Status
Not open for further replies.

Raggen

Oct 7, 2019
They need to rethink Monaco. Not much to be done with the track format, but some sort of time trial race would have been fun.

Oct 27, 2017
With the track being what it is I wish they would do something more with the qualifying.

Do something like the Indy 500 qualifying yesterday. Have everyone go out on their own to set a time for four laps and then drivers can have their times erased for another shot.

The qualifying is usally the highlight here.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty boring race as was expected, but the outcome is terribly exciting for the Championship so I'm totally fine with it.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Boring race but great podium and great for the title fight this year. Also awesome to see Lando come P3, and seeing that livery up there at the end… man they should return to it for next year. No curse for a special livery this time!

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic podium, Mercedes dramatics, Checo and Vettel killing it... I'm very, very happy. I went into the race kinda wanting it to be boring after those quali results, and it ended up hitting the spot while also having some great moments and surprises.

TV crew dropped the ball, though. Badly.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I liked it. Monaco is always a procession, but it's still a good test of raw driver skill. Fun thing to have on your second monitor. *shrugs*

Carlos & Lando both on the podium is chef's kiss, and I'm always happy to see mah boi Seb doing well. Cool shit.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Like how could they even change Monaco without fundamentally moving the track elsewhere?

The only real part I can think of where they could widen it to increase overtaking is coming out of the tunnel and getting rid of the chicane and using the access road that is on the right down to the bottom? Although this seems... dangerous?

Games

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I liked it. Monaco is always a procession, but it's still a good test of raw driver skill.
I don't think it is a good test of raw driver skill when they can drive around off the pace though. If they actually had to push to the limit then yes, it would be a different story. Perhaps if Hamilton was in second he would have pushed Verstappen harder, or Verstappen pushing Leclerc, but typically the driver in second is happy to sit behind and preserve tyres and wait for something to occur.

On the plus side, it is nice that Hamilton is to blame for losing his championship lead this time, as opposed to the typical reliability issues. Yes, his team could have potentally made up a few places during the race without the bad pit call, but Hamilton kicked it all off with the poor qualifying. It should be entertaining to see how he recovers, and if Verstappen can maintain his form.

RXM027

Dec 18, 2020
Like how could they even change Monaco without fundamentally moving the track elsewhere?

The only real part I can think of where they could widen it to increase overtaking is coming out of the tunnel and getting rid of the chicane and using the access road that is on the right down to the bottom? Although this seems... dangerous?
Really dangerous, and it would actually make racing worse. It's very difficult to pass through the chicane, but it's practically impossible to pass someone through Tabac, especially with the increased speeds from removing the chicane. Plus, by removing the chicane, cars would probably be near 200MPH/320KMH coming into Tabac, which could result in a massive crash if someone gets it wrong.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine a more aptly timed gift for RB.

I think the race would only have been mildly entertaining with Leclerc having participated against Ver and Bot.

Same old story though, love Monaco. Hate Monaco. :P

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Hamilton not keeping his feelings towards the team/strategy a secret today during an interview:

Q: Any lessons you can learn from today to use in the future.
A: For me, personally? No.
Q: You and the team?
A: The team for sure.

edit: Found a link, question starts at 00:41

Last edited:

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Hamilton not keeping his feelings towards the team/strategy a secret today:
Listen, Hamilton is really calm and collected, he's a seven time WDC. He doesn't crack under pressure like Max does.

Or so Sky commentary and such YouTube channels as The Race tell me.

Oct 27, 2017
Will Power is very close to ending his chances of reaching the Indy 500 with a touch of the wall during his first attempt during the "Last Chance".

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I understand Hamilton being annoyed at the strategy but it's not like hes faultless, when hes the reason they qualified on 7th.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Hamilton not keeping his feelings towards the team/strategy a secret today during an interview:

edit: Found a link, question starts at 00:41

Must be rough to have had the right instincts to then listen to your team who had it wrong.

I understand Hamilton being annoyed at the strategy but it's not like hes faultless, when hes the reason they qualified on 7th.

That's rather a moot point no? Yes he qualified 7th but what's he supposed to say, oh should have qualified better? That's a given. Hamilton had a chance to not lose the title lead and it was squandered by a bad team call. He's gonna be annoyed.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
racefansdotnet-21-05-23-15-N-47-4.jpg

Amazing picture this.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Must be rough to have had the right instincts to then listen to your team who had it wrong.

I think the entire weekend left the wrong taste in his mouth. Today, but also on Saturday with Bottas and his side of the garage completely changing the setup moments before qualifying for the better. While Hamilton is always sharing all his data with the entire team. Then the strategy today being completely off. Don't think there's anything wrong with calling out the team in this case.

On another note, the top 3 had a lot of fun with each other during the post race presser:

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
what was the strategy and what went wrong?
Pitted to undercut Gasly but ended up behind him anyway where a wild Vettel appeared on top of it all. Perez also jumped ahead as well. So Hamilton pitted early and ended up even more behind when he had tire life to spare. Did you watch?

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Pitted to undercut Gasly but ended up behind him anyway where a wild Vettel appeared on top of it all. Perez also jumped ahead as well. So Hamilton pitted early and ended up even more behind when he had tire life to spare. Did you watch?
But why was necessarily the strategy's fault?
Usually undercut is beneficiary.
Also why wasn't Lewis that close to Gasly before pitting?

Oct 27, 2017
This depends on who made the final calls on car setup I guess?
The team apparently went in a different direction compared to what Hamilton wanted to do after Thursday's sessions.
Wolff said there was one particular aspect of tyre heating that had been discussed after Thursday practice and on Saturday morning and where the team could have taken a different direction.

Hamilton, who had struggled throughout practice, had been interested in pursuing that but the team had not done so.

"That was exactly the content of our discussions now, how can we go into an exploration mode when we expect much colder temperatures," said Wolff.
www.reuters.com

Hamilton talks tough with Mercedes after Monaco let-down

Lewis Hamilton was ready for "tough discussions" with Mercedes after Formula One's seven-time world champion qualified only seventh for the Monaco Grand Prix.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
But why was necessarily the strategy's fault?
Usually undercut is beneficiary.
Also why wasn't Lewis that close to Gasly before pitting?
Hamilton mentioned saving tyres so the original plan was probably based on pitting after Gasly. however Merc saw there was enough time to pit Hamilton without losing out so tried the undercut but Gasly was faster on his in lap than Hamilton was on his out lap so kept the place.

Benefit of hindsight really as the undercut is normally a good way to go, but only if you're capable of going a lot faster than the car in front. With the Merc not really performing this weekend for Hamilton combined with the short lap time meant he needed an immense out lap.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
what was the strategy and what went wrong?
The strategy was pitting him first out of the entire grid and what went wrong was Mercedes thinking that was a good idea. Went into the pits when he was in 6th and yet after everyone else also pitted he was in 7th, all while Bottas had to drop out of the race as well in the meantime so he really lost 2 places due to going in early. Perez overtook him with a margin of more than 8 seconds while Vettel got a gap of 6 seconds ahead of him. Losing 2 places due to a bad pit strategy is obviously bad, but on a circuit like Monaco where overtaking is nearly impossible it's a complete disaster.

TylerD

Oct 25, 2017
NASCAR @ Circuit of the Americas about to begin. 250 miles of racing! Inclement weather too!

Loved the podium lineup at Monaco. I still love Monaco in general even if the racing is lacking. You still have to execute and it's still motor racing so crazy things can and do happen. It is still freaking gorgeous to look at and it's tradition. Long may it live :)

The direction was shit though. No shot of train of cars going through swimming pool juking back and forth either :(

Zaphod

Aug 21, 2019
The qualifying for the 500 provided some excitement for today. Average speeds over 230mph and a few hundredth between the top 3.

I love Monaco, but the modern cars are too big for the track. I hope some solution is found to allow for a little passing.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'd enjoy seeing Indy cars go around Monaco at this point instead. I've seen them race in St.Pete and it's a fun race to watch.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017

The Mercs were sliding all over the track. I understand lewis' frustration but I really don't think that car could have done the overcut given the state of the tires. Lewis was in better condition than Bottas on tires, but clearly the Mercs had major issues at Monaco this weekend.

Also, their strategy decisions last week won him a race, so its not like Merc are generally fucking things up Ferrari style and getting outmaneuvered constantly.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I love Monaco, but the modern cars are too big for the track. I hope some solution is found to allow for a little passing.

I think the solution to Monaco is to reduce the number of laps and make the race shorter. The first stint is horribly boring tire management - the pit strategy is the only bit that works out well and the end section is cars hard charging within a second of the car in front and then... hoping they put it in the wall? You are never going to get rid of Monaco its too popular a race, but at least get it down to like a 60 minute affair and move on. The people in attendance just want to go to the after parties anyway.

Either that or have Prince Albert purchase some fire hoses and put them in Port Hercule and just spray from the tunnel to the start finish line with water every year.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Gutted for Charles. He deserved to start in the top 3.

At least Carlos on the podium and Merdeces had a trash weekend which is always good for Formula 1.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Ricciardo's pace in the McLaren is so bizarre. He keeps talking about struggling to adjust to the unusual driving style required to get the most out of the car, but I'm still not sure quite what that is. And then he set the fourth fastest lap of the race after being nowhere all weekend.

Either that or have Prince Albert purchase some fire hoses and put them in Port Hercule and just spray from the tunnel to the start finish line with water every year.
Yeah Monaco might actually be the best candidate for sprinklers during the race, at least with the current boats that are F1 cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.