• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which platform are you playing the Remaster on?

• Switch

Votes: 540 43.0%
  • PS4

Votes: 461 36.7%
  • Steam

Votes: 200 15.9%
  • Xbox One

Votes: 55 4.4%

• Total voters

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Finally got Selphie's card.

Also got Odin and realized that killing Tonberries don't give you any experience so I'll be killing some for the Tonberry King GF.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit the final boss models look amazing. It makes this final fight even more intense with how crazy it is.
It took me 15 years to finish FFVIII.

I got to the final boss fight around 3 AM, looked at my cat, and said "Looks like it's time to wrap this up."

By the time I finished and saw the end of the final cutscene, I heard birds chirping outside.
I can imagine the feeling right as you hit the final screen. I remember when I finished it for the first time and watched the ending I was blown away. It's such a gorgeous finale and followup to the fights beforehand.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Is there actually a way to tell how many kills you've made?
Yup but you need the battle meter Cid gives when you become a SeeD member which is optional. If you grabbed it then go to Tutorial in Main Menu and click Information. Then click battle information and then character kills. It will show you each characters kill count

Also if anyone else is wondering the Tutorial section has updated information on towns, history, characters and other neat info as you progress through the gamem

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Yup but you need the battle meter Cid gives when you become a SeeD member which is optional. If you grabbed it then go to Tutorial in Main Menu and click Information. Then click battle information and then character kills. It will show you each characters kill count

Also if anyone else is wondering the Tutorial section has updated information on towns, history, characters and other neat info as you progress through the gamem
Oh so if I didn't grab it before I can't get it again? I'm already near the end of disc 2 lol

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
i THINK it's safe for me to move on now, could someone confirm?

I have the Quistis, Zell, Seifer cards, lost Minimog to the queen and she went to Dollet, and I got 20 Elnoyles. Am I missing anything before I step onto the train?

Kubiubo

Oct 29, 2017
Ok but seriously how did they mess up the presentation so much? The overture intro (pre title screen) has the wrong timing to the music. It should crescendo when Rinoa's back fades to the logo, but it doesnt. It plays much more of the music because the rest of the animations were too quick or something.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I DID IT. PLATINUM TROPHY AND FINISHED THE REMASTER.

Replaying this with the Remaster updates was worth everything. The models are THAT good and the PS1 music getting to play on consoles again is glorious.

Also another artwork done for VIII by Yukihiro Kajimoto:

Ok but seriously how did they mess up the presentation so much? The overture intro (pre title screen) has the wrong timing to the music. It should crescendo when Rinoa's back fades to the logo, but it doesnt. It plays much more of the music because the rest of the animations were too quick or something.
Unfortunately it looks like they sped everything up except the track so the music doesn't align with it.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
"Squall, you big stud! This is all for you! Enjoy the show!"

proceeds to tap dance gingerly

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
Just picked this up. Haven't played VIII since 1999 or so? I loved Triple Triad so much; I remember rushing home from class so I could listen to Shuffle or Boogie and take on more people and win their awesome cards. I also remember LOVING the Ultimecia Castle boss run. I still think it's the best final dungeon in FF.

Conversely I disliked Squall, and the rest of the cast seemed so bland coming off VII - main cast and villains alike. The Laguna segments were where I thought the characters really shined, or were at least more interesting.

And I think I enjoyed the junction system? I remember being surprised people hated it so much back then; not that those complaints weren't valid but for whatever reason I recall having fun with it.

Anyway, just some old memories I'm blabbing out there but looking forward to giving it another shot.

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys,

I asked this upthread but I got a bit confused with the answer.

So say I have Ifrit junctioned to squall, when I go into the stats junction it suggests thunder to be junctioned to my attack.

1. Does this mean the more thunder I draw from enemies the stronger squall will get?
2. Did they just suggest thunder because at that time I had a lot of thunder magic and actually it would be better to junction fire because ifrit is fire?

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Hey guys,

I asked this upthread but I got a bit confused with the answer.

So say I have Ifrit junctioned to squall, when I go into the stats junction it suggests thunder to be junctioned to my attack.

1. Does this mean the more thunder I draw from enemies the stronger squall will get?
2. Did they just suggest thunder because at that time I had a lot of thunder magic and actually it would be better to junction fire because ifrit is fire?
1. Yes the more of a magic you have, the more it increases the stat. The stronger the stat and the more compatible it is with a stat (for example, offensive magic = attack, healing magic = HP/defense) and the more you get. You basically always want 100 of a magic junctioned.

2. The GF's element doesn't affect the junction at all. The abilities are all uniform for all GFs. HP-J or ATK-J or whatever works exactly the same.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Floating in space and ragnarok for me, I dont dislike the romance in the game, I just find that section a bit tedious in replays

I'm not the biggest fan of FFVIII overall but those are my absolute favourite parts of the game. I agree that it's not the most fun sequence to replay but something about the tone and the vibe of it all hits me perfectly, especially the floating in space segment. All that stuff as well as Adel/Esther was generally the point where I've always felt the game peaked and had my attention the firmest.

Edit:
What is your least favorite "arc" of the game? Mine is the D-District prison. I hate it every time lol. All those repetitious floors and the running up and down, some of them having shortcuts, most not. Bit of a bummer following the fantastic ending end of Disc One. Luckily the two moments that follow it are incredible.

I'd agree with the prison probably. It's a weird pacing hiccup that feels jarring compared to the sequences that come before/after.

Last edited:

Asian Oni

Oct 27, 2017
Winning Alexander and Laguna cards sure was interesting..
KGS3Y1S.png

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
STILL HAVEN'T LEFT BALAMB

Like 5 more Elnoyle to go. Don't mind taking my time. Gotta hold off on getting the Platinum anyway.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The Parade for Edea is a real great moment on Disc 1. I remember feeling it was such a big looking event back when the OG game came out and while it's obviously a bit less impressive now I just loved what they did with it.

One of my favourite Final Fantasy characters in terms of design and character. I hate that she gets forgotten often for Ultimecia but I guess it makes sense.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
"It's this kind of transvestite than ruled Esthar, no? What became of him?"

No idea where the original translators got that from but I assume they're talking about Adele

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"It's this kind of transvestite than ruled Esthar, no? What became of him?"

No idea where the original translators got that from but I assume they're talking about Adele

Was it included in the english version? I can't remember anything similar to that in the versions I played.

Feb 10, 2018
I hate when the rules "random" and/or "direct" are in effect, it's so hard to win the specific cards we want.

How do I remove rules ? If I remember I have to beat a specific NPC in Balamb and then speak to it ?

Oct 27, 2017
I want to make a playlist featuring every track with an Eyes on Me motif and I may need help.

Waltz for the Moon
Julia
My Mind
Blue Sky
Love Grows
Eyes on Me

Anything I missed? Originally, the Ending Theme had a different version of EOM, yes?

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean....Wutai is supposed to be an entire country that was big enough to go to war with Shinra and when you finally go there it's literally a small town.

You don't see all existing towns and cities in the original FFVII. For example, in Crisis Core you get to explore a town called Modeoheim which wasn't in the original.

1000 Needles

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I hate when the rules "random" and/or "direct" are in effect, it's so hard to win the specific cards we want.

How do I remove rules ? If I remember I have to beat a specific NPC in Balamb and then speak to it ?

Not sure about the Balamb NPC, but what I do is:

1. Play a game in a region that has at least 1 different rule from the region you want go modify. Let's pretend that Balamb has Open, and Galbadia has Plus and Same. You'd play a game in Balamb, so that you're carrying Balamb's rules.
  2. SAVE YOUR GAME! This cannot be overstated
  3. Find a player in Galbadia, and challenge them.
  4. They'll ask if you want to mix rules. Say "Yes"
  5. Immediately cancel out of the game. 1 of 3 things will now happen: A) Nothing, B) Open will spread, or C) Plus or Same will be abolished
  6. If the rule you want spread/abolished happens, great! You're done. If nothing happens, repeat the process
  7. If they ever stop asking to mix rules, and you haven't spread/abolished, reset and try again
Note this can be an incredibly time consuming process, because I don't know how to RNG manipulate to control the change of rules, but it should work... eventually.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I want to make a playlist featuring every track with an Eyes on Me motif and I may need help.

Waltz for the Moon
Julia
My Mind
Blue Sky
Love Grows
Eyes on Me

Anything I missed? Originally, the Ending Theme had a different version of EOM, yes?
Ending Theme has the orchestrated version.

I'm not sure about Blue Sky having it. I think it's using small parts of Movin instead.
Awesome. Good job.

I am still on disc 1 lol :(
Thanks!

I went through the game quickly for the plat(It would have been done earlier if I didn't get Triple Triad addiction) and now that I'm done I can start another playthrough and go at a slower pace. I'm deciding between Switch or Steam right now but leaning towards Steam so I can knock off achievements.
You don't see all existing towns and cities in the original FFVII. For example, in Crisis Core you get to explore a town called Modeoheim which wasn't in the original.
Her point is that at the time towns and locations were limited so whenever the story claimed something huge or labeled the area a particular way it didn't always add up because they weren't able to show everything.

So going back to the original example of Balamb, even though it's labeled the smallest continent they still call it a country and we only see three areas when most likely there is actually other small towns and areas they don't show.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God the concert scene in Fisherman's Horizon is so good and just reminds me of why I love this game so much.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The rules thing sucks. I want to get Edea's card and all I get is Elemental will be spread. Do I need to close the game entirely instead of exit and reload?

Anyway I'm worse at the game than I thought. I did get Lionheart right after Brothers, but then I found out I fucked up Diablos. I never missed this GF, and didn't even know it was missable but it is. Worse, I killed the 2 statues too fast and didn't get Carbuncle either, lol. I just do all the rest and then speed run to those 2 things in a second play.

No Diablos is pretty bad, because I can't really get Triples etc fast now.

Also, the awesome end of disc 2 set piece had a midi version of The Landing playing? wtf is this.

About Squall's personality (game's finale):

An interesting thing about Squall is that I think he's actually a very good character. He's simply afraid of losing people (as he was abandoned by his Sis), and dying as people will talk about him in a past sense and then forget. His thoughts are usually pretty good and show he does care a lot but deliberately holds people off. I think he is a mirror image of Ultimecia in that his worst fear is that he will be forgotten when he's gone. This is exactly why Ultimecia wants time compression.[/spoiler\

Last edited:

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
The rules thing sucks. I want to get Edea's card and all I get is Elemental will be spread. Do I need to close the game entirely instead of exit and reload?

Anyway I'm worse at the game than I thought. I did get Lionheart right after Brothers, but then I found out I fucked up Diablos. I never missed this GF, and didn't even know it was missable but it is. Worse, I killed the 2 statues too fast and didn't get Carbuncle either, lol. I just do all the rest and then speed run to those 2 things in a second play.

Also, the awesome end of disc 2 set piece had a midi version of The Landing playing? wtf is this.

An interesting thing about Squall is that I think he's actually a very good character. He's simply afraid of losing people (as he was abandoned by his Sis), and dying as people will talk about him in a past sense and then forget. His thoughts are usually pretty good and show he does care a lot but deliberately holds people off. I think he is a mirror image of Ultimecia in that his worst fear is that he will be forgotten when he's gone. This is exactly why Ultimecia wants time compression.

They both hard reset the game, so no. What you need to do is manipulate the RNG so another rule spreads/gets abolished.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Alright I started Steam version. Now to sit back and Triple Triad all day.

An interesting thing about Squall is that I think he's actually a very good character. He's simply afraid of losing people (as he was abandoned by his Sis), and dying as people will talk about him in a past sense and then forget. His thoughts are usually pretty good and show he does care a lot but deliberately holds people off. I think he is a mirror image of Ultimecia in that his worst fear is that he will be forgotten when he's gone. This is exactly why Ultimecia wants time compression.
Like Saphirax said, you will need to manipulate the RNG. You can use Draw Points to do it.

The bug is mentioned in the OP as is missable achievement guides. It's the only Track that seems to force the midi song at that point.

Also as much as it is annoying to do, I would spoiler the last bit. We actually have quite a few new people playing for the first time.
They both hard reset the game, so no. What you need to do is manipulate the RNG so another rule spreads/gets abolished.
It's still too bad exiting doesn't change the RNG.

Anyway yeah manipulating RNG seems to be the way to go. Using Draw Points seems to be the favored way.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Listening again, there's this tiny little nugget that hints at eom that gets me, but probably not enough for the playlist.

Edit: didn't mean to cut out the Blue Sky segment of your post I quoted.
I tried to listen for it and I thought for like a split second something from EOM would appear but it's too different. I hear Movin and weirdly enough a bit of the Highwind theme in it lol

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Since it seems a lot of people miss this part at the very beginning of the game I wanted to screenshot it since it's so great and one of the best Squall moments. It was brought up before by Meowster.

cioIyV0.jpg
fSoc1ks.jpg

One of my top favourite tracks from this game. It's so good and I wonder how new players will feel hearing it for the first time. I almost wish it played forever in Garden lol
My game freezes whenever I attempt to talk to Big Bad Rascal in Balamb Harbor...
Which console?

The Chocobo Mini game is straight up garbage. Getting my whistle stolen over and over while hardly moving at all just makes me want to rage quit.

Absolute lowest point of FF8 for me. /rage
Chocobo Forest definitely isn't fun but your whistle would only get stolen if you keep using it where the sonar isn't going off. Are you moving around an area that went off and using it before using Sonar?

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Chocobo Forest definitely isn't fun but your whistle would only get stolen if you keep using it where the sonar isn't going off. Are you moving around an area that went off and using it before using Sonar?

Of course once I make a rage post on ERA I end up getting it shortly after (Thanks to following a YT guide). I guess I somehow misunderstood the controls.