• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I will never understand why players don't outright reject FIFA for not having a GaaS model but instead shell out 60 bucks year after year for sometimes nothing more than a roster update.

I could understand why CoD still sells every year, those are sometimes wildly different games after all (for the CoD series at least) but we're talking fucking football here. The game rules don't change overnight, there's no justification for a new entry every year.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Living as someone who doesn't like football in a country where football is king can be confusing.
Conversations can go like this:

So what games do you play?

Me: Everything except sports and racing games.

But then... what games do you play?!

Me: Japanese Role Playing Games.

Ó.ò

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Europeans rather kick balls than watch shrinking horse testicles confirmed.

FIFA is massively popular in Europe and had a headstart launching earlier than RDR2 and CoD, so I guess it's not that surprising.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Almost all the casuals who I know that buy fifa games all the years have never touched ultimate mode, mostly because they find the idea of wasting money to play the game stupid.

Opposite for me. Since 2011, ultimate team has been the main draw for fifa. Even people who hate football bought the game just so they could discuss it in class and talk in xbox party chat.

Now that we are adults ( well, 22) it has died down, but people have more disposable income and so get even more invested in it

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I will never understand why players don't outright reject FIFA for not having a GaaS model but instead shell out 60 bucks year after year for sometimes nothing more than a roster update.

I could understand why CoD still sells every year, those are sometimes wildly different games after all (for the CoD series at least) but we're talking fucking football here. The game rules don't change overnight, there's no justification for a new entry every year.

I don't play CoD, or any other fps, so I don't know about your comparison. But, despite not being a big FIFA fan, I play the game sometimes with friends and I can tell you the gameplay changes from one year to the next. Whether the changes are for the better is debatable, I prefer FIFA 16 gameplay myself but I'm a very casual player, I don't know what's the consensus opinion among people who really like the game.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't play CoD, or any other fps, so I don't know about your comparison. But, despite not being a big FIFA fan, I play the game sometimes with friends and I can tell you the gameplay changes from one year to the next. Whether the changes are for the better is debatable, I prefer FIFA 16 gameplay myself but I'm a very casual player, I don't know what's the consensus opinion among people who really like the game.

Of course there are technical advancements, but in this day and age I sincerly doubt it's anything that couldn't be done with a patch.

Oct 27, 2017
London
Not surprising, it's popular amongst many casual gamers here. Releasing every year for full price makes EA tons of money, much more than any DLC updates so that's why they keep doing it.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Europe showing it superior taste as always.
I'm so mad at myself for choosing RDR over FIFA this year : (

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Of course there are technical advancements, but in this day and age I sincerly doubt it's anything that couldn't be done with a patch.

I don't mean graphics improvement like a more realistic crowd or more accurate player faces. I mean changes to the physics, the game feels different from one version to another when you play it. I'm not saying that they couldn't release a DLC and be done with it, they probably could except the year they changed the engine. I'm just saying that a lot of people who dislike the game (most of them because they dislike the sport) say that the game is the same every year with just a roster update. And that's not true IMO.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Weird seeing people "europe this, europe that". Football is the worlds sport whether you enjoy it or not. Everyone but americans like it - and even then the game FIFA still sells pretty good in the US

The only thing that makes me doubt FIFA outsold RDR and COD in brazil as well is knowing which version people were buying. Lots of people still getting 18 or even 17 cheap here. I'm sure the combined sales of FIFA games would be on top anyway.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Happy for this, Fifa 19 is a good improvement over 18, and its a great game focused 100% on delivering fun gameplay.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mean graphics improvement like a more realistic crowd or more accurate player faces. I mean changes to the physics, the game feels different from one version to another when you play it

As I said, unless it's a complete overhaul or engine change that's nothing that couldn't be patched in. There have been games that underwent more drastic changes over the years without requiring to buy a new game.

GoaThief

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird because the best soccer game on the planet is still Rocket League.

I'll also accept Sensible Soccer as a runner up.

Seriously impressive though, how does Pro Evolution Soccer stack up against it these days? It would be nice to see some more competition in the field and/or a quality rugby game

Deleted member 34239

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 24, 2017
Happy for this, Fifa 19 is a good improvement over 18, and its a great game focused 100% on delivering fun gameplay.
I sincerely disagree and it's I can't think of a fifa in recent memory that I've played less than this one. It's all but ensured that I will almost certainly not be purchasing the game next year.

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Me too.

Konami basically decided to let EA dominating: competition is always good and that is something EA itself stressed last year at E3.

Nah it wasn't a "let" situation.

Konami or rather the PES Team didn't see what got important as early as EA did > Online Gaming.
Their online gamemodes are even today still trash compared to Fifa and they still don't have the minimum requirements down.

The 3 Community Managers actually talk about this currently/the last couple days on Twitter because another Patch is coming that doesn't really target all the issues people want to get fixed/changed for 4 months now.

They changed the game completely from Fifa18 over to 19 and in some parts it got really worse because it clearly was targeting Casuals.
Fifa 19 has a couple extremely overpowered gamemechanics that turned this game into a "Who is better at abusing said mechanics" Festival while trying to target the competitive players and Casuals at the same time which doesn't work.

With the Patch one of the game mechanics will get changed slightly but sadly not taken out while the one that made us use this game mechanic stays untouched turning this game probably into a Crossing Simulator to abuse the broken registration of the player&Ball Models instead.

They said some things can't be just taken out with a patch in the middle of the year because it would mess up tons of other things and they don't have time to readjust everything at the same time.

Many things are broken in Fifa and it gets more with each year.
You even have different versions of gameplay where it feels completely different from one minute to another - Player suddenly aren't able to run anymore,can't control the ball or other things.
They once aknowledged it at least by now its code related but won't go any deeper into detail and people shouldn't expect any change anymore for that issue in Fifa 19 and they hope they get to recode it for Fifa 20.
The Problem when you use the same base for probably 10 games by now.

Last edited:

Jamie OD

Oct 27, 2017
Europeans rather kick balls than watch shrinking horse testicles confirmed.

FIFA is massively popular in Europe and had a headstart launching earlier than RDR2 and CoD, so I guess it's not that surprising.

Also more dramatic storylines. Nothing in Red Dead 2 is as tragic as Huddersfield this season.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
As I said, unless it's a complete overhaul or engine change that's nothing that couldn't be patched in. There have been games that underwent more drastic changes over the years without requiring to buy a new game.

OK, we agree then. And just to be clear, I totally abhor the shitty gambling and even law breaking they commit with UT. And I don't like EA as a company either. But Konami and PES are just as bad as far as I know. I would really like more football games on the market, even if they wouldn't have real players names. I would love a more arcade football game and a basketball one too (NBA 2K is really awful with MT tool. I hope Nintendo gives Mario Strikers another chance.

Woetyler

Oct 27, 2017
KR93TA2.gif

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
This makes sense.
Europe didn't have cowboys till it imported them during the Spaghetti Western era, just like the US never got soccer...

You buy what you know.

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That was their exact wording? Because that's sounds like a really poor excuse.

https://twitter.com/tomcaleffi/status/1081352123088949248

While I appreciate the feedback, we can't add or remove mechanics in the middle of a game cycle. Every change requires tons of testing and affects a lot of different areas of the game That is why our patches are tuning and bug fixes only

Thats one of the time they said it.

Keep in mind.
At least they communicate between Devs and Players.
Something this Community NEVER had until this year because the previous Community Manager didn't even use his twitter or anything > He just took the money.
The Devs or Studioleaders obviously could tell them whatever they want and so could someone like Tom Caleffi do.

But at least they are starting to patch more often and react to Feedback.
Just sucks before the game gets good we are already looking at the next Game which will more than likely have many of the same untested issues.
Maybe in the same areas or just shifted to other areas.
Something is always HEAVILY broken in Fifa.

The Developers didn't know of issues that plagued Fifa for years like having different Gameplay all the time while its not Connection and apparently Server related according to them.
They just started looking into it this year while it was an issue since Fifa 15 which made it worse over the years with adding more and more shit into the game all the time.

Last edited:

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Almost all the casuals who I know that buy fifa games all the years have never touched ultimate mode, mostly because they find the idea of wasting money to play the game stupid.

Nah, FUT is very popular with the casual crowd. For a lot it has become the main attraction. Just today I saw some teenager opening packs on his phone.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, FUT is very popular with the casual crowd. For a lot it has become the main attraction. Just today I saw some teenager opening packs on his phone.

Guess that is moral a cultural thing I think, in my country using your credit card for digital gaming is considered a very dumb idea, but I guess than in places like europe or the USA where credit cards are most of time tied to digital accounts, these kind of game mode is more popular

Oct 25, 2017

For many people that's the only game they buy in that year so they don't mind

Dec 28, 2017
As someone who bought every reiteration of the game and made the mistake to spend some bucks on ultimate team, I do not find this outrageous. I think FIFA my by best selling game on consoles and pc in 2018.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Nah it wasn't a "let" situation.

Konami or rather the PES Team didn't see what got important as early as EA did > Online Gaming.
Their online gamemodes are even today still trash compared to Fifa and they still don't have the minimum requirements down.

Disagree and i played these games for so many years, most of my friends are that kind of audience that buy football games every single year no matter what.

The core appeal of these games is the local multiplayer experience, and very basic essential stuffs like the gameplay and the licenses (nobody wants to play with imaginary names, unrealistic faces,... you play these games because let's say if you're a Juventus fan, you want to see Cristiano Ronaldo in your team, playing a Champions League match against Real Madrid), and the basic gameplay experience of PES was far more technical than what FIFA is today.

But here's where Konami already intentionally let their fanbase run away by losing licenses every year, and last year they lost the most important one which was the Champions League, and visually also now it looks far behind FIFA.

Online gaming is a big win for EA, but it wasn't a big deal before: they realized how much money they could make with Ultimate Team, so shout out to them to create this mode but if i have to be honest, that mode was fun 3-4 years ago, now is all about the brand and nothing else, because for the past two iterations has become a very bad P2W experience.

i think many hardcore fans would like to play PES again, but Konami needs to step up their game, and it seems it is going worse for them every single year. So yeah it is becoming more and more a monopoly.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Living as someone who doesn't like football in a country where football is king can be confusing.
Conversations can go like this:

So what games do you play?

Me: Everything except sports and racing games.

But then... what games do you play?!

Me: Japanese Role Playing Games.

Ó.ò

Somewhat of a similar situation here except I love football and I live outside Europe, I just don't play football games.

Me too.

Konami basically decided to let EA dominating: competition is always good and that is something EA itself stressed last year at E3.

I think FIFA hoarding far more licenses hurt PES in the end, I remember hearing a lot of people complaining they got tired to pay full price to play with "London Blues" and such.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I think FIFA hoarding far more licenses hurt PES in the end, I remember hearing a lot of people complaining they got tired to pay full price to play with "London Blues" and such.

Yeah and it will only get worse every year especially now that EA is relying sooo much on sports games because the rest has been such a trainwreck for them.

They need something different to stand out, otherwise PES will always be considered the inferior football game.

If i was Konami CEO, i'd go wild with the few licenses they still have. Like let's make a good PES street game (that requires only licenses from players which they already have and not clubs or UEFA/FIFA tournaments) like FIFA street was but much more supported with online modes and such.