djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
This looks like a terrible blaze. Depending on how much is masonry, there may not be much left...

There's a lot of scaffolding around some of the roofing. Wonder if something happened during restoration.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
I hope there is something left but its already looking like a huge loss to humanity and I can't even fathom what the French are feeling.

Aygomyownroad

Oct 27, 2017
Quasimodo wanting a renovation...

But in seriousness that's tragic. Hope no one is hurt and they are able to rescue the building

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looks completely out of control now in the live stream, I don't think they'll be able to save it. Just awful...

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
EDIT: removed clip, was in bad taste.

I really hope Notre Dame can be restored to its glory.

Last edited:
Staff Post: Please be respectful and do not use this thread for jokes.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Official Staff Communication
This is a developing situation about famous structural landmark catching fire. We don't know how dangerous the fire is or if people are at risk. Please be respectful towards this situation and do not use this as an opportunity to make jokes.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
That's not good. Not only in the damage done to a cultural treasure, but in the pretext it's going to give for further acts of violence.

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
Last time I was inside there I said to my friends "it's a wonder this place doesn't catch fire with all the candles" absolutely EVERYWHERE inside....

Very sad to see it ablaze. These historic buildings are so important.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is fucking huge, the footage on France24 makes it look like the entire roof is burning and is going to collapse the main chamber.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
Well, shit.

Glad I got to see it in person a few years ago. It really is an amazing work of architecture and art. I hope they can get this put out quickly.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I came in expecting a small incident but my god. Firstly I hope everyone is safe. But this is a real conflagration- The smoke damage alone is already catastrophic.

I had an amazing pun but I almost yelled at myself when I saw these pictures. Just tragic. Last time I felt such a giant historical wrench was the Windsor palace blaze and the taliban destruction of the ancient Buddhas and the unknowable destruction of artifacts and art by Isis. Iraq also suffered horrible destruction and theft of art and history .

This is just one section of the interior and the damage will be awful even if the flames don't reach it. There's tapestries and art and books galore in there.

nmmCE1G.jpg

I know the Eiffel Tower is more iconic but this place has always been the heart of Paris for me and historically it's been at the center of French history too many times to say.

Oct 27, 2017
Looking pretty bad. I'm hoping that the structure itself can be saved but at this point I'm not too hopeful in regards to the cathedral's interior. This is a tragedy.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
If I'm honest, it feels like every historic building is just one flame away from catastrophic disaster. Do we really not have the technology or the political will to prevent things like this?

ced

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit wasn't expecting that large of a fire when clicking this thread.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If I was the one responsible for that accident I'd be shitting myself right now. I hope they get it under control

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
The structure should be fine, no? Obviously internal features made of wood will be gone, as well as paintings and decorations, but the stone structure should still be sound, correct?

Depends, wood is used to support many aspects of stone buildings as well. A support falls that causes the stone to collapse in an area can drag down huge chunks of the structure.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Man, it has survived so much. This fire however looks real bad. I am hoping for the best.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
FOX "News" seems to be the only channel with an active live feed going right now. All the others are showing pictures or old video.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
That looks pretty bad. Hopefully the main structure can be saved, but if the roof collapses the whole interior will be done.