dimitri? No.

Claude on the other hand, if there was any story that was about the "ultimate good" and "good guys" and things that are "good", that sort of thing, it would be his path.

So I'm going with Edelgard and Claude. Just depends which you prefer.

Blackquill

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Edelgard is basically the perfect definition of fascism :
- She makes uninformed decisions (she acts based on what the adrestrian empire knows not the truth).
- She is absolutionist, she is the only one to decides, her subjects serve her purposes.
- She wants to spread her ideology as far as possible, destroying other ways of thinking (you can say that she is open to Almyra but honestly, once she sees the diferrences in their beliefs she would do the same to Almyra as she did to Fodlan).
- In opposition, others are wrong.
- She uses force against others no matter who they are (what was the point of fighting Claude, the guy had the same opinion about the Church).
- Wants to conquer everything because she believes she is right

More like she's fighting against one.

Edelgard isn't perfect but her goals of fighting the status quo for a more equal world are right.

Fighting a fascist regime doesn't prevent you for being a fascist yourself

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Yes, but the whole point is that he changes. In the ending scene, he offers Edelgard his hand and she literally stabs him. You didn't ever say that he changed, in fact, your write-up said that he remained persistent in killing her after the Battle of Grondor and completely failed to mention the incredibly important ending scene.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Who was "right?" Well Claude just wants to see Almyrans and Duscans and the people beyond Fodlan live harmoniously. In a democratic capitalism / mercantilism. Granted, Dimitri kind of wants that too, only with a theocratic monarchy and more isolationist.

And Edelgarde wants to be the lesser of two evils as a dictator railing against TWSITD.

And she's kind of right about the moral failings of the Central church. Rhea executes people without trials. She killed an infant and implanted her mother's heart in the child to resurrect the goddess Sothis. We learn via DLC it's not quite so nefarious - as the mother wished it - but it's still not a medical treatment for which any person would advocate.

No one's really "good" except maybe Claude, but you can argue the virtues of capitalism amongst yourself.

Apollo

Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ultimately I like Blue Lions as a strong rejection of imperialism. Crimson Flower takes an opposing stance, most notably in Edelgard's final dialogue with Dimitri where she shits on him for fighting back lol.

Part of it is certainly that her characterization is decidedly different in the other routes. Like in BL (which I am pretty biased towards I admit), her empire post-timeskip is an absolute hellscape for its citizens

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
The reason Claude is upside down on the cover is because he is the inverse of the other two in that he is right.

Deep

Actually I haven't played Golden Deer and Blue Lion routes, just wanted to make a lame joke

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I have no interest in who was right, because I don't think the game wants any faction to be the right one.
I think Edelgard's ideas are right for the most part, but I don't agree with a lot of her methods. She clearly has no issue accepting help from TWSITD, even though she knows what atrocities they had committed and still continue to do. She seems to take the "enemy of my enemy is my friend" attitude here, but I don't think that makes it right given that she should have some idea of what kind of weaponry and magic TWSITD has access to.
However this discussion always falls apart here.
People assume Edelgard has any control over her alliance with TWSITD, when it's shown she is largely their puppet in part 1 and they still control a large part of the empire in part 2. By time she takes some control of the empire to where she could maybe work against TWSITD, the church has a kill on sight order out on her across the whole continent so she's stuck with them.

Blackquill

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Edelgard is basically your average misinformed far-left/far-right college student who thinks that burning the system to the ground and replacing it with one of their own is the only way to solve pressing social issues (which is ironic, given that Part 1 of Three Houses pretty much takes place in Fire Emblem's equivalent of a college), but given actual power. Would her plans have worked if she succeeded? Possibly. Would it be that much of an improvement to Fodlan, especially given the human cost of achieving those plans? Probably not, given the nature of the Church of Seiros.

In that regards, she's a very well written villain. Notice the use of the term villain.

In other words, Edelgard did everything wrong.

Edit: Edelgard's supports with Manuela and Ferdinand does give credence to the possibility that her system could work, but the issue of the human cost required to get there, and whether it would have been that much of an improvement still exists.

That's a pretty great comparison there. I was actually thinking the same. For me, it was the most fatal flaw of Edelgard as a righteous leader.

However, Claude is the guy that is actually trying to learn as much as he can so he can advances in the right decision. In part 1 in actually spends a shitton of time in the library and that's the reason we learn about what really happenned during the time of the Progenitor God in part 2.

How was the Church fascist? Rhea has flawed ideals, but the Church has no direct political control in the three nations.

I responded to the guy that thinks that the Church was fascist, that's not my own belief.

However I think that some sequences are clearly extremeley borderline, everything about the Lonato incident was clearly not a good look for the Church. Besides, in the Crimson Flower run, Rhea is deadass mad.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Like Edelgard had the right end goal in mind, but all that is lost when she sides with the people who actually ruined her life, blame Rhea for EVERYTHING (she's a fault for a lot, but not everything), then throws the nation into a violent war. She's a good character, but I can't for the life of me understand how so many people are like "Edelgard did nothing wrong". How do you actually believe that? Did you only play Crimson Flower?

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Of course he was. Even if he wasn't correct about Edelgard being involved in his childhood tragedy, he had every right to be after her after all she did. Before the timeskip she had tried to have Claude and Dimitri murdered in the opening with the bandits, then again at the tomb, after her allies have attacked multiple innocents and killed Byleths father, then Dimitri got straight up fucked through the timeskip. During those years, her allies usurp his kingdom, falsely accuse him of regicide, arrange for him to be executed, which he only avoids because Dedue sacrifices himself to get Dimitri out, being dead as far as Dimitri knows (and Dedue can actually die if you didn't do his pre timeskip paralogue), then forced to live as a vagabond and with severe injuries (his eye, at least). As well as getting lord knows how many innocent civilians killed, which the blue lions care more for than the other routes.

Even then, he eventually gets over it and offers her a chance and she takes a last chance attempt to murder him for it.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
OP, how the hell am I going to get any work done today when you make a thread like this? We had a full day off yesterday! Sigh.

Anyway, Edelgard is the one with the right idea. Fodlan's status quo at the start of the game was absolutely horrid and needed to be done away with ASAP. Claude also has good ideas about fixing the xenophobia that the church enforces, though many miss out on the fact that any plan of his would have also ended with open conflict with the church; Edelgard just beat him to the punch. And he has no plans for dealing the privilege of the nobility, the most prominent of Fodlan's problems as shown in the game. Dimitri has no plans for the future, he's much too tied up with Faerghus' toxic culture of chivalry. The chuch is utterly negligent in its role as the caretakers of Fodlan and Rhea has let all these issues fester while she hopes that one day mommy will return and magically make everything better, which we know is an impossibility. Defenders of the church harp that Rhea did nothing wrong, but the more damning thing is in 1000+ years of de facto rule over Fodlan, she did nothing right.

Timelord19

One Winged Slayer
Aug 21, 2018
Mallorca, Spain
The problem are the nukes, if the mole people feel to much threatened they can go "fuck you all, nobody wins", so going agains them without knowing where their base is (thing you can apparently do after they blow up a city) is suicide.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
OP, how the hell am I going to get any work done today when you make a thread like this? We had a full day off yesterday! Sigh.

Anyway, Edelgard is the one with the right idea. Fodlan's status quo at the start of the game was absolutely horrid and needed to be done away with ASAP. Claude also has good ideas about fixing the xenophobia that the church enforces, though many miss out on the fact that any plan of his would have also ended with open conflict with the church; Edelgard just beat him to the punch. And he has no plans for dealing the privilege of the nobility, the most prominent of Fodlan's problems as shown in the game. Dimitri has no plans for the future, he's much too tied up with Faerghus' toxic culture of chivalry. The chuch is utterly negligent in its role as the caretakers of Fodlan and Rhea has let all these issues fester while she hopes that one day mommy will return and magically make everything better, which we know is an impossibility. Defenders of the church harp that Rhea did nothing wrong, but the more damning thing is in 1000+ years of de facto rule over Fodlan, she did nothing right.
No major wars in 1000 years is a really good result

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Three Houses' conflict is an intentionally twisted and bloody Gordion Knot for which there is no allowed sword (read: golden route), which is part of what makes it so interesting and hotly debated (even if most of the debate is between stans eager to purport a "winner/best" rather than examine the conflict without the illusion that anyone was that). The developers clearly don't intend any route to be "correct."

Edelgard and Rhea both are simultaneously right and wrong, simultaneously responsible for good and bad, each with understandable motivations that tragically wouldn't have been mutually exclusive if they had simply laid everything out on the table with the goal of understanding and cooperation. In this, they are both at fault. (Claude and Dimitri are borderline irrelevant in the grand scheme of things by comparison -- neither would have opposed a more bloodless revolution of Fodlan's system.)

Much of Edelgard's understanding of history, and consequently her hatred of Rhea, is either flat-out incorrect at best, or TWSITD propaganda at worst, which she's at her most foolish in believing. Rhea is, of course, half responsible for this, because she and the Church are the ones who've falsified history (albeit in a bid of pragmatic selflessness). Already, that alone is a situation that's difficult to solve.

Edelgard, too, is the only person in a position to enact social revolution in the way that she does. She is the only person intimately familiar with TWSITD's existence and abilities, and she is the heir to the largest country and military on the continent. People rightly praise her social ideals here, but unfortunately, as people praise Edelgard in one hand, they must malign Rhea with the other, when the reality is much more complicated.

Rhea and the Church are not responsible for the status quo of Fodlan's nobility, because they had no hard power to effect change like Edelgard did, and had to be hyper-vigilant against the threat of TWSITD. The crest-bearing nobility of Fodlan is literally condemned in the very bible of the Church of Seiros as the reason the Goddess disappeared:

The Book of Seiros said:
The descendants of the Heroes sought their ancestor's power, and thusly
their blood. In time, they amassed Crests, Relics, land, and wealth,
using all to set the land aflame with war. The goddess's power, intended
to stem the flow of evil, became a tool of destruction, all because of the
greed of humanity. The goddess grieved and, heartbroken, hid herself
in the heavens from whence she came…

Let's take a moment to allow that fact to sink in.

Now let's take a moment to remember two other facts: (1) The Knights of Seiros are a tiny elite force, incomparable to any of the three nations' militaries (see: the fact that they quake when the Empire's forces mobilize; the fact that they're so sparse they have to utilize military academy students to guard the grounds). (2) Dimitri's father, King Lambert, was assassinated by the nobility (abetted by TWSITD), establishing that the nobility will eliminate even the highest powers that seek to undermine them.

Edelgard was the key to the solution in all routes, but the tragedy is that her personal tribulations closed her off to anyone and hardened her against any questioning, which leads to her downfall in any route that isn't hers (because she didn't have Byleth). Instead, she sets up an elaborate and risky Xanatos Gambit whereby the country's sociopolitical state is improved at great cost regardless of if she wins or loses (hence why she throws the dagger at Dimitri in AM -- she knows she isn't long for the world in any case due to the experimentation, and thus forces Dimitri to solidify himself as a Hero-King by vanquishing the Emperor, rather than undermining his rule before it ever began by allowing such a controversial figure to survive).

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Before the timeskip she had tried to have Claude and Dimitri murdered in the opening with the bandits
The game implies this is not the case, first with some dialogue from Caspar in the monestary saying he expected Jeritza to be the replacement teacher, suggesting the goal was to get one of her own as a part of the church. And later Ferdinand brings up how convenient it was that some mercenaries were nearby and wonders if someone knew about it.

I think it's pretty safe to say the goal was just to get Jeritza a higher position, and not to get any of the lords hurt.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
None of them were right and having any sort of conversation to that end is actually useless. Ultimately every one of the leaders chooses to go down a path of bloodshed for what they believe in. It's more important to figure out who was wrong. Based on everything we see in the universe as is, it's pretty evident the Church is the cause of all the issues in Fodlan.

Rhea is basically a fascist dictator, wielding a religion she constantly lies about to strike down any opposition without any trial. She goes on to level a fucking town because she's a psychopath. Literally any path that ends with Rhea out of power/dead is a good path, as she is the villain that built this system of oppression that people live under. Sure she has a sad backstory, but I honestly can't empathize with her given how she's acted since.

Emiya777

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Edelgard's actions sound shitty anyway you spin them. If a headline came out tomorrow that someone with a history of being physically abused shot up a shopping mall and killed 50 due to society not being a meritocracy and things like family wealth giving people an advantage in life, everyone would hate her. Yet Edelgard does this, but on a much larger scale. Also her meritocracy would be similar to the "meritocracy" we have in the world today. Her actions are monsterous every way you spin them.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
No major wars in 1000 years is a really good result
?????????????

The First Mach War
The Invasion of Brigid
The Invasion of Dagda
The War of the Eagle and Lion
The Leicester Rebellion
The Crescent Moon War
The Annexation of Sreng
The Dagda and Brigid War
The Tragedy of Duscur (and the genocide that follows)

E- in History. See the professor after class.

SenseiX

Oct 25, 2017
The game implies this is not the case, first with some dialogue from Caspar in the monestary saying he expected Jeritza to be the replacement teacher, suggesting the goal was to get one of her own as a part of the church. And later Ferdinand brings up how convenient it was that some mercenaries were nearby and wonders if someone knew about it.

I think it's pretty safe to say the goal was just to get Jeritza a higher position, and not to get any of the lords hurt.
Jeritza was back at the academy iirc, so unless she also knew of the nearby merc camp, in the meantime they were gonna fight off the bandits all by themselves?

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
?????????????

The First Mach War
The Invasion of Brigid
The Invasion of Dagda
The War of the Eagle and Lion
The Leicester Rebellion
The Crescent Moon War
The Annexation of Sreng
The Dagda and Brigid War
The Tragedy of Duscur (and the genocide that follows)

E- in History. See the professor after class.
Most of them involve other contentinents (Dagda/Brigid) and others are TWSID's fault (The War of the Eagle and Lion, Liecester Rebellion...)

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I side with Edelgard, but Claude probably is the most correct by virtue of asking questions.

Edelgard is a fascist, end of story
Liberal Imperialist, and not really anymore than Claude, who someone else already brought up that he's very likely planning the same thing. I've yet to see anyone adequately explain how Edelgard's falls under fascist ideology.

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wish there was a 5th route that would have shown up once you've beaten every route with Byleth obtaining the knowledge of all routes and making a canon ending that way (while also canonizing/ saying that everything the player has done has happened in the story)

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Three Houses' conflict is an intentionally twisted and bloody Gordion Knot for which there is no allowed sword (read: golden route), which is part of what makes it so interesting and hotly debated (even if most of the debate is between stans eager to purport a "winner/best" rather than examine the conflict without the illusion that anyone was that). The developers clearly don't intend any route to be "correct."

Edelgard and Rhea both are simultaneously right and wrong, simultaneously responsible for good and bad, each with understandable motivations that tragically wouldn't have been mutually exclusive if they had simply laid everything out on the table with the goal of understanding and cooperation. In this, they are both at fault. (Claude and Dimitri are borderline irrelevant in the grand scheme of things by comparison -- neither would have opposed a more bloodless revolution of Fodlan's system.)

Much of Edelgard's understanding of history, and consequently her hatred of Rhea, is either flat-out incorrect at best, or TWSITD propaganda at worst, which she's at her most foolish in believing. Rhea is, of course, half responsible for this, because she and the Church are the ones who've falsified history (albeit in a bid of pragmatic selflessness). Already, that alone is a situation that's difficult to solve.

Edelgard, too, is the only person in a position to enact social revolution in the way that she does. She is the only person intimately familiar with TWSITD's existence and abilities, and she is the heir to the largest country and military on the continent. People rightly praise her social ideals here, but unfortunately, as people praise Edelgard in one hand, they must malign Rhea with the other, when the reality is much more complicated.

Rhea and the Church are not responsible for the status quo of Fodlan's nobility, because they had no hard power to effect change like Edelgard did, and had to be hyper-vigilant against the threat of TWSITD. The crest-bearing nobility of Fodlan is literally condemned in the very bible of the Church of Seiros as the reason the Goddess disappeared:

Now let's take a moment to remember two other facts: (1) The Knights of Seiros are a tiny elite force, incomparable to any of the three nations' militaries (see: the fact that they quake when the Empire's forces mobilize; the fact that they're so sparse they have to utilize military academy students to guard the grounds). (2) Dimitri's father, King Lambert, was assassinated by the nobility (abetted by TWSITD), establishing that the nobility will eliminate even the highest powers that seek to undermine them.

Edelgard was the key to the solution in all routes, but the tragedy is that her personal tribulations closed her off to anyone and hardened her against any questioning, which leads to her downfall in any route that isn't hers (because she didn't have Byleth). Instead, she sets up an elaborate and risky Xanatos Gambit whereby the country's sociopolitical state is improved at great cost regardless of if she wins or loses (hence why she throws the dagger at Dimitri in AM -- she knows she isn't long for the world in any case due to the experimentation, and thus forces Dimitri to solidify himself as a Hero-King by vanquishing the Emperor, rather than undermining his rule before it ever began by allowing such a controversial figure to survive).
This is a good write up.

Only thing that bothers me is that the game is a bit inconsistent on how it presents the size of the Church. Specifically with Jeralt calling them ridiculously massive near the start of the game. Part 1 doesn't really do anything to counter that, while part 2 quickly turns them into a minor faction overall.

Jeritza was back at the academy iirc, so unless she also knew of the nearby merc camp, in the meantime they were gonna fight off the bandits all by themselves?
Yes, Ferdinand wonders if someone knew of the mercenary camp being nearby. I don't see any reason for that line of dialogue to be there if not to suggest Edelgard had the bandit attack at that spot knowing the mercenaries would help.

May 18, 2018
I liked VW cause it solves every question, even though they seem very detached from the main story of Dimitri vs Edelgard.

I also liked Dmitri's route because it was very character driven and after he goes back to normal he makes the world better or something. Though I did have a problem with them not fighting of against the Slithers.

Doesn't the whole game tell us that Edelgard is wrong? We learn that what kind of world(government) she wants is wrong in Dmitri's route and we know learn that she was being tricked to start a war from "Those who Slither" in Claude's. She also believes that the "Lizard people" want to rule the world which isn't true at all because, well just look at Flayn and Seteth.

It doesn't make sense to join a person who worked with the people who did many horrible things, including killing your father.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

This is the best post in the thread.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
this thread just reminded me i need to re play this game haha
I actually went back to my fifth playthrough over the weekend. I started it because I wanted to play Crimson Flower again, as I played it before Jeritza was added as a playable character. I also wanted to play with the Ashen Wolves recruited, so I will be doing both now. I hadn't played Maddening yet, so I am doing that this time as well. I'll probably put my run on hiatus when Xenoblade comes out on Friday, but I am sure I will get back to it eventualy.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Most of them involve other contentinents (Dagda/Brigid) and others are TWSID's fault (The War of the Eagle and Lion, Liecester Rebellion...)
Half those foreign wars had Fodlan as the aggressor and TWSitD merely grease the wheels, they don't make anyone do anything they don't already want to do.

Either way you slice it, the church is utterly useless and ineffectual as a peacekeeper and no amount of excuses changes that.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what is up with the Edelgard is fascist take. Her ideology is a sort of liberalism + imperialism. Not every destructive combo of ideology and personal motives is fascism. Heck, fascism in a medieval setting makes no sense as they define themselves in opposition to the liberal democratic order and to left wing ideologies. Not to mention I don't remember her batting for social conservatism and a return to the old ways, xenophobic nationalism and opposition to multiculturalism, and the sort of myth making about how the nation was great until insert x powerless minority (ie not the church of Seiros) ruined everything.

Last edited:

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Wish there was a 5th route that would have shown up once you've beaten every route with Byleth obtaining the knowledge of all routes and making a canon ending that way (while also canonizing/ saying that everything the player has done has happened in the story)

I know some people don't like "true" or "golden" endings, but it does feel like a missed opportunity in a game where the main character literally has time rewinding powers (not that she ever used it very well... you could have tried to save your dad another time, Byleth). It would have been interesting to see a route where Byleth had knowledge of everything but, being Byleth, struggled to communicate it and so didn't cause a perfect solution by any means.

I guess maybe the DLC has some of that "all-stars" team vibe, though? If I do end up going back to the game, I'd probably end up just playing that before any other routes (having only done BE-E), I guess.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
GD, ending racism sounds a lot better.

Also they achieved much more, while not even being overly dramatic/ serious, they're too badass