• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Era of not Yakuza
Dec 4, 2017
Brazil

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
The most underrated cast in Final Fantasy history. The game focuses so much on Squall and Rinoa, but has some of the greatest FF villains in Seifer and Ultimicia (theory is canon fite me), and Quistis, Irvine, and Selfie are extremely underrated characters. And that goes for Squall's dad too. (Forgot his name at the moment)

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
I mean...... Seriously? So much hyperbole going on in the OP I can't even handle it.

No lies detected in that quote.

On the topic of not being able to handle it, though, I get it:

FFVIII shines too brilliantly for some. In those cases, blind hatred can seem like the one refuge from its all-encompassing light.

:P

Seriously, though...those fools at SE need to announce a console port sooner rather than later. I'm now thinking about all this random stuff from the game and just dying to play it again. For example, as someone who went through depression as a teenager and ended up feeling super disconnected from school, the thought of straight up driving your school across the world is making me feel things.

FFVIII does a lot of wonderful stuff. It will never be the most loved FF game, although I think certain people vastly underestimate how loved it is, but it will always be one of the most special.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
It's one of the games I 100%'d and cannot remember much about it.

To be fair, it was a long time ago I played it.

I remember shooting her dog at enemies, though.

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
You've already got LOTS of salient advice for your playthrough so I'll just say that FFVIII is my FAVOURITE game. I hope you enjoy it again!

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
It's the standard PR answer they give to virtually anything that's not announced
If the port isn't possible then the answer would be less open such as "we have no plans to do this" rather than say no for now but later is a possibility.

They are going to port VIII to PS4. I fully believe it will be announced at some point this year.

OP
OP
Era of not Yakuza
Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
A day after the RE6 repost thread, and we have something even worse. FFVIII as the best FF game is a rough take.
Imagine in 10 years a thread saying the same thing about FFXIII
The only advice I can give someone asking about ff8 is play literally any other ff game (minus 2) as they're all much better.
Thanks for the April Fools joke.
This weird FF8 revisionism is something I'm never get used to.

Dreadful game.
I mean...... Seriously? So much hyperbole going on in the OP I can't even handle it.

You've already got LOTS of salient advice for your playthrough so I'll just say that FFVIII is my FAVOURITE game. I hope you enjoy it again!
I have finished the game 3 times in the last 19 years, the only thing that may be difficult today are the random encounters. Don't know if I still have the patience

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
Would love a remake of this and IX but with the same gameplay. Not arpg.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
No lies detected in that quote.

On the topic of not being able to handle it, though, I get it:

FFVIII shines too brilliantly for some. In those cases, blind hatred can seem like the one refuge from its all-encompassing light.

:P

Seriously, though...those fools at SE need to announce a console port sooner rather than later. I'm now thinking about all this random stuff from the game and just dying to play it again. For example, as someone who went through depression as a teenager and ended up feeling super disconnected from school, the thought of straight up driving your school across the world is making me feel things.

FFVIII does a lot of wonderful stuff. It will never be the most loved FF game, although I think certain people vastly underestimate how loved it is, but it will always be one of the most special.

I don't hate the game and it is a shame that Switch isn't getting a port of it too, at least as of yet, but the OP was bananas over the top.

Oct 25, 2017
I just adore how utterly broken it is. Grinding cards for hours and having 6000+ hp in the early parts of the game, doing smaaaaaaaaaaash damage because you junction the fuck out of attack, endless limits breaks. It's so damn fun.

I'm replaying FFIX on my vita and, while I do love it, having a shitty, useless card game really knocks it down a peg.

Ugh. Maybe another play of 8 again once I'm done with 9.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
At least FFVII let you feel like a god damn genius with its materia chaining. Oh look at me, I'm going to draw repeatedly and junction 100 of whatever and go stomp.

UltimaKilo

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
Completely agree that this was the SquareSoft golden age. I would kill for a high-res pre-rendered and character model remaster with orchestrated soundtrack.

Then again, I'm still waiting for FFV and FFVI remakes. :(

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Then again, I'm still waiting for FFV and FFVI remakes. :(
giphy.gif

FF6 would be a dream

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they're taking so long to port FF8 to the PS4 because they're busy trying to figure out how to keep they music from resetting after every battle (the guy who did it for FF10 wanted too much money).

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Shine on, you crazy diamonds.

FF8 is a quirky favorite, but it certainly has its positive traits. I think it made some odd decisions, personally, but I think it is, at the very least, an interesting game.

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017

I have finished the game 3 times in the last 19 years, the only thing that may be difficult today are the random encounters. Don't know if I still have the patience

You can skip them though, with basically no penalty

At least FFVII let you feel like a god damn genius with its materia chaining. Oh look at me, I'm going to draw repeatedly and junction 100 of whatever and go stomp.

If you are getting your magic from drawing then you are definitely not a genius

Try refine chaining

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing a lot of posts on the first page go after the PC version being "busted" compared to the PS1 version.

Aren't there mods that at the minimum make it equivalent to the PS1 version? Even if it's just a straight porting of audio and FMVs, as Square usually botched those for the PS1 trilogy of mainline FF games.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing a lot of posts on the first page go after the PC version being "busted" compared to the PS1 version.

Aren't there mods that at the minimum make it equivalent to the PS1 version? Even if it's just a straight porting of audio and FMVs, as Square usually botched those for the PS1 trilogy of mainline FF games.

The music for the original PC release of FFVIII is fine if you have a yamaha XG synth ( I hear people say Yamaha's software synth worked well too, but I never tried it). The issues came with standard GM implementation from memory, which was not very good.

I once read that steam rerelease uses poorly recorded mp3's of the yamaha xg synth, but again I never bothered to buy the steam version. I'd imagine someone has done a mod on qhimm at some point to replace them with better versions though

Last edited:

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
They have already said it is possible to port VIII to PS4.

That doesn't mean they didn't lose the source code, to be fair. The person you responded to was wrong that it's impossible, but the source code for VII and Kingdom Hearts was definitely lost, with IX seeming to have been (to a lesser degree) too.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
I just played it on a vita and beat it last week.
I'd say between PS3 and vita those are your best options as far as what to play it on.

The game itself... makes absolutely no sense... I like a lot about that game .. but I hate most of the core functions like draw and... junction... a couple of the characters are likable enough and theres some great soundtrack highlights... but the game seriously lacks cohesiveness
cohesiveness that other games like VII perfectly execute.

KcebAnier

Oct 29, 2017
This weird FF8 revisionism is something I'm never get used to.

Dreadful game.
The game's always had its fans. I don't think the overall mixed reception to it has really changed. This thread is simply a microcosm of that, it's a very love-or-hate game.

There is no revisionism with regards to Final Fantasy VIII being a great game and it has never had a mixed reception. Final Fantasy VIII being a bad game is something the internet made up after some game breaking exploits were popularized years after it released. It was a universally acclaimed game at launch and one of the highest rated games in the series, holding a 9.0 average rating from critics and an 8.9 from users.

The only revisionism going on with FFVIII is people pretending they played the game so they can laugh about how broken it never was. The games biggest actual flaw is that you have to draw magic 5 to 8 times to fill your inventory until you figure out other ways to get it.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
There is no revisionism with regards to Final Fantasy VIII being a great game and it has never had a mixed reception. Final Fantasy VIII being a bad game is something the internet made up after some game breaking exploits were popularized years after it released. It was a universally acclaimed game at launch and one of the highest rated games in the series, holding a 9.0 average rating from critics and an 8.9 from users.

The only revisionism going on with FFVIII is people pretending they played the game so they can laugh about how broken it never was. The games biggest actual flaw is that you have to draw magic 5 to 8 times to fill your inventory until you figure out other ways to get it.
no way I lived it... the game was truly offputting to many people including myself when it launched. There's nothing revisionist about people thinking FFVIII was worse than VII... it's always been a fairly common sentiment

also I don't think anyone really knew how to "Game" FFVIII when it came out. Which I believe is part of the reason so many people didn't "get" it

KcebAnier

Oct 29, 2017
Even without refining you're still hitting damage cap on Disk 1.

Bonkers broken stuff is almost a staple of JRPGs, but this game really took it to a whole new level. It's almost impossible NOT to cheese.

That is blatantly untrue. You cannot come close to hitting damage Cap that early in FFVIII without 10s of hours of grinding and looking up locations and spending additional hours gathering items. You can do things like push your power extremely high in FFVIII, but you have to go out of your way to do so. That is one of the things that makes it a great game. You can do that, but the game doesn't tell you how and it certainly doesn't make it easy enough that you don't even have to try to do it.

KcebAnier

Oct 29, 2017
no way I lived it... the game was truly offputting to many people including myself when it launched. There's nothing revisionist about people thinking FFVIII was worse than VII... it's always been a fairly common sentiment

also I don't think anyone really knew how to "Game" FFVIII when it came out. Which I believe is part of the reason so many people didn't "get" it

I also lived it and like every other sequel in a series, there are always people who think the one that came before it was better in every way. That does not change the fact that those people were a minority. FFVIII was one of the most popular games in the world when it came out.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Ya, pretty much.

When 8 first came out, I didn't like it, because I didn't understand it. Once I realized how Drawing and Junctioning and GFs and Level Scaling really worked, I didn't like it because I understood it.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
I also lived it and like every other sequel in a series, there are always people who think the one that came before it was better in every way. That does not change the fact that those people were a minority. FFVIII was one of the most popular games in the world when it came out.
popular? Absolutely
Critically acclaimed? Sure maybe
but it was always a mixed bag when it came to people liking the game from what I remember

I think more likely (and what I have noticed) is as time went on it gained a cult following that grew into what you see today. It has a very passionate fanbase and following... but I really don't think that was always the case... or at least ... it wasn't as prominent and visible back in the pre internet days.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017

People thinking VIII is worse than VII does not mean they disliked VIII. No game in the series has ever come close to the popularity of VII and using that against VIII is a bizarre measurement of quality.

The fact is that you and many others were surrounded by people online that were extremely vocal with their hatred and cant accept the idea that this didn't represent the majority of people who played it. The game was critically well received and still sells well on other platforms.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
The fact is that you and many others were surrounded by people online that were extremely vocal with their hatred and cant accept the idea that this didn't represent the majority of people who played it. The game was critically well received and still sells well on other platforms.
there was no online man it was 1999... my mom didn't get internet for years after that haha. That's kind of my point... there's a lot of conversation about that game now but then all I remember was ... "gunblades are cool but this isn't VII"

I mean I liked it and hated it... couldnt stop playing it back in the day... but hated every minute of it... its a polarizing game. Has a weird effect on people. I remember the general consensus was that VIII wasn't that great for years... imagine my surprise when I found out people actually liked the game. I didn't just make that up... SOMEthing had to have made me think that was how it was.

Oct 26, 2017
* Read up on everything at your computer.
* Take all the tests to max out your SeeD level.
* Get huge money every few minutes.
* Buy Tents.
* Refine tents into magic.
* Equip magic.
* Unkillable.

Status
Not open for further replies.