• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

XBlade

Oct 26, 2017
I want to play the ffxiv that some posters here seem to have access to. Cause the one i play looks nothing like ffxvi.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure about this world because IDK that they can make it compelling after their current gen output compared to, like, a Witcher 3. :/ I'm sure I'll still buy it day one and all though bc hey why not

Oct 31, 2017
Kind of reminded me of the opening to Kingsglaive and the art style looks like a Japanese dev trying to make Witcher 4. Was hoping for something brighter and more fantastic akin to a next-gen FF9.
That said, who knows how much will be revealed over the next...couple years? Seems that was just a tiny slice of the game.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing about the trailer hooked me, especially with the characters. I do think the medieval-like setting is promising, though.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Really love the logo. Amano is a legend.

FINAL%20FANTASY%20XVI_Logo_Black_EN-a13lnpmnp.png

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
We got 4 summons revealed already in this trailer. Looks good! And yes looks like the protagonist will get a timeskip look. Unless I'm mistaken and Sqaure's characters are copy and paste clones again.

Kitty Paws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 21, 2019
At first I thought the trailer looked bland and unimpressive. BUT! With Naoki Yoshida involved there is a good chance the story will be good, and I would take a new mainline FF that focuses on story over graphics any time. Love the return to a more traditional fantasy setting too, a shame they're not willing to bring back turn-based combat.

Rods

May 1, 2020
Misc thoughts...

- First time a FF game has looked a bit under par in a key area (faces) for me. But that is a major major nitpick from me and I actually don't care. I'm just so used to being so entranced by FF games, like they always push things to the limit (have blown me away since I can remember watching FFVII as a kid)...... But this could be cross-gen, so fair enough.

- I'm pretty sure Square Enix is done with the FF creatives screwing around after forcing Nomura off FFXV. They havent really delayed games all that much since. I mean this is a legacy games publisher in a media saturated age(they better get in on shit) and the lead-up to XV may have lost momentum for the franchise (even though it still sold very well, FF should be as big a seller as Witcher by now). So I actually really wasn't surprised they showed off gameplay already. If Ubi can release an Ass Creed game every 1.5 years, Final Fantasy can (and should) get a new major FF game at least every 2.5 to 3 years if they are a half decently run organization.

Well ... actually no, dunno about Ubisoft being decently run either :p
Didn't Witcher 3 sold like 30M copies? Not sure FF will ever get close to that, considering Japan moved away from Console/PC gaming.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
I don't really understand the Noctis comparisons. Noctis clearly had an East Asian look to him but the new guy looks European.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
BUT! With Naoki Yoshida involved there is a good chance the story will be good, and I would take a new mainline FF that focuses on story over graphics any time.
Exactly, this. Is this finally when SE drops the fidelity/graphic fetish and just bangs out an amazing FF game in a timely manner? I sure hope so

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that worries me is that Lightning still has no confirmed successor to pass her throne to.

For now all hope's riding on Ms. Shiva's Dominant to either be playable or at least a major antagonist.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
i was so disappointed at this trailer i got legit angry lol. looks completely uninspired to me, like they're just riding on nostalgia (look, Shiva!), and that damn main character, WHY? like a clone of the last one that was already horrid. they had so many years to come up with a memorable character... and is there even a party? looked like he was fighting alone in those combat clips. i need a decent sized party in my FF games, it's an absolute must!

also, how many gens do we still have to wait to get decent hair graphics? i thought this was finally gonna be the time... but no, apparently PS3 level blocky static hair is still good enough even to Squarenix's wizard coders. bleh.

i haven't played a FF i genuinely liked since FFXIII :( and i had to forgive a lot of faults in that game too but at least Lightning was a somewhat unique and memorable character.

they gotta do a lot to win me back after this trailer.. start by fixing the damn hair ffs. and please tell me you have a party.

Shadow_FFVI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
dUtZMJN.png

This is what ffxiv looks like at maximum settings. you have no idea what you're talking about
Not exactly like FF XIV... But I can see the type of faces you can create in FF XIV being like the ones in XVI. Obviously with the benefits of more powerful hardware.

Even someone on this very thread speculated about being able to create your character in this game. There's a level of detail you forgo when allowing for character creation. Again. I'm not saying that will be the case with XVI, just that that's the level of detail I'm missing.

Lucael

Oct 3, 2018
Well, graphics maybe is not that great but at last we can hope the game will be out in a reasonable time frame, without a team messing around with their own engine that will get the game delayed for years.

Finally we're getting a mature Final Fantasy: when did you see a series entry with a child covered in blood that transform in a vessel fo a Primal (a signature of FFXIV)? Everyone making a big case about the graphics, should think to the developing hell the last entries went because of unrealistic technical achievement SE wanted to pursue and which kind of butchered and terrible storytelling we got.

rucury

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
ShB came out 1 year ago. Stop harassing this person with your spoilerophobia.
tf outta here with that shit, if anything the FF16 reveal is gonna get people to jump into or get back into ff14. they should get to experience the story without having parts of it spoiled in a thread from a diferrent game. there's a reason we have spoiler tags in this forum

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly, this. Is this finally when SE drops the fidelity/graphic fetish and just bangs out an amazing FF game in a timely manner? I sure hope so
I do agree that SE dropping the fidelity/graphic fetish is good, but that should have no bearing on an actual interesting art style. So I hope we get more visually striking areas as that doesn't require pushing cutting edge graphics at all, just a talented art team with a great vision

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
"I will kill you... if it's the last thing I do".

Maybe he's talking about Ifrit-possessed Joshua 🤔. If he MC has to kill him or at least fight him, I guess you have your emotional impact there.

Joshua's actually the kid!

The timeskip design change makes me think we won't get any customization/creation. I guess they could have an algorithm that changes the character you create when they're young, but that's too much work and it wouldn't look as drastic of a change as the one we've already seen.

The name thing... I don't know. Like with the creation, I hope he's established and not customizable. But I could see some return to the I-X tradition of us naming characters and calling him by either the surname (à la Mass Effect) or by his title/occupation (he's introduced as Joshua's Shield).

I thought Joshua actually transformed into phoenix?

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Also - the fact that this trailer was pure gameplay leads me to believe they are pretty deep in development and not early on or anything. No Pre rendered first look trailer. They showed a whole lot of cutscenes, fully voiced in engine and all. I'm optimistic.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
This looked liked and felt like FFXIV story wise (and I'm interested in seeing if this game has any connection to FFXIV for example this game taking place in the 2nd or 3rd star of Hydaelyn) but combat wise it looks like FFXV.

Zeenbor

Developer at Run Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, this screams like it uses Crystal Tools. The lighting needs quite a bit of work IMO. I am a huge FF fan and I can't help but feel a bit disappointed with the fidelity.

Here's hoping the gameplay and story are great!

Soma

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
i dunno people that are saying this looks nothing like XIV are kinda being obtuse

the character models and environments feel VERY reminiscent of XIV's engine. I'd say it's more like XIV on steroids and honestly? I think that's completely fine.

The team involved in this game makes me very very excited.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Really not feeling this yet, unfortunately. This is the first (non-MMO) mainline FF reveal that hasn't sent my hype through the roof since... probably XII, I guess? But even XII's reveal got me a little more excited than this did.

Obviously it's way, way too early to make any informed judgments one way or the other, but so far this is coming off to me as what a modern Final Fantasy game might look like if a big Western dev made it. If an overt Western vibe is indeed what they're going for, yeah, I'm going to find that hugely disappointing. We'll see.

Still hyped as fuck for FFVII Remake Part 2, though!

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate, HATE, Final Fantasy's departure from party system.

This is probably just a first showcase of combat while MC is still alone, but that combat system screams FFXV to me. I'm not against action based combat, but I'm against the MC oriented combat system in FFXV. I hope this still have party members with menus and pauses like FFVIIR, at least.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
I gotta say, I'm hoping that this is rough footage, and that there's a lot of polishing left to do. FFXV so far looked more beautiful to me, and the characters looked better/more interesting. FF is one of my favorite series so I hope it'll be good. The only FFs I haven't played are 11 and 14, but this looks very 14ish - is it the same team?

I feel like the story in this one would be good - and I'm never like "zomg graphics" but maybe it's because the last few FF reveal trailers really blew me away - versus 13, and 13. This looks like it got a lower budget than I'd expect from FF but these are all hot takes and I hope to be proven wrong on all accounts.

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of reminded me of the opening to Kingsglaive and the art style looks like a Japanese dev trying to make Witcher 4. Was hoping for something brighter and more fantastic akin to a next-gen FF9.
That said, who knows how much will be revealed over the next...couple years? Seems that was just a tiny slice of the game.

You know what, this is pretty much what I've converged on as well. Aesthetically seems they might like to split the difference between XV and Witcher 3, maybe hoping to bring in J and Wrpg fans?

Actually the buzzy sort of anxious string undertone to the crystal theme during the characters-talking-in-the-Witcher-looking village portion had a real Witcher 3 OST vibe as well (like if you mixed crystal theme w/ crookback bog chrone tracks).

None of this necessarily turns me off though -- W3 is right there w/ Nier:A as my rpg of the generation. If they can provide a darker story driven experience w/ exciting FF beats (and those summon fights did look sweet) I could dig it.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I do agree that SE dropping the fidelity/graphic fetish is good, but that should have no bearing on an actual interesting art style. So I hope we get more visually striking areas as that doesn't require pushing cutting edge graphics at all, just a talented art team with a great vision
I have full faith that they will be able to deliver that. Especially when Yoshi P saying that what we saw was just a super tiny part of what the team has accomplished so far.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Looks promising. Hoping there is a proper party of visually distinct characters this time around. It kind of looks like more of a character action game, though. Interested to see some uninterrupted gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.