PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You're kidding.

God I'm going to really enjoy NG+. I feel like there are a lot of cool details I'm missing.

It plays for the first time at the very beginning of the game when Titan's arm breaks through the rock wall and starts the rockslide.

The second time I heard it is when Hugo has his first big emotional meltdown. It plays behind that whole monologue.

ProbablyRobbie

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the first game I've played in graphics mode on my PS5. Im a FPS guy usually.

That said it hasn't bothered me at all.

What an amazing looking game

kevinking94

Oct 28, 2017
This is the first game I've played in graphics mode on my PS5. Im a FPS guy usually.

That said it hasn't bothered me at all.

What an amazing looking game

Thats exactly how Im feeling too. I feel people who swear by performance mode are missing out on some amazing visuals and vistas.

The graphics mode honestly feels smoother than traditional 30fps to me.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
It plays for the first time at the very beginning of the game when Titan's arm breaks through the rock wall and starts the rockslide.

The second time I heard it is when Hugo has his first big emotional meltdown. It plays behind that whole monologue.
I'm ashamed that I missed it.

Have there been any other XIV musical references beside this, Garuda, and the Eureka theme being in one of the battle themes?

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
Sensible chuckle when I cleared my tenth hunt (apparently, wasn't tracking) and the Think, Mark! trophy popped. Definitely the XIV team.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm ashamed that I missed it.

Have there been any other XIV musical references beside this, Garuda, and the Eureka theme being in one of the battle themes?

There's another XIV musical quote that plays in the background of some cutscenes featuring major Sanbrequois NPCs and during exploration in the Caer Norvent dungeon. I can't remember exactly what track it's quoting but it may also be from a different part of Eureka.

Oct 27, 2017
Put me in the camp of people who like the laid-back simplicity of the side quests. Considering the insane things you can do in combat and the scale of some of the fights, it's nice to just serve soup and hear about what random Branded have endured and how they feel welcome now. That's actually kind of lovely.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Put me in the camp of people who like the laid-back simplicity of the side quests. Considering the insane things you can do in combat and the scale of some of the fights, it's nice to just serve soup and hear about what random Branded have endured and how they feel welcome now. That's actually kind of lovely.

Just started but maybe that's the aim so you can cool off and have downtime instead of constant action?

Wolf Parade

Feb 1, 2018
I'm only about 4 hours in but that
Odin vs Bahamut cutscene
was "holy shit jaw dropping" kinds of cool.

I was kinda slow to enjoy with the intro but from Caer Norvent it picks up beautifully with the story and gameplay. Wish I didn't have to sleep or work.

Yeah I just passed this part myself and it absolutely blew my mind. Could not believe what I was watching.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I thought that sidequest was so lame until you finished and got the context behind it. Then I was like 🥹. Loved the world building even though the quest itself is very simple.

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I am almost always a framerate guy, but I went with fidelity in this. Yeah, the motion blur sucks but the inconsistency in the performance mode drove me nuts.

crimilde

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 26, 2017
I played the whole game in performance mode and I thought it was fine lol. But then again I am not framerate-sensitive.

FatCatSings

Jan 31, 2023
I don't necessarily agree with this, but Gav seems to be crushing hard on Clive in the first half of the game for sure. And I'm not a shipper or someone who looks for these kind of things, so I imagine its really obvious to people who are inclined to see it.
Fully on board the Gav crushes on Clive train. Dude leaves lingering glances throughout the entire game.

I'm about to do my first S Rank hunt and I'm nervous. Still not fully settled on my latest Eikon load out and I should probably practice more in Training Mode but I'm too impatient. Getting ready to have my ass handed to me.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Fully on board the Gav crushes on Clive train. Dude leaves lingering glances throughout the entire game.

Yeah. The second Active Time Lore entry for Gav says that Clive rescuing Gav at the Kingsfall created an unbreakable bond between them, which can really be read either way - as Gav being Clive's best human friend or Gav being into Clive.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
The Hideaway is so cool, I'm caring a lot for these characters.

When Clive gets his power of friendship moment, I just know it's going to hit me like a truck emotionally because hanging around in the hideaway and doing these quests, I know Clive has the best of friends alongside him.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but Clive isn't going to threaten his seemingly asexual but not aromantic relationship with his life partner Jill

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Are there any websites with interesting build ideas? I am interested to know if there are any Eikon abilities that synergise well together.

Wolf Parade

Feb 1, 2018
I think you're not thinking of the folk who aren't great at these games, the majority casual crowd.

I have 3 mates who are my IRL hang out with mates, usual guys but only mild gamers, one is using all the rings except the combo one, and finding it still hard. One is using no rings and is finding it like a Souls to us 'hardcore gamers' and the other is finding it fine and using the dog ring (I'm also using the dog ring for now, until I've got my skills 100%).

I'm aces at slower games like Souls games and even didn't have too much trouble with Sekiro and Nioh, but I've still had a few close calls and 2 deaths in my game so far (I think I'm 25 hours in now, thought was more but seems it's that).

I find the combat empowering, in that i know if I don't mess up, I will slaughter my enemy, but I still need to pay attention for dodges and openings to take advantage of, I'm having a blast.

I think if you went in wanting balls to the wall challenge from the get-go, then it's the wrong game (or possibly, they should make FF mode avail for 1st playthrough, I'm still thinking on that one).

One million dollar idea I did have that they could patch in quite easily, they could put a Soulraga ring into the game, makes Clive take 20% more damage and closes parry windows by 20% or something for those wanting to go the other way in their first playthrough.....Yoshi, what you think??

I am a Dark Souls fanatic and have beaten most of them and I find the combat rewarding and challenging in it's own way. Not super difficult, but I have to think when fighting mid-boss and boss fights at least. Maybe because I haven't played a DMC like action game in over a decade? Souls gameplay cadence is very different.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Thats exactly how Im feeling too. I feel people who swear by performance mode are missing out on some amazing visuals and vistas.

The graphics mode honestly feels smoother than traditional 30fps to me.

I usually play in graphics mode, but the motion blur was actually making me feel sick. Why can't I turn it down or off?

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
How much more am I missing:

Ijust had the sex scene on the beach (omfg!).
I assume now it will be about destroying Waloed's MorherCrystal and then a final run towards the final dungeon.

Wondering if I can reach it today.

Also, is there a clear point of no return before the ending? Given the structure of the game I assume so (I imagine the final dungeon and boss will be an event on the map), but wanted to make sure. I might run towards the ending so I can finish it before going back to work (I have a 2 weeks business trip in Japan this week ffs) and then leisure around with the rest of the content whenever I can later.

Nov 19, 2019
I am glad that this game doesn't shy away from implying (and showing) same sex romantic interest

AND

I also appreciate stuff like Clive showing unalloyed and genuine gratitude to his male allies, like Gav. It is an extremely underrepresented dynamic between men in media, especially vidjagames.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't a FF game

Just got the Bahamut fight and can only conclude this is actually a Drakengard game

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I bit the bullet and played on graphics mode. The motion blur annoyed me at first. I didn't think I could handle quick action at 30 fps. I play the majority of my games at 165Hz, so it was jarring. But my brain adjusted over time. Game looks and feels great to me now, until I go to another high frame rate game heh. But it's certainly a lot less distracting that the erratic frame pacing of the performance mode.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I wonder if some of the RPG element complaints would have been quelled if you had gotten access to more Eikons earlier.

I've said previously in this thread that the RPG elements and build in this game most closely resemble FFV, but FFV gives you the vast majority of the jobs roughly a third (maybe half) of the way through the game.

You absolutely have choices you need to make with Clive's build in this game, even in terms of accessories and how they interact with your moveset, but those choices don't really come that much into play until you get at least four Eikons and that's, what, 50 percent of the way through the game?

I am glad that this game doesn't shy away from implying (and showing) same sex romantic interest

AND

I also appreciate stuff like Clive showing unalloyed and genuine gratitude to his male allies, like Gav. It is an extremely underrepresented dynamic between men in media, especially vidjagames.
Despite the pre-release complaints about edgelord dudebro Clive, the men in this game, Clive included, actually tend to be very emotionally open and vulnerable. Multiple times men have been shown weeping or being genuinely affectionate toward one another, and its never treated as impugning on their masculinity. I love it. It reminds of Tolkien's stuff in that way.

crimilde

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 26, 2017
The way Joshua goes on one knee to kiss Mid's hand upon their first meeting in Kanver and everyone being SHOOK was hilarious.

And Mid hugging Dion at the end while he fumbles and awkwardly pats her back sent me lol. She's so fun.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
This game reminds me a lot of RDR2. So much of its game design seems boring on paper, and a lot of the early hours especially can be kind of boring, but then the further you get in it, the more you see how those early hours set up really compelling story moments later on, and the better and better the experience gets. To the point where, like with RDR2, I can even see myself going back on a replay and really enjoying the opening hours of this game, knowing where things are going, and enjoying the state of the world and the characters at that time.

What does the "+" symbol mean on the result screen?
The game will explain it to you at one of the Hideaway vendors that opens up shortly after you start accruing it

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Despite the pre-release complaints about edgelord dudebro Clive, the men in this game, Clive included, actually tend to be very emotionally open and vulnerable. Multiple times men have been shown weeping or being genuinely affectionate toward one another, and its never treated as impugning on their masculinity. I love it. It reminds of Tolkien's stuff in that way.

The scene where he meets his uncle is like... man, anyone who calls Clive a generic edgelord early Berserk Guts-like figure is just fucking wrong

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Just as an aside, I appreciate how god damn fast this game loads.
Like PS5 menu to game menu to in-game in like under 10 seconds total.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Ngl, I wasn't really fussed about no elemental system in this game, but witnessing fire magic doing same damage to Bomb just felt wrong lol. Not a serious complaint or anything but I just found that moment funny and weird at the same time.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ngl, I wasn't really fussed about no elemental system in this game, but witnessing fire magic doing same damage to Bomb just felt wrong lol. Not a serious complaint or anything but I just found that moment funny and weird at the same time.

Yeah. Like I said in the other thread where you posted this, I think it would've been nice if using fire magic on Bombs had the same effect it had on them in Stranger of Paradise - making them swell up and then Self-Destruct early.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
The game starts with you fighting fire with fire!

ket

Jul 27, 2018

It's Arthur Morgan all over again

Mau

Oct 25, 2017
I'm halfway through this game but I'm already sad it's gonna end lol. I really will miss this world and characters…don't think I've felt this way about a game in a while…

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
The reason there's no elemental weaknesses is because you don't wanna restrict the player in an action heavy game like this. The last thing I wanna do is be forced to switch to other Eikons because some monster or boss is resistant to my preferred ones.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
The game starts with you fighting fire with fire!
yeah for some reason I wasn't really noticing it when fighting other fire monster or other stuff, but the bomb just stood out because I do have lots of trauma with bombs from previous games in the series I guess lol. Like fire doing damage to Ifrit didn't stick out compared to fire doing damage to bombs lmao.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the missions "Righting Wrongs" & "The Crystals' Curse"

And y'all saying it gets even crazier than this?!

bg,f8f8f8-flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

EDIT: words

Last edited:

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017

I wouldn't be surprised if they left this alone for the normal playthrough and added more elemental affinities and whatnot in a NG+ mode somewhere.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
God damn the tail end of this game drags on. How many hours have I got left? I'm at 75% and beat bahamut about an hour ago or so

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. Like I said in the other thread where you posted this, I think it would've been nice if using fire magic on Bombs had the same effect it had on them in Stranger of Paradise - making them swell up and then Self-Destruct early.
that's one nice way to do it. I only encountered bombs once so far, but do they have self-destruct in this game as well?