Status
Not open for further replies.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Blowing through ARR only doing mainline and job quests c as recommended. Once I get to heavensward, are side quests worth doing again?
Sidequests are rarely worth doing for anything other than their own narrative and for clearing the icons off your map. The amount of XP and Gil received is practically inconsequential and not in any way time-efficient.

ShB changed it up a little bit by scaling the sidequests to your level, but they still give very weak XP compared to basically any other leveling task.

Piecake

Oct 27, 2017
Blowing through ARR only doing mainline and job quests c as recommended. Once I get to heavensward, are side quests worth doing again?

I thought some of the sidequests in HW with pictures in the quest UI were good and added to the lore and history of zone/HW, but sidequests aren't worth it from a practical exp PoV

There is plenty of content worth doing beyond the MSQ, its just not really in the sidequests barring those picture ones.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Just the old characters.

It'll say next to "Account Type", it should say either Standard or Legacy

YQHRfaf.jpeg

If you didn't play that much, then you probably didn't get either mount. One was from the Legacy program, the other required you to get level 30

There's a free log in campaign going on right now, you can download the game and log in to check what you have

Looks like I have two mounts (had to go to the mailbox to get one). I have a Fat Chocobo, and a Coeurl. And I have 3 minion things. A Moogle, a baby Behemoth, and an Airship. haha

I do have the Tattoo too.

edit: I looked it up, looks like those mounts and pets are really common. So just the Tattoo is cool I guess.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
How long does it usually take for them to streamline the tomestone system for the previous expansion after new ones drop? I'm probably going to get Endwalker when the 5.X gear tomestones become streamlined but I'm not sure how long that usually takes.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Looks like I have two mounts (had to go to the mailbox to get one). I have a Fat Chocobo, and a Coeurl. And I have 3 minion things. A Moogle, a baby Behemoth, and an Airship. haha

I do have the Tattoo too.

edit: I looked it up, looks like those mounts and pets are really common. So just the Tattoo is cool I guess.
Yeah, those things (besides the airship minion, that's from the story) are all from the ARR Collector's Edition (probably given to you because you had the 1.0 CE?). You can upgrade to the CE for $20, if that at all effects your "play on this account vs. start a new free trial account" decision.

Personally, I'd stick with this account, the tattoo is very cool and I'm always jealous of 1.0 players when I see it
How long does it usually take for them to streamline the tomestone system for the previous expansion after new ones drop? I'm probably going to get Endwalker when the 5.X gear tomestones become streamlined but I'm not sure how long that usually takes.
On day 1 of Endwalker, both current endgame tomestones will be discontinued (and tradable for poetics), all the Shadowbringers tomestone gear will be buyable with poetics, and a new uncapped tomestone will be introduced.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
So, for anyone who wants the Bozjan relic weapons, i found this excellent guide:

docs.google.com

FFXIV Bozjan Relic Grind Guide

So you want a relic weapon huh Akh Morning Guide Version: Fortunately Nemekh reached out and has kindly asked me to help put this guide on Akh Morning! There you will find a much cleaner version of this guide, this document will remain up forever for anyone who prefers to still use this version. ...

Hope it helps.

I wasn't planning on diving into relic weapons much, but honestly, the 2nd stage for the lance looks so cool as it is, that maybe I will at least work towards that. Shouldn't take too much grinding that early on right?

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019

I would main the MSQ and Job Quests untill ShB, it keeps that narrative flow going IMO. That's what I did and tbh getting to the end made me more interested in the side content. it's up to you ofc!

Additionally, the story dungeons and content helps understand most of the major mechanics in the dungeons which can also prove beneficial when going to later endgame content.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

Not entirely but I personally picked up a few when in the area as I was doing the MSQ. Just don't burn yourself out thinking you have to do everything cause the wall of side quests that can appear after a MSQ quest can be daunting.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
On day 1 of Endwalker, both current endgame tomestones will be discontinued (and tradable for poetics), all the Shadowbringers tomestone gear will be buyable with poetics, and a new uncapped tomestone will be introduced.
Oh wow that's a lot better than I was expecting. For some reason I thought the others tended to get streamlined a few patches in. I wasn't expecting to jump in so soon lol

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, those things (besides the airship minion, that's from the story) are all from the ARR Collector's Edition (probably given to you because you had the 1.0 CE?). You can upgrade to the CE for $20, if that at all effects your "play on this account vs. start a new free trial account" decision.

Personally, I'd stick with this account, the tattoo is very cool and I'm always jealous of 1.0 players when I see it

If it was for all characters I made on the account, then maybe? But I'm not sure I wanna use the same character and name from a dude I made 8+ years ago. Haha.

I'm kinda thinking it would be nice to have the a free account on PS5 for a while, and see if I would actually play a lot, before spending lots. But I was figuring that would be a waste of time if I had cool things on this old account. But it seems like it's maybe just the tattoo? Which is cool, but maybe not enough to justify sticking with this account. ☹️ Hard to decide!

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
If it was for all characters I made on the account, then maybe? But I'm not sure I wanna use the same character and name from a dude I made 8+ years ago. Haha.

I'm kinda thinking it would be nice to have the a free account on PS5 for a while, and see if I would actually play a lot, before spending lots. But I was figuring that would be a waste of time if I had cool things on this old account. But it seems like it's maybe just the tattoo? Which is cool, but maybe not enough to justify sticking with this account. ☹️ Hard to decide!
I'd personally play on this account and just use the free fantasia (given to you at the end of 2.0) and buy a name change ($10) to make the character into what I want, but that's just me, it's up to you

Javier

Oct 27, 2017
Chile

I'd say to you to play The Coils of Bahamut and The Crystal Tower, please do yourself a favor and enjoy the game in the best way possible by playing those.The first adds so much to the story, it makes the background of certain characters, and their actions, who appear later so much meaningful (specially in Heavensward) and the second, even if it's mandatory, you can play it during shadowlands, but once again, its story makes much sense if you play it during arr.

I wasn't planning on diving into relic weapons much, but honestly, the 2nd stage for the lance looks so cool as it is, that maybe I will at least work towards that. Shouldn't take too much grinding that early on right?

That's right, if you just want that, go for it!

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
That's right, if you just want that, go for it!

Looks like I would need to do some lv 60 dungeons as part of it (or just do level roulette as the guide says?), but hey, excuse to level up another job.

The 2nd stage for these weapons actually look pretty nice overall. Might do GNB and DNC weapons too eventually.

neatsaux

Nov 11, 2018
red room
should i only be focusing on MSQs? I'm near level 20, did the gladiators guild stuff so i wouldn't be blocked out of the new adventurer's guild training (just completed) but otherwise have only been doing the MSQ stuff

Master_Funk

Oct 25, 2017
should i only be focusing on MSQs? I'm near level 20, did the gladiators guild stuff so i wouldn't be blocked out of the new adventurer's guild training (just completed) but otherwise have only been doing the MSQ stuff

Yeah you are fine to continue MSQ until finishing base ARR if you want. After that, the good side content starts, and it will be worth investigating that .

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
You should be focusing on MSQ and your class/job quests, yeah.

Quest markers with a plus icon unlock new systems or content (ex: the Gold Saucer, which unlocks at level 15 and has an event going on right now), so keep a look out for those

Otherwise, do what you want

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Probably nothing special to some veterans here, but I just witnessed a little concert by 6 bards in gridania, playing songs from a bunch of ff games and I feel this was one of the greatest moments in gaming I have ever had.
People were chatting about the songs, dancing and emoting together, shushing the asshole that tried to interject with his own playing, just magical all around.
This is the first time I reaaally like an mmo. I'm really digging it.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Got my BLM to 70, and I have to say the 60 - 70 job quests were really enjoyable. They added a lot more personality and character over the previous BLM quests.

BLM is fun but I feel like such an amateur when I play it. When I'm on a roll, it feels great, but mostly I'm struggling. AOE especially is pretty hard for me, with things often dying before I can get my casts off, making me feel pretty useless.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'm really enjoying white mage, hit level 33 in a day 👏

it's a really fun healing class, really strong healing output so you get to watch the numbers go up but also nice dps

Seri

Oct 30, 2017
After putting it off for literal YEARS i just completed Eureka's Story. Now to finish up my relic to get it all shiney so i can say i've got all the relics for WHM, and i'll be done (I've got no real interest in BA)

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
Okay so I'm maybe like 30%ish through SB, but I just stumbled upon and have unlocked the Ishgard Restoration stuff.

I'm mostly focusing on MSQ to get caught up, but I have a 52 Carpenter and a 57 Botanist. Is there still worthwhile daily stuff to do here that is worth a small daily investment on to level DoH/DoL to avoid regretting not doing it later? Even before I played the game I was always hearing stuff about Ishgard Restoration and then later moogle stuff (ShB I think?), most of what I'm finding on Google seems out of date and prior to the restoration being completed so I'm a bit lost. Unless I'm missing another aspect it seems like I would just go do Diadem stuff, but is that even still worth it at this point? Or if anyone can direct me to a crafter/gatherer guide that's relatively up to date I'd appreciate it. I wasn't terribly into Carpenter but I did really enjoy the Botanist stuff as mindless podcasting gathering, but if IR isn't particularly lucrative on a daily bonus level for me or whatever I'll just continue on plugging away at the MSQ.

navi-usagi

Dec 17, 2017
Okay so I'm maybe like 30%ish through SB, but I just stumbled upon and have unlocked the Ishgard Restoration stuff.

I'm mostly focusing on MSQ to get caught up, but I have a 52 Carpenter and a 57 Botanist. Is there still worthwhile daily stuff to do here that is worth a small daily investment on to level DoH/DoL to avoid regretting not doing it later? Even before I played the game I was always hearing stuff about Ishgard Restoration and then later moogle stuff (ShB I think?), most of what I'm finding on Google seems out of date and prior to the restoration being completed so I'm a bit lost. Unless I'm missing another aspect it seems like I would just go do Diadem stuff, but is that even still worth it at this point? Or if anyone can direct me to a crafter/gatherer guide that's relatively up to date I'd appreciate it. I wasn't terribly into Carpenter but I did really enjoy the Botanist stuff as mindless podcasting gathering, but if IR isn't particularly lucrative on a daily bonus level for me or whatever I'll just continue on plugging away at the MSQ.

You can still level and get rewards from Ishgard restoration; the story is complete, but everything else can be done. This video is what I used to figure out what to do, and this document has the macros that you can use to make the process pretty painless.

Kastenessen

Nov 2, 2017

I've been using this guide for the Restoration; currently going from level 40 to 54 takes about 15 minutes of macro crafting for each job. The reward stamps give items that go for a lot on the marketboard too. For gatherers the daily grand company turn ins give out a pretty good chunk of experience (double for high quality items).
I've only just unlocked the Moogle tribe too; they're from HW so good EXP for crafting classes 50-60.

Draconis

Oct 28, 2017
Built an entirely new rig from scratch that I have been working on collecting parts for, for roughly 2 years now.

All of the hard work was worth it. Two of my FC mates have their Fae Gwibers, helped them get theirs two weeks ago. Hoping this new system will help me aid them even further.

Still grinding away at my relic, bit by bit, work hours keep me insanely busy, so a bit frustrated by that. But, in time, I should have it.

Hope everyone else's journey is going well.

ddr86gr.jpg

Javier

Oct 27, 2017
Chile
Hey Era, i'm thinking of playing tank, it would be my first time ever playing tank on a mmorpg, do you have any recommendation?, usually i play solo and i want the tank to help me unlock different things throught the game, relic weapons, gear, mounts, etc...

Btw, this are my most played jobs:
Samurai
Red Mage
Scholar

Eventually i'll unlock dragoon because i read that their quest are really good.

Thx!

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Hey Era, i'm thinking of playing tank, it would be my first time ever playing tank on a mmorpg, do you have any recommendation?, usually i play solo and i want the tank to help me unlock different things throught the game, relic weapons, gear, mounts, etc...

Samurai
Red Mage
Scholar

Thx!

Dark Knight has the best questline for tanks from what I've heard, so maybe that if you're into the job quest stories

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017

Samurai
Red Mage
Scholar

Thx!

It depends on what kind of tank you want to play. Warrior let you DPS while Paladin is probably the easiest panic mode tank as you have the best invulnerability, lots of mitigation and even healing. Dark Knight is a mix of Paladin and Warrior and the lvl 50 story quest is really good but it's tricky to use in sub level 70 content as you get your best mitigation at 70. If you like pressing lot of buttons and keys then Gunbreaker is the solution. You have a bit of everything and you constantly check your dot, regen and ammo and so on. It's a bit tricky to use as it's best mitigation bring your HP to 1 (other tanks have similar 1 HP invuln but either have better solution or a mean to self heal after using it).

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Samurai
Red Mage
Scholar

Thx!
As someone playing paladin who hasn't really tried out the other tanks much, the impression that I've gotten is that all of them are good and you can't go wrong with any of them. I suppose one advantage of Dark Knight and especially Gunbreaker is that since they're expansion classes they start at higher levels and thus are easier to get to max level.

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
Playing on the free login campaign and I still have a week or so to go. Having lots of fun getting caught up on the stories connected to the jobs that I've become overleveled for (thanks, Grand Company) and I like the continuity of doing them in rapid succession rather than forgetting them as you might if you go a month without making progress. The Botanist Lv. 55-60 job quests at Cloudtop were pretty satisfying, and I also got Leatherworker past 50.

The tank classes have changed tremendously since I last tried them before ShB (what happened to Flash!?) and reached level 50-ish so I'm thinking of starting anew with Gunbreaker. As someone who has never done any post-50 tank content, am I going to let my party down in a big way the first time I queue for something as a GNB?

As someone playing paladin who hasn't really tried out the other tanks much, the impression that I've gotten is that all of them are good and you can't go wrong with any of them. I suppose one advantage of Dark Knight and especially Gunbreaker is that since they're expansion classes they start at higher levels and thus are easier to get to max level.

I'm actually thinking the opposite here; I want to start from level 1 so that I can learn the class!

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Playing on the free login campaign and I still have a week or so to go. Having lots of fun getting caught up on the stories connected to the jobs that I've become overleveled for (thanks, Grand Company) and I like the continuity of doing them in rapid succession rather than forgetting them as you might if you go a month without making progress. The Botanist Lv. 55-60 job quests at Cloudtop were pretty satisfying, and I also got Leatherworker past 50.

The tank classes have changed tremendously since I last tried them before ShB (what happened to Flash!?) and reached level 50-ish so I'm thinking of starting anew with Gunbreaker. As someone who has never done any post-50 tank content, am I going to let my party down in a big way the first time I queue for something as a GNB?

I'm actually thinking the opposite here; I want to start from level 1 so that I can learn the class!
Unlock palace of the dead if you haven't done so. It has its own independent squished leveling system that lets you go from 1 - 60 while inside the instance. Let's you grasp the expansion jobs 1 action at a time instead of starting with 20+ actions.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017

You can beat 100% of the content in the game with any jobs. It's just that some are trickier to use than others (just like scholar is trickier to use than white mage). Gunbreaker is a bit trickier than the others and you need (and your team)to adjust to it. I personally feel it doesn't have a very good panic mode button compared to the other 3. With warrior you can increase your max HP by 20% and put a barrier, paladin you can get invincible for 10 sec or get 100% block rate, Dark night can constantly use a 25% max hp barrier if they manage their MP well. Gunbreaker has the 1hp invuln the others have and similar damage reduction /block cooldowns.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017

Queuing a higher level dungeon as someone new in tanking is pretty normal as long as you're reasonable about it (i.e. telling the party "Hi I never played Tank before", or "Hi I'm returning so I might forgot some things", I see people like that from time to time).

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
Unlock palace of the dead if you haven't done so. It has its own independent squished leveling system that lets you go from 1 - 60 while inside the instance. Let's you grasp the expansion jobs 1 action at a time instead of starting with 20+ actions.

This is my plan; I was overwhelmed with Machinist starting at 30 and played PotD to learn the class.

You can beat 100% of the content in the game with any jobs. It's just that some are trickier to use than others (just like scholar is trickier to use than white mage). Gunbreaker is a bit trickier than the others and you need (and your team)to adjust to it. I personally feel it doesn't have a very good panic mode button compared to the other 3. With warrior you can increase your max HP by 20% and put a barrier, paladin you can get invincible for 10 sec or get 100% block rate, Dark night can constantly use a 25% max hp barrier if they manage their MP well. Gunbreaker has the 1hp invuln the others have and similar damage reduction /block cooldowns.

Good to know. I'm going to do some Guildhests (I miss these!), then visit PotD and then maybe queue for the level ~20 dungeons just to get a feel for things. I took Paladin to level 52 and Marauder to 30 and pretty much learned how to play those, but the recent (5.0?) rework of their abilities made them unplayable for me now.

I also have a level 61 aetheric GNB weapon I've been hanging on to so that should help as soon as I gain my first level.

This game is amazing; there's just so much stuff to do and stories to experience!

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Enjoyed the story for the AST 30-60 quests. Wasn't sure what to expect going into it, but the main cast of characters were pretty fun to get to know (including Jannequinard, who I initially thought would get annoying lol). Hoping the Stormblood quests are enjoyable too, but I still have to level AST from 60 to 70 first.

Also liking these fancy Astrologian hats for glamour purposes lol.

trajon

Dec 5, 2017
Messed around with my first Disciple of Hand class for a couple hours today (Carpenter) and got it to 15. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the change of pace. The gameplay isn't anything to write home about obviously, but I was surprised by the strategy needed to achieve high quality items + the QoL options they give for bulk crafting.

With that said, what are considered the most "useful" DoH/DoL classes? Not sure if it matters, but my primary DoW classes are Dragoon (63) and Dark Knight (39) right now.

Javier

Oct 27, 2017
Chile
Dark Knight has the best questline for tanks from what I've heard, so maybe that if you're into the job quest stories

It depends on what kind of tank you want to play. Warrior let you DPS while Paladin is probably the easiest panic mode tank as you have the best invulnerability, lots of mitigation and even healing. Dark Knight is a mix of Paladin and Warrior and the lvl 50 story quest is really good but it's tricky to use in sub level 70 content as you get your best mitigation at 70. If you like pressing lot of buttons and keys then Gunbreaker is the solution. You have a bit of everything and you constantly check your dot, regen and ammo and so on. It's a bit tricky to use as it's best mitigation bring your HP to 1 (other tanks have similar 1 HP invuln but either have better solution or a mean to self heal after using it).

I gotta be honest, i like the DCCU so choosing the Dark Knight seems appropriate with all of their darkness.

Thank you!!!

Atlantis

Oct 25, 2017
Messed around with my first Disciple of Hand class for a couple hours today (Carpenter) and got it to 15. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the change of pace. The gameplay isn't anything to write home about obviously, but I was surprised by the strategy needed to achieve high quality items + the QoL options they give for bulk crafting.

With that said, what are considered the most "useful" DoH/DoL classes? Not sure if it matters, but my primary DoW classes are Dragoon (63) and Dark Knight (39) right now.

As you level, you'll quickly find that you need items crafted from other DoH jobs (and both BTN and MIN materials) to level each specific one. I tried focusing on just a few at first as well, but you really are going to end up wanting them all.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017

Post starter crafting is pretty much reliant on you having everything leveled evenly or swimming in gil fwiw. Some classes are less reliant on others though, CUL and ALC for example are great for cooking food and raid potions and mostly just rely on Botanist and Fisher instead of other crafting classes. LTW, ARM, and BSM tend to make the heavier DoW armor sets and also give you the option of repairing that type of gear while inside instances. CRP and GSM usually get recipes/repairs for accessories while WVR usually has "light" DoM and some Aiming armor.

So in usefulness for someone focusing mainly on the battle side of the game I'd class them as the repair classes (should be ARM, LTW, BSM for 70% of DoW gear) > buff classes (CUL, ALC, BTN, FSH, MNR) > omnicrafter (the rest of the classes).

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
Only have the dungeon left to do in Heavensward, but it isn't easy to find a tank and healer at 8am.. :P
Searched for 45 minutes before giving up now, just have to do it later.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wow I was not expecting I'd fall so deeply down the Blue Mage rabbit hole. So far I just need Titan and Leviathan from ARR.

Also that level 80 boss was really cool. I had to go learn aetherial manipulation and pom cure cause the last act was just too stressful with constantly checking mp usage.

Now I have all classes at max level across the board my next goal is to finish my new game + list which is just a few raid sets.

Really having fun during a content drought.

Also I'm not sure if I'm reading the stats correctly but are the end walker earrings BIS for level 70 blue mages since it seems to be ilvl 430?

Status
Not open for further replies.