• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
4.jpg

Final Fantasy XIV Fan Festival 2018​

Final Fantasy XIV Fan Festival is tomorrow. Usually we get a good peek at the next expansion for the MMO. In this case it's 5.0. Luckily this years entire event (excluding the concerts) is going to be streamed by Square Enix themselves for free.

Twitch

t1542393000z4.png

Pacific Standard time:
10:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. (Naoki Yoshida Keynote Address)
11:30 a.m. - 11:45 a.m. (Welcome Ceremony)
12:30 p.m. - 1:45 p.m. (Development Panel featuring Tsuyoshi Yokozawa)
2:30 p.m. - 3:45 p.m. (Between Two Fernes)
4:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. (Costume Contest)

56ffcf11d86973f6f085459c8ec477a6534abab3.png

Free Login Campaign (11.1.2018 - 12.23.2018)

If you've been unsubscribed for atleast 30 days, you have the ability to login to XIV for free for 96 hours.

How it works:

Including the day on which you first log in, the free login period lasts approximately four days. For example, players who log in on November 20, 2018 at 12:00 a.m. can play free of charge until November 23, 2018 at 11:59 p.m.

Last edited:

blonded

Oct 30, 2017
Really hope they announce a switch up in the patch cycle but deep down I know they won't

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Hyped for this as always with fanfest, hope we get a hint (shirt or something else) for one of the new jobs too.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Oh didn't know the streaming was free this year, thanks for the heads-up.

Definitely hyped, even though I only did the story for 4.4 before getting a bit bored again. Might use the free login to at least finish Omega and the zoo lords.

I wonder if the title for the expansion is gonna be "Shadowbringers" that they trademarked earlier this year, fits where the story is going in multiple ways,but it would have the same initials as Stormblood...

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Yoshi P is a god. I can't wait to see what happens with a new FF MMO that's designed from the ground up with him at the reigns

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Oh nice, didn't expect a new free login campaign! I wanted to try it again on my new PC.
I wonder what will be shown (and sorry if it causes a derail, but still hope there'll be something about other platforms).

Mokujin

Oct 31, 2017
Looking forward to it!! Skipped bloodstorm but I really hope I can manage some time to resume it and the next expansión.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played FF14 in years. Did they ever revamp the combat and make it more fun? Last time I was in tune with the game there was rumours of a combat overhaul.

It was my biggest complaint with the game and part of the reason I just drifted away from it. A bit janky to control on PS4 too but that's just because it's a traditional MMO with 500 skill buttons.

Unlike say Neverwinter or TESO which are straight up made for consoles with ease of input.

Techno

Powered by Friendship™
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'll jump back in if there's a new expansion, catch up with all the story content.

I haven't played FF14 in years. Did they ever revamp the combat and make it more fun? Last time I was in tune with the game there was rumours of a combat overhaul.

It was my biggest complaint with the game and part of the reason I just drifted away from it. A bit janky to control on PS4 too but that's just because it's a traditional MMO with 500 skill buttons.

Unlike say Neverwinter or TESO which are straight up made for consoles with ease of input.

Plays mostly the same really, traditional MMORPG combat. With Stormblood they tried making all the classes more fun, they all have different mechanics now. I've only played Warrior mostly since beta, stance dance and all that.

Last edited:

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
new expansion will be Oceanforth, you heard it here first. Everyone gets a mermaid tail!

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I really need to get back into this. I have barely started the stormblood content.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Looking forward to the Shadowbringers trailer. I hope they announce a new job, since there are supposedly going to be three this time.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's actually announcing 5.0 is cancelled and Yoshida has left SE.

It would be cool to see the contrary to happen:

Yoshida new Luminous Studio head, FFXVI in development at Luminous.
Ito to replace Yoshida as XIV director

FFXVI:
- Director: Yoshi-P
- Writer: Yasunori Matsuno
- Development: Luminous Studio
- Coffee Boy: Toriyama

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017

I could not get into the game because the gameplay was too slow compared to say WoW, also lack of addons is a turn off. Enjoy the cinematics though.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017

I wouldn't say it's significantly different, no. They've overhauled the mechanics of the individual jobs, changing combos and adding job-unique gauges and whatnot. Also removed a bunch of abilities to make room for new ones, with the side-effect that lower levels have even fewer things to press and feel incomplete until you hit the 60+ range.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil

FFXVI:
I definitely don't want Yoshi-P wasted on a single-player game. Hopefully you're wrong.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say it's significantly different, no. They've overhauled the mechanics of the individual jobs, changing combos and adding job-unique gauges and whatnot. Also removed a bunch of abilities to make room for new ones, with the side-effect that lower levels have even fewer things to press and feel incomplete until you hit the 60+ range.

I'll probably login and check it out just to see. I don't have the newest expansion pack, just the one from before that. Not that I really managed to play it anyway lol.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
i havent played in a few years, but man do i miss it. i love keeping up with the releases and checking out all the new cool content, hoping one day ill jump back in. just dont have a working PC and dont really want to play on PS4.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It was overhauled in 4.0, but maybe not in the way you expect? Most of the changes are great, but on a fundamental level is still the same, so is not like it evolved further into "action RPG" or something. It improved the combat and removed the problematic 1.0 remnants (the class system mostly), but in general terms is the same.

But I personally always found controller controls very nice and I even played on PC with a controller.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Have high hopes for this Fanfest.

FFXVI:
Man I pray for the day Yoshi P gets to lead a single palyer FF. Dude is my favorite over at SE.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Expansion!??!?

Goddamn I need to resub and finally beat Stormblood. lol.

Don't know what happened, used to play it all the time but just dropped off...

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably login and check it out just to see. I don't have the newest expansion pack, just the one from before that. Not that I really managed to play it anyway lol.
Heavensward is really darn good storywise imo, feels a lot like a singleplayer JRPG... with some padding. :P Stormblood wasn't bad but didn't quite hit those highs.

Oct 25, 2017
Expecting little more than a shirt hint on Yoship, will be pleasantly surprised if they give us a little more to theorize with until next year's fanfests. Can't wait for the stream!!

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck man, I don't have time for a XIV expansion. Stormblood was sick, but it was sooooooo time-consuming.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
I sure hope we get something about 5.0, I've grown so bored of Stormblood. Only thing I really do now is login to raid and that's it.

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
Aaaah that would be nice. Only two classes, both DPS, was one of the few things I felt disappointed with in SB.
I would be pretty surprised if the new jobs were anything other than DPS. They already have a hell of a time balancing the tanks and healers they have, let alone adding new ones. We'll see though! I'd love to have a more even spread i just don't think it's very likely.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
When does the story actually get good? I've played through Realm Reborn and stoped at the beginning of Havensword. From what I have played it was nothing special.

Heavensward and Stormblood are both great. Stormblood a little less so but it picks up very fast. Realm Reborn is garbage.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would be pretty surprised if the new jobs were anything other than DPS. They already have a hell of a time balancing the tanks and healers they have, let alone adding new ones. We'll see though! I'd love to have a more even spread i just don't think it's very likely.

I don't think the playerbase needs even more people on DPS roles.

Apollo

Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When does the story actually get good? I've played through Realm Reborn and stoped at the beginning of Havensword. From what I have played it was nothing special.

The very end of ARR is when things start to get good IMO. HW is fantastic throughout, and SB stays pretty solid. I like it all much better than most of ARR.

Deleted member 18021

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Viera or we riot.

The very tail end of the 2.x patch line, and through Heavensward.
Trips over itself with Stormblood, but catches its footing with the 4.x patches. If you didn't care for it, welll.

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the playerbase needs even more people on DPS roles.
I don't think so either, but they already can't keep the tanks and healers balanced so adding a fourth of each would just make it worse.

edit: I will say I personally think the healers are fine right now, with WHM being the dungeon king and SCH and AST being the raid jobs. But DRK is just a mess.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Two races seems awfully misguided when they're already struggling to put out enough content to keep people subbed, with the added workload each race and class adds every time the item level increases.

Honestly I just hope that they add more content per patch and get away from the Diadem/Eureka garbage that has been plaguing the last two expansions and sucking all of the joy out of it.

The combat is finally at a pretty decent point where each class feels different enough, we just need more reasons to actually play the game.