Do you like Revenge of the Sith?

• Yes. It made a fine addition to my collection

Votes: 197 52.4%
  • No. It's treason then

Votes: 102 27.1%
  • What about the droid attack on the Wookiees?

Votes: 77 20.5%

• Total voters

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

On May 19, 2005, George Lucas released Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. Accompanied by a marketing campaign triumphantly declaring it the final Star Wars film, ROTS was one of the big event movies of the 2000s.

Although the first two prequels had received a decidedly...mixed reception, ROTS was initially quite well-received. It had a Rotten Tomatoes score in the 80s, critics insisted it was the "Best One Since Empire," and fans were generally quite receptive to the movie's darker tone and resolution to the various lingering plot threads between the prequel and original trilogies.

In the following years, the film's reception became more muddled, especially following the now-famous series of RedLetterMedia reviews that insisted Episode III suffered from the same terrible writing and flat acting and directing that plagued the previous films. However, despite the continued negativity around the first two prequels, ROTS continued to have a somewhat warmer reception.

Within the last five or six years, other developments have improved ROTS in the public eye and among the fandom. People began to recognize ROTS -- and to a lesser extent, the other prequels -- as something of a modern camp classic, viewing the stilted or exaggerated dialogue as something amusing, helped in no small part by a scenery-devouring performance by Ian McDiarmid.

200.gif

As part of the burgeoning "Prequel Memes" community, nearly every line of dialogue in the film has become memetically mocked and embraced by the wider internet. Additionally, the highly acclaimed TV series Star Wars: The Clone Wars worked overtime to rehabilitate the prequels, and especially Episode III, providing much-needed characterization and background to Anakin's story that has helped improve the movie by association. And finally, the somewhat........polarized........response to the Disney-era films has resulted in a re-assessment of the prequels at large, with some coming to view them as having a quaint charm and a better appreciation for the worldbuilding and unique characters and designs that are absent from much of Disney's more sterile output.

So ERA...fifteen years later, what do we think of this masterpiece?

9fvr.gif

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
We went through all the movies with the kids last month and the prequels were even worse than I remembered. This was the best out of the three, but still awful.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
still not a fan. one of the big problems of the film is tone. it's kinda all over the place.

welcome back BDS

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Garbage movie
George Lucas a hack. Even went as far as ruining the original trilogy with his garbage edits.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Ian McDermaid and Ewan McGregor are the best actors of the prequel trilogy, they shined with the right amount of earnest campness and scenary chewing as expected for a space adventure with wizards wielding lazer swords.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I remember watching that with people in the theater and kind of being shocked people thought it was so good. There were some good aspects, but it was still so bad.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it then, and still like it now even with its bad acting and campy nature. Better than any of the sequel trilogy films for me.

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
My favorite of the prequels and better to me than RoS. Emperor Palpatine is a stud. I disliked the NOOOOOO part the most but enjoyed many parts of the movie.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, RotS was the best of the 3 piles of shit that were the prequels. At least they were memorable. The only thing I remember from the sequels is Super Leia in space cause I nearly died from laughter.

200.gif

But why ???

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely the best of the prequels. But that's the lowest bar imaginable. Hayden's Anakin is just unwatchable and really brings down the movie. Ewan McGregor does a great job holding it up though, even if his performance is also a bit goofy.

Menome

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
It was better than Episodes I + II.

This did not mean it was good.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still sucks after all these years.

As deadly serious as so many people tend to take the franchise (particularly the sequel trilogy), I am always surprised how frequently this one gets off the hook for turning some of the series' most weighty material into schlock nonsense.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
It's the best movie since Empire, but that's completely because ROTJ is mediocre and the sequels are garbage.

Taken in isolation, it's a 6/10. Not great, not terrible.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My own thoughts on this movie are that I think it's improved a good bit in my standings of the overall saga. Yes, the direction is flat and the plot is full of holes backed by weird characterization, but there's a lot of charm and color to it, even if we take the movie at face value and ignore the memes that have made it so much more fun to watch. I think Hayden is a lot better in this than in Episode II, although obviously he's still not great and that's probably because of the way George directs him. Every now and then I can almost see flashes of "Clone Wars Anakin" in him, like during the first act.

It's a great example of a movie where, on a technical level, it's not good, but I still get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Still a pile of elephant shit.

Was really hoping this wasn't another Star Wars thread, but here we are.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
GiantTediousCoyote-max-1mb.gif

It is cheesy as hell, and entertaining. But I always get a case of "what might have been?" feels when I watch it. There are a lot of good ideas there, their execution just really kind of stunk in places

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
It's the best of the prequels, but that's like saying "it's the good hepatitis".