• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you going to try the Free Trial?

• Yes

Votes: 261 40.4%
  • No

Votes: 221 34.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 180 27.9%

• Total voters

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Daily shameless plug that we have a cross world Linkshell going for the Primal data center if anyone wants to join. It was made to accommodate people who aren't on Ultros or are otherwise unable to join the FC but wanted to.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
I'm thinking about the game now. If this opinion helps anyone: raids, trials, and story were my favorite thing about FFXIV.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Daily shameless plug that we have a cross world Linkshell going for the Primal data center if anyone wants to join. It was made to accommodate people who aren't on Ultros or are otherwise unable to join the FC but wanted to.

Is there a normal Linkshell for people who are on Ultros?

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
1)For your first question go to character configuration ->Hotbar settings-> Cross and it should be in the section that says Cross Hotbar Controls.
2)I don't really how to help you on this one, but it might be referring to adding extra cross hotbars?
3)I think you are referring to the Cross Hotbar, in which case it's in HUD layout->Cross Hotbar->UI Element Settings and you should be able to adjust the size in the button that shows 100%.

Thanks! It was kind of hard to find all those elements

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's up to you, but I will say that crafting early has a lot of benefits, particularly when it comes to upgrading your gear and unlocking all sorts of cool stuff.

Certain crafts and gathering jobs go well together too. If you wanna be a weaver, botany and mining will come in handy. If you wanna explore carpentry, definitely be a botanist too, etc.

I see. Since I'm probably sticking with being a puglist, I should look into becoming a leatherworker and/or blacksmith, and then complement any blacksmithing with mining. Should I get at least 1 of the 3 gathering jobs as well?

CrazyAznKT

Nov 8, 2017
Wish I could, but I've already bought the game and linked it to my PSN and SE accounts and probably even paid for a month in the past. Never got really far so I'm bummed I can't get in on this free stuff.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
Free trial sucked me back in, hadn't played since it's release on PC. Biggest issue is the UI and the ps4 controller. Targeting mobs, especially during chaotic boss fights is rough sometimes impossible, and honestly, I haven't even figured out how to say anything in chat yet lol. Finished the main quest line and have started to do hard dungeons and primals but I think I need keyboard and mouse to avoid becoming a liability.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
What is the best way to fix the crazy flickering trees and ground textures on PC with an Nvidia card?

TheOther

Jan 10, 2019
Texas
Free trial sucked me back in, hadn't played since it's release on PC. Biggest issue is the UI and the ps4 controller. Targeting mobs, especially during chaotic boss fights is rough sometimes impossible, and honestly, I haven't even figured out how to say anything in chat yet lol. Finished the main quest line and have started to do hard dungeons and primals but I think I need keyboard and mouse to avoid becoming a liability.
I ended up using a keyboard to chat.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Look up a controller tutorial. The entire game is more than manageable with a controller and there is a ton of helpful tips and tricks to make controller great and sometimes even better than kbm. Also everything about the UI is customizable so don't be afraid to fiddle with it. Bunch of tutorials for that as well to make the most of it.

Karthane

Mar 20, 2018
I got a little into heavensward and had to stop about a year ago because I got caught up with other things. I'm guessing there is no way to start over at the beginning of heavensward content, is there?

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I got a little into heavensward and had to stop about a year ago because I got caught up with other things. I'm guessing there is no way to start over at the beginning of heavensward content, is there?
No but you can view cutscenes leading up to the point you're at in the story via a journal in an inn.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm currently playing on my desktop with an AMD GPU, but my majority of playtime was on my laptop with a 1660 ti, and I haven't had flickering issues.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
I think this might be it. I redownloaded from my library because it wouldn't let me download from the store. Elite49 let me know what they say because I may need them to unlink mine as well. Thanks!

Tagging J-Skee since they wanted to know how it went but it looks like you can't unlink an account that's ever been used on a "purchased" copy.

We apologize for the confusion and inconvenience. It appears the account in question does not qualify for a SEN unlink. A PSN unlink can only be performed if the account is a Free Trial or Beta. Unfortunately, since this account has the full game registered to it already, the link cannot be taken off.

Looks like I'll just use my other account.

Mr. Keith

Oct 31, 2017
So I've been itching to play this all week but I'm not really impressed with most of the starting classes I've tried.
Which starter is generally the most interesting?

I really want to get to the more advanced stuff as quick as possible.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Tagging J-Skee since they wanted to know how it went but it looks like you can't unlink an account that's ever been used on a "purchased" copy.
Yeah, I did more research about it & it's a bummer. I really don't want to use another PSN account, so I'll just wait until Shadowbringers is on sale & use the free 30 days that comes with. Thank you for letting me know!

Siyou

Oct 27, 2017
I put in about 24 hours total, and the game really feels like it's doing everything in its power to waste my time. The mandatory tutorial is a bit much for me. Although the game looks good, I think the early game is not my cup of tea in the slightest.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I put in about 24 hours total, and the game really feels like it's doing everything in its power to waste my time. The mandatory tutorial is a bit much for me. Although the game looks good, I think the early game is not my cup of tea in the slightest.
Where are you at in the story and level wise?

BigAT

Oct 30, 2017
Is the introductory cutscene a retelling of the events of Realm Reborn or was that always the intro?

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Is the introductory cutscene a retelling of the events of Realm Reborn or was that always the intro?

Original (2.0) CS was the ending CS of 1.0 (the big battle with the meteor falling and Bahamut)
3.0 CS was major spoilers for the ending of 2.5
4.0 CS was just a nice fight and then some stuff then a fly over to fake japan and some stuff.
5.0 is the really cool one with the Warrior of Light cycling his jobs as he's lost and confused and ends with hi being a badass dark knight and splitting the sky.

I THINK with the free trial is technically means you own Heavensward which means it gives you that title screen and opening movie, which IMHO is stupid because of how the HW opening is a recap of what forces the player into Ishgard and that is big spoilers.

You can change the title screen/attract mode movie in the menu now, but it only applies for that login before resetting. So just a way to watch the other openings.

Alex2DX

Nov 6, 2017
I wanna come back again...but the thought of relearning how to competently play my Bard and Astrologian scares me. I forgot everything.

Pierogi Mage

One Winged Slayer
Dec 7, 2017
I switched to controller from M+KB, and i do current level raids just fine.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
I remember seeing all the memes about going back and forth between the walking sands, I dropped the previous trial right before you start doing all that and man, those memes weren't kidding. So much teleporting around.

Siyou

Oct 27, 2017
Did you make a character on a preferred server? Had a friend start last week and he got to Lv 55 beating the base game in about 25 hours.
my fiance and I were trying it out, and it was a double xp server. I picked it back up after a year in anticipation for the free trial expansion, but it's just not my thing. Glad your friend enjoyed it enough to get through the content in a day's time. That's not my life.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
What is the best way to fix the crazy flickering trees and ground textures on PC with an Nvidia card?

Can you post a clip of what you mean?

The only flickering I've ever seen is during storms and that's to showcase a lighting change due to lightning. I'm on a GTX 750 Ti too.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Can you post a clip of what you mean?

The only flickering I've ever seen is during storms and that's to showcase a lighting change due to lightning. I'm on a GTX 750 Ti too.
There's a lot of flickering shadows issues since the launch of the game. Only fix I found is HBAO+ on highest setting which is a big performance hog.

edit: not sure what they mean by the textures/trees though

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
These ARR postgame patches are still absolutely ridiculous. I have been playing for hours upon hours and I'm still not through them. I stopped in annoyance this evening after I discovered I'd need to re-do three trials in Hard Mode before I can continue the MSQ.

The story is at least starting to pick up a little, but there is an unforgivable amount of backtracking and pointless 'go here, talk to this one dude who has one line, go there, another line, go there, now back again, cutscene, leading to another cutscene.'

It's dull, really dull, and I was really hoping this patch would have pruned a lot more of it than this. There's no exploration, no gameplay - even a few kill quests would liven it up a bit, it's just a dozen or more hours (SO FAR) of running and teleporting around, talking to NPCs and watching not massively interesting cut scenes.

I will stick with it, because of everything I've heard about how the game really hits it's stride in the expansions, but this pruning did NOT go far enough, at least for the ARR postgame quests.

SonicX_Zero

Oct 26, 2017
So I just created an account under SG for Free Trial, well you know SEA peasants lol , can I purchase the complete edition from the NA store and just use the code only when Im done with the trial? Or do I have to buy the complete edition from either JP or Aus/NZ store in asia?

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
I see. Since I'm probably sticking with being a puglist, I should look into becoming a leatherworker and/or blacksmith, and then complement any blacksmithing with mining. Should I get at least 1 of the 3 gathering jobs as well?
I recommend unlocking all the crafting and gathering class even if you're planning on focusing on only a few of them. The grand company has daily turn-ins where you give them the item they request for tons of exp and seals. This way you'll be leveling them all at once with minimal effort (if you don't want to craft/gather yourself, just buy them. HQ items also give you bonus exp) and can save and make tons of money by gathering and crafting everything by yourself instead of relying on the market board.

OP
OP
golguin

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
Is there a normal Linkshell for people who are on Ultros?
Something that should be noted, but do trial memberships have access to the housing areas? I'm assuming Era has an Free Company in Ultros. If that's the case you can go to the house area where everyone hangs out and does business .

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Something that should be noted, but do trial memberships have access to the housing areas? I'm assuming Era has an Free Company in Ultros. If that's the case you can go to the house area where everyone hangs out and does business .
They have access to the ARR housing areas. They'd probably also have access to Shirogane if they had a way to get there.

The problem is that the Era FC's house is in Shirogane, and they have no way to get there. They can't unlock Shirogane normally since they don't have Stormblood. They can't teleport directly there like anyone in the FC can (including those without Stormblood or who aren't there yet) because they aren't in the FC. They could probably teleport to a friend's house, but they're locked to that ward. There's really no way they could get to the Era FC house.

Even if they could though, while there are some people out front a lot of the time, they're still mostly talking in FC chat in order to talk to the many other people who aren't physically there

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I just unlocked levequets. Should I do them this early in the game or should I just beeline getting out of this early level stuff?

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
Is there a link to where they said this? I can't seem to find it.
It's from the live letter
https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/418702

13% of the MSQs are removed entirely while others have unncessary steps cut so they're harder to quantify.

So I just created an account under SG for Free Trial, well you know SEA peasants lol , can I purchase the complete edition from the NA store and just use the code only when Im done with the trial? Or do I have to buy the complete edition from either JP or Aus/NZ store in asia?
I think the game only has 3 versions: NA, EU, JP. I'm also from SEA and I'm pretty sure there are no Asia or Aus versions. Most people from Asia and Aus I know use NA version of the game and play on the JP datacenter. So check the region of your account by logging into the mogstation. You can also check the currency when you press buy in the account to make sure.

Last edited: