• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 1, 2017
As someone who has played all the games in their original forms, along with the various re-releases over the years, this is fine. They would have to do something at least slightly different to get me interested in playing them again, and adjusting them all to have this more consistent style will be interesting.

The only thing that bothers me is the non-pixel art menus and fonts. It always bothers me when different elements of a pixel art game has different resolutions. It probably makes it easier to deal with localization and the different resolutions/aspect ratios of mobile though.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
They look great but I just have two critiques:

1. The character sprites are too small on both the overworld and battle scenes
2. They missed a golden opportunity to make the sprites of FFV match the Amano artwork :( I want flowing coat Faris and Amano Lenna!

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope that FF1 has Origins' balance; it was perfect. The GBA and PSP rereleases completely neutered the game. I also hope that FF4 has better balance than the GBA or PSP releases. The DS version's was perfect, but I don't think it could be transposed 1:1.

SpoonyGundam

Nov 18, 2018
The GBA version did have Ethers though. They could bring back the charge system, but keep Ethers. And this version of the game is based on the GBA version, both in terms of the non-character sprite work and translation.

I'm not saying for definite either way, but simply not having an MP pool is not enough to suggest the bonus content isn't in. And as these are based on the GBA versions, they'd have to be actively removing the content. They've most likely brought back spell charges to make a version of the game a little truer to the original.

That said, the fact that they've not shown the GBA jobs for FFV is really worrying.
I don't agree that this game is based on the GBA version at all. The enemy sprites and additional cutscenes were all derived from the WSC/PS1 versions, so the GBA version is mainly defined by its mechanical differences. One of the most significant ones being MP. Plus there's a reason why they've been comparing footage of the remaster to the original version and not the GBA one.

My understanding of the purpose of these remasters is to update the originals with graphics adapted to suit modern screens while still trying to respect each game's distinct visual identity, but with the core game otherwise changed as little as possible. They're remasters, not remakes. The name inherently implies they aren't doing anything that would wildly change the game. It's why spell charges are back, why all the new party member sprites are obviously based on the originals, and why Garland's palette was changed to more closely resemble his original look.

It's not totally clear just how closely they'll stick to the original gameplay at the moment, but I'm hoping they'll do a bit of QoL stuff and just leave all the (non-catastrophic) bugs and quirks and such intact. For example, Intelligence doesn't affect spells in the NES/FC/WSC/PS1 versions of FFI at all. And I think they should keep it that way here, because FFI with functional Intelligence is a very different game from the one people have been playing for 35 years, and would require significant rebalancing to work right. I don't really trust them to do that very well at all, and mages are still fine even with busted Int anyway.

(Also I thought all the GBA bonus content for these games pretty well sucked, so missing it does not worry me at all even though FFV is my favorite game.)

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it doesnt look like a bad way to play the games, but idk if i would say its the best edition of the games yet

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know which one of these I'd actually get. I've played four to death and I can't imagine this playing better than the DS/Mobile/PC release. Five is always good for a replay, but IMO I want a more extensive update that adds difficulty levels. Most FF games (and JRPGs in general) have difficulty levels but all of these older ones have a one-size fits all approach.

FF6 could be great, but it is likely the farthest away as this video looks like it has placeholder sprites from the previous versions (Biggs and Wedge are the only two battle sprites of the like 50 we've seen that are pixel-for-pixel the OG version).

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope that FF1 has Origins' balance; it was perfect. The GBA and PSP rereleases completely neutered the game. I also hope that FF4 has better balance than the GBA or PSP releases. The DS version's was perfect, but I don't think it could be transposed 1:1.
The Japanese version of FF4 was pretty well-balanced, not exactly as hard as the DS one but neither the cakewalk that the american SNES / PSP version used to be. If they hit that spot it should be good.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
still think Terra looks a little too bright but the VI makeover seems Decent Enough overall

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I doubt you'd need a 'gaming' laptop/pc to play these.
I have a laptop that's almost 10 years old but it takes ages to boot so I don't bother turning it on. PC broke a couple of years ago and I hardly used it so I didn't replaced it.

I do have a phone but that has trouble running pokemon Go

Games like these I much rather play on a regular console.

Oct 25, 2017
Can I get HD2D remakes of these games? I do like the updated cliff overhang in Narsche.

Just one 2DHD version is probably more budget than the six of these combined, and SE currently has four 2DHD games in development so I imagine there's a backlog for that. I can't imagine more than 1 or 2 more beyond what we know to really be in pre-production or very early development.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
I think it would look better if they kept the scale of the scene and added lights to the darkness, like how it looks as they approach it from the snowfield. Remember, that happens AFTER they scout Narshe from the cliffs:
t1K66rz.png

Still, looks a million times better than:
e9uTGAB.png

We're finally moving away from this, we do not need to keep looking at this, can we please all collective forget this happeneed?

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing more of these and I like it. The games all seem easily identifiable to me as 16 bit games. If I didn't compare the graphics directly I'd have a hard time specifying what's been changed. I hope we get a collection for consoles in the future, but I may pick up a few of these on my phone.

Jan 11, 2018
I wouldn't count on the extra content from previous remakes/ports making the cut. First game has no MP and additional jobs from the GBA version of FFV seem to be missing. So they're going for a more accurate representation of the original source material here I think.

Either way, looks really good to me.

Now, the real question is what will they do with the music? Original scores + Arrange option?

The Japanese version of FF4 was pretty well-balanced, not exactly as hard as the DS one but neither the cakewalk that the american SNES / PSP version used to be. If they hit that spot it should be good.

You can play that version in English on PS1, btw.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
I found most of the extra content in the GBA era to be superfluous in the extreme. Kain's extra dungeon and the storytelling surrounding it was very good, but it was a serious outlier

That said I don't expect these releases to have any of the cruft

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
caught this info 'leak' about the platform/release dates back when the E3 trailer came out but it's from 4chan so grain of salt etc.
X5df4au.png

nothing too crazy, even that the first game releasing next month could've been a good guess, but if it is FF1 and the rest follow in this release schedule/order there might be some truth to it.

Would rather them go in chronological order. Would be fun to play through that way.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There is seriously zero chance these don't come to console. The worst case is that it's not until the whole collection is done, which is pretty stupid. But, still, it will come. There should be no doubt that square wants to sell you final fantasy games again.

Oct 25, 2017
I found most of the extra content in the GBA era to be superfluous in the extreme. Kain's extra dungeon and the storytelling surrounding it was very good, but it was a serious outlier

That said I don't expect these releases to have any of the cruft

Party switching in FF4 is the best of the additional content, IMO, and it would be a shame if that didn't make the cut. That feature became standard for both the Feature Phone and PSP releases, so it has been in more of the versions than not having it by now (OG and DS lacked it, GBA/PSP/Feature Phone did).

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
caught this info 'leak' about the platform/release dates back when the E3 trailer came out but it's from 4chan so grain of salt etc.
X5df4au.png

nothing too crazy, even that the first game releasing next month could've been a good guess, but if it is FF1 and the rest follow in this release schedule/order there might be some truth to it.
This makes total sense, I had a feeling this was the case with the original announcement.... that this was basically "Early Access" hence the platforms

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
There is seriously zero chance these don't come to console. The worst case is that it's not until the whole collection is done, which is pretty stupid. But, still, it will come. There should be no doubt that square wants to sell you final fantasy games again.

I wish they would release Chrono trigger to consoles too

Would buy them on PS4 and Switch (even though I have them on pretty much every other platform it's on lol)

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Party switching in FF4 is the best of the additional content, IMO, and it would be a shame if that didn't make the cut. That feature became standard for both the Feature Phone and PSP releases, so it has been in more of the versions than not having it by now (OG and DS lacked it, GBA/PSP/Feature Phone did).
Could you remind me of what the party switching entailed?

Oct 25, 2017
I wish they would release Chrono trigger to consoles too

Would buy them on PS4 and Switch (even though I have them on pretty much every other platform it's on lol)

Chrono Trigger is the one game out of their big 5 franchises that is almost certainly going to get a more substantial version at some point. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Square Enix's actions for the last few years regarding ports make a bit more sense now that we know that a full pixel remake series was coming.

Could you remind me of what the party switching entailed?

In the final chapter of FF4, you could swap party members. So you could use Edward, Yang, and the Twins in your party. OG PSX did not have that, GBA did, PSP did, i-mode did (which is not a direct port of any existing version), and DS/Mobile did not.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
In the final chapter of FF4, you could swap party members. So you could use Edward, Yang, and the Twins in your party. OG PSX did not have that, GBA did, PSP did, i-mode did (which is not a direct port of any existing version), and DS/Mobile did not.
I dunno! That just wasn't much of a thing for me, and I don't expect it would be going forward. Similarly I don't expect the DS system of passing on special abilities to be brought over either, and I enjoyed the way you could break the game using those

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty excited by these. And I actually kind of like that they're spacing out the releases. That will probably make me play them all, whereas dumping them all at once would have made me skip most of them. This will be fun to have an OT for each one as they come out, etc.

I think I'll do my usual Fighter/White/Black/Red for FF1. Sometimes I go Thief in that last spot. I'm looking forward to this!

Deleted member 81119

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Yeah I'm still pretty confident about the bonus content coming across. Even the mobile ports had that stuff.

I think us not seeing the FFV bonus sprites is just because they're not finished yet. They don't seem to have even finished the adult Rydia sprites.

We'll see in a month though!

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
For people criticizing the brightness, I think it's fair not to like it but I really do think it's intentional as has been said in past threads.
F3HX0n8.png

I added the new pixels to this one comparison by that CRT twitter you can see stuff like Terra's hair, pauldron etc. were made brighter when seen through a crt and I believe they're trying to replicate that look rather than go with the emulated raw pixel style which we're used to seeing.
What exactly is the thought process behind removing the curvature in Locke's bandana providing a sense of depth, and replacing it with a straight, flat line.

Oct 25, 2017
What exactly is the thought process behind removing the curvature in Locke's bandana providing a sense of depth, and replacing it with a straight, flat line.
The top of his hair is totally flat because the curve of the bandanna required having hair above it while also not exceeding 24 pixels. The new art feels less squished for a few reasons, that being one of them.

Deleted member 18179

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What platforms are these coming out on? I'm super amped to play this on PS5 or Switch, on a couch, like old times.

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
have you tried navigating the pirate cave with diagonal movement in FFV mobile? Its fucking awful. And that is the FIRST CAVE IN THE GAME!

Based on FFV, these tilesets/dungeon layouts were designed around four directional movement, and you will hit invisible barriers more often using 8 directional movement, which is annoying

EDIT: Sorry for the double post. I actually like Sabin/Mash's new sprite, and Celes and setzer look better than I expected. Still disappointed with Terra's Hair and Locke's coat.

and I don't know how I feel about edgar.

JoshuaJSlone

Dec 27, 2017
Indiana
So... Squenix. Y'all will kick 7, 8, 9, X, X-2, and XII to Switch, but not. These?
In 2017 I was complaining that the FFXII remaster wasn't coming to Switch. Then it did. The only one of those that wasn't a late arrival was VIII Remastered.
And selling them separately?
I mean, they're big games, and I don't think any more than two of them have ever been bundled together. Expecting heavily reworked versions of six games all to be sold for one low price is a bit of a pipe dream.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
X5df4au.png

Oh this is new info to me!
Thanks.

Deleted member 81119

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
have you tried navigating the pirate cave with diagonal movement in FFV mobile? Its fucking awful. And that is the FIRST CAVE IN THE GAME!

Based on FFV, these tilesets/dungeon layouts were designed around four directional movement, and you will hit invisible barriers more often using 8 directional movement, which is annoying

EDIT: Sorry for the double post. I actually like Sabin/Mash's new sprite, and Celes and setzer look better than I expected. Still disappointed with Terra's Hair and Locke's coat.

and I don't know how I feel about edgar.
FFV is 360 movement though.