Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
+1 to Mob Psycho and Ping Pong. Both are incredible.

For some other "artsy" stuff (not all of these are super new, but most are at least not super famous):

Land of the Lustrous : Era's anime of the year in 2017, and for a good reason. It showcases that 3D anime can be just as good, if not better, than 2D anime. Plus one of the best protagonists and great action scenes that take full advantage of the CG.

Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo : This uses some really weird CG texturing effects that give it a 100% distinct art style. Plus it's a great show all around, and it's basically Monte Cristo in space.

The Eccentric Family: Mostly just an all around nice feel good story with great backgrounds. But I really like the way it portrays the city of Kyoto. Of all the anime I've watched, I think this one gets the closest to really capturing the essence of the city its set in. Might be too slice of life for you, but it does have a plot and isn't really anything like what those words usually describe.

Kyousougiga: Rie Matsumoto is one of the most interesting directors in the business, and this is still her best work. Some good action, but also great visuals all around.

Concrete Revolutio: A Japanese take on western superhero tropes mixed with a heavy dosage of post-war Japanese pop culture, I guess. People describe it as anime Watchmen, and I can sort of see the comparison, but don't think it's all that relevant. A lot of people hate it for some reason, but I think it's great.

Mononoke: Another one in the "super distinct art" category, as again there's nothing that really looks similar to it out there. Mostly a Japanese horror story anthology focused on an exorcist dealing with a variety of Japanese spirits.

Space Dandy: In the west, this was pretty much marketed as a Cowboy Bebop sequel, since it's by Watanabe and set in space. But that's not only super inaccurate (which made a lot of people really disappointed), but also ends up selling the show short. What it actually is is an anthology series where each episode is handled by a different famous/skilled anime director that's basically given the permission to do whatever he wants. This leads to a show that's pretty inconsistent, but some of its episodes are still some of the best stuff I've seen in anime that really showcase the creativity you don't usually get since most anime leaves very little room for creative freedom.

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju: A story about a bunch of Rakugo performers (basically solo-theatre, but without acting, just speaking). Has really good visuals and direction, as well as some great vocal performances, but sadly jumps the shark in the last 10 minutes for absolutely no reason. Still, everything up to that part is great.

For action, Garo: The Animation is pretty good. Just make sure to actually watch the right one (the first one in the series), because it has a lot of confusingly named sequels/spinoffs that aren't anywhere near as good. Also Sword of the Stranger if you haven't watched that yet, as it's pretty much the definitive anime action movie.

For Gundam, Gundam: The Origin is really great. It was originally released as a set of movies, but will have a serialized version running later this season, assuming someone picks it up. Gundam Build Fighters is also just good, dumb fun with a lot of really good fights and pretty visuals.

For other random stuff, Konosuba is basically the funniest thing released this decade (in any medium), Maquia is an incredible if sometimes overemotional movie, Kaguya-sama: Love is War is a great romantic comedy that exploded in popularity last season (and the manga version is super popular lately as well), and any movie by Satoshi Kon is art.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Mob Psycho is probably one of the top 3 anime I've ever seen, +1 to recommendation.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Megalobox if for no other reason than the awesome soundtrack.

Would run through a brick wall to the OP.

Mob Psycho 100 is must-see anime for anyone who's remotely a fan.

OP
OP
Lulu

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Mob is great, gonna start up Gridman tn.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
Um, possibly NSFW. No nudity or anything, but I wouldn't watch it at work. Or in public.

I don't think anything will beat this. It's called Sarazanmai.