• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
Glad I still have my original ps1 copy :)

8ef0fe44a8758e4e877720a9dcfc413d--box-art-final-fantasy.jpg
Man, I always feel sorry for you guys and your ugly box art.

But then I remember that we got 50hz and I'm like "Nah, fuck em, they get the better games, they can have their ugly boxes"

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I've been looking at various ways to replay Final Fantasy VIII again and it seems like the PS Vita is my best option since I already own it via PSOne Classic. I'd look into the PC version but it seems like VIII has some rough issues on it apparently? So it looks like Vita is my final option. I wouldn't really mind but I would definitely prefer playing it on a bigger screen. But since we still have no PS4/XBO/Switch release for VIII I'm gonna have to use Vita.

TheWraith

Oct 28, 2017
I still don't get how we can have a port of FFVII, FFIX, X and XII on Switch, but somehow FFVIII gets skipped. Come on Square!

Dec 2, 2017
I really don't understand why they'd do ports of 7 and 9 but not 8? Unless they're saving 8 for this year as a 20th anniversary thing. But even so that wouldn't make sense.

TurdFerguson

Oct 28, 2017
Norway
Not just switch, there's no viii port for any of the platforms. :(

They did realease it on Steam back in 2013, but that might just be the original PC version re-released. I bought it, but have never actually tested it.

I actually hated FFVIII back when it was released. I hated the more "realistic" character designs, the draw mechanics and the junction system. But this a game that has grown on me over the years, and somehow I have almost completely changed my mind. I still don't love the drawing, but the story and characters really are something special.

And while we are at it, I came over this beautiful piano versjon of Eyes on Me the other day. Check out her other stuff as well, a lot of amazing gaming music.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So... what's up with Ellone's powers? They're not sorcery since she's not a sorceress, they're not para-magic since she doesn't need to be junctioned with a GF, they're not a limit break since she doesn't have to be in critical situations or be using Aura...

That'd be an interesting story to tell. Like, the only things that can do something similar to Ellone are Guardian Forces. Ellone connects one mind to another, trained people Junction themselves with Guardians, and the Junction Machine mimics her power.

Maybe she's related to Guardian Forces? There's a story there.

Ellone is a Guardian Force.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Where is my remaster dammit? At this point I would take a straight port. This is my second favorite FF and the only reason I haven't replayed yet is because I was sure they would release a remake or at least a FFIX remaster this year.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
FFVIII is a weird case of a game that's so good and so bad at the same time. I really love the game and sorta can't stay more than 3 years without replaying it but if someone says it's a garbage game, i would not necessarily disagree.

The combat is so bad in theory, but it's so fun at the same time haha And it does have probably one of the worst playable character hosts of jrpgs in general, but...i guess most of the characters just sucks, no way over that. I probably like them for nostalgia reasons tho.

On the other side, the game has so many memorable moments. From the Dollet Mission, the ankward dancing scene, the sorceress assassinatiom plot, to the desert prison, battle of the Gardens, Esthar, going to space, Laguna's stuff, fucking Ultimecia castle...these specific setpieces makes the game shine even when the base structure is not very solid.

It's still my 3rd ot 4th favorite FF originally released on the PS1, and i mean that as a compliment, because every FF on the PS1 is just so awesome.

Well, it has the potential to be the one FF that would improve the most from a remake, so i kinda want it.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are those serious flaws everybod keeps talking about?

IMO the biggest one is the story feels incomplete. Ultimecia's story seems underbaked and many plot threads have no conclusion at all (Laguna's relationship to Squall, Seifer's redemption, the mystery of Ellone, etc.).

If the game was released in this day and age I bet they would have added a bunch of DLCs to explain stuff.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
Presumably they didn't lose the source code for 9. The game was developed in the US so maybe they knew better than to delete the code after releasing the game. Also, 9 doesn't have the Faye Wong problem.
i assume ff9 was archived in a much better way than 7 and 8. 7's original pc release was reverse engineered from the final game, i believe 8 was the same as it was notoriously bad. 8's steam version was apparently cobbled together using fan made patches, including mention of the authors still included in various files. i think it's just too much work for them to try and reverse engineer the current mess the game is in for a proper port. they could wrap the ps1 version in an emulator perhaps but not sure square have the right people internally to do that or whether they see that as worth their time.
i'm not sure the licensing is an issue - the game is still sold on Steam and the psn store (i think?) but perhaps there are legal loopholes that allow that whereas a new port would require a new license.
tldr; fuck knows why this game is in limbo. if a simple port isn't announced this year for the 20th anniversary then who knows what's going on.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of my lowkey favorite things about Square's PS1 games from the late 90s is how they had that rectangular, grey metallic looking menu. FFVIII, Parasite Eve, Chrono Cross (optional), etc. That menu isn't as iconic as the blue window with white round border from the 2D era, but it's just as good IMO.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Woahhhh

Rare music featured in the Final Fantasy VIII demo movie. Likely composed by Nobuo Uematsu, it features an intense vibe and really sold a lot of people coupled with the new generation of CG characters that were the first natural/normal proportioned features. This music was extracted from the original trailer available for viewing elsewhere on youtube. This song was never expanded on (that I know of) or released on an album.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
I was such an FFVIII fan that Selphie being in Kingdom Hearts was part of the hype for me before it came out! That....was disappointing, haha.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playing VII and IX on Switch I've been impressed with the visual cleanups...a similar treatment could really make this look good. Always really liked it.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I thought I would do a bump with some Final Fantasy VIII related news:

Premonition Arrangement for Dissidia which starts at 4:20.

Shuffle or Boogie

Love Grows and Shuffle or Boogie were added in March for Japan when interlocked with Arcade account.

The Landing arrangement released in December but I'll also post it because it's pretty good.

Dissidia NT Free Edition Squall tutorial

They used Theatrhythm Squall and Ultimecia for a tutorial video.

D2RWBkUUgAAspZl.jpg

Ultimecia outfit added for Echo in Final Fantasy Mobius. The Final Fantasy VIII 20th Anniversary event is probably hitting Global in June but I'm keeping an eye in case it comes earlier.

Record Keeper Global is finally getting Irvines Chain Soul Break and it uses the basketball court scene. There is also new weapons and outfit relics for Laguna which are a new machine gun and his knight armour.

D1mX9oSUwAAg5qs.png:large

Here was the Anniversary banner for VIII.

This is the official website for Record Keeper and it has a synopsis of each game, some of the characters shown and music samples:
https://www.finalfantasyrecordkeeper.com/