What party member are you looking forward to playing as the most?

• Cloud

Votes: 230 18.8%
  • Barrett

Votes: 48 3.9%
  • Tifa

Votes: 308 25.1%
  • Aerith

Votes: 55 4.5%
  • Red XIII

Votes: 217 17.7%
  • Yuffie

Votes: 207 16.9%
  • Cait Sith

Votes: 161 13.1%

• Total voters

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Even after hearing Genesis ramble on in Crisis Core, even after seeing the play acted out…. I still couldn't tell you the point of LOVELESS

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
So for y'all doing hard mode runs what have been your walls so far?

Jenova Emergent and Dyne have been the two roadblocks for me so far. Honestly really lucked out in my Dyne fight.
These are the ones that took me the most tries so far:

Mythril Golem
Roche
Jenova Emergent
Gi Nattak - the worst for me so far

I was worried about Vincent, but after a couple tries I got it down pretty easy, just whaled on him and kept everyone healed up.

Last edited:

Cartwynd

Shinra Employee
Sep 14, 2023
There's also the whole "seminar" they have you go to, which sounded like it was supposed to be some kind of intellectual teaching classroom or something, but it turns out to be a self-help support group session instead, made no sense at all.

Maybe i'm misunderstanding your objection, but the point of all of this is to (discussion of up through chapter 10) demonstrate all the different ways people resist Shinra. You saw it too in the "anarchist commune Nest" area or whatever it was called in Junon. Characters there kept speaking of non-violent resistance, sitting around getting high, teaching their own history to their children that presumably Shinra tries to prevent in Junon proper. Cosmo Canyon is the establishment version of that. All of this is designed to put our own heroes radicalism (and self doubting radicalism of Tifa) in contrast with the rest of the world. They are outsiders even in the place they hoped would embrace them. Ultimately I would argue this is all to establish that the crisis of the planet requires more action. Action that only our heroes are willing to take, but up to that point some on the team were maybe questioning. Bugenhagen is a prime example of that. Someone who has lived long enough to think he has the answers. In most cases he is probably right about the planet, but because of his age he fails to see the moment calls for something different which he acknowledges eventually.

I loved this shit.

Last edited:

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I wasn't even following a guide and must of screwed up somewhere. I was carefully curating my responses for each conversation throughout each chapter to make sure I earned the most points for Tifa and somehow ended up getting Red XIII as my partner for the first visit at the Gold Saucer.

Maybe it's because I keep him in my party at every possible opportunity. I may have to intentionally screw up the next conversation with Red XIII just to change the score in Tifa's favor, but Red's such a good boy I don't want to disappoint him ever.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a bit frustrating for me how the game will either tell you exactly what you need to do in excruciating detail or won't tell you shit until you've done it wrong a couple times.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of in love. 😅

1YVzSSS.png

Her deadpan delivery is great. I almost forgot to go back here too for the GS points stuff!

Elster

Jun 6, 2021
Kind of in love. 😅

1YVzSSS.png

Her deadpan delivery is great. I almost forgot to go back here too for the GS points stuff!
She's so cutesy to me!
Even after hearing Genesis ramble on in Crisis Core, even after seeing the play acted out…. I still couldn't tell you the point of LOVELESS
IIRC
I think that's kinda the joke or point if im not misremembering loveless was originally a poem, but most of the major parts of it are missing so its been adapted over and over into different forms, Genesis might be the only person who knows the entire actual text. I think the implication was it was about Minerva but its been changed so much its a fantastical stage play now.

Hurray! Good to know thanks, I felt like it but I wasn't 100% sure

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
His constantly blank expressions and "uh um uh" grows real tiring. It's right next to every female character doing that God damned double fist pump curtsy thing on the list of things that annoy me. That and Chadley
Hm.. Interesting take, I really don't find him blank and tiring in this one and played all of them.. I actually find this Cloud such a step up.. For me Remake and Rebirth really nail his character, a lot

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Everytime they talk about LOVELESS it just makes it seem more like a broad retelling of FF4.

Not gonnan lie, when Tifa showed up in mine as "Rosa" I got the same feeling. "Broad" is definitely the term I'd use though. Very very loose adaptation lol

When do you run into Kyrie again? I miss her.

Unfortunately, At the end of Chapter 12/beginning of Chapter 13, she finally makes it to Costa Del Sol to continue her mercenary gig. Guess it took that long to get a boat ride

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Not gonnan lie, when Tifa showed up in mine as "Rosa" I got the same feeling. "Broad" is definitely the term I'd use though. Very very loose adaptation lol

Unfortunately, At the end of Chapter 12/beginning of Chapter 13, she finally makes it to Costa Del Sol to continue her mercenary gig. Guess it took that long to get a boat ride
Jesus lol. That reminds me, I intend to just focus on the main quest this weekend and leave the side stuff for the weekday where I have less time to play typically. Is there a point of no return where you can freely go anywhere before the final battle? Or at least a save I can keep right before the final battle?

blainethemono

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of in love. 😅

1YVzSSS.png

one little thing i noticed is you don't have to go back to each individual vendor in every area, you can go to whichever one and hit L2/R2 (i think, says it on the bottom left somewhere) to switch between all the different ones

Also works for Chadley. I realized this far too late

Elster

Jun 6, 2021
Jesus lol. That reminds me, I intend to just focus on the main quest this weekend and leave the side stuff for the weekday where I have less time to play typically. Is there a point of no return where you can freely go anywhere before the final battle? Or at least a save I can keep right before the final battle?
Theres a pretty well telegraphed point of no return but the post game is also very well made and gives a large exp/ap bonus for doing stuff

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019

Supposedly there's a big sign posting right before the Point of No Return. According to what others have said, I haven't hit it yet as far as I'm aware with starting Chapter 13. I think it happens somewhere in the middle of it...

Elster

Jun 6, 2021
So you can freely travel around the world in the post game kinda like Yakuza's Premium Adventure?
Yes it works almost exactly like that, you can freely choose chapters and even re-try quests if you like. Its not like Premium Adventure in that theres a post-game state though you have to pick a chapter but the last two chapters give you free reign of the entire map
I wish I'd know that before farming for like 5 hours. Game seems to be designed for post-game activities.
I think it wants you do do intel and stuff as you play but yeah exp/ap farming it def wants you to do in the post

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Kind of in love. 😅

1YVzSSS.png

Make sure to look out for her outside of Gold Saucer lol.

Everytime Rude is on screen I have to sing this song and I am sure Elena would like it too

www.youtube.com

MAGIC! - Rude (Official Video)

“Don’t Kill the Magic”, the debut album from MAGIC!, Available Now on iTunes: http://smarturl.it/DKTMiTunes?IQid=yt Follow Magic! Website http://www.ourname...
Damn, this hits me in the nostalgia feels.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Yes it works almost exactly like that, you can freely choose chapters and even re-try quests if you like. Its not like Premium Adventure in that theres a post-game state though you have to pick a chapter but the last two chapters give you free reign of the entire map

I think it wants you do do intel and stuff as you play but yeah exp/ap farming it def wants you to do in the post
Ah perfect. So I can just choose one of the last chapters if anything and then just do all the stuff I skipped. If I don't beat at least the main story before Dragon's Dogma 2, I'll shelf this for who knows how long.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I have this Elemental Materia y'all are talking about but I feel like I should
One of the best in the original, one of the best here. Putting it on a weapon adds the linked element to your damage and putting it on armor can negate or absorb damage of the linked element.

They're from sidequests, there's 2. They also work with the double materias that Chadley gives.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
one little thing i noticed is you don't have to go back to each individual vendor in every area, you can go to whichever one and hit L2/R2 (i think, says it on the bottom left somewhere) to switch between all the different ones

Also works for Chadley. I realized this far too late
WHAT? I did know that about Chadley, but thought all the vendor locations were discrete. Too late now, but it'll help if I decide to get some extra consumables later. 😅

noakai

Jan 22, 2019
I wasn't even following a guide and must of screwed up somewhere. I was carefully curating my responses for each conversation throughout each chapter to make sure I earned the most points for Tifa and somehow ended up getting Red XIII as my partner for the first visit at the Gold Saucer.

Maybe it's because I keep him in my party at every possible opportunity. I may have to intentionally screw up the next conversation with Red XIII just to change the score in Tifa's favor, but Red's such a good boy I don't want to disappoint him ever.

The first time you go is just a relationship check, it doesn't like "lock in" that person so you automatically get them when the second visit (and actual date) happens. I got Tifa for the first visit but Red for the second (on purpose, I wanted Red). But once you finish the game and look at the play log, it lets you know that the game keeps track of multiple things when it comes to relationships - conversations, odd jobs, synergy skills & abilities and then story beats.

For story beats, everyone has Costa del Sol Beach Fight Partner, Gold Saucer Welcome Brawl with Dio, Loveless and Skywheel Date but then they have unique story beats too - Red has Shinra-8's Queen's Blood Tournament and Gold Saucer Queen's Blood Rematch; Barrett has Corel Minecart Route & Score and Corel Prison Buggy Escape; Tifa and Aerith have Inauguration Parade and Same Taste In Beachwear. Yuffie has only 4 beats, Loveless & Skywheel and then Corel Minecart and 3D Brawler Match.

So stuff like unlocking the synergy skills and using synergy abilities for the first time can affect the relationship scores and the stuff that happens at Costa Del Sol is also important because who you choose to help during the beach fight and how Cloud reacts to the beachwear (same taste in beachwear means that Cloud wears the same "type" of beachwear as Aerith and Tifa, so if they are less covered then Cloud is shirtless and if they're more covered then Cloud is in the shorts+shirt). I believe odd jobs are all those sidequests where only one character is with you and then after it's over you get "your relationship with X has changed." If you've completed a lot of Red sidequests and use him in battle all the time it's easy for him to end up ahead no matter how many conversations you've had with Tifa or Aerith.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Performance/anti-scary lighting patch when? 😂 Lower LoD models + darker environments = nightmare fuel.

9EUzPgt.png

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
nauur, Roche... why the hell did he let Hojo do that to him
This killed me. Roche was genuinely my favorite character from Remake. A lot of people didnt like him because he didn't quite fit the tone. In Rebirth though he absolutely fits the tone of the rest of the game and it was such a bummer he got cloaked. Such a good sad moment.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Random FF7 thought of the day:

I don't know if I love how campy it is or just outright hate it, but shoutout to FF7 for being one of the remaining pieces of entertainment to go all in on the "evil people doing the maniacal laugh" trope lol.

To be fair, I haven't played a ton of JRPGs recently, so maybe it's still a thing elsewhere.