• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
So I've had a gaming chair I got from Micro Center a couple years back, be but the seat padding had failed on me and is causing me quite a bit of discomfort. I need to replace it pretty quickly.

I know you have to spend some money if you want a good chair, but I'm not really able to drop $800-$1200+ to get like a Herman Miller or something. I'm looking more for sub $500.

Anybody aware of anything decent in that price range. Preferably suitable for a bigger person, and hopefully not just a task chair (though I know there are some great trash chairs out there so I'm not totally opposed). Has anyone tried like Craigslist or Facebook marketplace and what kind of experience have you had?

Bonus: I'd like a chair that can elevate higher than normal, but if push comes to shove I could probably reconfigure my desk to be lower.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
After seeing it in Nintendrew's videos on YouTube, I ordered a $300-range Clutch gaming chair and have been very pleased with it.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
As someone who has owned several racing seat style gaming chairs (from $200 to $650AUD), don't go that route. Even the best ones are pretty awful for long term use - they're comfortable to lounge in but they will ruin your body, I speak from experience on that front. Ergohuman is the cheaper HM/Steelcase option but it's probably still too pricey so I would go with something like the HON stuff which I've heard decent things about -

This seems pretty decent but as always take Amazon reviews with a few tonnes of salt.

Really you just want something adjustable and that accommodates proper posture.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Its hard to shop for chairs online since you can't sit in one, especially with the high price on some of them. I'm in need of a new chair and just browsing online doesn't tell you too much. I just want a tall back chair with fixed arm rests in cloth like the one I have. Just about all the ones I see online are leather

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I need a new chair and preferably one with a lot of cushions.

I have to always use a pillow for my weak ass. Thats why racer seats seem kinda comfy but if EVERYONE says they're bad... I have no idea what my options would be.

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
ikea Markus or järvfjället
I second the Markus. I used to go through chairs like they were going out of style, but I've had this Markus for five years now and it's still as sturdy and comfortable as ever. Plus it doesn't look like a racing car. I can easily say it's the best office/computer chair I've ever owned.

1.jpg51D320C2-63E1-43EF-A6DB-3537B4D820FCZoom.jpg

0399810_PE563882_S5.jpg

Damn, I didn't even know they had a leather one. It might be time to upgrade...

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Its hard to shop for chairs online since you can't sit in one, especially with the high price on some of them. I'm in need of a new chair and just browsing online doesn't tell you too much. I just want a tall back chair with fixed arm rests in cloth like the one I have. Just about all the ones I see online are leather

My favorite clothy tall back chair was the Belbrook Executive Big Tall Fabric High-Back Chair.

It was this really comfy middle ground between office chair and clothy couch-like chair. Extremely comfortable. I could sit in it for eons and never feel strained. I don't think they make it anymore, though.

862387_p_workpro_belbrook_executive_big_tall_fabric_high_back_chair

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
I have a racing chair and it's terrible... my ass hurts after 30 mins. I thought it would be good for posture, which it is tbh, but the damn thing destroys my ass. It makes no sense. I've had to sit on hard plastic chairs without cushions for hours, day after day, for classes I was taking, and it wasn't as uncomfortable as this damn racing chair lol. Buyer beware is what I'm saying. The one I bought is terrible and it's a racing chair so it looks stupid and juvenile, even all black. Avoid.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
ikea Markus or järvfjället

Eh, I'd advise against those IKEA chairs because you can't adjust the armrests at all.
Got rid of my Markus recently. The Järvfjället was to expensive given the features and quality (169€).

For 200€ you can get some fully adjustable, memory foam, cushioned gaming chairs with lower body and neck pillows.
I got me one of those and the difference is staggering.
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07MQTYRTZ/ref=pe_3044161_189395811_TE_SCE_dp_1
You can even get them in plain black, in case you don't want to look like a Twitch streamer.

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
Go on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace and try to find a company selling lightly used Herman Miller chairs for cheap. Your back will thank you.

OP
OP

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
A good chair for bigger folks is the Forma GT from Maingear.

It's usually $350 but MC has it on sale for $300.

Amazon has some good customer reviews and images. It's a very decent chair.
I think I've sat in that one at the store and quote liked it. But I'm a little hesitant go for another going chair. Granted the one I have now was a good bit cheaper, but as the padding had failed I discovered that there is a spring or bar or something that I've apparently been sitting on and that's probably what's been causing my some problems. So I'd really need to know about the seat and padding configuration.

Go on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace and try to find a company selling lightly used Herman Miller chairs for cheap. Your back will thank you.
I'm really starting to lean this way. We had Aeron chairs at my last job so I know I can sit in them for extended periods. I also know the seat of the chair won't secretly have a metal bar running across it.

I'm just not familiar with all the options they're presenting like type B and C and tilt restrictors and all that. Also it's internet sellers or office supply warehouses that decide to close at 5 so I'd have to like go into work an hour early to try and leave an hour early just to get there. Though that's probably work it at this point.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I second the Markus. I used to go through chairs like they were going out of style, but I've had this Markus for five years now and it's still as sturdy and comfortable as ever. Plus it doesn't look like a racing car. I can easily say it's the best office/computer chair I've ever owned.

0399810_PE563882_S5.jpg

I've had mine for four years and feel the same. Easily best office chair ive ever had, and you dont look like a Twitch streamer while sitting in it.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
have a HM aeron at work and learned I am not a fan of mesh chairs. I've been eyeing the Secret labs Omega cloth chair for a while now. Just waiting on my bonus lol

if you are a larger person, the titan style chair may fit you better.

First heard about this chair on the beastcast from Jeff and have been intrigued for a while.
I have the Titan, it's the best racing style chair I've owned - well-built and very comfy to lounge in, if you really want a racing style chair it would be by far my best pick. The gas lift gave out pretty quick but I was also a little over the weight limit back when I got it a couple of years ago, I also don't find the lumbar adjustment that useful, I've never been able to get it to a position that felt both supportive and comfortable, also after a couple of years of use the arms have a lot of wear and tear on both the materials and joints though I've hard they've improved the design with the newer models so take that with more salt than usual.

The issue is that it still doesn't fix the inherent problems with racing style chairs, they're real bad for your body over long periods of sitting as they're not designed to be ergonomic and adjustable to an individuals needs (they're closer to one size fits all than not) and actively encourage bad posture. After going through several racing style chairs over the past decade (I sit 8+ hours a day) and coming out the other side with constant back and neck pain I would never recommend them personally. If you have the money Steelcase make the best non-mesh chairs on the market, I much prefer them to HM personally but pretty much any chair that has an adjustable neck support, adjustable lumbar (pillows are pretty awful at both of these things and as I said I find the Titan's lumbar pretty useless personally) and adjustable seat pan will do you 1000x better than a racing chair from a health perspective.

OP
OP

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Man this sucks, as it's definitely one of those, "I'm getting old" moments. I've been sitting on Staples specials, and other cheaper chairs for years. Now I'm at the point of, "drop video card money on a dang chair". It's like when I went back home and stayed on the guest mattress in my parents guest room (my old room), and ended up mad cold and my back was sore for days afterwards.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I use this trash kitchen chair that came with my house. I honestly should upgrade to something more comfortable.

I sit with my legs crossed often, anyone have a good chair for that? Like, both or one tucked under me crossed, not just my ankles.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Man this sucks, as it's definitely one of those, "I'm getting old" moments. I've been sitting on Staples specials, and other cheaper chairs for years. Now I'm at the point of, "drop video card money on a dang chair". It's like when I went back home and stayed on the guest mattress in my parents guest room (my old room), and ended up mad cold and my back was sore for days afterwards.
Probably not what you want to hear, but the most important things you want to invest in are mattress, shoes, and seating. You spend 1/3 of your day in bed, >1/3 in shoes (standing or sitting) and probably close to the rest sitting down at home.

I haven't ordered from them, but Madison Seating sells Herman Miller chairs at close to half-off for just being open-box. I figure if you're going to buy anything "pre-owned" or on the border of, buy the thing that's supposed to last 15yrs anyway.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely search your local area to see if there is a reputable (ie. no fly-by-night) office furniture outlet or something similar in your area. I bought a Steelcase Leap v2 from a local outlet for $350 that was listed as used, but honestly looks like it has never seen one person sit in it. I actually suspect it is actually brand new.

This place had a ton of Leaps and Aerons and other chairs from both Steelcase and HM all within the same price point. Some were very obviously used which is why I suspect the one I bought actually, there is literally not one sign of wear on the thing.

Like someone said, I'm not a fan of the Aeron since I'm not a fan of mesh chairs that have no actual cushion.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
facebook marketplace and craiglist are good places to find used chairs that you can test yourself first too. That's how I tried herman millers a few years back and got them for cheap. Ended up not liking them ( seat depth too big) and reselling them for the same price i bought them for.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD

0399810_PE563882_S5.jpg

I third the Markus!

Seriously though it has been a great chair. Nice and comfortable and holding up pretty damn well. Plus, at leats when I got it, it had a 10 yr warranty.

Brood

Nov 8, 2018

0399810_PE563882_S5.jpg

As someone who owns one. I pretty much stopped PC gaming because of how terrible this chair is. 30 minutes in and my ass and lower back are in pain.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
just found out our conference room use Humanscale Smart Ocean chairs. Those are comfy (i want to take one for my office lol)

OP
OP

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Looking at videos in the background today, I think I'd like to shoot for the Steelcase Leap. But of course there seem to be fewer of those on the secondary market.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I hear good things about the WorkPro Quantum 9000

www.officedepot.com

WorkPro Quantum 9000 Series Ergonomic MeshMesh Mid Back Chair BlackBlack BIFMA Compliant - Office Depot

As your productivity heats up you can stay cool on this WorkPro Quantum 9000 Series Mesh Mid Back Chair. The adjustable office chairs mesh back and seat help promote airflow to keep you comfortable when answering e mails meeting with co workers and handling day to day duties. The lumbar on the...

You can probably try one at your local Office Depot

OP
OP

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Anyone have any experience with Madison Seating? Their pricing seems too good to be true considering they seem to be offering free shipping. They come in like $100 lower than what's locally advertised.

Oct 27, 2017
I could use some advice on this as well. I'm a tall guy, like 6'4", and I like to sit perch style in my chair. I also like to not wear a shirt because I'm an unrefined ruffian, and because of that I have constantly gotten an itchy back from mesh chairs rubbing against my skin. Does anyone know of a big chair that has a comfy seat cushion and a non-mesh back?

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Look used? I bought a steelcase leap v2 used for $300 CAD. It was in great shape and there's no difference between it and the one I've have at the place I work for 6 years now. It's definitely my forever chair. Thousands of hours logged and 0 discomfort or back pain. Worth every damn penny even if I had bought it at $800-$1000 new.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting, already have a used Steelcase from Craigslist, but I'm definitely bookmarking this site.
Anyone have any experience with Madison Seating? Their pricing seems too good to be true considering they seem to be offering free shipping. They come in like $100 lower than what's locally advertised.
I only know about the site because my friend just ordered one from it. Further searching definitely seems negative reception than positive. I'll update when he gets his chair, but I'd be wary I suppose.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Bro you can at least buy them.

I can't even find them here. I can buy a brand new motorcycle with the price they are asking for Aerons here.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Used Herman Miller or Steelcase are best, otherwise maybe give something from HON or IKEA a shot but I'd try them first to ensure they're comfortable. Avoid gaming chairs like the plague except maybe clutch, but also think if you want a tacky racecar chair in your house and how a potential significant other might feel about it lol

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
be aware madison seating has some questionable return policies. 10-30% restocking fees, 5% cancellation fees. All damage needs to be reported within 24 hrs of delivery. Oddly enough they put their ordering FAQs in the "About Us" section.

everything they sell is "open box"

Oct 25, 2017
Sacramento
I only know about the site because my friend just ordered one from it. Further searching definitely seems negative reception than positive. I'll update when he gets his chair, but I'd be wary I suppose.
be aware madison seating has some questionable return policies. 10-30% restocking fees, 5% cancellation fees. All damage needs to be reported within 24 hrs of delivery. Oddly enough they put their ordering FAQs in the "About Us" section.

everything they sell is "open box"

Good to know!

Exagenous

Jan 3, 2018
I ended up getting a "used" HM chair off of eBay for about 50% off retail. No problems with the one I got but you have to be careful.

OP
OP

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Nov 8, 2017
Sorry to bump this thread, but I was about to replace my old cheap and broken IKEA chair with a Secretlab TITAN 2020 after reading some very positive reviews of this chair, but I wisely decided to see what Era thought before hitting the Purchase button.

So after reading a lot of the general advice in this thread on avoiding gaming-specific chairs due to promoting bad posture and such, I'm now in a lot of doubt about the TITAN.

But the thing is, judging entirely by the pictures, I don't really see how the TITAN could be that much worse or different for your posture than any regular office chair?

The chair will be used for my PC (non-gaming) at a desk, and also my PS4 in front of my TV. Can anyone offer any advice regarding this chair?

Here is a picture of the chair:

OP
OP

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Sorry to bump this thread, but I was about to replace my old cheap and broken IKEA chair with a Secretlab TITAN 2020 after reading some very positive reviews of this chair, but I wisely decided to see what Era thought before hitting the Purchase button.

So after reading a lot of the general advice in this thread on avoiding gaming-specific chairs due to promoting bad posture and such, I'm now in a lot of doubt about the TITAN.

But the thing is, judging entirely by the pictures, I don't really see how the TITAN could be that much worse or different for your posture than any regular office chair?

The chair will be used for my PC (non-gaming) at a desk, and also my PS4 in front of my TV. Can anyone offer any advice regarding this chair?

Here is a picture of the chair:
Don't be sorry about bumping this thread.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
I've had a gaming chair for 3 years or more now and frankly it's the most comfy I've ever had. 100$ chair. Not sure why it has such a bad reputation nowadays.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I'm gonna piggyback on this I need a chair as well, but I'm a fat fuck and most chairs are only rated 250 lbs. I weigh 280 can someone point me in the right direction?

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was just in the same boat. I realized that the $150 or so chairs I'd get at Staples/OfficeMax would last just a few years and was sick of endlessly replacing them. Last week I looked at used office furniture stores in the area and bought a used Steelcase Leap for 200. It's a solid chair and even though it's used I expect it'll last much longer and be much more comfortable than buying another Staples type chair would be.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Wish this thread would have appeared a couple weeks ago when I was looking to getting a new chair. I had an office chair for a couple years that was still comfortable but it was slowly breaking down in other ways so I knew I needed to replace it sooner than later. I got a racing style gaming chair since I got to try one out at E3 and thought it was more comfortable than it looked. It is way better for my posture than my old chair and the build quality seems better than my last chair which was in a similar price range, but after using it for a week now, the seat is really firm and does feel a little uncomfortable.

I hope I don't regret my purchase.

OP
OP

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Update. After a week of calling around locally I managed to score a deal on a used Steelcase Leap V2 for $249. I've only sat in it for a little bit at my desk but this thing is great!! This video helped me decide to target the Leap over the Aeron.

Will report back after more sitting time has been had as there are quite a number of adjustment knobs and levers on this thing.

Edit:I am doing to have to reconfigure my desk to be lightly lower which is going to be quite a pain because of how much stuff I have on its shelves.

Last edited: