• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
Looks fine to me. Loving all the options that the player apparently has and custom grooming units is certainly interesting (and quite a departure from the series--atleast the ones I've played).

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It's really amazing everything about her looks pretty terrible. Goofy ears, hair that looks like she just got out of a shower, a horrendous outfit that has a bustier armor with a kind of additional armor vest, exposed naval and up chest if not for the giant pendant with floating collar and finally hot pants w/ really muddy looking lace pantyhose. Really top notch design there.

Meanwhile Male Byleth is knit up from head to toe in heavy garb and armor. Only exposed aspect of him is his face.

Really perplexed by both designs though as neither is very good at all and again it doesn't seem likely that we'll be able to customize them any, which is truly baffling. That's like the one thing people like about a player avatar and expect to be able to do. Hoping I'm wrong, but seeing Byleth in several cinematics doesn't give me hope.
Outfit criticisms aside, I don't see what's wrong with her ears and her hair is just a longer, feminine cut that matches the male Byleth's style.

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
Own it, just haven't gotten round to playing it.

Oh pfft, barring the cousin one, that doesn't count as incest.
8239EOM.jpg

honestly the twist that they're not your real siblings was kind of false advertising, I guess I should feel bad for this poor guy who got mislead into thinking he was petting his real blood-related little sister

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Outfit criticisms aside, I don't see what's wrong with her ears and her hair is just a longer, feminine cut that matches the male Byleth's style.
I mean they both look pretty bad and goofy, her especially due to her outfit. His outfit looks bad too just not in a problematic way like hers. I wouldn't call either a good design at all and really disliked him from the E3 trailer, but figured hey we'll be able to customize them not problem. Now I'm not so sure that's possible unless those are all inengine cutscenes.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I mean they both look pretty bad and goofy, her especially due to her outfit. His outfit looks bad too just not in a problematic way like hers. I wouldn't call either a good design at all and really disliked him from the E3 trailer, but figured hey we'll be able to customize them not problem. Now I'm not so sure that's possible unless those are all inengine cutscenes.
I always thought male Byleth looked pretty good. His face, hair, and outfit all look good to me.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I always thought male Byleth looked pretty good. His face, hair, and outfit all look good to me.
Not to me he doesn't. Bland as all hell with a haircut that is truly terrible looking. I don't want to look at that for 40+ hours and she's no better.

But maybe we'll luck out and IS put some real time into creating an impressive ingame cutscene engine that allows us to customize them still, but I'm not gonna hold my breath at this point for it.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Female Byleth's outfit made me laugh so hard I missed the rest of the trailer, I think I'm going to have to take a walk first lol
Female MC looks like garbage. How am I not surprised?

Is it just me, or does she have glowing pantyhose or something?

I nominate the OT for Three Houses to be named: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Emblem.

IOh hey look a heart icon from a student, that's not concerning.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses |OT| Fire Emblem and the Chamber of Creepy Student-Teacher Intercourse

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Im all fucking in for Fire Emblem: Hogwarts Edition

People are going to cry when it sells like fucking hotcakes. Fire Emblem is not a niche RPG anymore, and it has expanded to the more casual anime and female audiences, that are the ones that make it sell millions now. Its Awakening all over again. And seems resetera has a big beef with the academy part when that is going to attract people like crazy. Its the only part I liked from FFVIII lol

And I cant wait.

Not actually confirmed but I doubt they'd let a teacher date their students.

hahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Don't listen to their hyperbole. Corrin's siblings aren't their actual siblings. They have only one blood relative as a possible support link and it's a cousin.
? Fauxcest is just as bad as incest.

The social element of incest is not "nothing." Fauxcest lets that exist while denying the biological element.

Imo there is something deeply fucked up in transforming a brother/sister, parent/child, etc. relationship into a sexual relationship.

That is a deep social transgression.

Consider unwitting biological incest. It is horrific to discover, but it lacks the social transgression in coming to that point.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Not to me he doesn't. Bland as all hell with a haircut that is truly terrible looking. I don't want to look at that for 40+ hours and she's no better.

But maybe we'll luck out and IS put some real time into creating an impressive ingame cutscene engine that allows us to customize them still, but I'm not gonna hold my breath at this point for it.
I don't know what's so bland about him, though? I mean, obviously, Three Houses isn't nearly as ostentatious with its character designs as Fates, but bland?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

I dig male Byleth's design. It's the best of the avatars IMO.

Was looking forward to female Byleth, but god damn she looks bad from that picture. Belly window? Check. Short skirt? Check. Weird pantyhose? Check. Just put her in male Byleth's clothes and she'd be infinitely better.

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
DzU1Wk0WwAA5eo7.jpg:large

Yeah this doesn't sit right with me
Here's male Byleth, sure I get they feel obligated to give her cleavage, but what's with the dress collar instead of the neck armor? And no sleeves too. I guess the necklace thing hanging down or whatever is nice, and for what its worth, they're both pretty much unarmored in the chest area. I also think male Byleth looks a little surly whereas female Byleth doesn't, which is weird. But really, its the lower part of her design that you can't see here that gets bad.
aM8asBk.jpg

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
As a professor, the player must choose one of these houses to lead its students in grid-based battles with life-or-death stakes.

Does this mean they go Fates route of having multiple path ?

I can see that the three kingdoms goes to war to each other and the academy must pick which one to support.

? Fauxcest is just as bad as incest.

The social element of incest is not "nothing." Fauxcest lets that exist while denying the biological element.

Imo there is something deeply fucked up in transforming a brother/sister, parent/child, etc. relationship into a sexual relationship.

That is a deep social transgression.

Consider unwitting biological incest. It is horrific to discover, but it lacks the social transgression in coming to that point.

Yep don't forget power dynamics too.

People defending Fates saying its not incest are just plain not getting it not realising how bad and wrong they are.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
I'm overall happy with what I see from the game, even if a bit annoyed that

a) a school setting, while new for the series and not necessarily a bad thing, isn't exactly hard to find in other JRPGs/SRPGs

and

b) the trailer was quite light on the meat and potatoes of the game (maps/combat)

I'm also a bit annoyed by all of the assumptions in this thread being presented as facts without confirmation (character customization, dating/marriage options, and NPC ages to name a few). Waiting for confirmation on these and other things *is*not*hard*to*do.

Even if it's not top tier Fire Emblem when it's all said and done, I'll take my chances and order the CE immediately. Two of them, in fact. I doubt I'll end up more disappointed than my last CE purchase

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh.

Not only is there the delay to summer (which, to be fair, was pretty expected), I'm kinda not-sure-if-want on a lot of things that were described, here.

The 'school' vibe really isn't my jam unless it's Persona, and I'm not feeling the story - at least, as is being told to us thus far.

Hopefully we get some more info on stuff soon, especially on the tactical side of things - being able to re-class/re-focus at will risks losing a lot of tension/balance on how to scale up enemies - not to mention making different map objectives near impossible, considering the variety of movement and combat options you could theoretically have/be limited to.

At least a lot of the character face/designs look good.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I actually like the hair for female Byleth (what an odd name, especially coming off of the last two NA choices for FE avatars), it's the outfit I don't like.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
It looks pretty cool! I'm not opposed to the school setting despite bad experiences. Having three houses might do good for having smaller cast dynamics if things go south as expected.

All I ask is that it doesn't manifest itself as buying the game three times. Like, I bought the Fates extra routes so I acknowledge I'm part of the problem!

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
At first I was about to comment on the "As the professor you need to choose one house" issue because it's kinda dumb to play favoritism as a teacher but...I have not really thought about the student-teacher romance thing, which will definitely be in.

If so that's a deal breaker for me.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I'm willing to give IS the benefit of the doubt since I dig the idea of Harry Potter x Fire Emblem, specially if my character's the teaching. Probably they'll unifiy all the academy students afterwards to act as the army agaisnt whatever evil there is this time.

But they already began on the wrong foot by giving the female avatar such a ridiculous outfit. Can't you give female characters some god damn decent armor for once, IS? Guess I'll have to play as the male avatar just to get a decent design.

At least, I'm happy we haven't seen any sign of kids so far.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I'm willing to give IS the benefit of the doubt since I dig the idea of Harry Potter x Fire Emblem, specially if my character's the teaching. Probably they'll unifiy all the academy students afterwards to act as the army agaisnt whatever evil there is this time.

But they already began on the wrong foot by giving the female avatar such a ridiculous outfit. Can't you give female characters some god damn decent armor for once, IS? Guess I'll have to play as the male avatar just to get a decent design.

At least, I'm happy we haven't seen any sign of kids so far.
The male avatar isn't particularly well-armored, either, for what it's worth. His pecs are ripe for an axe.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Well I'm pretty down on the trailer tbh. Wasn't really up on the previous showings or anything but this definitely surprised me in a bad way.

I don't like the school conceit at first blush. I've been wanting FE to go back to a semblance of an intelligible war story and thought maybe we were getting that with Three Houses in the context of the Fates post-mortem where finally people seemed to realize jettisoning the "boring" from FE wasn't a good idea after all and it was time to move on from the low represented by Awakening and Fates wrt narrative (Fates is at least an otherwise good game). Instead, it seems like we are getting another "Let us take from popular anime to make Fire Emblem more "it"" and honestly my gut reaction is this will undercut any world building and narrative Three Houses attempts--it will be refracted into the crucible and setting of school and the conflicts, persons, and relations therein. Sure, it seems it will grow beyond those walls but that seems an extremely stultifying setting for a supposedly diverse and politically fraught world. I don't really want the rivalries from states to come to a head in relationships defined by "our anime school days together" and honestly I think this is what we are getting. It makes me very worried about the story being farce wrapped around a kernel of school drama.

Then you have the avatar-professor thing. I highly doubt IntSys would simultaneously have an avatar and back away from the romance simulation. And that avatar is now going to be teaching the people it is seeking to sleep with. Moreover, an avatar system usually means all the stories are going to be such as to be readable as sexual innuendo and/or romantic. So it makes me think there will be a lot of teacher on student strange stuff.

Of course, this is all just speculation and Three Houses could prove me wrong but given recent FE history and with no positive sign IntSys is pulling back from said history but rather evidence they are still looking for the hip anime hook that led them down the path they took on 3DS...I don't feel inclined to give the benefit of the doubt and rather feel inclined to start lowering my hopes/expectations.

We'll see as we get closer to release but I might approach this one the same way I approached FE Fates: Ignore the narrative, just play the maps. That sucks.

Oct 27, 2017
Here's male Byleth, sure I get they feel obligated to give her cleavage, but what's with the dress collar instead of the neck armor? And no sleeves too. I guess the necklace thing hanging down or whatever is nice, and for what its worth, they're both pretty much unarmored in the chest area. I also think male Byleth looks a little surly whereas female Byleth doesn't, which is weird. But really, its the lower part of her design that you can't see here that gets bad.
aM8asBk.jpg

I honestly don't know why you guys still, after literal decades of this being the case, don't realize that 99% of videogame armor is aesthetic and not for protection. Anytime I read someone mention how inexplicable a gap in armor is I feel like I'm taking crazy pills because you should know it wasn't designed for actual protection

Well he's more armored than the female avatar, its the principle of the thing
Not really, unless you consider cloth armor

Conan

Oct 25, 2017
The environments looks sparse and the scale of the world looks very off.
NSwitch_FireEmblemThreeHouses_08.0.jpg

Not sure what's up with the 2000 foot tall empty buildings.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Well I'm pretty down on the trailer tbh. Wasn't really up on the previous showings or anything but this definitely surprised me in a bad way.

I don't like the school conceit at first blush. I've been wanting FE to go back to a semblance of an intelligible war story and thought maybe we were getting that with Three Houses in the context of the Fates post-mortem where finally people seemed to realize jettisoning the "boring" from FE wasn't a good idea after all and it was time to move on from the low represented by Awakening and Fates wrt narrative (Fates is at least an otherwise good game). Instead, it seems like we are getting another "Let us take from popular anime to make Fire Emblem more "it"" and honestly my gut reaction is this will undercut any world building and narrative Three Houses attempts--it will be refracted into the crucible and setting of school and the conflicts, persons, and relations therein. Sure, it seems it will grow beyond those walls but that seems an extremely stultifying setting for a supposedly diverse and politically fraught world. I don't really want the rivalries from states to come to a head in relationships defined by "our anime school days together" and honestly I think this is what we are getting. It makes me very worried about the story being farce wrapped around a kernel of school drama.

Then you have the avatar-professor thing. I highly doubt IntSys would simultaneously have an avatar and back away from the romance simulation. And that avatar is now going to be teaching the people it is seeking to sleep with. Moreover, an avatar system usually means all the stories are going to be such as to be readable as sexual innuendo and/or romantic. So it makes me think there will be a lot of teacher on student strange stuff.

Of course, this is all just speculation and Three Houses could prove me wrong but given recent FE history and with no positive sign IntSys is pulling back from said history but rather evidence they are still looking for the hip anime hook that led them down the path they took on 3DS...I don't feel inclined to give the benefit of the doubt and rather feel inclined to start lowering my hopes/expectations.

We'll see as we get closer to release but I might approach this one the same way I approached FE Fates: Ignore the narrative, just play the maps. That sucks.
Fire Emblem has the anime hook since forever, the difference is that what a popular anime hook in the 90s isn't the same today

Oct 27, 2017
The environments looks sparse and the scale of the world looks very off.
NSwitch_FireEmblemThreeHouses_08.0.jpg

Not sure what's up with the 2000 foot tall empty buildings.
I'm not sure why you're posting a screenshot from the old trailer

I don't like the school conceit at first blush. I've been wanting FE to go back to a semblance of an intelligible war story
Yes, because a military academy makes no sense in an intelligible war story, right? Soldiers just spawn out of nowhere

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
I honestly don't know why you guys still, after literal decades of this being the case, don't realize that 99% of videogame armor is aesthetic and not for protection. Anytime I read someone mention how inexplicable a gap in armor is I feel like I'm taking crazy pills because you should know it wasn't designed for actual protection

Not really, unless you consider cloth armor
the neck armor for one, she's wearing some kind of cloth collar and he isn't. well you know what we mean, fem byleth has a more fanservicey design. she might not even be wearing leg armor actually. its a step down from Robin and even Corrin, whose designs had more parity between gender

BigBluePig

Jul 5, 2018
The artstyle kills this for me. Out of 15 games this is the first to have an artstyle I dislike, and I absolutely *hate* it. Also, same face again after we had beautiful art by Kozaki and Hidari is pretty disappointing.

As for gameplay, looks like Edelgard is a Villager character (hope that's exclusive to her and a few other characters) with too many class choices. No attack stance I'm guessing, which is an awful decision. Also, fist fighting? In Fire Emblem? Not a fan.

Having troops for individual characters looks cool, but I'm disappointed to see weapon durability back. Hoping for eugenics simulator to make a return.

Avatar design can't be customized I guess, which wouldn't be a problem except that the designs both look terrible.

Honestly, I'm not a fan. All I wanted was Conquest with a better story and no pair-up, but it looks I get Valkyria Chronicles 2 instead. Military Academies are lame and overdone.

Boo.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like we're still missing most of the story since nothing in here established any stakes or drama. I'm guessing most of the first part of the story is bonding with the characters doing after school activities like putting down rebellions and then the second half war breaks out between the three kingdoms and then you ally and fight against people who you bonded with in the first part. Could be fun.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It's really neat how promotions are handled through "exams" instead of magic seals or whatever. Nice context!
If you look closely, you still need a seal for the promotion to take place. It's just that the context of the promotion aspect has been integrated into the school setting.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
We saw one or 2 battlefields at most in this trailer that are probably of the first chapters, hardly enough exampls to say they are poor or not