• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Favorite FF7R character

• Cloud

Votes: 278 18.2%
  • Tifa

Votes: 518 34.0%
  • Barret

Votes: 257 16.9%
  • Aerith

Votes: 471 30.9%

• Total voters

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Eks3jb2.png

rQ73hKo.png

DVUGC21.png

WMlej9e.png

final-fantasy-vii-remake-deluxe-edition.jpg

nez237ixqm331.jpg

ikyOKuj.png

8S63Mjp.png

JyeLngU.png

0MMZxjP.png

xrlVCWW.png

uGwBEQG.png

G9UhuhP.png

TsujXC1.png

52mFoGd.png

Screenshots:

7282Aeh.png

(Click the above banner for the review thread)
IGN
(8/10)
The expectations around Final Fantasy 7 Remake are sky high, and it mostly manages to deliver. Its combat is top notch, its enemy variety kept me constantly entertained, and seeing this snippet of story fleshed out with real emotional arcs and the previously hidden humanity behind Midgar filled me with pure joy. The boring RPG filler and Kingdom Hearts-esque convolution that was inserted in between did stop my ear-to-ear grin from being constant, but never long enough to kill the mood completely. That leaves this remake as one that still delivered on letting me relive (part of) a classic in stupendous fashion, while also standing as a great RPG all its own.

Kotaku
Final Fantasy VII Remake is not what I expected. It's a grand, ambitious, beautiful experiment, a bold new take on a game that millions of people remember fondly. It sometimes feels shackled by the weight of two decades worth of expectations, but it handles those restraints with aplomb. I certainly can't wait to see what's next. As a great man named Barret Wallace once said: There ain't no getting off this train we on.

Polygon
Remake is wildly uneven, poorly paced, and not entirely successful as a game in its own right. It takes a game that still feels staggeringly ambitious and often turns it into something more traditional, even if every aspect of the experience is so much more technically advanced.

But Remake is also the very best thing a game can be: fascinating. It forces us to confront our subjective tastes, and asks us to consider what we value in the games we play. Your feelings about Remake will be determined by what you, personally, valued in the original release.

It's a mirror held in front of each member of the audience. What are your favorite parts of Final Fantasy VII, and did Square Enix enhance those aspects of the game, make them worse, or remove them altogether? Every fan of the original is likely going to have a slightly different answer to both questions.

edGGCcf.png

if3b0ej.png

kGgAzeH.png

YSHtDQK.png

mnkQHZF.png

Fun fact this was an alternative main banner. Due to the ongoing pandemic of COVID-19 the game has released early in many places though some of us (like me) don't have our copies yet as things are very crazy right now that's affecting getting copies out. Regardless the OT is going up way way earlier than normal since there's enough people getting copies of the game. If you did get an early copy don't be mean and spoil the game for others. As such do not openly post spoilers in this thread, there's a spoiler thread right here. With that out of the way big thanks to the FF Discord for being awesome and supportive of me getting the thread done. <3

Have fun, be safe, and wash your damn hands everyone.

Last edited:

Yoshichan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Here we go.

So I'm wondering, is ERA going to be using this or the other thread for the continuous hate towards this game? And base it off of Twitch streamers?

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoying my time with the game so far. 5 and a half hours into the game and I think I'm towards the end of Chapter 4. It's a long, big game if it's going to continue at this pace.

BTW the game is 90.66 GB in size :)

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great OT!

Just a reminder that preload starts this Friday (3rd) and reviews go up next Monday (6th).

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Oh snap its time. Too bad I will probably be waiting until the 10th. Im staying out of this thread until then.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Nice OT!
First disc is currently installing, the wait is almost over. Still feels surreal, haha.

May 10, 2018
Only played some of the original and even though I know the general beats of the story, most of this is going to be totally new for me so I'm excited play this.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
One-Winged Man Yells at Cloud should've been the OT subtitle!! *shakes fist*

Still have to wait until next week for my copy....*shakes fist*

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Kind of hard to believe that this is actually a real video game that people are playing.

Meanwhile I'm sitting here hoping for my pre-order to ship early.

OP
OP
Eleriu

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoying my time with the game so far. 5 and a half hours into the game and I think I'm towards the end of Chapter 4. It's a long, big game if it's going to continue at this pace.

I was going by what was on the box.
One-Winged Man Yells at Cloud should've been the OT subtitle!! *shakes fist*

Still have to wait until next week for my copy....*shakes fist*
That can be the title for |OT| 2. :p

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Great OT! Don't know if it matters but the game is not 100gb it is 90.7gb haha

but honestly so far the game is amazing. Up to chapter 3 and love so much of what I have played.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019

Dumb question, but what is the installed icon for the game? I'm assuming it's just the logo but hoping they used that great boxart instead.

Thanks!

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for next week. Let's mosey.

Wong Kar Why

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
insanely hyped to play this. cancelled my amazon order to order from Best Buy. Hopefully that'll ship on time!

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017

Good to know! Thanks.

Going to move some games off my external drive to make sure I have room.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
The wait is killing me, my Amazon says it won't be delivered until the 16th and obviously all the local haunts are shut.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Stopped a bit into chapter 3. Been enjoying it a lot, outside of not liking Sephiroth's English VA :( They do a bunch of simple and very satisfying things with the combat (introduce you to riot shield enemies you have to outmanoeuvre and attack from behind, before pulling a miniboss where that doesn't work and having you figure out what to do).

For anyone that cares, Jun Akiyama doesn't seem to be involved (I was curious for a while), so he's probably on the Yoshida department game?

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Stopped a bit into chapter 3. Been enjoying it a lot, outside of not liking Sephiroth's English VA :(

For anyone that cares, Jun Akiyama doesn't seem to be involved (I was curious for a while), so he's probably on the Yoshida department game?

Can you confirm if anything changed from the demo?

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Can't believe we're here.
I can feel my tears slowly building up in the back.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Also very, very happy with how Cloud is presented so far. Really nice dynamic of half-trying to be sincere and nice in response to people, before giving up and being a dick after it doesn't come out right.