• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
How many of us are playing a game, many times a game we were all excited to play, only to be thinkin in finishing it fast to get to the next game, despite the enjoyment were having?

I was loving death stranding, but i couldnt wait to finish it to start slicing stormtroopers in fallen order.

Sometimes games feel like homework.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
I used to do that, OP. I give a game a fair chance before I drop it. If I don't feel it, I move on to the next

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I don't try rushing through a game just to start another. I like to play games that actually keep me engaged. When I do drop a game, it's because it's simply not holding my interest.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
there's no real reason for me to rush through a game

either a new game will be waiting for me after im done or ill die in my sleep and if that happens then ill be dead and i wont care about shenmue 3

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
Because of the "52 games in 1 year" challenge, it was definitely like that for me last year. Even if I was tired of a game, I forced myself to finish it before moving on to the next one.

Luckily they were all relatively short games though, so it wasn't a big deal. But a game like Okami for example, I definitely wouldn't force myself to get through.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I did the exact same thing. Death Stranding had so little combat that I was ready to move onto Fallen Order. But I was too close to finishing DS to give it up.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
How many of us are playing a game, many times a game we were all excited to play, only to be thinkin in finishing it fast to get to the next game, despite the enjoyment were having?

I was loving death stranding, but i couldnt wait to finish it to start slicing stormtroopers in fallen order.

I'm the same way, OP - and even with Death Stranding. But this time, Death Stranding was just such a bore for me I didn't mind dropping it quickly. I can see how people love DT - and I plan to go back to it one day - but it is def a game that is for when I have literally nothing else to play.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
I went through that around the period that Spider-Man and RDR2 came out. I find that rushing through a game can hurt the experience for me ("rushed" through Spider-Man). Thankfully though I had an opportunity to play through it again, and it was a much better experience playing the game in a not-rushed manner.

Oct 27, 2017
I decided to drop Detroit: Become Human right around the penultimate chapter after a particularly boring play session. Felt like I was dropping a college course right before the finals but I'm glad to be off the hook now.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

Yeah I try to avoid putting myself in that position, Like you said it feels like homework. That's the main reason why I want smaller games these days.

otherwise I would ideally only have one big game per month or two.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Yeaaaa, I was really enjoying Death Stranding, I would take my time and just relax. Eventually my coworkers were already finished with it and were like, "You are only on chapter 1?!" and that made me feel self conscious so I started rushing it, which completely kills that game. It's not an enjoyable game to rush.

I also get this physical uneasiness sometimes with games, this pressure to just finish it and it becomes unenjoyable, prob my ADD. But it's incredibly frustrating.

OldGamer

Jul 6, 2019
I usually don't rush, though I will get impatient near the end of I'm bogged down near endgame or post-game. At worst, I will leave at least a couple stones unturned and not talk to every NPC or leave a few challenges incomplete.

This tends to be the reason why I trophy hunt--to obligate myself to devote at least a sizable amount of time on the game. I won't drop until I get 100%. That's usually the goal. I will not do any "unnecessary" extra unless I feel compelled to.

I will also play back catalog, retro games in between the long/major new releases since they are usually much shorter than modern games and I am usually satisfied with just getting to the end credits.

MrMegaPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017
I always do that. It's super rare to find a game I want to take slowly. I'd rather just move on to another experience quicker. At least it feels more variety that way

Comandr

Feb 14, 2018
I just did this with Judgment. I genuinely enjoyed the game but could not for whatever reason bring myself to play it for long periods of time. Then I would drop it for weeks. Begrudgingly come back to it and push just to finish it. But then while I was playing I was genuinely enjoying myself. I think probably because I've spent so many games getting introduced to Kiryu's world and now this game takes place in a familiar location but sort of an alternate version of it where none of those characters exist.. it was hard for me to feel invested. I pushed to finish and jumped into Yakuza 5 immediately on PSNOW since I no longer have the patience to wait for the digital remaster.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I try not to do this because it leaves a really really hallow feeling when I play them. Like I have almost no opinion on a game when I rush through them. If it's something I paid for I try to go at my own pace. For PS+ stuff that I had no interest in in the first place I rush and feel little to nothing about them no matter what it is. I'm more caught up on my backlog now though so don't gotta rush.

Doing this made me enjoy Persona 5, but also took me over a year to beat it haha.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I do that with a lot of games but if its a game I really enjoy like for an example Zelda BotW or FFXV - I spend the most maximum time exploring and farming/grinding.

I clocked 75 hours in BotW and 85 hours in FFXV for an example.

Gorion's Ward

Apr 6, 2019
Israel <3
Nah, I'll just stop playing and not look back. If the current game isn't engaging enough, even if I'm at 85+% completion I'll drop it. Life is too short to care about finishing a game you didn't vibe with 100% of the way.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
I just finished Wandersong and while I enjoyed it I did feel the pacing in the second 1/2 was just wayyyyy too slow and I wanted to hurry up and finish it in order to get back to Outer Wilds. I'm glad I finished it though— absolutely charming story— I just wished the parts between the story beats were shorter.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
If I'm still enjoying it and am deep into it, I might start thinking about what to play next, but I'll continue to play what I'm playing. If it's getting tiresome, then yeah, I'll pick up the pace.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
If it's a really long game I might feel like I just want it to end so I can move on, but if it's a great game I usually don't feel that way.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just don't buy anything new until you are done with the old one. I started doing that a few years ago and now take it way more easy with my games. It's also why something like Game Pass would never work for me. I'd just be rushing everything and not finishing any games.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I often decided im not doing anymore side content to focus on beating the main campaign asap. I dont want to get burned out on a game. Just did it with Control.