Advent Children

• Liked it

Votes: 397 66.3%
  • Didn’t like it

Votes: 202 33.7%

• Total voters
Oct 30, 2017
The original release was cool but a bit disappointing for me because it was too much one fight after the another.

The Complete release IS MUCH BETTER and this how the original release is supposed to be like.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
It's silly and not enough Yuffie, but it was enjoyable for what it was. I've also never found Cloud or Sephiroth all that compelling.

StarStorm

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it. Great fight scenes. All the money went into the fight scenes. Plot was lackluster.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It's not good. Way too much time focused on those kids and most of the OG party doesn't do anything until the third act. Enabled a lot of the worst tendencies in the greater FF7 universe going forward. Very much an example of Square-Enix constantly chasing the dragon on tech while ignoring the story and characters.

For a frame of reference I have no real nostalgia for FF7, I played the game in college and then watched AC Complete right after and came away feeling the way I do.

Some nice music though. Probably my favorite version of OWA:

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Kinda shallow but for what it is I enjoyed it immensely. For a product of its time it's amazing. We never had a CG video game movie like this before, and FF7's only representation at the time was the original lego characters, so both in seeing it in such high fidelity and in returning to that world, it was a major, MAJOR event.

The action and soundtrack are awesome, too.

The story? Eh, so-so sequel. It's like a brief epilogue/addendum to the main game, and when I view it that way, I like it.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I enjoyed it. Didn't play the game so I wasn't that familiar with the characters, but the fights and music were pretty cool.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite movie based on a videogame. It's what got me into FFVII.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
It was ok. Felt it was the movie square should have made originally instead of Spirits. Fights were cool along with the visuals. Story was boring.
In some parallel universe a version of this released as Square's movie debut and kicks off a long running film franchise.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
My friend sat me down for it years and years before I actually played through FFVII and I had no idea what I was watching.

I watched it again after my belated playthrough and still had no idea what I watched.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
When I watched this movie, the only thing I knew about FF7 was that there was a character named Cloud who had a huge sword.

I ended up really enjoying the movie, especially the fight scenes. Almost picked it up in 4K last week.

Edit: Oh hey, looks like spirits within is on sale too...

Last edited:

Worldres

Mar 30, 2019
I absolutely loved it when it came out, because I was a teenager at the time, and my taste in media hadn't matured.

In retrospect, it's pretty bad. I haven't watched it in awhile, so it is probably great fun at best. At worst, it completely undermines the message of the original. Barret becoming an advocate for burning oil... Holy smokes does that frustrate me. Nomura just doesn't understand the characters, at least in this movie.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
It was nice to see the world of FFVII with high definition visuals (even if it was way less vibrant and colorful), I love Cloud's AC design, the Sephiroth duel was cool, and the soundtrack was super badass.

Overall a very passable film but I enjoyed it for the things stated above.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Really? I thought Cloud was pretty cool in the original game. His Advent Children self is completely different though.
The stuff surrounding him right down to the events is interesting, I just don't find Cloud himself all that exciting. Even at the time I never thought he was all that interesting even though the rest of the cast was far more interesting. Time hasn't really changed that. Them turning him into Sad Boi is really really not helping.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I get why folks are saying they like it while also stating its garbage but I can't do that with this.
turned cloud into a completely different guy both in the movie and also in everyone's imagination, culturally.

Accurate. I didn't finish FFVIIR but it felt like the devs realized this and made Cloud, if not less stoic/standoffish, at least more fun. The dancing mini game and crossdressing sections were probably my favorite part.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sorta the point where VII-related media started going in the wrong direction lol

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
As a teen I liked it it. It was the first torrent I ever downloaded and I watched it with Subtitles. Later on I imported the Cloudy Wolf PS3 and got Advent Children Complete and then I Loved It!!! Remake further made me appreciate it more as well!

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Messy and pretty shallow, but I still enjoy it. I can turn my brain off and watch cool characters do cool shit, and that's fine with me.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
as a young kid back then i didn't understand anything, hated the whole depressing vibe and color sheme of the movie.
the fights were cool tough.

never watched the movie again and honestly not really keen to do so

Altezein

User requested ban - Corrupted by Vengeance
Banned
Mar 21, 2021
Buenos Aires, Argentina
As a teenager I loved it. Watched it again before FF7R and realized it's a pretty bad movie. Of course, action and music are great, but characters and storytelling are not. Good thing FF7R really improved on those aspects.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I loved it at the time.
It was a CG movie based on a videogame. It was pretty rare back then (was it the first one, even?).
I thought it was brilliant just for that reason alone.

Oct 26, 2017
I liked it. People were down on Cloud, but he never really got a chance in OG to get over Aerith's death so I enjoyed what they were going for even if the execution could have been better.

It's a shame Remake had worse VA than Advent Children.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
They throw out the established characterisation of basically everyone in the movie. Cloud is a sad boy, Aerith is a princess, etc etc. I was so releived when VIIR didn't follow that.

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
I unironically love it. I loved it when it came out. Over the years I eventually saw the Complete Edition. Loved it more (Cloud Vs Sephiroth gets BRUTAL in CE). Can't wait to eventually PLAY some of it once Ever Crisis gets to that section!

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think at the time my expectations were so low and it seemed like such a left field kinda thing that I was just happy to watch it.

Most of the character design changes I thought were silly though.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Was amazing. Actually kind of garb in some aspects but the party and Vincent and Rufus were cool. I remember downloading a pirated copy with awful subtitles the day it came out and watching with people in an IRC channel.

Will never forget Sephiroth's line, "I will not become memoly...."

Nov 13, 2017
Liked it a whole lot, especially Advent Children Complete.

I'm not a fan of how it's being (likely) integrated into Remake, but oh well.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
It's pure garbage. It was the film a bunch of people who never played VII loved and misunderstood most of the history and personalities of characters. Aerith basically got written like complete shit until Remake finally fixed it. I also blame it for the creation of Crisis Core which is so embarassingly bad it shocks me there is people who like it.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Was somewhere between liking it and meh. The visuals were pretty amazing for the time. The action was great. The script and plot were terrible.

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
one of the worst films ever made

responsible for the heinous compilation and making Zack into the Forest Gump of this franchise and 70% of today's FF VII fans who never played the original