• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I know there were threads about crossplay but I'm pretty sure Naoki Yoshida never gave details about it and it frustrated people. Today he gave details that I thought were interesting laid out in this wffctech interview

Two months ago, I discussed with Phil Spencer. I have explained this before but we are prepared to do crossplay at any time. To play an MMORPG, there are 2 regulations for Microsoft which stand in the way of making crossplay feasible. Unless these regulations are rejected, there is no meaning. Simply speaking, the matching base FPS style game has no issues with those 2 regulations. If we had made an FPS game [had FF14 been one of those games], then we would already have crossplay. One of the regulations is that players with different platforms cannot chat with each other in-game. Then how do you play an MMO? The other regulation is you cannot make a community with plays on a different platform. You can't form a guild, you can't enter into a link shell, [and] no free company. So I would like to have Microsoft change their regulations. And this is not limited to Microsoft but there are many players who only have crossplay experience with FPS games, especially with the business scene. For an MMORPG, a game which full communication is possible, regulations need to be created considering how massive an MMORPG is to have true crossplay. Final Fantasy XIV will not release crossplay without making this clear because that would only hurt the players. I think we can only try to continue having our discussions with those parties [to communicate and relay what is needed].

Wccftech: As a comment, there is precedence to this in Final Fantasy XI. We did see PS2, Xbox 360, and PC cooperate. Hopefully in the future, Microsoft, Sony, Google, and whichever other platforms come together for Final Fantasy XIV.
I hope the same thing. I have been having that same discussion with all of the other platforms. I have been discussing how true crossplay is not understood [and try to convince them].

SOURCE: https://wccftech.com/final-fantasy-...ssplay/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

fill me with darkness if old

bal

Dec 22, 2018
Barcelona
I like Xbox one consoles but in the other hand I'm always playing FFXIV (since 1.0) as my main game. I'm years waiting for FFXIV into Xbox one, or X, or Scarlet! I'd like to play all my games in one single platform. And, well, One X is better than my PC. I wish Microsoft erase those limitations soon!

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Gotta say this doesn't exactly fit the existing narrative. Would be nice to see it happen but doesn't seem like it will

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Those are some arbitrary restrictions. At least we finally have some clarity

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Did someone at Microsoft forget about this "MMO" policy or something? Those sound absolutely stupid and arbitrary.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Well, this goes against the narrative that Sony is preventing the game from launching on other consoles, seems like it's everyone.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Something had to have gotten lost in translation in their negotiations then. Every crossplay game that can crossplay between PS4 and XB1 (Fortnite and Dauntless) have cross-communication - And Microsoft is literally funding the localization of an MMO with crossplay.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Something had to have gotten lost in translation in their negotiations then. Every crossplay game that can crossplay between PS4 and XB1 (Fortnite and Dauntless) have cross-communication - And Microsoft is literally funding the localization of an MMO with crossplay.
After the shit translation that we got of tifa boobs, im sorry but i cant believe this.

Havok

Oct 27, 2017
Northern VA
This doesn't make much sense. Are these restrictions that they've only placed on MMOs? Doesn't Dauntless allow full crossplay including chat and guilds?

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Dauntless gives you an option to not use crossplay which won't happen with XIV as it's an MMO.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
I used to always think it was Microsoft that was the block but after both MS and Nintendo really opened up I assumed it was Sony that was the block on this particular game. This interview is confusing...

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017

With One Dauntless, we're thrilled to offer a true cross-play experience on every system. That means that you can play with your friends no matter which platform they choose. Have one friend on PC, another on Xbox, and a third on PlayStation? With cross-play, you can all hunt together, chat together, or even join up with the same guild!

Yea Dauntless already does all of this as far as I know. Must be a bad translation.

libregkd

Oct 25, 2017
He said it for a reason, maybe he let out a frustration of his?
The most I can think is that it's kind of a stand-in for basically any other game/genres that is not an MMO. Like it's sort of confusingly written but it sounds like MMOs may have additional restrictions in place because, unlike other games (not necessarily FPS games) where you kind of have a "home" environment (xbox,ps, pc, switch) that you start in and can always go back to after a game/match/session/etc in crossplay is up. MMOs would be constantly connected to other systems, with no way to get back "home" so to speak.

Total guess on my part but the constant connected nature of MMOs may be the sticking point hence increased restrictions? No idea.

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
I will have to find the article, but it is coming to PS4 as well in the West after timed exclusivity.

Good to see this clarified that it has always been an issue with MS as far as FFXIV goes.
What about all the games that do support cross play though with communitcation? I feel like this is one of those interviews that will end up being clarified.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Your title makes it sound like Microsoft is ignoring them because they're making an MMO, when it seems like it's more of an oversight that their communication policies prevent crossplay MMO's.

My title doesn't sound like that, it includes a quote from Yoshida himself in how it's easier to make crossplay work for a FPS title than it is for a MMO.

Whatever, I don't wantl to argue with this anymore so I'll request a title change

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
FFXIV has been this weird case for a while now. Microsoft's been fine with all manner of cross play (including chat in games like Dauntless) and obviously they're bringing over fuckin' PSO2, so it's kinda weird there's been a sticking point for so long with FFXIV, especially given how highly regarded it is now.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
The reasoning may be unclear, but I always had a strong hunch it was Microsoft preventing cross play in FF14's case.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Well, this goes against the narrative that Sony is preventing the game from launching on other consoles, seems like it's everyone.
FFXIV started on PS3 when they wanted it on both consoles, and Sony didn't care about online stuff back then. Devs were pretty much free to do things their own way, look at Metal Gear Solid 4 Online, that was some weirdly rigged up stuff, using Konami's online service, and torrents to download and update the game on PS3. With PS4 there's PS+ and $$$, even though sony don't require PS+ for free to play and subscription based games like FFXIV they still want you on their system to rake in the mtx split I'm sure, and now you have the situation with cross play on this gen.

All and all, with 360 at first, Microsoft fought to get Final Fantasy XI on their system even though they would have to play on the same servers as PS2 people (I think xbox got their own servers or something as a option at the most?). After getting that and FFXIII that seemed to have been enough, getting FFXIV on 360 wasn't as smooth for SE. And of course, things are different now, but it just seems like it's too late for FFXIV.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Someone should tweet this article to Phil. The reason here doesn't make sense when compared to what they've been doing recently.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
I remember another thread awhile ago where people just presumed and were SO sure it was just Sony.. despite literally every ff14 player keeping up with news kept pointing to what Yoshi-p has said before - including XBL gold being required to play online which Square didn't want and the other rule MS had at the time was that there needs to be an option for Xbox players to only play with Xbox players.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Except Microsoft makes a cross platform API, that supports cross platform chat?
That's cool and all but Dauntless went the Epic account route, and if they went with MS maybe it would be PC+Xbox, or just no cross play since it's all or nothing for some developers (for example Tekken dev not picking at least two to cross play with PC instead of just not doing it at all).