• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really is. Back when X/X-2 HD were released on the PS3 and Vita, I initially thought "oh, PS3's definitely where I'll be spending most of my time with this", but I tried the Vita version and I very quickly found myself playing it everywhere. Suspend/resume and portability is a godsend for these sorts of games.

I played the remaster on both the PS3/Vita version back then and left it where you're fighting the Bevelle Dragon on the ship, fuck that thing.

Tripled dipped on the Switch version and I'm now at the end game. Love this game to bits.

I also went back to Besaid to notice something I had no idea existed...and got my ass handed to me very concretely.

After looking it up, this will be some good post-game stuff.

Jan 11, 2018
I played the remaster on both the PS3/Vita version back then and left it where you're fighting the Bevelle Dragon on the ship, fuck that thing.

It's not that hard with the right strategy. Haste is of course mandatory, but you can stack Cheer up to five times per character and it makes a huge difference (especially for characters like Wakka, when the ship pulls away). These temporary stat raising abilities are often overlooked.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
It's still funny when Tidus says "I think Seymour went to Macarena Temple." lmao.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That fucking feeling when you spend an hour capturing most monsters and discover most of the map in the Omega Dungeon and get ambushed on your way back to the save spot, berserk/poison/confuse to all your team and die like a bitch.

I should've equipped better. -_-

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
That fucking feeling when you spend an hour capturing most monsters and discover most of the map in the Omega Dungeon and get ambushed on your way back to the save spot, berserk/poison/confuse to all your team and die like a bitch.

I should've equipped better. -_-
lol yeah, I think that happens to every FFX player at some point. It's practically a rite of passage: you gotta have at least one bullshit Great Malboro death in the Omega Ruins because you forgot to put the First Strike character back in the lineup. :P

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol yeah, I think that happens to every FFX player at some point. It's practically a rite of passage: you gotta have at least one bullshit Great Malboro death in the Omega Ruins because you forgot to put the First Strike character back in the lineup. :P
Ya, it's pretty much what happened.

I often do a full cycle of character so that they all gain exp, depending on the monster. Forgot to put Tidus back in there and boom, fucking Malboro piece of shit that pulls bad breath at my team. D:

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Got this in the Christmas eshop sale. Great game to revisit, and I absolutely love the use of HD rumble with the aeons and the stronger attacks. Like, I'm late-game grinding now with the sound off and laptop youtube on, and just being able to feel the Overdrives attack patterns without audio feedback is nuts.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Also, Cheer is the game's most underrated ability.
Pound-for-pound, it's one of the best abilities in FFX, period. It's available from the very beginning on both grids, costs no MP, affects everyone, stacks 5x, can't be Dispelled, is a double buff, can break the Strength cap, and it gets more effective as the game goes on, since stats are calculated exponentially. It works wonders on nearly every boss, up to and especially Penance. It's pretty good, yeah.

Got this in the Christmas eshop sale. Great game to revisit, and I absolutely love the use of HD rumble with the aeons and the stronger attacks. Like, I'm late-game grinding now with the sound off and laptop youtube on, and just being able to feel the Overdrives attack patterns without audio feedback is nuts.
I didn't notice this for the longest time because the Rumble option defaults to Off in these games, and I never thought to look for it until I poked around in the settings menu. They did a really good job with it for this port, though.

ffdgh

Oct 25, 2017
The Mushroom Kingdom
I like the touch heal menu they added. Super convient instead of having to open the menu to use items and cures.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I like the touch heal menu they added. Super convient instead of having to open the menu to use items and cures.
It was in the Vita version as well. That was one of the big reasons why most of my time with the remasters were spent on Vita back in 2014, even though I also got it for PS3. I'm super glad they remembered the feature for Switch.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I realized the Dark Aeons were a thing WAY too late.

Late as in going back to a certain place to get an item for Tidus' final weapon and being greeted by fucking Dark Bahamut

Serrato

Oct 25, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Dark Aeons are a bad tacked-on feature.

Like I get it, Nemesis was not strong enough, let's make an even longer to kill boss called Penance. And then let's add boss to unlock him all over the world which most of them aggro on proximity to Tidus and block important items (Tidus'ultimate weapon part)

Usually I stop my playthough by killing Nemesis and I don't even bother with them.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I was super close to triple dipping on the remaster on Switch (having it on PS3 and PS4) for both portability and the much-lauded recovery feature after each battle. then I paused to look at a comparison video online and learned that the PC version on steam has all sorts of boosters and quality of life stuff like fast forward and no encounters. They ultimately added those into all the PS1 FF games on modern consoles. No hope of that happening here though I guess.

Going to be the steam version for sure. As soon as it goes back on sale that is.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I was super close to triple dipping on the remaster on Switch (having it on PS3 and PS4) for both portability and the much-lauded recovery feature after each battle. then I paused to look at a comparison video online and learned that the PC version on steam has all sorts of boosters and quality of life stuff like fast forward and no encounters. They ultimately added those into all the PS1 FF games on modern consoles. No hope of that happening here though I guess.

Going to be the steam version for sure. As soon as it goes back on sale that is.
Yeah, I don't know why they didn't put those boosters in all the ports after PC. Those were so good, especially being able to toggle encounter rates between none, regular, and more. And freaking autosave! That was a godsend in a lot of places, and I was shocked to see the Switch/XB1 ports didn't include it, especially since the same ports of Final Fantasy XII did.

Also like WoL said above, you can mod FFX to do a lot more things. I recommend UPX, as it lets you do things like fast-forward FFX cutscenes at 8x speed, and has an option where everyone gets AP after battle regardless of whether they were used.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
It saddens me but I fear that the time for Switch booster patch has passed....
For most other companies, I'd agree, but Square has an unusual habit of updating their games many years after the fact. Final Fantasy III, for instance, just got a feature update out of absolutely nowhere, despite coming out on PC in 2014. The PC version of X/X-2 HD was updated three years after its release with a botched patch that they had to retract about a year ago, promising a replacement patch "in the near future" (we still haven't received it yet). Final Fantasy VII for PS4 got a patch four years later that finally fixed the music looping bug. And so on. It's a total coin flip whether or not Square has truly abandoned their games.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't know why they didn't put those boosters in all the ports after PC. Those were so good, especially being able to toggle encounter rates between none, regular, and more. And freaking autosave! That was a godsend in a lot of places, and I was shocked to see the Switch/XB1 ports didn't include it, especially since the same ports of Final Fantasy XII did.

Also like WoL said above, you can mod FFX to do a lot more things. I recommend UPX, as it lets you do things like fast-forward FFX cutscenes at 8x speed, and has an option where everyone gets AP after battle regardless of whether they were used.
Oooooo all of this sounds excellent. Thank you.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
I'm still hesitating about how I'll get the Switch version (the current Square Enix sale is very tempting) but I need a confirmation.
I know that you can't, in any way, have the Japanese dub with English texts so you have to deal with either all-Japanse or all-English for instance.
But does that also apply to the EU/US version?
I mean, do those versions contain the Japanese dub in their data if you change the console's language to Japanese, or is it completely absent and only accessible in the Japan/Asia versions of the game?

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I'm still hesitating about how I'll get the Switch version (the current Square Enix sale is very tempting) but I need a confirmation.
I know that you can't, in any way, have the Japanese dub with English texts so you have to deal with either all-Japanse or all-English for instance.
But does that also apply to the EU/US version?
I mean, do those versions contain the Japanese dub in their data if you change the console's language to Japanese, or is it completely absent and only accessible in the Japan/Asia versions of the game?
Every version of the game is the exact same in terms of what spoken/written languages are included. The Asian-region version contains the full English dub/subs, the North American version contains the full Japanese dub/subs, etc. All that matters is what language you have your Switch set to.

(If you're wondering which format to get: the physical Asian version is the recommended way to go if you can afford it, as it actually has the entire collection on a single 32GB cart. Square only used a 16GB cart for the North American and European versions, requiring users to download the remaining ~13GB.)

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
Every version of the game is the exact same in terms of what spoken/written languages are included. The Asian-region version contains the full English dub/subs, the North American version contains the full Japanese dub/subs, etc. All that matters is what language you have your Switch set to.

(If you're wondering which format to get: the physical Asian version is the recommended way to go if you can afford it, as it actually has the entire collection on a single 32GB cart. Square only used a 16GB cart for the North American and European versions, requiring users to download the remaining ~13GB.)
From what I've seen, the Asian version seems to be lacking subs other that English, Japanese, Chinese (also Korean iirc), but maybe that was wrong?

That's why it wouldn't have surprised me that much for the Japanese dub to be absent from the EU/US versions, but in the end it'd make sense for all SKUs to be the same accross regions (like many other games).

Sadly I know about the 16GB cart restriction for Europe & NA, it's actually why I haven't bought any version on Switch yet since release.
And sadly the Japanese physical version - which I considered buying at some point - looks like it'll remain quite expensive forever.
I think I'll end up getting it digital and not have any regret at 25€ anyway.

Apr 19, 2018
I've finally gotten around to starting FFX on Switch.

It's unfortunate that the in-battle menus suffer from the same sort of lag that FF7-9 had. It makes cycling through the selections feel sticky, and nowhere near as snappy or intuitive as the originals. =/

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
Hi, sorry for resurrecting this thread; I didn't think my questions were worth a thread of their own. Two questions about Last Mission for ya'll.
1. How long is it?
2. How easy is it to save/take breaks from Last Mission? I'm a teacher and I have two infant daughters, so gametime is usually limited to about 30-40 minutes at a pop.
I'm playing on PS3, so no suspend play or whatever. Thanks!

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Hi, sorry for resurrecting this thread; I didn't think my questions were worth a thread of their own. Two questions about Last Mission for ya'll.
1. How long is it?
2. How easy is it to save/take breaks from Last Mission? I'm a teacher and I have two infant daughters, so gametime is usually limited to about 30-40 minutes at a pop.
I'm playing on PS3, so no suspend play or whatever. Thanks!
To answer your second question first: On PS3 and with your schedule, Last Mission is probably not a great fit. Saving is really awkward; you do it by using expendable Save Memos on elevators that take you between floors. Save Memos drop completely randomly, so there's always a chance you could go several floors without one. If you really want to give LM a go under your circumstances, try to keep a Save Memo or two handy at all times (if the game will let you).

LM's overall length is about 20 hours, though this can vary quite a bit depending on how the game decides to treat you. There's a generous amount of both luck and strategy involved, and figuring out how to advance floors as you near the top of the tower can be a headache without a guide.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
To answer your second question first: On PS3 and with your schedule, Last Mission is probably not a great fit. Saving is really awkward; you do it by using expendable Save Memos on elevators that take you between floors. Save Memos drop completely randomly, so there's always a chance you could go several floors without one. If you really want to give LM a go under your circumstances, try to keep a Save Memo or two handy at all times (if the game will let you).

LM's overall length is about 20 hours, though this can vary quite a bit depending on how the game decides to treat you. There's a generous amount of both luck and strategy involved, and figuring out how to advance floors as you near the top of the tower can be a headache without a guide.

Thanks so much for your response! Sounds like something that I should hold off on for now.