• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saito Hikari

Jul 3, 2021
I'll eat my dirt infested shoes if we get new information before Endwalker
I don't see why Endwalker really has anything to do with this. It's not like they're competing for attention. If it was made by any other FF team, maybe. But let's face it, the target audience for XIV and XVI is damn near a perfect circle. Pretty much everyone playing FFXIV is going to buy XVI no matter what, purely because it's from the same division.

Not to mention that Yoshi-P straight up said that the original plan was to get things ready to show for TGS, which he quickly backtracked on when the Nier people tried to force him to say something to commit to it over the Summer. That quite frankly means they don't give a shit about any possible mindshare concerns.

Last edited:

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I don't see why Endwalker really has anything to do with this. It's not like they're competing for attention. If it was made by any other FF team, maybe. But let's face it, a huge chunk of people playing FFXIV are going to buy XVI no matter what, purely because it's from the same division.

Not to mention that Yoshi-P straight up said that the original plan was to get things ready for TGS, which he quickly backtracked on when the Nier people tried to force him to say something to commit to it over the Summer.

We are nearly at the last stretch of coverage before Endwalker comes out so giving it the fullest attention in terms of press coverage seems reasonable. I know there are XIV players including myself who will buy this game no matter what but why kill the Endwalker mindshare with another game if you can prevent it?

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
BTW, unless I'm being stupid, Forspoken doesn't have a webpage there (no results when searched either, unlike FF XVI), and that has a release date and material shown during a PS event no long ago. Stuff like God of War Ragnarok does have one, whereas Spider-Man 2 or Wolverine don't.

I guess it's weird that they do this out of nowhere for FF XVI. I still don't believe anything is coming out of this, though. I'd be somewhat surprised if Sony did a State of Play just a bit over a month after their big showcase.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Saw a comment saying the Italian webpage for the game had been up on PSN for months. Does someone know if it's true?
pou_7153.png

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Saw a comment saying the Italian webpage for the game had been up on PSN for months. Does someone know if it's true?
pou_7153.png
Its possible that all of these pages were up before, but the publish time for all including the italian one is listed as 16 hours ago, so regardless it means that this has been touched upon in some form.

EDIT: ah i didnt realize you mentioned PSN, yea its been available on the PS5 in the coming soon section since PS5 came out really, but this site on playstation domain is new as far as I can tell.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Sadly I don't know anything regarding the marketing (only the game itself) so I can't hype/deflate you guys :(
I am the first one hoping for some news soon.

let's not get ahead of ourselves.

what the hell I have I gotten myself into

Grabbing popcorns just in case.

pou_7153.png

Where does one check?

High quality copium and clown make-up ready in any case.

My copium is ready to be inhaled.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Its possible that all of these pages were up before, but the publish time for all including the italian one is listed as 16 hours ago, so regardless it means that this has been touched upon in some form.
Where does one check?
It was a comment on the FF XVI reddit saying as much, don't know if it's true sadly. But yeah, the Italian was also updated seems like! Still not betting on this meaning anything, but hey.
I think the PS5 did allow you to view a page on XVI in a coming soon section but outside of the actual PS5 console this is the first time its been available to see.
I seem to recall nothing coming up for FF XVI on PSN (at least for the Spain region), but I do remember that "coming soon" section along with the other PS5 announcements. The only info it really had was it being described as a "single-player action RPG", really.
Sadly I don't know anything regarding the marketing (only the game itself) so I can't hype/deflate you guys :(
You know about seemingly thirst-inducing characters though, which is better 💅

Emerald

Oct 25, 2017
I seem to recall nothing coming up for FF XVI on PSN (at least for the Spain region), but I do remember that "coming soon" section along with the other PS5 announcements. The only info it really had was it being described as a "single-player action RPG", really.
Yeah there wasn't much on it.
image-from-ios.jpeg

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
👀

Sony is working on the game page for FF16
unknown-2.jpg

unknown-3.jpg

www.playstation.com

Final Fantasy XVI - PS5 Games | PlayStation

Buy Final Fantasy XVI on PlayStation Store. Enter the dark fantasy world of Valisthea in this highly anticipated single-player action RPG.

Screenshot_1.png

It's broken right now, but it's interesting that just now they working on updating the page

Can't say I know anything about a PS4 version, sorry.

Anyway, don't read into that link preview text. It's just from "The best JRPGs on PS4 and PS5" section at the bottom of every JRPG game page:

BqdzIj1.png

ZsSZaTh.png

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Ah. Do we know for sure that the game page hasn't actually been live this whole time or anything?
I cant say for sure if it has or hasnt, what I can say for certain is that it has been at the very least updated in the last day because all the FFXVI pages html code have the same publishing timestamp pointing at around 20 hours ago for publishing time, and that publishing timestamp isnt identical for the whole site or other game pages or anything like that.

For comparison, Sony have made franchise pages for God of War, Horizon and Uncharted a few days prior to the showcase announcement and Horizon pre order opening, and the timestamps were proof of that.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I wonder what Gotham Knights showing the same kind of page means ("release date: to be confirmed" and "this game has just been announced. Check back soon to get the latest news, screenshots and trailers").

It just got a trailer, so I guess they might be adding the new one as well? It'd be weird to have preorders and the like after not announcing a date at Fandome, and I'd be shocked if it showed up at a near future State of Play for the same reasons.

Wolverine and Spider-Man 2 not being there I guess is because of how far off they are, but they definitely have material they could upload.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I wonder what Gotham Knights showing the same kind of page means ("release date: to be confirmed" and "this game has just been announced. Check back soon to get the latest news, screenshots and trailers").

It just got a trailer, so I guess they might be adding the new one as well? It'd be weird to have preorders and the like after not announcing a date at Fandome, and I'd be shocked if it showed up at a near future State of Play for the same reasons.

Wolverine and Spider-Man 2 not being there I guess is because of how far off they are, but they definitely have material they could upload.
All 4 games that got this kind of a placeholder page (XVI, Gotham Knights, Tchia and Gollum) must have been planned to have a game page soon for one reason or another even if those reasons are unrelated to each other. We know Gotham Knights has because it was shown in the DC Fandome, and for the others we dont yet know. But Gotham Knights is the exception that potentially proves the rule here as the page went up shortly after the new trailer.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I wouldn't get my hopes up. I'm thinking possibly the Game Awards is where we will see it next. Fits with "info in 2021", imo the game will be out possibly by next summer.

With Endwalker releasing midway through November, a good half month or more should be enough to get it out of the way, and have a new info dump.

Of course, I'd love to see it before December.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't get my hopes up. I'm thinking possibly the Game Awards is where we will see it next. Fits with "info in 2021", imo the game will be out possibly by next summer.

With Endwalker releasing midway through November, a good half month or more should be enough to get it out of the way, and have a new info dump.

Of course, I'd love to see it before December.

I think the next time we see it could be in a State of Play for it. The way Yoshi-P talks about it makes it seem like he wants to do an info blowout on it the next they show it off since he said that when we see it again he wants people to have the feeling of wanting the game immediately.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
In case you were expecting an imminent SoP announcement, I'd say that's likely out of the window, as they tend to announce them a couple of days before (versus the week of wait before a big boy event).

Ngl, this plus the website blackout thing (which usually means nothing) kinda made me hopeful for some news sooner than later. But I still feel it's way too soon for a Sony event and for FF XVI to show up when they couldn't even meet the TGS deadline.

December it is.
All 4 games that got this kind of a placeholder page (XVI, Gotham Knights, Tchia and Gollum) must have been planned to have a game page soon for one reason or another even if those reasons are unrelated to each other. We know Gotham Knights has because it was shown in the DC Fandome, and for the others we dont yet know. But Gotham Knights is the exception that potentially proves the rule here as the page went up shortly after the new trailer.
Makes sense, yeah. This indeed seems to be a deliberate update, so they might be preparing some things in advance. After all, marketing material is prepped way before it's shown (at least if the showing is hefty as should be the case here).

I just wish we had some clearer info on when to expect things, but 1) things might still be very fluid/uncertain and 2) they might depend on others (Sony, TGA) who'd like to keep the game a surprise.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
In case you were expecting an imminent SoP announcement, I'd say that's likely out of the window, as they tend to announce them a couple of days before (versus the week of wait before a big boy event).

Ngl, this plus the website blackout thing (which usually means nothing) kinda made me hopeful for some news sooner than later. But I still feel it's way too soon for a Sony event and for FF XVI to show up when they couldn't even meet the TGS deadline.

December it is.

SE could drop a SE presents for next week dedicated to FF XVI

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Calm down with the cope and accept you'll get it when you get it. Unless you get an insider coming in and saying it's coming X week. Internet sleuthing is just gonna lead to disappointment .

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Well after insiders got burned 3 times this summer even that wouldn't mean much right now.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
SE could drop a SE presents for next week dedicated to FF XVI
I've kinda been betting on a S-E Presents for this. They could go all in with FF XVI info, whereas The Game Awards or a Sony event (unless it's a FF XVI-focused SoP) would give them a more limited slot plus a shared spotlight.

We got streams for spring, summer and autumn, so a winter S-E Presents is likely. Probably, once more, on December 😅
We must summon Navtra.

She is the only one that would know for sure.
Sadly, iirc, she was wrong about FF XVI being shown during E3/summer. Not only her, though, a shitton of people with mostly reliable backgrounds, actually.

Then again, this is the thing with insiders even when they're legit: they might get outdated/straight-up wrong information despite having the position to get accurate stuff. So yeah, always a fuckload of salt.

Last edited:

ket

Jul 27, 2018
new ff16 info will get revealed on dec 31st at 11:59 PM so that yoshi will still be keeping his promise

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I've kinda been betting on a S-E Presents for this. They could go all in with FF XVI info, whereas The Game Awards or a Sony event (unless it's a FF XVI-focused SoP) would give them a more limited slot plus a shared spotlight.

We got streams for spring, summer and autumn, so a winter S-E Presents is likely. Probably, once more, on December 😅

Sadly, iirc, she was wrong about FF XVI being shown during E3/summer. Not only her, though, a shitton of people with mostly reliable backgrounds, actually.

Then again, this is the thing with insiders even when they're legit: they might get outdated/straight-up wrong information despite having the position to get accurate stuff. So yeah, always a fuckload of salt.
She still has the best track record when it comes to Square.
She leaked FF Origins and LiS True Colors.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really understand why people are surprised they hadn't shown anything in so long.

The general consensus online was that the game's graphics looked bad. People were saying it looked like a PS3 game.

They've got to wow people with their next trailer.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Also, the hype is clearly being poured (rightfully) into Endwalker, and has been for the past few months. FFXVI would actually be a distraction. That being said, after EW is out, they should go nuts.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I'm fairly convinced that when people decry games as looking like older-gen quality, it's typically because they're watching it on a livestream and don't have the quality turned up.
That and being so detached from reality that they can't remember how games actually looked two or three gens ago.

FF XVI's trailer in particular looks on par with FF VII Remake/Intergrade. That that is dissapointing to many is very fair, but that's a whole different thing. I'm more than fine with the game looking how it did last year, even if it didn't at all wow me beyond a few things (like Clive's model, which, much like FF VII Remake's, looked amazing at times).
She still has the best track record when it comes to Square.
She leaked FF Origins and LiS True Colors.
That's true, yeah. Bummer she left, hope she's alright.

In any case, I wonder what happened this summer. So many people that, again, have very respectable track records and were verified (which doesn't mean you have to 100% believe, sure) were sure of FF XVI showing up, down to scoffing at a user's fear of the game not showing up for a year since its announcement (which is where we are now!).

Yoshida seemed to imply FF XVI was never in the cards for E3, so either they thought it'd make sense the game would be there without info backing that up or they got wrong info.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA

Wish more people understood the bolded. Just because someone has access to inside information doesn't mean they're getting the most up-to-date or highest level info.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, people on the internet (especially the gaming community) can be dumb as fuck.
Yeah, I've always been on the boat that I couldn't give a shit how it looks as long as you give me an epic, satisfying adventure. Sure, nice graphics are great, but I would NEVER put them a top priority as far as my taste is concerned. If your gameplay, story, and world are hindered by your graphics (as in graphics are SOOO detailed that all space in development is focused on that rather than fleshing out quests, the world/locations, important cutscenes, and gameplay), that's a problem. I would sacrifice the most cutting edge of graphics (I tend to joke that we don't NEED the most realistically rendered sand particles, or single blades of grass) for a gaming experience that is a worthwhile, grand, memorable adventure. And I'm not speaking for everybody (I know there are gamers that value eyecandy above all else), but for me, at least, this is how I feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.