astro

Oct 25, 2017
Could we also say that part of the problem is part of the base thinking that they need to play every single FF in order before touching the newer generations like XV and XVI?
I see people asking if they have to play any previous games on Era sometimes for sure. I do think this must factor in somehow, just how much it has an effect is going to be hard to figure out.

Unless anyone has done a decently sized poll or something that could shed some light on it. Square Enix must be asking these questions too, they must have looked into it too surely....

DamageEX2

May 20, 2024
Yeah. The genre is in a really bad place nowadays. It's clearly not appealing to wide audiences, and it's basically been squeezing the same demographic of people in their late 30s for almost 20 years, while more and more of us get sick of it or get too busy to play long RPGs and peel off every year. It also feels like a large chunk of the JRPG fanbase (and the majority of younger players who COULD get into the genre) is just settled on games like Genshin, HSR and (I guess) ZZZ and doesn't have the time or energy or money to buy every major release.

And, like, Persona is healthier than FF is in terms of sheer sales vs. budget, but even Persona games still only sell around 3 million and make a lot of their money on ports and rereleases. Persona 6 will probably sell roughly the same amount of copies day one as Persona 5 did, just spread out more across multiple platforms instead of being focused exclusively on PS until it got late ports to other systems.

I just feel like even when a JRPG becomes a big hit and goes super-viral, the best it can muster is like 5 million units. I just don't think the genre has the potential for viral success the same way a Souls game or BG3 did.
Persona 5 Royal its still massive on Steam and it still having great legs, thats a game that its going millions in the next years if the legs go on like that.

I think it depends, it wasnt a huge sucess day 1 like BG3, but just like Hollow Knight and Undertale, this sucess will help the next title and the game itself sell for years

silentq15

Aug 15, 2022
One thing I am still trying to understand is how something like Balder's Gate 3 which if we are honest really is rather niche but a great game can sell so much based on essentially word of mouth yet Rebirth which also has great word of mouth and is really a great game cannot achieve this. It really is a bizarre situation when you think about it.

Ara63

Nov 21, 2023
It's hardly surprising. People have a hard time understanding that IP is not the same as a piece of art. It's branding, for commercial reasons. Art is not reproducible through an industrial process. You cannot just take a piece of art, give it to new people and expect they will create the same thing or even a thing in the same spirit. Art isn't a recipe that you can just pass along to the next person and expect your pie to come out the same. Most of the time, you will end up with a superficial imitation.

Souls games have a soul, because their original creator, Miyazaki, is still there. Star Wars isn't really Star Wars without George Lucas, and Final Fantasy has not really been Final Fantasy since Sakaguchi left.

And I'm not trying to say it's better or worse – but simple that it's just not the same, it doesn't share the same values, most of the new people working on it don't really embody the mindset that led to its creation, and instead imprint their own. The only thing that remains is the names and iconic images.

I urge everyone to cherish pieces of art, and creators, not IPs.

I get the general idea you mean here, but I don't think boiling games like these down to one person's input is a good way to think about things. It minimises the work of many devs and staff who have been there from the start to say "this thing hinges on the work of this one person".

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
they keep wasting years of brand development on bad projects. ffxv, while good games ff7 remake should not have been trilogy thats takes a decade plus to make, ff13 trilogy. releasing divisive games that take a long time to make gives you less room for immediate recovery of your brand. then you have the whole thing with mmo relaunches that wasted even more time

May 24, 2021
When Rebirth launched they did a twin pack that costed exactly as much as Rebirth alone (so Remake for free), and it bombed still 🤷‍♂️

I know, but I'm hoping a "Complete Trilogy" pack will do better because it'll be the finished story.

Kinda crossing my fingers for the Switch 2 to get the collection too (hopefully whatever deal SE has with Sony will be done relatively soon).

astro

Oct 25, 2017
they keep wasting years of brand development on bad projects. ffxv, while good games ff7 remake should not have been trilogy thats takes a decade plus to make, ff13 trilogy. releasing divisive games that take a long time to make gives you less room for immediate recovery of your brand. then you have the whole thing with mmo relaunches that wasted even more time
Are you listing FFXV as bad game there?

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
One thing I am still trying to understand is how something like Balder's Gate 3 which if we are honest really is rather niche but a great game can sell so much based on essentially word of mouth yet Rebirth which also has great word of mouth and is really a great game cannot achieve this. It really is a bizarre situation when you think about it.
Rebirths good word of mouth didn't break out of the bubble of people who were already playing Rebirth. Rebirth was impressive mostly to people who were already Final Fantasy fans.

Even if newer players heard it was good, they would have had to dive into Remake at minimum to understand what was going on.

DamageEX2

May 20, 2024
People love the called emergent gameplay and the ideia that you can break the game, people like the characters and most important of all, It went viral because two indies devs commenting how they couldnt do something like that.

Casual audiences interpreted that It was about AAA market and that way a narrative It was created that Larian its the industry savior.

A lot of it came from the idea that we doesnt have great games anymore, despite games like GOW Ragnarok and many others releasing months earlier, in the end its about casual audiences following the narrative and fomo.

hazbaz

Dec 16, 2023
Simple: No PC release.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
They have an identity and they've been refining their games over time. Them putting out a magnificent game as their popularity has grown has led to tremendous word-of-mouth and hype. We're going to see a similar explosion if Persona 6 releases on all platforms on Day 1 and if it reviews well. It's a proven, winning formula in the industry where if you've got an identity and if you're growing an audience, you're going to have huge successes when your next release continues to improve on that identity while reviewing very well at the same time.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it helps swapping your gameplay all the time, no. I think during its hayday on PS1, people knew what they were getting for the most part, only artstyle tangibly changed. It wasn't really until 12 where you finally saw massive gameplay departures.

Both XIII and XV did sell really well despite also being departures, so I don't think it's the entire story, though.

I think it's a lot of factors that mix together. The most important is honestly the brand just doesn't carry enough weight anymore.

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
It's hardly surprising. People have a hard time understanding that IP is not the same as a piece of art. It's branding, for commercial reasons. Art is not reproducible through an industrial process. You cannot just take a piece of art, give it to new people and expect they will create the same thing or even a thing in the same spirit. Art isn't a recipe that you can just pass along to the next person and expect your pie to come out the same. Most of the time, you will end up with a superficial imitation.

Souls games have a soul, because their original creator, Miyazaki, is still there. Star Wars isn't really Star Wars without George Lucas, and Final Fantasy has not really been Final Fantasy since Sakaguchi left.

And I'm not trying to say it's better or worse – but simple that it's just not the same, it doesn't share the same values, most of the new people working on it don't really embody the mindset that led to its creation, and instead imprint their own. The only thing that remains is the names and iconic images.

I urge everyone to cherish pieces of art, and creators, not IPs.

While it's true that there has been a change throughout the series' history, IMO that change started as of FFVI when Kitase started directing FF games with Sakaguchi as producer. You can make a case for FFV being the start as well since the change in tone after FFV is blatant. Kitase still works with Square to this day and you can still feel his flair in the projects he works on. Through his work on FFXIV, Yoshi-P and his team have a lot of reverance for the series' history and take great care in continuing to uphold the series' value and soul.

A lack of confidence post The Spirits Within has lead to rash project ideas, for sure, but it's not fair to attribute the series' soul to a single person who worked with a wide team of developers that have also helped craft the series' identity.

Cappy

Feb 5, 2018
Baldur's Gate 3 is really one of those things where it's like, the first thing was that absurd bear sex moment. That blew the doors open for people on 'what even is this,' and then you had videos of people stacking boxes the size of a castle to attack someone and it's like okay I see the vision here. It helps it's a game you could play with your friends, too, it wasn't just a solo experience. And then obviously, it's a well-made game that sells itself beyond just the cute videos. Rebirth had people saying it was great, it was fun, but there's nothing to get people's attention that says "I need to play this video game, I need to see what this is." I mean, to be fair, most video games are like that. BG3 isn't something you can manufacture every time.

silentq15

Aug 15, 2022
They have an identity and they've been refining their games over time. Them putting out a magnificent game as their popularity has grown has led to tremendous word-of-mouth and hype. We're going to see a similar explosion if Persona 6 releases on all platforms on Day 1 and if it reviews well. It's a proven, winning formula in the industry where if you've got an identity and if you're growing an audience, you're going to have huge successes when your next release continues to improve on that identity while reviewing very well at the same time.
So here is the thing with the identity thing with Rebirth. It actually has one its identity is Final Fantasy VII the most influential and celebrated RPG of all time. It's baffling that is not enough.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
So here is the thing with the identity thing with Rebirth. It actually has one its identity is Final Fantasy VII the most influential and celebrated RPG of all time. It's baffling that is not enough.
They can't keep leaning on a game from 30 years and expecting new players to show up.

Younger people don't care about Final Fantasy VII. It's legendary to us olds, but we don't run the show anymore.

NicoNicoRose

Dec 9, 2020
Portland, OR
I admit I don't care for the action-focused direction of the series, but I enjoy Rebirth's system well enough. What's killing the new mainline ones for me is both the increased focus on action and reduction on party combined with how terribly the series has been treating women for ages. VII has the advantage of great characters like Aerith and Tifa remaining from the old days (though they are treated far from perfectly), whereas both of the most recent mainline non-remake games have had *really* bad issues with women, a reduction in women's roles, continued lack of women as playable characters or protagonists, etc.

It's a series increasingly telling me it's not worth my interest.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
its development was mismanaged and it shows in the game. it may have sold well but i lt doesn't seem to have translated into improved health for the brand
The game clearly had issues caused by mismanaged development yeh, and they need to avoid that, but if the end result is very good sales I don't think that XV can be pointed as a reason for their current problems nor was it wasted ultimately.

And what are their current problems?

Their latest mainline game is selling relatively poorly.

The overly ambitious remake project that is confusingly also a sequel that split a game from the 90s into 3 AAA game sized parts and probably relied too much on VII's branding is seeing poor sales for the second part.

I don't think any of this can be traced back to XV as part of the problem, rather:

1. Current mainline game didn't land with audiences. This happens. it is reasonable to say their next mainline game could turm this around.
2. Remake project was overly ambitious and potentially confusing leading to its own set of unique issues.

Selling 10 million at what price?
5 million at launch means full price and the other 5 million? 20 bucks? 10 bucks? We don't track that.
If it was so great to SQEX, why did they canned announced DLC?
We have no idea why they did. But trying to spin 10 million as not that good actually is not where the thread should go lol.

Majunior

Jun 20, 2019
Baldur's Gate 3 is really one of those things where it's like, the first thing was that absurd bear sex moment. That blew the doors open for people on 'what even is this,' and then you had videos of people stacking boxes the size of a castle to attack someone and it's like okay I see the vision here. It helps it's a game you could play with your friends, too, it wasn't just a solo experience. And then obviously, it's a well-made game that sells itself beyond just the cute videos. Rebirth had people saying it was great, it was fun, but there's nothing to get people's attention that says "I need to play this video game, I need to see what this is." I mean, to be fair, most video games are like that. BG3 isn't something you can manufacture every time.
The biggest moment for BG3 was when that one person talked about how we shouldn't expect BG3 levels of quality from other games. The message got disorted into "BG3 is so good, it's scaring other AAA developers" and people used it as a rallying point against modern gaming. That narrative was able to snowball because it was around the time when people were complaining about how bad new games are.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
People got a taste of Final Fantasy VII in 1997. Then they got sold another taste with Final Fantasy VII Remake. And then they were told, hey wait, come get some more Final Fantasy VII with Rebirth. It's not baffling to think that not everybody wants to drop another $70 to still not finish the story.

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
The numerals are also hurting them IMO. Personally more than identity, it's the long stretches of time between releases that is really harming SE. They are slow like molasses, the gaming world is moving faster than they can keep up with. The decision to break VII out over nearly a decade shows they didn't understand there is a finite window to execute and conclude a project.

DamageEX2

May 20, 2024
The biggest moment for BG3 was when that one person talked about how we shouldn't expect BG3 levels of quality from other games. The message got disorted into "BG3 is so good, it's scaring other AAA developers" and people used it as a rallying point against modern gaming. That narrative was able to snowball because it was around the time when people were complaining about how bad new games are.
Its exactly because of that, the scores helped but a lot of the narrative came from It and casual audiences thinking that It was about AAA games, despite a lot of people talking it was about smaller CRPGS games

Robotoboy

Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK
Final Fantasy's entire legacy and actual origins are often misinterpreted, and unknown here in the West.

The franchise or IP - was always a trend chaser. Sure Final Fantasy innovated somewhat, but it was actually just a giant copycat of Dragon Quest in everything but story, and even then I'd argue that it followed a similar narrative structure (at least in the first entries). The only truly innovative mechanic that was TRULY a Final Fantasy staple was the ATB system. Which was created as a way to circumvent "turn-based" combat. (Square) Final Fantasy wanted to showcase complex battles that felt active and real-time with lots of characters at once.

After a point both Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy eventually found their own separate paths (after FFVII) of course - but Final Fantasy was always trying to escape its inspirations shadow. It did that by finding a market in the West. So if you put two and two together you begin to see why Square(-Enix) has entered this trajectory with the series.

Back in the early 2000's and even late 90's there was a huge swath of vocal critics who would constantly complain about how awful turn-based battles were. They often found the ATB system to be a half-step... and not good enough. So you can see why Final Fantasy has slowly become what it is. It became focused on spectacle, and trying to give the player agency within that spectacle. The nostalgia for turn-based battles is a relatively recent market development (I wouldn't say SUPER recent, but definitely around 2019 or so is when it began to really pick up steam).

What you get then is something that doesn't "feel" like Final Fantasy. They're action RPG's with huge spectacular bombastic scenes. Something I think the series was always headed towards. FFXVI was just a full embracement of that and expulsion of the RPG elements (the numbers don't really matter in that game)

Also XVI's MMO leanings aren't in its boss battles. Those are HEAVILY Platinum Games faire. The MMO stuff is in all the boring inbetween meandering. The sidequests where you need to crouch and move your hand around like your doing something while a timer goes, then run AAAAAAALL the way back Jim the farmer to give him his wool.

I think people don't really understand that about Final Fantasy in general. Like they've all been very different, and I meet people who have their favorites, and ones they dislike all the time. My favorites are FFIX, and FFVI for instance. I think the Nomura games aren't very good, and I find X onwards to be kind of boring. (Though I loved the combat of XVI but I also love Devil May Cry, so it worked for me - I play a lot of genres). I think XIV is probably the least Final Fantasy like game as you only control one character and the progression is all very surface level... That's just my opinion though.

I do think ultimately I agree with the articles point though. The brand identity is so muddled and confused that it doesn't have a "core" audience. Which causes the games to sell not so good. Dragon Quest meanwhile has typically stayed pretty consistent with its IP's expectations - and thus you know exactly what you're getting with a Dragon Quest game. It's never faltered in that regard. Final Fantasy needs to revisit it's most successful era (VI through IX) I think, because action "RPG's" aren't cutting it for a lot of people who loved their older games.

Cappy

Feb 5, 2018
I remember that, but didn't that whole conversation blow up after the game had already come out? Maybe I'm not remembering the timeline right, because it's been a minute, but BG3 was explosive out of the gate.

Oct 25, 2017

Baldurs gate 3 had a far stronger ability to go viral due to its combination of systems heavy gameplay, dating sim, and general quality. Similar to something like breath of the wild or Skyrim back in the day, there's so many opportunities to go "hey check this crazy thing out" and put it online for millions to see. Rebirth can't do that. It's too static.

I loved the game, but there's never a point where it can market itself through stronger, truly viral word of mouth since the player can't do anything beyond the obvious. This is also why people saying FF could go turn-based again because of BG3's success are clearly not paying attention.

amzl

Sep 5, 2024
Absolutely. 15 and 16 are atrocious in what they they try to do. As a long time fan I really don't understand the direction this series is going to.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Selling 10 million at what price?
5 million at launch means full price and the other 5 million? 20 bucks? 10 bucks? We don't track that.
If it was so great to SQEX, why did they canned announced DLC?

They canned the announced DLC because of creative differences between Matsuda and Tabata which left to the latter leaving the company, and because DLC ~3 years after launch is basically never a good idea for any game. The fact that the tail end of the second wave of DLC was deemed not viable due to a multitude of factors, doesn't mean that XV, and even it's first year+ of support was not a success, especially when Squeenix said they broke even day one/day zero and it was part of the reason they had one of their best financial periods ever around the release of the game.

image.png

image.png

In terms of sale prices, this is basically every blockbuster game ever. Give it a couple months and you will usually be able to find a game at half off if not more depending on where you look. We see the same thing in the Inqusiiton thread where you have users saying "But how many of those 12m copies sold at sale prices huh?". The answer for any game which has sold 10m copies is usually "a lot of them". At a bare minimum they sold probably close to 5-6 million copies at full price, which is an order of magnitude more than what a lot of games do.

FFXV, by basically every metric, was a runaway success for Squeenix.

The game clearly had issues caused by mismanaged development yeh, and they need to avoid that, but if the end result is very good sales I don't think that XV can be pointed as a reason for their current problems nor was it wasted ultimately.

And what are their current problems?

Their latest mainline game is selling relarively poorly currently.

The overly ambitious remake project that is confusingly also a sequel that split a game from the 90s into 3 AAA game sized parts is seeing poor sales for the second part.

I don't think any of this can be traced back to XV as part of the problem, rather:

1. Current mainline game didn't land with audiences. This happens.
2. Remake project was overly ambitious and potentially confusing leading to its own set of unique issues.

Importantly XV had massive legs. This isn't a case of like Resi6 where the game sold a lot up front (and even then sold less than capcom forecast at launch) and then never sold much more. XV sold like 5m at launch, 1m+ within another month or so when all reviews and whatnot were out, and then like a 1m and change a year for next several years. This isn't including DLC sales either.

To believe that it was all hype or something you'd have to believe that somehow the game continued to sell in spite of presumably negative word of mouth. To believe that it meaningfully damaged the brand you'd expect to see a drop off for the next title. Unfortunately the game was/is Squeenix's best PC launch, with very positive steam reviews, and 7 Remake sold perfectly fine for a single platform with legs comparable to XV.

The constant relitigation of "was 10m copies actually a bad thing" is always so absurd. You'd think that people would be able to say "huh game sold well even if I don't like it". I literally have to do that with basically every Pokemon game lmao. It would be like if I went through Metacritic reviews for XVI and started arbitrarily excluding them for reasons to say that actually game didn't review well lol.

silentq15

Aug 15, 2022
Baldurs gate 3 had a far stronger ability to go viral due to its combination of systems heavy gameplay, dating sim, and general quality. Similar to something like breath of the wild or Skyrim back in the day, there's so many opportunities to go "hey check this crazy thing out" and put it online for millions to see. Rebirth can't do that. It's too static.

I loved the game, but there's never a point where it can market itself through stronger, truly viral word of mouth since the player can't do anything beyond the obvious. This is also why people saying FF could go turn-based again because of BG3's success are clearly not paying attention.
It does really seem that this concept of needing the to allow games to have weird unpredictable stuff so somebody can make a Tik-Tok video about it is what is emerging. Like I get it the kids consume all their media this way but it is kind of a shame that essentially most games have to be this to succeed at this point. The idea of a curated story with scripted moments seems to be out of fashion.

420blzUP

Oct 6, 2022
I think you're underestimating the value of the DnD license to some extent, since it's more popular than ever now and the success of things like critical role really shouldn't be understated and spreads beyond people who have personally played DnD. It would've still been a big success regardless, but the fact that it was DnD definitely still helped it a lot by drawing way more eyes than it would've gotten otherwise. Going forward the success of BG3 will mean Larian's own brand will be bolstered a lot, but if they had just made OS3 you'd have gotten a good but modest success like the previous OS games, though improved, probably not the huge breakout hit we got
Not that long before BG3 came out we had a universally DnD movie came out and flop hard.
D:OS sold 2,5 million copies and D:OS2 sold 7, 5 million copies, with zero marketing and in a world without TikTok and YT shorts. BG3 follows the D:OS->D:OS2 trajectory the same way D:OS3 would have followed it in it's place.

Majunior

Jun 20, 2019
I remember that, but didn't that whole conversation blow up after the game had already come out? Maybe I'm not remembering the timeline right, because it's been a minute, but BG3 was explosive out of the gate.
I believe it was in mid July?

"baldur's gate 3 only became popular because people misunderstood tweets" is a new one
Are you talking about my post? Because that's not what I said. The tweet was what kicked off the conversation of BG3 basically being the antithesis of modern gaming. There's even an IGN video that reached almost 2m views that's literally titled Baldur's Gate 3 is Causing Some Developers to Panic.

JoeyJungle

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't get the whole "FF needs to redefine itself because sales are bad", FF7 Remake sold fine and both FF7 games have super high critical scores.

I think F7 Rebirth had low sales because it's a direct sequel to the first game, and also a PS5 exclusive, so it only got bought by people who played and beat the first one and also own a PS5.

After the final game comes out, I think FF7 trilogy bundle is gonna sell like the KH collection and have super long legs.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy's entire legacy and actual origins are often misinterpreted, and unknown here in the West.

The franchise or IP - was always a trend chaser. Sure Final Fantasy innovated somewhat, but it was actually just a giant copycat of Dragon Quest in everything but story, and even then I'd argue that it followed a similar narrative structure (at least in the first entries). The only truly innovative mechanic that was TRULY a Final Fantasy staple was the ATB system. Which was created as a way to circumvent "turn-based" combat. (Square) Final Fantasy wanted to showcase complex battles that felt active and real-time with lots of characters at once.

After a point both Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy eventually found their own separate paths (after FFVII) of course - but Final Fantasy was always trying to escape its inspirations shadow. It did that by finding a market in the West. So if you put two and two together you begin to see why Square(-Enix) has entered this trajectory with the series.

Back in the early 2000's and even late 90's there was a huge swath of vocal critics who would constantly complain about how awful turn-based battles were. They often found the ATB system to be a half-step... and not good enough. So you can see why Final Fantasy has slowly become what it is. It became focused on spectacle, and trying to give the player agency within that spectacle. The nostalgia for turn-based battles is a relatively recent market development (I wouldn't say SUPER recent, but definitely around 2019 or so is when it began to really pick up steam).

What you get then is something that doesn't "feel" like Final Fantasy. They're action RPG's with huge spectacular bombastic scenes. Something I think the series was always headed towards. FFXVI was just a full embracement of that and expulsion of the RPG elements (the numbers don't really matter in that game)

Also XVI's MMO leanings aren't in its boss battles. Those are HEAVILY Platinum Games faire. The MMO stuff is in all the boring inbetween meandering. The sidequests where you need to crouch and move your hand around like your doing something while a timer goes, then run AAAAAAALL the way back Jim the farmer to give him his wool.

I think people don't really understand that about Final Fantasy in general. Like they've all been very different, and I meet people who have their favorites, and ones they dislike all the time. My favorites are FFIX, and FFVI for instance. I think the Nomura games aren't very good, and I find X onwards to be kind of boring. (Though I loved the combat of XVI but I also love Devil May Cry, so it worked for me - I play a lot of genres). I think XIV is probably the least Final Fantasy like game as you only control one character and the progression is all very surface level... That's just my opinion though.

I do think ultimately I agree with the articles point though. The brand identity is so muddled and confused that it doesn't have a "core" audience. Which causes the games to sell not so good. Dragon Quest meanwhile has typically stayed pretty consistent with its IP's expectations - and thus you know exactly what you're getting with a Dragon Quest game. It's never faltered in that regard. Final Fantasy needs to revisit it's most successful era (VI through IX) I think, because action "RPG's" aren't cutting it for a lot of people who loved their older games.
I'm quoting this because it's 100% correct.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
They canned the announced DLC because of creative differences between Matsuda and Tabata which left to the latter leaving the company, and because DLC ~3 years after launch is basically never a good idea for any game. The fact that the tail end of the second wave of DLC was deemed not viable due to a multitude of factors, doesn't mean that XV, and even it's first year+ of support was not a success, especially when Squeenix said they broke even day one/day zero and it was part of the reason they had one of their best financial periods ever around the release of the game.

image.png

image.png

In terms of sale prices, this is basically every blockbuster game ever. Give it a couple months and you will usually be able to find a game at half off if not more depending on where you look. We see the same thing in the Inqusiiton thread where you have users saying "But how many of those 12m copies sold at sale prices huh?". The answer for any game which has sold 10m copies is usually "a lot of them". At a bare minimum they sold probably close to 5-6 million copies at full price, which is an order of magnitude more than what a lot of games do.

FFXV, by basically every metric, was a runaway success for Squeenix.

Importantly XV had massive legs. This isn't a case of like Resi6 where the game sold a lot up front (and even then sold less than capcom forecast at launch) and then never sold much more. XV sold like 5m at launch, 1m+ within another month or so when all reviews and whatnot were out, and then like a 1m and change a year for next several years. This isn't including DLC sales either.

To believe that it was all hype or something you'd have to believe that somehow the game continued to sell in spite of presumably negative word of mouth. To believe that it meaningfully damaged the brand you'd expect to see a drop off for the next title. Unfortunately the game was/is Squeenix's best PC launch, with very positive steam reviews, and 7 Remake sold perfectly fine for a single platform with legs comparable to XV.

The constant relitigation of "was 10m copies actually a bad thing" is always so absurd. You'd think that people would be able to say "huh game sold well even if I don't like it". I literally have to do that with basically every Pokemon game lmao. It would be like if I went through Metacritic reviews for XVI and started arbitrarily excluding them for reasons to say that actually game didn't review well lol.
Thank you for providing that info and for contextualizing it all so clearly. I'd like to think your post will make a difference, we'll see haha.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
If there's an identity crisis it probably began after X, before that the games were distinct from each other but you could tell they were part of the same series, after X it all became a bit blurrier.

Either the great word of mouth isn't as massive or just not that good, a lot of the time you see people that a game's sales will be carried by its word of mouth and it never ends up happening probably because of those reasons or the word of mouth is limited to certain circles, this may be one of those cases as opposed to BG3.

Saito Hikari

Jul 3, 2021
IIRC it was about a week after BG3 was launched and the reviews dropped. BG3 was already going viral then, this pushed it even higher into the stratosphere.

EDIT: Checking around, it was indeed mid-July, but people kept referencing that all the way to GOTY season. The gasoline really got poured on this when that Diablo 4 dev chimed in, which probably did way more marketing for the game towards the mainstream audience (especially those really aggrieved by the Diablo 4 launch a few months earlier) than Larian themselves did. You literally had people talking about what that dev said for weeks in the Diablo subreddit with thousands of upvotes each time, even though both games were nothing alike.

Also, as a side note for people to chew on, BG3 early access had already achieved 2 million sales on week 1, all the way back in 2020. The majority of it was attributed to people loving the combat design of their previous game Divinity Original Sin 2, as Larian did not have a reputation for strong writing back then (they were actually formerly seen as the worst of the major cRPG developers for that).

Last edited:

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I just don't get the whole "FF needs to redefine itself because sales are bad", FF7 Remake sold fine and both FF7 games have super high critical scores.

I think F7 Rebirth had low sales because it's a direct sequel to the first game, and also a PS5 exclusive, so it only got bought by people who played and beat the first one and also own a PS5.

After the final game comes out, I think FF7 trilogy bundle is gonna sell like the KH collection and have super long legs.

FF7R is a remake project, and part 3 is the final one and its happening no matter what. Hamaguchi got a promotion AFTER the game launched (so the initial sales were already known) and its headed by Kitase and Nomura who are near untouchable wsithin the company. Square would never cancel that game, and I doubt it will be reduced in scope either. Theres too much pride at play. Square has made it clear they wont bother with exclusivity deals anymore and focus on multiplatform so if there is any luck then part 3 will be able to launch on multiple platforms day 1.

But fo the main numbered titles, there has to be al ot of brainstorming going on. 16 was a good game with great quality but its reach was limited, in large part due to the exclusivity deal naturally, but it seems to have no legs while its predecessor did. Square probably does need to rethink their approach in how they make games, maybe throwing everything away each time is not a good idea anymore. Ironically Remake .-> Rebirth showed how good iterating can be in improving things, but the sales for one reason or another didn't show up, but regardless they shouldn't discard the lessons learned there.

silentq15

Aug 15, 2022
Either the great word of mouth isn't as massive or just not that good, a lot of the time you see people that a game's sales will be carried by its word of mouth and it never ends up happening probably because of those reasons or the word of mouth is limited to certain circles, this may be one of those cases as opposed to BG3.
Yeah this may be more about word of mouth in certain circles also. I will say I know its not the best reason but if any game needed to get GOTY at the Game Awards is FF7 Rebirth. I get people like those to be given to the best game which arguably Rebirth is but it needs it more than any game in recent years because of its sales situation. It really is so silly a game this good is struggling to sell and a GOTY could really go a long way in exposing it to a bigger audience.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Bring back turn based combat. Final Fantasy 13 was awesome. Give me more of that. I don't want real time combat in the mainline Final Fantasy games. FF should follow two formulas. One is real-time action like the FF7 remake and the other is turn based like FF13. The real time games should be spin off games, not mainline.

vio55555

Apr 11, 2024
It's interesting to think about but if Rebirth was a standalone game that didn't require Remake and wasn't tied to FF7 (i.e. new characters/story in those roles), I think it probably would have done better than FF16 and may have had better word of mouth even. i.e. If it was a similar game positioned as FF17 or something like that.

The problem is just the barrier to entry is so difficult to get over that it prevents word of mouth from working at all, especially when Remake wasn't finished by half its players and among the other half that beat Remake many likely just feel done with FF7 after Remake. Going meta and multiverse is a controversial choice these days given how much media has gone in that direction the past 5-10 years.

It's why I'm very bearish on part 3 and put a 2 million maximum on standalone sales for the final game. There's just no way to sell part 3 even if it's the best video game in 10 years; even if it reaches heights that no FF has reached since the 90s-00s. The barrier to entry is almost impossible to overcome if this requires playing through both Remake and Rebirth.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Bring back turn based combat. Final Fantasy 13 was awesome. Give me more of that. I don't want real time combat in the mainline Final Fantasy games. FF should follow two formulas. One is real-time action like the FF7 remake and the other is turn based like FF13. The real time games should be spin off games, not mainline.
13 was real time. MEnu-based, but very real-time. I'd argue the experience of playing it is closer to that of an action RPG than a turn-based one.